Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/19/2016 6:47:16 PM EDT
Probably neva been done befo, but I'd like to hear from guys who routinely CCW a micro RDS on their handguns. What are the benefits and draw backs from such a set up. I'm considering a glock 19 MOS with a RMR06 as my EDC but I'm concerned about durability as well as practicality.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one on my carry gun, but I do on my SHTF gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Got nothing to add, interested also.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I edc a glock 30 with a rmr06

Every single person that has shot it has said they need a rds on there handgun in the future
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We're moving into the "game changer" area. Not there yet, but soon.

Like with carbine optics, once the ACOG Ta31 and the Aimpoint m2 dropped, we had tough-as-nails daytime visible optics in wide issue.

I don't know what is necessary to get handgun optics up to the same level, but stuff like the Trijicon RMR and the Geissele ALG 6-second mount are getting the ball rolling towards the better (best?) mousetrap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine. Glock 29.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Dots on pistols make a huge difference in hitting small targets (or far away targets).

For me, and for the kind of shots I could realistically see me needing to make with a handgun (read: close and scared shitless) iron sights are just as fast if not a touch faster.

Naturally, YMMV, everyone has different eyesight, hand-eye coordination, etc.  But for me, the RDS isn't the "game-changah" on the pistol like it is was on the rifle.

Irrespective of my personal opinion, the trend is here to stay.  USPSA has a "Carry Optics" division now, and it's proving to be pretty popular.  Several manufacturers are offering models already cut for optics.  I can't wait to see what the next few years brings to market.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ful integration.  Battery, emitter, adjustment system... all built into the slide from the factory.  Only the actuall sighting window protrudes from the top of the slide.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to admit, I thought it was silly at first.

Now I carry a 19mos with RMR everyday.

I love it. After a couple of range trips it feels very natural now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got a new one going to go shoot it Friday.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Going to add one on my revolver
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Benefits: more accurate shots at longer ranges due to smaller dot.
Don't have issues with multiple focal planes, can focus on the target and not have blurry front sight; old man eyes.
Don't have to align up sights rear to front, front to target; especially on weird off angle shots
Should not be any slower to use than irons if you practice.
Use above a suppressor if you carry that way

Issues: possible battery issues
Possible fogging issues in winter
Possible sight failure due to mechanical issues
Possible issues with water or foreign material on the screen to prevent a clear view of the red dot or backup irons
Possible learning curve.
Possible astigmatism issues with red dot.

Back up irons help mitigate some of the issues above.
" />
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to add one on my revolver
View Quote

It's a Judge aint it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Rootbeer will fuck it up

6sec mount and T1 is best
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm very interested in the RMS being made by the U.K. company Shield. I've shot a couple of RDS-topped Glocks and M&Ps and they are no joke fast. I was able to clear a plate rack in 3/4 time with a J-point topped 17 compared to my vanilla 19.

I personally believe you'll see a factory RDS topped pistol by the end of the decade. I think we're just entering the practical RDS phase. Think early 2000 for Aimpoints on M4s.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does lint and crud get on the RMR lens and obstruct the dot ever?
View Quote

Let me be clear... Check my avatar.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Just shot an RMR today. My thoughts, it's to easy to loose the dot. I shot an older model with the fiber optic band. I could shoot my stock G19 much faster. I am sure it's a training issue, but non-the-less it has turned me off. My only interest in an RMR was to shoot my pistol at night with NV. I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep fucking around and NOT ordering the Vortex I need for the new M&P CORE I just bought...and the one I will be picking up soon.

SO I need two of them.

ETA: Fuckin' bastages!!!

Your order is confirmed. Thank you for your purchase! Should you have any questions about the status of your order or wish to modify a current order, please contact [email protected]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Patiently waiting for Aimpoint to make an RMR sized sight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Its a complete paradigm shift...no longer are you focused on the front sight expecting COM hits at 25...satisfied with a volleyball sized 50 round group...with a dialed in RMR (and like it or not the Trij RMR IS the gold standard in pistol mounted RDS) mounted on a box stock G19/17 you are now making eyeball shots at 10-15, baseball sized 50 round groups on the head at 25, purposed, intentional head shots at 50, torsos out to 100+...like I said its a paradigm shift...no parallax to deal with, if the guns not perfectly aligned no problem, as long as the dot is on meat its a hit...

