BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?
View Quote

A tad, I don't think its a problem.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you like head shots at 100 yards?  I do.  

Close up (10 yards or so and under) I don't use the dot or backup irons.
View Quote

^ THIS right here ^

It's just like any other NEW thing, YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE , it's different than irons, so if all you've ever shot is irons there is a learning curve, you WILL NOT be faster with a RDS the first 2nd or even 5th time out.

More Accurate YES, As said above anything inside 10 yds YOU DON"T AIM

There is a GOOD REASON they are limited to OPEN division in competition.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Id really like to try one as Im cross dominant.  R handed L eye.  I think it would make my target acquisition a lot faster.  Cant justify the price just yet.  Also worried about the sight picture moving with recoil.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to add one on my revolver
View Quote

A buddy of mine put one on his super Redhawk, all holes touching @ 30 yards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rootbeer will fuck it up

6sec mount and T1 is best
View Quote

IWB?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry an FNX-45 Tac with an RMR. After a little bit of practice I am WAY quicker and more accurate wit hte RDS on my FNX.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm very interested in the RMS being made by the U.K. company Shield. I've shot a couple of RDS-topped Glocks and M&Ps and they are no joke fast. I was able to clear a plate rack in 3/4 time with a J-point topped 17 compared to my vanilla 19.

I personally believe you'll see a factory RDS topped pistol by the end of the decade. I think we're just entering the practical RDS phase. Think early 2000 for Aimpoints on M4s.
View Quote

Yeah I've been looking at the RMS it's low profile & you can use standard height sights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this is a stupid question, but what's the battery life like on average?  Are most mini-RDS model motion activated, or is it constantly on?  I sure a lot of that stuff will vary quite a bit by brand/model...just curious.  I've been seriously considering a 40mos for hog hunting, some of the Vortex offerings look reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

also this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread needs more 6 Second Mounts

also this.

Not the most carry friendly option.  Slide mounted is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking. Want. I'll SBR a glock one day and give it this treatment
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know this is a stupid question, but what's the battery life like on average?  Are most mini-RDS model motion activated, or is it constantly on?  I sure a lot of that stuff will vary quite a bit by brand/model...just curious.  I've been seriously considering a 40mos for hog hunting, some of the Vortex offerings look reasonable.
View Quote

RMR is 5 years constant on if I remember correctly.  Like an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I haven't said this often in the past couple of years, but I'm afraid this thread will cost me money.
View Quote

Right?  Dammiit......

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I honestly hated using one, even when I got used to it
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've shot a couple of pistols with red dots, and personally don't care for them.
I get quicker target acquisition and faster follow up shots with regular open sights.

Having said that, a lot of people really seem to like them.
View Quote

Came here to say this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

in the beginning you loose the dot. once you get used to it finding the dot is no longer an issue.
the side effect of that is when using irons you are faster, i was any way.

the only negative i found is rain. i shoot in all weather so i know what to expect. the sight i use is a burris Fast fire.
it got wet and that was it, the emitter and the glass dont work so well wet. the glass is 50/50 , the emitter needs to be dry.

I still really like to use it, nothing more to add that hasn't been said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shot an RMR today. My thoughts, it's to easy to loose the dot. I shot an older model with the fiber optic band. I could shoot my stock G19 much faster. I am sure it's a training issue, but non-the-less it has turned me off. My only interest in an RMR was to shoot my pistol at night with NV. I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's.

in the beginning you loose the dot. once you get used to it finding the dot is no longer an issue.

the only negative i found is rain. i shoot in all weather so i know what to expect. the sight i use is a burris Fast fire.
it got wet and that was it, the emitter and the glass dont work so well wet. the glass is 50/50 , the emitter needs to be dry.

Another member mentioned rain which had me skipping them, but thinking about it again.  What about the Trijicon in the rain, or this new RMS?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I've been looking at the RMS it's low profile & you can use standard height sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm very interested in the RMS being made by the U.K. company Shield. I've shot a couple of RDS-topped Glocks and M&Ps and they are no joke fast. I was able to clear a plate rack in 3/4 time with a J-point topped 17 compared to my vanilla 19.

