Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 9:01:52 PM EDT
Brother bought a new IR air compressor. Single phase 230V with 3 wires. He is trying to plug it in to a Honda generator with a NEMA L14-30 plug. He has the correct male plug and was wondering what wires went where. Compressor power lead wire colors are Black, White and green. I am assuming black and white are the hot wires, and correspond with the left and right holes in the outlet, that leave the green wire, does it go to the L shaped locking hole on top or the bottom one? I can get more info if needed.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes on the 240V outlet the L shaped prong is ground. The others are the 2 legs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
How many horse? If 5 hp I don't think the gen can do it.
I'd use a tester to figure wiring.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The L shaped one is the ground.
Directly across from it is the neutral.
The 2 sides are the hots.

Assuming you are sure it's a 230v motor,
The black and white are hot. Green ground.

That isn't that big of a generator, compressors use ALOT of power to start.

BTW this is one of them questions that if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BTW this is one of them questions that if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing this.
View Quote

I'm not doing it, but I did some searching of the generator manual online, and had him send me the tag on the compressor motor so I know its a 230v 1 phase motor. I also think that the generator is undersized but he wants to try it. Is there a chance of damage besides tripping a breaker if the compressor is too big? Electricity is something I try to stay away from unless I have to, but I am better at reading and research than my dad and brother so they referred to me on this. I told them to have it hard wired in under the house.

Max amperage of motor is 21.
Honda Rates the generator for 20.8Amps 500KW max(30min run time), 18AMP 4500KW continuous, with the ability to do 29.1AMP 7000KW for a 10 second surge to "start heavier equipment".
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What got confusing when I was researching diagrams for them is the terms "ground" and "neutral ground" showed up in the same diagrams for the plugs. Its not my equipment so I don't want to just wing it and steer them wrong.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not doing it, but I did some searching of the generator manual online, and had him send me the tag on the compressor motor so I know its a 230v 1 phase motor. I also think that the generator is undersized but he wants to try it. Is there a chance of damage besides tripping a breaker if the compressor is too big? Electricity is something I try to stay away from unless I have to, but I am better at reading and research than my dad and brother so they referred to me on this. I told them to have it hard wired in under the house.

Honda Rates the generator for 20.8Amps 500KW max(30min run time), 18AMP 4500KW continuous, with the ability to do 29.1AMP 7000KW for a 10 second surge to "start heavier equipment".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how "reliable" that tiny breaker is.
Also, depends on the generator's ability to keep 240v at 60hz. Too low of a voltage, or to far off of 60hz and you can toast the motor of the compressor.

Depending on how "close" the generator is to running the compressor, you can install a "hard-start capacitor". This can help the start up.

The max amperage of the motor is a running amperage. That compressor is gonna pull a fuck-ton of amps on start-up, especially with a full tank. I still don't think it's gonna work, but go for it. Might be surprised.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also, depends on the generator's ability to keep 240v at 60hz. Too low of a voltage, or to far off of 60hz and you can toast the motor of the compressor.

Depending on how "close" the generator is to running the compressor, you can install a "hard-start capacitor". This can help the start up.

The max amperage of the motor is a running amperage. That compressor is gonna pull a fuck-ton of amps on start-up, especially with a full tank. I still don't think it's gonna work, but go for it. Might be surprised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there a "LRA" rating on the compressor motor name plate?

Can you post a pic of the name plate?
View Quote

Standby I deleted it. Having him resend.

Edit I found it,
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there a "LRA" rating on the compressor motor name plate?

Can you post a pic of the name plate?
View Quote

Or a "motor code" on the motor nameplate?  Either way you are on the hairy edge with that small of a generator.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I would use a voltmeter to see which legs are hot. A 240V anything could not care less what the grounding system is. It's just there to help prevent injury due to a short circuit and to trip a breaker if needed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Picture posted above
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a 5hp motor.  You got WAY too small of a generator to even think of starting that.

You would need one of the big generac portables in the 20kw range to do anything with that big compressor.  Don't even waste your time hooking it up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is a 5hp motor.  You got WAY too small of a generator to even think of starting that.

You would need one of the big generac portables in the 20kw range to do anything with that big compressor.  Don't even waste your time hooking it up.
View Quote

Thanks again guys. I think I have talked my brother in to paying a electrician to wire in a 50AMP outlet or two.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Starting current is much higher than 150 percent of full load current, more like 600 to 800 percent as a rule of thumb but only briefly and quickly tapering down to the Full Load Amps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top