User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pro-tip: Mercury is quickly absorbed through the skin. Don't touch it.
View Quote

Elemental mercury, no.  Organomercurial compounds, yes.

We're talking elemental mercury here.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs to use a Ferguson.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
That was pretty cool.

I didn't know that someone could but casks of mercury and bars of tungsten.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Grade school teachers used to pass it out to us in class to play with for science class.  We would pass it from student to student...No big deal.
View Quote
Kid dropped a 5lb jar of it in science class while the teacher was out at lunch.  We swept up what we could and skimmed the dirt off and tossed it.  The reclaimed mercury was dumped in a larger jar but that classroom was forever contaminated.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Alexander Calder built a fountain that pumps mercury.  it is in Barcelona Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FnF5zUPEE

The mercury  ninnies in this thread are scarier that the mercury
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Alexander Calder built a fountain that pumps mercury.  it is in Barcelona Spain.

View Quote

That is housed in a glass structure.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Probably related to his mining operation
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where the hell would a person get all of that Mercury? shit can't be cheap.

Probably related to his mining operation

He mines his own.

You can also get a good bit from old thermostats.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOW housed in a glass structure.  It was openly displayed for decades,starting with the 1937 World's Fair.

Mercury is not plutonium.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NOW housed in a glass structure.  It was openly displayed for decades,starting with the 1937 World's Fair.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm maybe 75 years worth of medical and toxicological science behind mercury exposure might have something to do about it........
But this is ARFCOM and were above all that stupid sciency stuff
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish this video could be shown to the poor kids that got put on lock down and quarantine at a high school when there was a small mercury spill.

There seems to be no middle ground between those that dont think it is a big deal and those who make it way bigger a deal than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:00:39 AM EDT
[#11]
in before his kelation therapy
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wish this video could be shown to the poor kids that got put on lock down and quarantine at a high school when there was a small mercury spill.

There seems to be no middle ground between those that dont think it is a big deal and those who make it way bigger a deal than it needs to be.
View Quote
There was a reason he did the demonstration outdoors.  The huge black plastic tub was for containment. 90% of the time there was water over the mercury which would prevent offgassing. It didn't appear to have much if any escape the metal bucket under the toilet. Temperatures probably kept Gass production low regardless.

Mercury was probably from a mining operation where it is used to recover fine gold then run through a retort to separate the gold and recover the mercury.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got access to a sealed 5lb container of bulk grade Hg that a relative wants me to "get rid of" for them. thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got access to a sealed 5lb container of bulk grade Hg that a relative wants me to "get rid of" for them. thoughts?
View Quote

Werewolf bullets?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
in before his kelation therapy
View Quote

Incidental contact won't hurt him.  He's okay unless he sniffs the vapor when he smelts his gold back out of the amalgam.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I hereby declare that mercury should replace water in all toilet advertisements, like how they use the infamous mysterious blue liquid as a proxy for blood in maxi pad commercials.

Then again, not sure I've ever seen a toilet commercial.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hereby declare that mercury should replace water in all toilet advertisements, like how they use the infamous mysterious blue liquid as a proxy for blood in maxi pad commercials.

Then again, not sure I've ever seen a toilet commercial.
View Quote

I've got powerflush toilets, that could be interesting

Imagine dropping a loaf on top of a bowl of mercury.  No sinking.  It just sits there.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. It is very heavy and with absorb into the pores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. No.

Ironic that a group of guys who handle lead and lethal machines on a regular basis are worried about a remote risk like touching mercury.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was in school our science teacher had a big jar of mercury. He came around to each table and poured some into a paper plate and let us play with it and see how it reacted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#20]
In this thread:
We discover who doesn't understand basic chemistry or biology.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people have learned the hard way that mercury is toxic.  To try to say otherwise is silly.  Maybe you and some others played with mercury as kids, I'm sure a percentage of people could probably handle a live rattlesnake and not get bitten but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Crazy ass Cody. Hand dip to flush the toilet at 8:00 minutes lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44
View Quote

Dude has WAY to much time on his hands.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A lot of people have learned the hard way that mercury is toxic.  To try to say otherwise is silly.  Maybe you and some others played with mercury as kids, I'm sure a percentage of people could probably handle a live rattlesnake and not get bitten but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Handling elemental mercury is about as potentially harmful to your health as handling .22LR.
Ingesting elemental mercury isn't even all that dangerous.  You body just doesn't absorb it readily.

