Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2016 6:39:53 PM EDT
Shoulder holster

Fall is upon us and this year I am determined to carry with a shoulder holster.

Year back I carried this way in the fall and winter and it was always comfortable.

Who carries with a shoulder rig and what model/name?  

ETA:

Vertical ?

Horizontal ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Galco Miami Classic II.
Love it.  Great for in a vehicle and you can carry comfortably at home while in a t-shirt and underwear.  
Excellent concealment with a good sized piece if you wear a jacket or untucked, open shirt over a t-shirt.
Take some time getting the adjustment right before you trim the leather.  It needs to be higher and more snug than you might initially think.
ETA: Miami Classic II.  Mine has open mag pouches.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galco Miami Classic.

Love it.  Great for in a vehicle and you can carry comfortably at home while in a t-shirt and underwear.  

Excellent concealment with a good sized piece if you wear a jacket or untucked, open shirt over a t-shirt.

Take some time getting the adjustment right before you trim the leather.  It needs to be higher and more snug than you might initially think.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The rig from FIST holsters is the only one I ever tried worth a darn.

Carries vertically, but the "thumb snap" is down by the trigger guard, so it draws straight out like a horizontal rig, just grab the gun and pull.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I found one of these LBT nylon holsters on Ebay for about $30.  Works great for me.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LBT-0370A-London-Bridge-Trading-Co-Gold-Black-Label-Vertical-Shoulder-Holster-/222238040305
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have five Ares Tactical holsters and I love them. I have three shoulder holsters from him, one for my Beretta PX4, one for my Glock 17 and a custom multicam one for my Glock 19/X300U. I also have a Tanker holster he makes for my Beretta M9. For standard OWB holsters I have one for my P30/X300U. He does really good work, his build times are reasonable and he is a member here. I highly recommend you check them out.

http://www.arestactical.net/?product=shoulder-holster
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry sometimes in a galco jackass.

Been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Wut?

Are Miami Vice re-runs airing again?

Don't fucking wear a shoulder holster. They are ghey as aids.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wut?

View Quote
Are you calling John McClane gay?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Null SMZ. Very concealable even under a super-thin dress shirt. I got it for the rare occasions when I need to wear a tuxedo. It draws well and is comfortable, though the retention method is a bit off-putting (it has a snap around the inside front of trigger guard, and the gun must be pressed towards that snap to draw). I'd only ever use it on a gun with a reliable safety.

I'm looking at getting a Galco Classic Lite for my J-frame for when I wear a suit.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wut?

View Quote

This doesn't apply to the ones that hold MP5K's. Those are badass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wut?

View Quote
You speaking from experience or projecting?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my should holster, with a tee shirt and unbuttoned loose shirt
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I own AresTactical.net and we do a lot of shoulder holsters. I've liked them since Miami Vice. Some people have problem with OTHER people wearing them. Typically because the of muzzling. Of course these are often the same people pointing a gun at their nutz and/or femoral artery or muzzling themselves putting their gun into a holster on their belt.

I know, for me, I don't carry on my person all the ammo I should. Having a shoulder holster means I'll be carrying two full size mags. Though we've done New York reloads (two pistol rigs) too They can be comfortable. They can also be a little time consuming to set up all the adjustable straps to get it to carry just how you like. It goes much faster if you model it and have someone else work the straps.

I like horizontal. They typically don't require a tie down strap, but some who carry low (as opposed to close to the armpit) like them for stability. Of course, horizontal limits the pistol size for printing. That limits me to a G19/XC1 or my typically carry Sig P320C/XC1.

There are two big problems. First, no range that I know of will let you draw from a shoulder holster. So, you'll need to dry fire practice at home or a private range. Get that muscle memory built. Second, you need to keep your cover garment on. For example, you go out to eat and it's hot in the restaurant. With a hip holster you could shrug your coat down and cover your pistol or untuck your shirt to conceal your firearm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I carried one for a couple years and it was very comfortable. I lived in AK at the time though. Then I moved to south Texas and went to the IWB just for the reasons mentioned above. No fun to conceal in the heat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a sudden hankering for a shoulder holster as well.  I carried one back in the day with a Beretta 92 and it was great for non-summer carry. I'm looking for a vertical one to avoid sweeping people behind me; that is the one thing that has caused me to rule out a horizontal shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Galco Miami Classic.   They make a vertical version too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Alessi Bodyguard with offside dual mag pouch, the barrel is almost horizontal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
There are only two acceptable shoulder holsters, the Firepower rig, and a tanker holster.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Galco Vertical rig whenever temperatures allow for a sport jacket, vest, or cover garment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Carries vertically, but the "thumb snap" is down by the trigger guard, so it draws straight out like a horizontal rig, just grab the gun and pull.
View Quote

The 70 or 70A?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 70 or 70A?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 70 or 70A?

