Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2016 9:12:44 AM EDT

FALSE ALARM, put your PMag covers back on, return to your basement dwelling Cheetos and mountain dew fueled printer repair.

Note to all readers. This information was in error. I had an attorney
who represents many FFL’s across the country with license matters as
well as NFA cases. I’ve consulted with him several times on these types
of matters. He informed me there has been no change in the law or BATF
policy. Local law enforcement does not have to do the fingerprints.

So nothing has changed this was an error caused by some rather unclear information on the ATF website.

My apologies for creating a stir.

Phil

View Quote

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

Fingerprints
must be submitted on Fingerprint Identification Cards, FD–258 that have
been issued by ATF. The fingerprint cards must contain the following
ORI information: WVATF0900; ATF–NATL EXPL LIC, MARTINSBURG WV. These
fingerprint cards may be obtained by contacting the Federal Explosives
Licensing Center at 877-283-3352 or the ATF Distribution Center at 703-870-7526 or 703-870-7528. The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority.

View Quote

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

Firearm Blog goes further into it: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/27/breaking-batfe-changes-nfa-fingerprint-requirement-must-now-completed-local-law-enforcement-authority/
I'm unsure of how much weight this change actually carries, but it's not good.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
FATF
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i always ordered them off their website and they would arrive within a business week. i've also always had them done for free at the PD. i always do the old ink pad style and there is nothing retained by the PD... what's the problem with this again?

eta: i see. a qualified person can no longer do it. only PD
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
How would they know where they were completed?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Uhhh... That's not how this works. The ATF would have to create new Forms 1 and 4 to make this change. To my knowledge, they haven't done that. That explosives FAQ is the same one that SilencerCo was pushing as "evidence" that Silencer Shop's kiosks were illegal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i always ordered them off their website and they would arrive within a business week. i've also always had them done for free at the PD. i always do the old ink pad style and there is nothing retained by the PD... what's the problem with this again?
View Quote

The fact it exists at all.  Maybe we should require fingerprinting before being allowed to vote
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

there's blocks on the cards that require the person doing the prints to fill out including who they represent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
What the fuck
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some police departments wont do them because they are to "busy" or they charge an arm and a leg for it. Also under the previous finger print ruling they would allow you to do your own.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some police agencies refuse to do it for you
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats for Explosives License, FFL and FEL have always required law enforcement to take the prints.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#11]
This is in regards to Explosives Licensing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats for Explosives License, FFL and FEL have always required law enforcement to take the prints.
View Quote

So this does or does not effect form 1 and form 4s?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Defer to the language on the Form... Until that is changed, business as usual.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Q&A wasnt changed for the form 1/4. So as of now nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I have some of those very finger print cards on my desk right now.  I am getting my fingerprints done this afternoon.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now I think that there might be a case for suing them into doing prints for NFA via denial of a right.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These little bastards make my head hurt
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Silencershop has to be pissed about this.  Weren't they making fingerprint kiosks for their dealers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I worked for my local PD (not as a cop, just a lowly nonsworn dreg), I would fingerprint the public.  I would have to sign, and also stamp the PD's info onto the cards, and provide a written receipt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if it is b/c all the new applications they got had some smudged up prints that couldn't be read.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Firearm Blog was made aware of this change in the law by a major
(anonymous) gun store in the United States, who wrote to us:

Last Friday 09/23/2016 The [business name] was made aware
that there have been changes made to how fingerprints have to be done
for NFA items.  This change was made that morning.  At the time were
would fingerprint customers when sending off paperwork.  This not longer
is allowed by the ATF.  Fingerprints must now be done by the local law
enforcement authority.  This information was conveyed to us by the gun
store across the parking lot, [other business name].  It was brought to
their attention by a customer who was looking to submit a Form 1.  
Neither of us have been contacted by the ATF so far to inform us to this
change.  It was out of pure chance that we were made aware and had this
not happened we would have most definitely sent out fingerprint cards
done by us internally which we had been doing.

I don't know, sure that link is from the explosives side of it, but it seems like it's something they are pushing for in the NFA realm.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know, sure that link is from the explosives side of it, but it seems like it's something they are pushing for in the NFA realm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Firearm Blog was made aware of this change in the law by a major (anonymous) gun store in the United States, who wrote to us:

Last Friday 09/23/2016 The [business name] was made aware that there have been changes made to how fingerprints have to be done for NFA items.  This change was made that morning.  At the time were would fingerprint customers when sending off paperwork.  This not longer is allowed by the ATF.  Fingerprints must now be done by the local law enforcement authority.  This information was conveyed to us by the gun store across the parking lot, [other business name].  It was brought to their attention by a customer who was looking to submit a Form 1.  Neither of us have been contacted by the ATF so far to inform us to this change.  It was out of pure chance that we were made aware and had this not happened we would have most definitely sent out fingerprint cards done by us internally which we had been doing.

I read the article. The dealer heard from another dealer, who heard from a customer, etc.

Most dealers are pretty clueless when it comes to NFA, customers, even more so.

Again, it links to the FEL FAQ, which has always stated that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Silencershop has to be pissed about this.  Weren't they making fingerprint kiosks for their dealers?
View Quote

Probably ATFs little fuck you for the truck load of forms they sent em before 41F

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Security Clearance fingerprints.......yawn
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Firearm Blog was made aware of this change in the law by a major (anonymous) gun store in the United States, who wrote to us:

Last Friday 09/23/2016 The [business name] was made aware that there have been changes made to how fingerprints have to be done for NFA items.  This change was made that morning.  At the time were would fingerprint customers when sending off paperwork.  This not longer is allowed by the ATF.  Fingerprints must now be done by the local law enforcement authority.  This information was conveyed to us by the gun store across the parking lot, [other business name].  It was brought to their attention by a customer who was looking to submit a Form 1.  Neither of us have been contacted by the ATF so far to inform us to this change.  It was out of pure chance that we were made aware and had this not happened we would have most definitely sent out fingerprint cards done by us internally which we had been doing.