Yes, it can be dangerous if a high concentration of the vapor is inhaled or if it gets in your blood stream and blocks capillaries.

Methyl / dimethyl mercury on the other hand is many times more dangerous, as it can be readily absorbed through the skin.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The ninnies here in NV locked down a school full of kids OVERNIGHT.  They went full retard.  Sure, the mercury needed to be dealt with - but the hazard is the vapor.  locking people in a building with a spill?  Idiots.

The middle ground is reasonable safety and mitigation.  Going batshit crazy & tearing out a gymnasium floor was not the middle ground.  Once the EPA got here we had about 900 parents locked out & told nothing - more fear mongering.

Then some idiot told the parents to wash the kids clothes in HOT water...

Mercury is not food.  It is also not plutonium.  Lead is equally dangerous - and the ninnies are going after that too...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mail it to Cody, his "About" page lists his contact info.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Times change.

If somebody drops an old fashioned thermometer and breaks it they bring in a hazmat response team.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Use to work for an oil and gas company that had gallons of the stuff.

They used to use it in some of their measuring devices.

We played with it all the time.

But even we rednecks new to make sure we had no cuts.
View Quote

This.

The refinery I worked at (back in the 70s) had a building with a ton of old meters in it with the mercury leaking out of them. It was fun to play with. Still have a 2oz. bottle of the stuff that I saved. It's amazing how much a small sample can weigh.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The ninnies here in NV locked down a school full of kids OVERNIGHT.  They went full retard.  Sure, the mercury needed to be dealt with - but the hazard is the vapor.  locking people in a building with a spill?  Idiots.

The middle ground is reasonable safety and mitigation.  Going batshit crazy & tearing out a gymnasium floor was not the middle ground.  Once the EPA got here we had about 900 parents locked out & told nothing - more fear mongering.

Mercury is not food.  It is also not plutonium.  Lead is equally dangerous - and the ninnies are going after that too...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember the story.

As a "kid" in that high school I would have been gone at the first sign of full retard.   Arrest me, expel me, wouldnt give a damn.  Cannot find me while going through the roll call?   Ohwell go into full anic I guess I was disolved by the mercury blob.

Only thing that kept me at high school was the sport I played at the time.   Despite that I managed to nearly get kicked out my sophmore year and that was without having an excuse.

Something like this, basically keeping me prisoner over something so stupid, yeah I am gone at the first oppotunity and would fight if it came to it.

This country is getting more and more stupid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]
It's like handling any other material use common sense and wash your hands.

I have things in my Aquarium that are far deadlier to handle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#30]
wow i had no idea arf had so many butt hurt safety scientist

oh the noes mercury will kill ya with a bad glance

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just like lead

OMG stop reloading and shooting!!!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The flush pattern was cool...
View Quote

Yeah, that was really cool and seeing the lead bullet floating on top.  Neat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#33]
It's so harmless you can cook your breakfast on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#34]
In the old days a miner would cut a hole in a potato and make a crucible.

Put a bit of mercury in the hole and drop some gold dust on the mercury.

The gold would adhere to the mercury. Then he would put the potato on some coals to melt the gold and form a nugget. Meanwhile the mercury turned to vapor.
Often times this was done in a tent or enclosed shanty with poor circulation.

As heavy as gold is and seeing it float is pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a shame that that stuff is so toxic... because mercury is a damned cool material.
View Quote

Look up gallium.  It is a solid but melts at 85.5 degrees F.  Safe to play with too.  My son has some and it's cool to melt in hot water and cast things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wait and see what condition that package arrives in. USPS will destroy it and create an international incident.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just wait and see what condition that package arrives in. USPS will destroy it and create an international incident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least they wouldnt ship it air like UPS probably would...

I still want to see what a SMALL amount of mercury could do to the aluminum of an aircraft's frame.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top