I had the 70.  There was just the one option like 15 years ago when I ordered it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Ken null holsters ... Got some nice ones
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Highnoon holsters

Just wore it this wknd, forgot how comfortable it can be, especially on a long drive.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wut?

Yeah I'm a flaming homo and I wear a shoulder holster, so there's that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like my should holster, with a tee shirt and unbuttoned loose shirt
View Quote

That's how I'm going to start wearing my kahr cw9 in a few weeks, the weather is finally getting nice and cool in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#26]
ok, magnum PI...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alessi Bodyguard with offside dual mag pouch, the barrel is almost horizontal.
View Quote

This.  Alessi has wider straps over the shoulder than galco, also if you want to carry something 1911 size you can cant the muzzle up by adjusting the straps.  If you watch MV you'll see DJ did this with the bren and SW645, horizontal rig but the strap is tighter on the muzzle end so the gun is canted at about 45.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are only two acceptable shoulder holsters, the Firepower rig, and a tanker holster.

Kharn
View Quote

Sam's work is incredible....if you're not looking to carry an arsenal, his Monarch Rig is great and comes with some pretty cool offside options.

ETA - He also did the rigs for the new Magnificent Seven movie.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#29]
The only time I wear shoulder holsters is when I deliberately want to use a crappy holster that flags myself and other on the draw which is slower and super easy to block.

So... almost never.

I say almost because occasionally I wear a colt cobra in an upside down shoulder holster in some cases where I don't actually want to carry, but kind of do, but probably don't need to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Mitch Rosen is what you seek.

I've worn one of Mitch's shoulder rigs for many years.  It's comfortable and more importantly, absolutely secure for your weapon.  YMMV, but this has worked extremely well for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Galco vertical holster.

3 trips to the desert, putting armor on once or even several times a day and crawling into a helicopter.

Still wearing it 11 years after purchase.

Only worn around town in the colder months.

Its durability, and other posts around here make want to try a Miami classic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#32]
MadCap72, I can clearly see you are a triple tabbed chairborne commando. Your extensive experience impresses everyone

The shoulder holster is just a tool, much like you. As with any carry system there are strengths and weakness. Wearing a shoulder holster allows a much easier draw while seated. That is why its popular with driver-type people. Also, you can discreetly stage your hand on the pistol by crossing your arms. Yes, there is some technique on how to do this. You can draw and not flag yourself. Get training. Can't say you won't flag anyone if you wear a horizontal holster. Combine a quality gun and training I doubt it will randomly fire in a direction the shooter doesn't intend.

Quoted:
The only time I wear shoulder holsters is when I deliberately want to use a crappy holster that flags myself and other on the draw which is slower and super easy to block.

So... almost never.

I say almost because occasionally I wear a colt cobra in an upside down shoulder holster in some cases where I don't actually want to carry, but kind of do, but probably don't need to.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a Null SMZ. Very concealable even under a super-thin dress shirt. I got it for the rare occasions when I need to wear a tuxedo. It draws well and is comfortable, though the retention method is a bit off-putting (it has a snap around the inside front of trigger guard, and the gun must be pressed towards that snap to draw). I'd only ever use it on a gun with a reliable safety.

I'm looking at getting a Galco Classic Lite for my J-frame for when I wear a suit.
View Quote

The Null SMZ is superb. My PPK frankenholster features the SMZ holster, a Bianchi harness, and a Galco Classic Lite mag pouch.

The Galco rigs are solid. I've used a Miami Classic, VHS, and Classic Lite - they all work well, but will require a lot of adjustment until you get them where you want them for comfort and concealment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So... almost never.

