Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Were there any unarmed guests?  Perhaps those two women towards the end?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Were there any unarmed guests?  Perhaps those two women towards the end?
View Quote

the ones in the saloon when the one host went crazy and killed everyone.   Im not sure about the black family by the river either.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What I wonder is that there was no mention of the synth that Ed Harris scalped.  It was like the employees didn't notice that one of their synths went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off script and is probably really dead/deactivated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the wild bill hickock looking dude that Anthony Hopkins was drinking with was the 2nd oldest host in the park and looked like shit, Delores is the oldest but has been continuously rebuilt and is still going.  I get the feeling she will be the one to lead the robot revolution, her "father" broke his programming after finding the picture of the real world and made the mistake of letting the programmers know.  Delores has been around long enough and seen enough hosts lobotomized to keep her mouth shut good and tight and not let on that she broke her programming.

ETA: In her final interview before the end of the episode she was asked if she had ever hurt a living thing and answered no, immediately after she sways the fly.  Tells me she is able to lie to the programmers.
View Quote

Delores  is the oldest active host in the park, not the oldest machine... I agree, she is self aware and doesn't want the icepick.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I also wonder what the black programmer said to the father before he went into cold storage.  He was tearing up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]
This show how some serious layers.

Every re watch I noticed something new.

Seriously one of the best shows to come out in a long ass time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

interesting theory.  Cause I was wondering how guests could tell the skin jobs from the other guests.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I noticed all the guests who were armed were wearing a shade of purple, even the man in black had a dark purple tie on. I wonder if it will be a color of the day or the only color used for wear if you are an armed guest.

interesting theory.  Cause I was wondering how guests could tell the skin jobs from the other guests.

If they follow the original, the sensor on the pistol will tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Starting to sound like Jurassic park with Robots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I finished the first episode. Actually me and a bud watched it simultaneously  (He lives in the UK)

We both came to the conclusion that Anthony Hopkins character is actually a synth himself
and that explains why he is putting "mistakes" in the programming of the other synths.

The show is probably going to keep this a secret till near the end and then reveal he has been a synthetic human all along ( A robot of sorts)

I think the big clue was when they went into the sub-levels and saw him having a drink and conversing with the other robots as if he was their equal.

Mark my words, he will probably be responsible for some sort of coup where the other robots take over the main command center.

There was also a conversation between the lady and the British programmer where he tells her there is a "hidden agenda" behind the project their working on.
Another clue that the park is meant to be more than a tourist destination. The bigger plot is that they're working on perfecting artificial intelligence and
Anthony Hopkins is part of the touring test in which they have yet to discover he is a robot himself , programming the other robots.  

Yes both were written by Michael Crichton.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I can't remember which two people but it was between the workers. It was along the lines of when does your stint end or some such which made it seem like it was a commitment on the employee part and not something they could walk away from or leave whenever they felt like it.  Which could indicate a place (of world) not easily accessible by conventional travel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

It was between two of the managers, and it implied they work a rotation like an oil rig or seagoing vessel. Couple weeks on, couple weeks off.

Was sub level 83 a set from the movie? The big globe sculpture figured prominently and now I need to go watch the source material to see if they paid homage. There were a few mentions of the past, "we haven't had a serious incident in 30 years", and Dolores is one of the oldest androids in the park. Apparently she gets all the shit jobs because she has been rebuilt and repaired so much she has few original parts left.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I remember the original. Ed Harris is a damn good fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just watched the original a week ago.  I think Ed Harris is a good choice for the Gunslinger.

I remember the original. Ed Harris is a damn good fit.

I'm not convinced he is intended to be Yul Brenner re-activated. In any event, putting Ed Harris in that role means it has a lot of potential so I am really looking forward to watching his story unfold.

Was that a Lemat revolver he was toting?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Black Hole Sun, and elsewhere Paint It Black was heard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody watching?  Interesting so far.  

Anyone catch what the player piano in the saloon plays?  

Black Hole Sun, and elsewhere Paint It Black was heard.

I laughed when I realized the theme was Paint it Black. It was almost subliminal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I noticed all the guests who were armed were wearing a shade of purple, even the man in black had a dark purple tie on. I wonder if it will be a color of the day or the only color used for wear if you are an armed guest.

Purple is historically the color of royalty, so it could be adopted to identify humans.

I liked the way they set up the Teddy story line only to have it run headlong into Ed Harris. Nice little mind fuck there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I wonder is that there was no mention of the synth that Ed Harris scalped.  It was like the employees didn't notice that one of their synths went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off script and is probably really dead/deactivated.
View Quote

I may be reading too much into the episode, but is it possible that no one knows the Gunslinger is there?  He is looking for the "deeper game" (or however he referred to it), which I assume to mean that he's looking for the real AI that, as far as we know, lives or is developing under the surface.  The company that runs the park would likely not want him fucking around with that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The inclusion of guest families was interesting as were their comments.  That father said, "The other side of the river is the 'adult side'".  So there is still a Disney aspect to this as well as the obvious Hedonism/Vegas side. (Also, I'm curious if you get to keep your winnings if you play poker there, like Vegas.  Like maybe the dealers are programmed to lose/payout every so often at random times.)