G17 and 19s are basically turned into holsterable PCC's with an RMR. My EDC for the last 5 years has been a nicely tuned G19 running suppressor sights, a threaded barrel, RMR01 3.25 moa dot in a Dale Fricke Arch Angel AIWB or a G34 threaded barrel, suppressor sights and an RMR06 3.25 adjustable dot in a DF Seraphim AIWB holster. Corbon 115 DPX in both.

My best long shot to date is man size steel at 300 COM 4 out of 5 rounds from a rest. Offhand 10" steel at 100 for a whole magazine. It accells not only at long range or allowing precision shooting at shorter ranges...its also deadly inside too. I am an old school point shooter inside 15 yards and pretty damn good at it too. Now I back up the point shooting with the RDS by simply making sure there is target in the TV Screen of Death...if there is meat in the window your going to score hits inside 10 yards dot aligned or not.

Its a game changa...

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rootbeer will fuck it up

6sec mount and T1 is best
View Quote

right here
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#22]

What kind of IWB rig are you using for that ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#23]

That would be useless on that awesome setup because I would not be able to see over my giant erection
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
" />

DO IT!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I want a 6 Second mount and T1 for my G19. Just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't said this often in the past couple of years, but I'm afraid this thread will cost me money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
If you go RMR for your carry gun, just be damned sure you get a big enough dot that it is visible without having to search for it.

I have several - and for a carry gun I'd want the 6.5, 7 or 9 moa dot.  The 6.5 I have on an AR even takes searching in daylight. In a gunfight, without extra time to locate the dot, the larger moa units might be more practical.

My Ruger 22/45 has a 3.5 moa dot and it's accurate but not fast. My FN 45 Tac has a 9 moa dot and is good to go for combat style target acquisition, but it also sports an IR laser for night time and you don't need to line up on the sights then...just put the laser on the target and shoot.

I sincerely suggest looking through the various RMRs to find the size and color dot that you can acquire fast enough in bright daylight - so as not to be a detriment to combat shooting.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#28]
For gaming and playing and being non commital about the concept a 6 Second Mount and T1 is fine...for deadly EDC an RMR mounted into the slide is best...period...try EDC a 6 second T1 set up in a tee shirt...an everyday shirt...cant be done effectively enough to go unnoticed in an NPE. GLOCK MOS is ok but falls short of a dedicated slide cut for an RMR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've shot a couple of pistols with red dots, and personally don't care for them.
I get quicker target acquisition and faster follow up shots with regular open sights.

Having said that, a lot of people really seem to like them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Thread needs more 6 Second Mounts
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Benefits: more accurate shots at longer ranges due to smaller dot.
Don't have issues with multiple focal planes, can focus on the target and not have blurry front sight; old man eyes.
Don't have to align up sights rear to front, front to target; especially on weird off angle shots
Should not be any slower to use than irons if you practice.
Use above a suppressor if you carry that way

Issues: possible battery issues
Possible fogging issues in winter
Possible sight failure due to mechanical issues
Possible issues with water or foreign material on the screen to prevent a clear view of the red dot or backup irons
Possible learning curve.
Possible astigmatism issues with red dot.

Back up irons help mitigate some of the issues above.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=92067" />
View Quote

How are you liking Obsidian?  I put in the Form 4 in May, along with a Form 1 for my CZ Scorpion.  Plan on pairing those for the most time, but I'm an M&P whore, so my M&Ps will wear it a lot.  I've got a full size, compact, shield, and a long slide CORE.  I'm REALLY debating throwing a red dot on the CORE, you think it works well?  Can you see the irons at all?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#32]
How about for us old farts that need reading glasses? I have a hard time focusing on irons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you like head shots at 100 yards?  I do.  

Close up (10 yards or so and under) I don't use the dot or backup irons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
My bedside G17 sports a Veridian light and green laser combo. Irons are better for accuracy, but for fast and scared shots, it's quite effective.