I personally believe you'll see a factory RDS topped pistol by the end of the decade. I think we're just entering the practical RDS phase. Think early 2000 for Aimpoints on M4s.

I can't find much information on it other than the marketing articles.  For example, does it have the same foot print and mounting holes as an RMR or are you stuck with that milling on your slide if you decide to upgrade or you don't like the RMS?  Seems like the RMR mounting footprint is the industry standard same as the T1 is for bigger RDS.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Patiently waiting for Aimpoint to make an RMR sized sight.
View Quote

Yep, me too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones recommended for serious use on pistols, like CCW, are motion activated and have good battery life.  Still, it is generally recommended to change the battery when the time changes (daylight savings on and off) or some other easily remembered point, like you would your smoke detector and other optic batts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The RMR's are either tritium/fiber optic or battery powered and I think their battery models are good for 3ish years constant on. The only negative is you have to unmount the rmr to swap the battery.

Alternatively, I'm currently swinging off the deltapoint pro's nuts. Battery life isn't as amazing as the RMR, but Leupold has a VERY good active on/off battery feature. I'm on 4 months with mine so far. I also think the DP pro is hands down, a superior MRDS when compared to the other standard offerings.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

also this.

Anyone have any experience with the Suarez L-mount for RMR sights?  Seems like a great way to decide if you like the idea with out permanently milling your slide, at least until you're ready to make that commitment:

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been using the JPoint for several years, I now use the JPoint CD, have one on my pistol, rifle @ 45*, and shotgun.
Here's how it works on a SG
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]
RMR on my full size.

Not on my CCW but as red dots get smaller I'll Def consider it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Another member mentioned rain which had me skipping them, but thinking about it again.  What about the Trijicon in the rain, or this new RMS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shot an RMR today. My thoughts, it's to easy to loose the dot. I shot an older model with the fiber optic band. I could shoot my stock G19 much faster. I am sure it's a training issue, but non-the-less it has turned me off. My only interest in an RMR was to shoot my pistol at night with NV. I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's.

I just shot the 3Gun Nationals in Virgina DURING hurricane Mathew rained 6+ inches on Sat. shot in the rain all day, not a problem
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Anyone have any experience with the Suarez L-mount for RMR sights?  Seems like a great way to decide if you like the idea with out permanently milling your slide, at least until you're ready to make that commitment:

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mf8ff3236e38d21720891bef64da6613fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

also this.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mf8ff3236e38d21720891bef64da6613fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Look at dueck defense if you're interested in a quality MRDS mount that doesn't require milling. Strike industries apparently has their version of the same now that is quite a bit cheaper, but Idk how it is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My EDC 26 is Trij HD's only.

Home and Range is 19 w/RMR.

Love it. It's fast as hell both eyes open shooting. Take a few months to become automatic but when it does you'll love the RMR types.
http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u601/SLRrifleworks/Mobile%20Uploads/EED6D060-5EC8-4D4B-AE8B-F27495876B87_zps6w5myn2o.jpg
View Quote

That cerakote is badass
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because you've not put the time in to learn the track the dot. While not as easy as a frame mounted RDS it does get easier and down right 2nd nature. The only problem I have is after I go from RMR to a FO front sight I sometimes forget about the back sight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Its a complete paradigm shift...no longer are you focused on the front sight expecting COM hits at 25...satisfied with a volleyball sized 50 round group...with a dialed in RMR (and like it or not the Trij RMR IS the gold standard in pistol mounted RDS) mounted on a box stock G19/17 you are now making eyeball shots at 10-15, baseball sized 50 round groups on the head at 25, purposed, intentional head shots at 50, torsos out to 100+...like I said its a paradigm shift...no parallax to deal with, if the guns not perfectly aligned no problem, as long as the dot is on meat its a hit...

G17 and 19s are basically turned into holsterable PCC's with an RMR. My EDC for the last 5 years has been a nicely tuned G19 running suppressor sights, a threaded barrel, RMR01 3.25 moa dot in a Dale Fricke Arch Angel AIWB or a G34 threaded barrel, suppressor sights and an RMR06 3.25 adjustable dot in a DF Seraphim AIWB holster. Corbon 115 DPX in both.