The 'anger' when the droids revolt is going to be epic. Dolores's Father/Former Psycho Cult leader model said something in his interrogation about seeing horrible things happen to his 'daughter' over and over.  And they showed a bit of that in the reflection of Teddy's dying eye as she was being drug off to be raped.  So imagine having the memory of seeing your daughter or girlfriend being raped and killed in horrific ways, thousands and thousands of times.  

There is a lot of material to work with here.  I'm looking forward to it.
View Quote

Black Science Guy already let out that Anthony Hopkins managed to figure out a way to allow the synths to access memories of their previous lives.  Imagine it's like a hard drive, and when you format it you're not actually erasing it, just freeing up those areas to be (eventually) overwritten.  If you have the skill, you can still read the data that was originally written there.

Add in the little scenelet from the previews where Thandie Newton says, "I've died thousands of times.  How many times have you died?"

The latest update lets the synths remember their whole history, not just their latest programming, and they're pissed off about it.  

Quick aside, totally unconnected to anything important: About the name "Delos".  Anyone here recognize who Delos David Harriman was?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Watched the first ep, really good. Have not seen the old movies or read the book so maybe my question is answered in there somewhere

Knives are obviously a thing, and guests might not be able to tell a host from a guest..... so how to they keep guests from stabbing/raping/killing each other under the impression it is a host?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I know nothing of the story, but I found the first episode compelling.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#20]
When Ed Harris was riding off, he had the skull plate of the card dealer on his saddle.
On the inside there was an image, a maze or a map?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#21]
When they say "we haven't had a critical failure in 30 years", it doesn't necessarily mean that they did have a critical failure. It could mean that the park has been open for 30 years without incident. The man in black said he's been coming there for 30 years, which could mean that he's been coming there since it first opened.

It could be another fake out by the writers. People are just assuming that "something" happened 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Posting the characters names and actor - to help me from getting confused...

Feel free to make corrections.

Dr Robert Ford - Anthony Hopkins // park founder, creative director
Dolores Abernathy - Evan Rachel Wood // oldest host in the park
Teddy Flood - James Marsden // host, Dolores romantic interest
Maeve Millay - Thandie Newton // prostitute house mom
Clementine Pennyfeather - Angela Sarafyan // prostitute
Armistice - Ingrid Bolsø Berdal // Hectors sidekick girl with the guns
Theresa Cullen - Sidse Babett Knudsen // operations manager
Bernard Lowe - Jeffrey Wright (aka black science man and/or Bond CIA dude) // head programmer
Elsie Hughes - Shannon Woodward // engineer (she kissed the Clementine host)
Lee Sizemore - Simon Quarterman // head story writer
Hector Escaton - Rodrigo Santoro // most wanted guy
The Man in Black - Ed Harris (aka The Gunslinger) // main antagonist?
Ashley Stubbs - Luke Hemsworth // head of security

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When Ed Harris was riding off, he had the skull plate of the card dealer on his saddle.
View Quote

I thought that was part of the mechanism/circuitry/positronic matrix. Kind of like seeing Cdr. Data's insides.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bernard Lowe - Jeffrey Wright (aka black science man and/or Bond CIA dude) // head programmer

View Quote

That helps. As we saw with Dolores' father being deactivated, and the barkeep replacing him, roles can get reassigned. That will make things interesting.

The reveries added in the latest update allow the hosts to access old memories, so not only will we see apparent depression as in Dolores, we will probably see downright psychotic behavior as old records interact with new programming.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are some good looking women on this show.  Armistice cleaned up is a hottie Norwegian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some good looking women on this show.  Armistice cleaned up is a hottie Norwegian.

She liked her shotguns, went from a Winchester 1887 to an 1897 and sprayed some lead.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
He is also in Hunger Games and Source Code.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Boardwalk Empire as well.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing I have to add; that isn't black science man - it is the Bond CIA dude.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.46861263.5230/flat,800x800,075,t.jpg

http://www.badazzmofo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Felix-Leiter-4.jpg

And in Ride With the Devil.

He's been in a lot of movies.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Company logo?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing I have to add; that isn't black science man - it is the Bond CIA dude.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.46861263.5230/flat,800x800,075,t.jpg

http://www.badazzmofo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Felix-Leiter-4.jpg

also... Venture Bros

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quick aside, totally unconnected to anything important: About the name "Delos".  Anyone here recognize who Delos David Harriman was?
View Quote

Entrepreneur guy from Heinlein?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Or some kind of rebel droid underground 'religious' symbol.  Kind of like the Jesus Fish back in the days of Roman Persecution.

We assume Dolores is the first to 'wake up', but maybe there is already an insurgency.  Like Neo waking up in the Matrix, he wasn't the first, there was already a rebel faction that spanned generations.  Maybe that's what the MIB suspects and is tracking down.

I'm telling you, there are a lot of cool ways to go with this show.  Hope they don't Fear The Walking Dead it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Company logo?