I imagine the RMR is similar.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just shot an RMR today. My thoughts, it's to easy to loose the dot. I shot an older model with the fiber optic band. I could shoot my stock G19 much faster. I am sure it's a training issue, but non-the-less it has turned me off. My only interest in an RMR was to shoot my pistol at night with NV. I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's.
View Quote

in the beginning you loose the dot. once you get used to it finding the dot is no longer an issue.
the side effect of that is when using irons you are faster, i was any way.

the only negative i found is rain. i shoot in all weather so i know what to expect. the sight i use is a burris Fast fire.
it got wet and that was it, the emitter and the glass dont work so well wet. the glass is 50/50 , the emitter needs to be dry.

I still really like to use it, nothing more to add that hasn't been said.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

For gaming and playing and being non commital about the concept a 6 Second Mount and T1 is fine...for deadly EDC an RMR mounted into the slide is best...period...try EDC a 6 second T1 set up in a tee shirt...an everyday shirt...cant be done effectively enough to go unnoticed in an NPE. GLOCK MOS is ok but falls short of a dedicated slide cut for an RMR.
View Quote
The Glock MOS really shines though when you look at the fact that pistol mounted RDS tech is advancing, and maybe in 3 years a new RDS will be out that bests current options.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I haven't said this often in the past couple of years, but I'm afraid this thread will cost me money.
View Quote

See above a few post.....I am $229 poorer

Fuck GD, you people are a bad influence!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
GLOCK MOS is ok but falls short of a dedicated slide cut for an RMR.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#39]

That is freaking badass! Been wanting a G29 for years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dots on pistols make a huge difference in hitting small targets (or far away targets).

For me, and for the kind of shots I could realistically see me needing to make with a handgun (read: close and scared shitless) iron sights are just as fast if not a touch faster.

Naturally, YMMV, everyone has different eyesight, hand-eye coordination, etc.  But for me, the RDS isn't the "game-changah" on the pistol like it is was on the rifle.

Irrespective of my personal opinion, the trend is here to stay.  USPSA has a "Carry Optics" division now, and it's proving to be pretty popular.  Several manufacturers are offering models already cut for optics.  I can't wait to see what the next few years brings to market.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ful integration.  Battery, emitter, adjustment system... all built into the slide from the factory.  Only the actuall sighting window protrudes from the top of the slide.
View Quote

Get out of my head guy. I agree completely with everything you said.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't have one on my carry gun, but I do on my SHTF gun.
View Quote

This.... makes point shooting and follow ups FAST.... I can't see carrying one daily tho..
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#42]
If you can put a round up a fleas ass at 50 yards with open sights, then something like the RMR 06 on a G19 allows you to do it
at 100 yards at night under Nods.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Safari land is starting to make duty holsters cut for RMR'S if that tells you anything.

Personally, I shot a pistol with an RMR and it felt weird, it went against all iron sight pistol shooting training. You have to pick your head up higher and look over the irons. I'm sure with practice it becomes second nature, but for now I am much slower with an RMR as I have to consciously pick my head up and search for the dot.
I think if you get one and learn to shoot well with it, would have to stick with it across the board. Switching btw carry guns w/ and w/out I think could have you behind the curve one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I got a pretty big bonus at work a couple of years ago and bought an FNX Tactical and RMR. I don't CCW it although I have a couple of times under big hoodies. It's a sweet night stand gun though. It's super fun at the range, but it takes a lot of practice to draw and find the dot quickly in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just got a new one going to go shoot it Friday.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/Sith_Yarael/Sigp320odg_zpsme1xurfo.jpg
View Quote

Badass motherfucker!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thread needs more 6 Second Mounts
View Quote

also this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Tagged for info.
I've always wanted to try this, but I assume the slide would have to be milled, drilled, tapped?

And then that would have to be for a specific mounting pattern on a specific RMR?

How many guns come with the flat already cut? I don't recall ever seeing that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tagged for info.
I've always wanted to try this, but I assume the slide would have to be milled, drilled, tapped?

And then that would have to be for a specific mounting pattern on a specific RMR?

How many guns come with the flat already cut? I don't recall ever seeing that.
View Quote

Glock and M&P.  are pre-milled....well some models.

Those with a novak cut rear site, some mounts are made for some models.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I have an RMR on my M&P.

It's way easier to track than a front site with old guy eyes.

I thought it was bullshit till I tried it.

Game changuh!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have to admit, I thought it was silly at first.

Now I carry a 19mos with RMR everyday.

I love it. After a couple of range trips it feels very natural now.
View Quote

I completely agree.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top