My best long shot to date is man size steel at 300 COM 4 out of 5 rounds from a rest. Offhand 10" steel at 100 for a whole magazine. It accells not only at long range or allowing precision shooting at shorter ranges...its also deadly inside too. I am an old school point shooter inside 15 yards and pretty damn good at it too. Now I back up the point shooting with the RDS by simply making sure there is target in the TV Screen of Death...if there is meat in the window your going to score hits inside 10 yards dot aligned or not.

Its a game changa...

View Quote

"Its a game changa" oh captain my captain
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patiently waiting for Aimpoint to make an RMR sized sight.

Yep, me too.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I like my milled 19 but I don't carry it much

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#33]
For the last almost 90 days Ive been carrying  - and shooting weekly - a G19MOS. With an RMR05G. I carry  it in both an IWB and OWB holster (concealed). Once you train with it and get used to it, it is very fast and super accurate. I have the dual illumination version so battery changes and the subsequent poi changes is not an issue. Same with traveling from sea level to 6000 plus feet. The technology is advanced enough where it's rugged reliable and stays zero'd. I'm a huge fan and don't think it's a fad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't see how they won't be standard in the future, like rifle optics are now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How about for us old farts that need reading glasses? I have a hard time focusing on irons.
View Quote

54 year old eye here, I need reading glasses, I pick the red dot great sharp & clear without glasses, it will take a couple hundred rounds to master the dot, but I'd say it's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you like head shots at 100 yards?  I do.  

Close up (10 yards or so and under) I don't use the dot or backup irons.
View Quote

Yep....same here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

also this.

Look into the dueck defense mount. The owner is an honorably discharged vet. Suarez is a scum bag
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My bedside G17 sports a Veridian light and green laser combo. Irons are better for accuracy, but for fast and scared shots, it's quite effective.

I imagine the RMR is similar.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Red dots "for me" are much more accurate, but of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know about on the slide...but one that will go over the slide would work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Look into the dueck defense mount. The owner is an honorably discharged vet. Suarez is a scum bag
View Quote

Hey, God cared about him enough to tell him not to mass murder his former colleagues!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't see how they won't be standard in the future, like rifle optics are now.
View Quote

I bought my wife a dueck defense mount and a rmr 5 for her g19. I like it ok. She loves.it and has helped.her.immensely. It does help me accuracy wise a little bit but slows me down with rapid fire. Looks like I just need to shoot it more.

I wish there was a good way to mount it on a beretta
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hey, God cared about him enough to tell him not to mass murder his former colleagues!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that wanna be pirate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Just shot an RMR today. My thoughts, it's to easy to loose the dot.

View Quote
If the dot is loose, cant you just tighten it up?

I thought they gave you a little wrench with those things.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, love mine with a Deltapoint Pro + backup sight. Aligning the irons brings the dot right into view and the larger window really helps keep the dot visible during recoil.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been really wanting to try a deltapoint pro on a glock. looks a lot better than the rmr which I hear has a lot of issues (adjustable version).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep, love mine with a Deltapoint Pro + backup sight. Aligning the irons brings the dot right into view and the larger window really helps keep the dot visible during recoil.

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/handguns/g19.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really thinking about trying that mount and optic out before I mill my slide. How bad was the learning curve?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Carried a RMR'ed 19 for 6 months to get a feel for it. As with most optics on weapons it decreases the training time to shoot at a given standard. I was faster and more accurate than I was with irons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#49]
6.5 moa RMR / G17 here.

Longer or more precise shots are a LOT easier, but it made me a lot slower for regular qual distances (0-25yds). Most of the slowness was trying to find the damn dot on my initial draw, and between shots.

I'm sure it's a thing that the speed is curable, but unless you have a specific purpose for needing one (eyes, nvg, training), sticking to regular pistol sights is still the way to go.

I would not want it for a CCW or a duty gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really thinking about trying that mount and optic out before I mill my slide. How bad was the learning curve?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad at all. Much easier to shoot this combination than the Walther PPQ + RMR I had earlier. The difference is how quickly the natural alignment of the irons on presentation pulls the dot into view, and how well the larger window on the DP Pro keeps the dot visible during recoil. Once you try a DP Pro you will no be happy with an RMR...
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top