Then where are the new Forms 1, 4, and 5? This sort of stuff is detailed in the instructions that come on the forms. Adopting new forms is not something that the ATF just does overnight. It took them like 3 months to get the post 41F forms ready for distribution.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, the S.I.D.

http://www.silencershop.com/what-is-sid
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Then where are the new Forms 1, 4, and 5? This sort of stuff is detailed in the instructions that come on the forms. Adopting new forms is not something that the ATF just does overnight. It took them like 3 months to get the post 41F forms ready for distribution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your probably right, like I said in the op I unsure the ATF could unilaterally if they wanted to.

If I end up just crying wolf, great! I rather be stupid than right when it comes to this.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not getting on you, I'm actually a bit surprised to see TFB post this without any sort of verification.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Local PD does it for $5.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Local PD does it for $5.
View Quote

Not all will do it is the issue. Local PD here tells you to piss off and go to a 3rd party that isn't LEO affiliated
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#32]
So this has nothing to do with the general NFA stuff, just the Explosive stuff.

Man, people sure are desperate to drum up panics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not all will do it is the issue. Local PD here tells you to piss off and go to a 3rd party that isn't LEO affiliated
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Local PD does it for $5.

The PD in the next town over doesn't do them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When I worked for my local PD (not as a cop, just a lowly nonsworn dreg), I would fingerprint the public.  I would have to sign, and also stamp the PD's info onto the cards, and provide a written receipt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not every local PD has such a stamp, and the ORI's are public info.  

I guarantee they didn't know who you were or what your signature looked like.  

The PD is also able to authorize anyone they want to conduct fingerprinting under their aegis.  Like a private service.  

I was extremely good at rolling tenprints.    This was before they had machines and it was done with ink and a rubber roller on either glass or metal.  I bet I could still do it and I've been out of uniform for ten years.  

Today, the machines do it.  When you go, it's just as easy to have them print multiple copies of your prints so you don't have to come back every time.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Just remembee this when you go to the polls.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

there's blocks on the cards that require the person doing the prints to fill out including who they represent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When having a local PD do my prints one time we were BS'ing and he forgot to fill that little bit out and I didn't pay attention.  Sent the paperwork in along with the fingerprint card and rejected...had to go back with the card and get that same officer to sign off on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So this has nothing to do with the general NFA stuff, just the Explosive stuff.

Man, people sure are desperate to drum up panics.
View Quote

Just wait though, now that it's been published by the dummies who couldn't read and comprehend the difference between the explosives regs and the firearms regs, ATF will change the policy on Title II prints.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Story has been retracted:

Note to all readers. This information was in error. I had an attorney who represents many FFL’s across the country with license matters as well as NFA cases. I’ve consulted with him several times on these types of matters. He informed me there has been no change in the law or BATF policy. Local law enforcement does not have to do the fingerprints.

So nothing has changed this was an error caused by some rather unclear information on the ATF website.

My apologies for creating a stir.

Phil
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Just published a blog article on the topic. I see they retracted the story. All they had to do was look at the link they cited to...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Meh... Living in NJ I have to give fingerprints to the NJSP when I get my FPID then to the town PD when I go to pickup my initial permit from them.

So, not only does the NJSP have my fingerprints but so does the town.

FATF though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Uhhh... That's not how this works. The ATF would have to create new Forms 1 and 4 to make this change. To my knowledge, they haven't done that. That explosives FAQ is the same one that SilencerCo was pushing as "evidence" that Silencer Shop's kiosks were illegal.
View Quote

Wait, what? Silencer Co was pushing evidence that Silencer Shop's fingerprint kiosks were illegal? So they are what, trying to get the ATF to disallow the use of these kiosks?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wait, what? Silencer Co was pushing evidence that Silencer Shop's fingerprint kiosks were illegal? So they are what, trying to get the ATF to disallow the use of these kiosks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://modernrifleman.net/2016/06/09/how-silencerco-is-undermining-silencer-shops-kiosk-program/

They're no longer saying this, but they were a few months ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilencerCo sent out an email to AcuSport earlier this year to warn retailers that the Kiosk was not an acceptable way to take fingerprints. They cited to the same link that TFB did for support of that proposition.

I think I may still have the email in my inbox somewhere.

Either way, they were wrong. Just like TFB.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

There is a block on the front of the card for the official taking the prints to list their name and agency address.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
http://modernrifleman.net/2016/06/09/how-silencerco-is-undermining-silencer-shops-kiosk-program/

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good! But that's a dick move by Silencer Co. Those kiosks and the passport photo app make it easier for people to buy silencers. Don't fuck over gun owners Silencer Co! Come out with your own ideas and compete better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

SilencerCo sent out an email to AcuSport earlier this year to warn retailers that the Kiosk was not an acceptable way to take fingerprints. They cited to the same link that TFB did for support of that proposition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilencerCo didn't realize they were kicking their own dicks in the dirt by bringing it up?

Doesn't silencer shop move a boat load of their cans?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
SilencerCo didn't realize they were kicking their own dicks in the dirt by bringing it up?

View Quote

Used to.  Pretty sure they severed ties a while back.  I don't see any SiCo cans on SS's site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Used to.  Pretty sure they severed ties a while back.  I don't see any SiCo cans on SS's site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense then.

I buy locally so I don't venture over to silencershop much
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SilencerCo isn't the king of the popularity hill anymore
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local PD does it for $5.

Then go to a different PD until you find one that will do them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top