Or some kind of rebel droid underground 'religious' symbol.  Kind of like the Jesus Fish back in the days of Roman Persecution.

We assume Dolores is the first to 'wake up', but maybe there is already an insurgency.  Like Neo waking up in the Matrix, he wasn't the first, there was already a rebel faction that spanned generations.  Maybe that's what the MIB suspects and is tracking down.

I'm telling you, there are a lot of cool ways to go with this show.  Hope they don't Fear The Walking Dead it.

Odd place to put it if so.

Since the hosts are manufactured on site, I'm going with logo (or some other synth functional part) until demonstrated otherwise...
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#35]
The first thing that came to mind when they started discussing the hidden agenda for the park was getting the robots to the point where they could pass for human outside the park.  And an image of someone we know is a robot sitting behind the Resolute desk saying "Good evening, my fellow Americans..."

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I finished the first episode. Actually me and a bud watched it simultaneously  (He lives in the UK)

We both came to the conclusion that Anthony Hopkins character is actually a synth himself
and that explains why he is putting "mistakes" in the programming of the other synths.

The show is probably going to keep this a secret till near the end and then reveal he has been a synthetic human all along ( A robot of sorts)

I think the big clue was when they went into the sub-levels and saw him having a drink and conversing with the other robots as if he was their equal.

Mark my words, he will probably be responsible for some sort of coup where the other robots take over the main command center.

There was also a conversation between the lady and the British programmer where he tells her there is a "hidden agenda" behind the project their working on.
Another clue that the park is meant to be more than a tourist destination. The bigger plot is that they're working on perfecting artificial intelligence and
Anthony Hopkins is part of the touring test in which they have yet to discover he is a robot himself , programming the other robots.  

The original Westworld and J Park share a common theme regarding how easy it is to introduce chaos into a system.

The Pirates of the Carribean reference in Jurassic Park was a nod to the original Westworld, in that Michael Crichton got the idea for Westworld after imagining what it would be like if the animatronics at Disney went haywire.

Regarding the conversation about what the 'management" wants, I get the impression the writers are importing a plot item from the film Futureworld.  If so, i can see the reason why there is a push for ultra-realistic hosts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The first thing that came to mind when they started discussing the hidden agenda for the park was getting the robots to the point where they could pass for human outside the park.  And an image of someone we know is a robot sitting behind the Resolute desk saying "Good evening, my fellow Americans..."

View Quote

That is the Futureworld reference I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also the movie Vice with Thomas Jane and Bruce Willis which it appears to be emulating more than the original Westworld.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She liked her shotguns, went from a Winchester 1887 to an 1897 and sprayed some lead.  

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/7/71/WestS1E01_22.jpg/600px-WestS1E01_22.jpg.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/38700000/Ingrid-Bols-Berda-ingrid-bols-C3-B8-berdal-38719193-2313-3000.jpg

If you look close after she picks up the 1887 she switches between 3 different guns before she bends down to pick up another. Every time she takes a shot they cut away from her and when they cut back she has a different gun in her hands.

1887, 73, and one I couldn't tell...maybe a 92.

.....editors

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone find the sub basement lvl interesting?   Looked like an old abandoned mall or airport.  Had an escalator and old art statues.  Be interested what the current world looks like.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

i believe it's an abandoned mall in inglewood, CA.. same mall that was in minority report when cruise was running away with that future telling freak and she was telling him when to stop and when to go
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yeah she does.  I thought she was kind of hot in her synth way but then saw her real pics and was blown away.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think the Anthony Hopkins character is helping him.

If the Anthony Hopkins character really has hidden some kind of secret "higher level" in the world then maybe he has noticed the Ed Harris character getting close and is tweaking things to keep him off the radar.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think the Anthony Hopkins character is helping him.<br>
<br>
<br>
If the Anthony Hopkins character really has hidden some kind of secret "higher level" in the world then maybe he has noticed the Ed Harris character getting close and is tweaking things to keep him off the radar.<br>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Quoted:</span><br>

I think the Anthony Hopkins character is helping him.<br>
<br>
<br>
If the Anthony Hopkins character really has hidden some kind of secret "higher level" in the world then maybe he has noticed the Ed Harris character getting close and is tweaking things to keep him off the radar.<br>

Possibly.  Its interesting how he knew to choose that particular synth.  Not sure if they all have that map or only a few?  I doubt Ed is on the visitor list.  
maybe he's from the previous incident 30yrs ago and was never deactivated.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder if they will spill into the other worlds like in the original?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wonder if they will spill into the other worlds like in the original?
View Quote

well we dont know if there are any other worlds.  for all we know its just westworld.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Just finished the first episode. Jesus this show has so much fucking potential!
I love all the really subtle acting on the part of the robots; the little details that just seem barely unnatural.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Guess I have a new show to watch.  Been needing a new one.  Just finished S1 of Quantico, which was annoying.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#48]
For anyone interested.  Got this in my email today from HBO NOW.
discoverwestworld.com

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#49]
From memory there was an access code sent out for that site previously.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top