Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/16/2016 9:01:10 AM EDT
Looking for a general use scout type rifle. I would like it to have iron sights. Most likely in .308, but I like the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
why not just use an AR?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
The ruger scout?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why not just use an AR?
View Quote

Whats wrong with his question?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why not just use an AR?

What's wrong with mine?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Steyr Scout ?  buy here
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ruger scout?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it was 1989 guns and ammo. Had a big article on OMG scout rifles. I read it. Thought * wtf is the point of that. Tossed the magazine in the garbage lol
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The Savage Scout rifle looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
M1 Garand

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's wrong with mine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
why not just use an AR?

What's wrong with mine?

While Ive used a 556 to cull a lot of deer it's not my first choice in a hunting round.

6.8 or a .300 would be better but if Im just loafing around the woods or seriously hunting I prefer more traditional rifles. Like my 16" .45 colt 92
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]

I always thought the 527 looked neat.  I wonder if anyone makes a durable rear peep sight for them?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, the OP put this question in GD rather than a technical forum.

Medicfrost did ask a valid question and that topic is a whole subforum on Scout Rifle.org. An AR15 with one of Wolf Ammo's 6.5 Grendel uppers would be very close to what the late great Saint Colonel Jeff Cooper discussed in the back pages of Guns & Ammo magazine back in the early 1970's during the times of the African bush wars. I'm planning on getting one of the $400 6.5 Grendel uppers for such a build. *

I'll defer giving any specific firearm recommendation since your stated needs are rather vague. My recommendation is to goto that scout rifle forum and research your interest in depth. They're nice enough folk but are not tolerant of any GDish shenanigans(they like their bolt actions and 1911's, so you better color inside the lines there). I registered there since I wanted help with converting a bubbaized Swedish M96 into what they call a PScout, which stands for Pseudo-Scout. They've been friendly and helpful thus far to me.

Good luck in your quest, those things can get almost as expensive as AR15's.

HTH,
wganz

*  Linkage to story here, goto 4th paragraph about half way down the page.
Besides the Type 91 upper, Wolf is making a 6.5 Grendel upper and it will retail for $400.
View Quote

ETA: corrrected misspelllings and format.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
M60  .. comes with iron sights and in 7.62
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Ruger Scout or Savage Hog Hunter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Buuba'd Ishapore 2A
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Can you get an MVP with irons on it?

My friend had one without them in .308, nice shooting gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Remington 7
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Be a man. Rifle, No. 5 Mk I i.e. the Jungle Carbine.

You have another shoulder to use after you get done shooting it. Plus .303 is readily available
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#19]
The CZ is a good choice.  Model 7 laminate would work nicely.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While Ive used a 556 to cull a lot of deer it's not my first choice in a hunting round.

6.8 or a .300 would be better but if Im just loafing around the woods or seriously hunting I prefer more traditional rifles. Like my 16" .45 colt 92
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
why not just use an AR?

What's wrong with mine?

I'm talking about an AR in .308.  Get one with a 14.5" barrel and perm muzzle device, and you have higher capacity and faster follow-up shots than you will with a bolt action.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm talking about an AR in .308.  Get one with a 14.5" barrel and perm muzzle device, and you have higher capacity and faster follow-up shots than you will with a bolt action.
View Quote

True,  But it's also going to be quite a bit heavier and more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And no where near as handy

How much do 14.5" ar10s weigh?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About a pound more than a traditional Scout rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shot one the other day and was impressed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#25]
My vote is an ares scr with a 6.8spc or 6.5g upper. You get the best of both worlds - bolt gun ergonomics, and the ar15s semi auto and large ammo capacity. Just sucks they don't make a .308 version
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Polymer stocked Ruger Scout was my answer when I went through this. Very happy with that decision.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My vote is an ares scr with a 6.8spc or 6.5g upper. You get the best of both worlds - bolt gun ergonomics, and the ar15s semi auto and large ammo capacity. Just sucks they don't make a .308 version
View Quote

I was just thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You have another shoulder to use after you get done shooting it. Plus .303 is readily available
View Quote

Only if you're a sissy......
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Find yourself a Mosin M44 carbine.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Buuba'd Ishapore 2A
View Quote

Did someone say Bubba'd Ishapore?

That's exactly what I did and made my own scout rifle.

Mit und suppressor. ja!

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wonder if the Ares will be legal post Hillary.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it will not be.  nothing will be.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes and they make a scout version as well, both in 5.56 or .308.  I happened to be looking at their website today and was wondering what folks thought of them and their odd bolt.  From some reading they seem to be pretty accurate and the 5.56 seem to be reliable while the .308 has had some hiccups for some folks.  I've never seen one, much less handled or shot one, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes and they make a scout version as well, both in 5.56 or .308.  I happened to be looking at their website today and was wondering what folks thought of them and their odd bolt.  From some reading they seem to be pretty accurate and the 5.56 seem to be reliable while the .308 has had some hiccups for some folks.  I've never seen one, much less handled or shot one, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy has one of each.

They are pretty nice. A lot lighter than the Ruger Scout rifle which, in my opinion I would not want to carry around for very long. That thing is a tank for being a bolt gun. seems heavier than a Garand or M1A.

I know the Garand IS heavier, but the scout just "seems" to feel heavier.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#35]
None semi-auto  MAS 36

Semi Auto M1 Tanker Model
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to pick one up next week in .223. Not sure which model yet. The scout or the patrol both look good.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#37]
The savage scout 11 is a nice accurate gun
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#38]

I like that!  Details please?  I've got one of the Ishapore fake jungle carbine guns and need a new rear sight and I'd like to change the front sight out and put an AAC threaded brake on it.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#39]
How about 300 B.O.
14.5" Barrel, Pinned Spikes Comp, Chrome Bolt, Fortis Hammer CH, CZ Scorpion Iron Sights, Lightweight/slim Rail, QD Sling Swivels

Freshly built with MBUS

Now with correct height CZ sights
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Crappy aluminum sights ruin that rifle IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or a Spanish FR-8. Steyr Scout isn't bad, either, although the irons are backup sights and I think they make them out of plastic now rather than "iron".
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or a Spanish FR-8.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a Spanish FR-8.

I really wish I would have bought an FR-8 when they were fairly common.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a Spanish FR-8.

I see several for sale every month online.  There's always at least a couple on Gunbroker.  Prices aren't as good as they used to be, but that's true for most milsurps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
complaining about expensive in relation to a rifle project.
poster please!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

They are pretty nice. A lot lighter than the Ruger Scout rifle which, in my opinion I would not want to carry around for very long. That thing is a tank for being a bolt gun. seems heavier than a Garand or M1A.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The laminate stock adds a lot of weight to the Ruger.  The Hogue version is a half pound lighter than the MVP.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The laminate stock adds a lot of weight to the Ruger.  The Hogue version is a half pound lighter than the MVP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that is something to look into then.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#48]
For me, nothing beats a Styer.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought into the scout concept when I was just getting interested in guns about 5 years ago. I decided to modify a Mosin to make a pseudo scout. I bought one of those BrassStacker scope mounts, bought a long eye relief scope, and all of a sudden I had a 350 dollar, 10 pound rifle that balances horribly, and has sat in my gun case for 4.5 years. The scout rifle doesn't really do anything all that well. I would advise you to buy a 308 AR with a free float rail, and mount an aimpoint. The aimpoint does everything a scout scope does, and does it better.

Whatever you do, do not buy one of those stupid factory Scout rifles. Overpriced and way overhyped.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top