View Quote

Fallacy you don't get to pick when you need a gun
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So... almost never.

Truth, which is why even when I feel I don't need to... I'll check the box even if it's with a reduced effectiveness  set up.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Galcos are nice.  The only thing I don't like about them is I wish the straps were made of a thicker and wider gauge of leather.

Sooner or later, if you hang around shoulder holsters enough, you will want a custom made one.

I love mine.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

MadCap72, I can clearly see you are a triple tabbed chairborne commando. Your extensive experience impresses everyone

The shoulder holster is just a tool, much like you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The shoulder holster is just a tool, much like you.
lols

As with any carry system there are strengths and weakness. Wearing a shoulder holster allows a much easier draw while seated. That is why its popular with driver-type people. Also, you can discreetly stage your hand on the pistol by crossing your arms. Yes, there is some technique on how to do this. You can draw and not flag yourself. Get training. Can't say you won't flag anyone if you wear a horizontal holster. Combine a quality gun and training I doubt it will randomly fire in a direction the shooter doesn't intend.

Quoted:

So... almost never.

So you say get training, list places that allow draw from a shoulder holster and reputable trainers that teach shoulder holster tactics as well.

Since you seem knowledgeable, how do you overcome the lack of facilities that allow use of shoulder holsters, as well as things like USPSA and IDPA matches but more importantly ad-hoc local practices which are great things to get into for decent practice?

How long have you been carrying with a shoulder holster vs a more common modern holster? What types of training have you received that lead you to the conclusions you have  posted? What is the speed difference between your drawing and firing with a pre-staged hand on a shoulder holster and no hands on a normal draw?  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Galcos are nice.  The only thing I don't like about them is I wish the straps were made of a thicker and wider gauge of leather.

Sooner or later, if you hang around shoulder holsters enough, you will want a custom made one.

I love mine.

View Quote

Agreed

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Mitch Rosen, finally got one, love it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wut?

View Quote

The hell is wrong with you?

I prefer Miami Classic or the Jackass rig, depending on what I'm carrying. For full-sized 5" pistols, the Jackass works best. For my Glock 19/P01, the MC.

Not a fan of the MC2.

I don't bother with the vertical rigs, I just go with a tanker style holster; but I only use those if I'm wearing bibs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Safariland 1090 with a S&W 4566 TSW.

As pictured: http://www.cobratactical.com/Safariland-1090-Gun-Quick-Shoulder-Holster_p_3626.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Galco Miami Classic for a G17 and a 1911

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Galco Miami Classic.

FPNI

This
CZ 75 two mags
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Galco Miami Classic II.

ETA: Miami Classic II.  Mine has open mag pouches.

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Shoulder holster

Year back I carried this way in the fall and winter and it was always comfortable.

ETA:

Vertical ?

Horizontal ?

View Quote
Make sure you get something with a solid tie down or a backstrap. I carried one overseas when in PTs, and the pistol would always swing forward and get in my way. Course, mine was a POS Hadji Holster

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Make sure you get something with a solid tie down or a backstrap. I carried one overseas when in PTs, and the pistol would always swing forward and get in my way. Course, mine was a POS Hadji Holster

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoulder holster

ETA:
Vertical ?
Horizontal ?

Pretty sure I have the same holster
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Only when shit gets deep.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I like shoulder holsters, they serve a good purpose in my opinion. I love mine (Galco Jackass) for when I'm gonna be doing a lot of driving or yard work and similar circumstances. I use mine all the time and it conceals well with anything from a light jacket to a baseball jersey or other option depending on attire. I also like them for easy on and off access (without a belt and tie-downs) and for days when I don't wanna wear a belt.

Plus, my usual method o belt carry is crossdraw. So it gives me a similar cross body draw stroke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So... almost never.

View Quote

Nah, there are ways to draw and press out that don't flag anymore then appendix  (well, less so since appendix flags people with cocks).

Blocking is whatever, you can draw and shoot from retention pretty fast in a shoulder rig.

Speed isn't really any slower IMO, but I've never actually clocked it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Cool, all the pouges and non shooters are doing it!  Seriously though, they are worthless shit unless you are just carrying around an empty pistol and a pt belt to a chow hall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top