BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The last sentence is what would give me hesitation....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't the computers do the vast majority of... everything... anyways?

Yep...right up until something goes wrong.

That's when you call upon your experience.

The last sentence is what would give me hesitation....

I was chatting with a Capt. who had flown widebodies and was probably in his early 50's.  Now flying commuter shit (CJR200 is what I was on with him), ((ETA: Not that commuter planes are shit overall, but damn, the planes in and out of Paducah were worn the fuck out)) because he had gotten out for a while.  He remarked that he had gotten into a 172 with an instructor and had a difficult time landing, because his habits were so ingrained.  

My friend who is a Capt. with AA, still loves flying for flying.  He has been doing this work for 20 years now.  He mentions the pilots he fly with, once they get on the AP, they are on their iPad, magazine or otherwise oblivious to the aircraft and outside world.  He still looks out the window.  

There are also the airline pilots that fly aerobatics, homebuilts, GA or warbirds on their time off.  

There are different types of experience, so one would hope the employer and chief pilot are doing a good job.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I thought Easy Jet went out of business?
View Quote
In flames.  Or soon will be.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Men and more than a few women that age fought the greatest air battles in history as PIC and CPIC in the largest bombers and transports and as PIC in single seat fighters flying hundreds of miles over water or in contested airspace.

If they've made the big leagues like these two, yes I'll fly with them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like others here I was a Captain way younger than her, and at her age I had been a 727 Captain for over a year.. Before that I had been Captain and instructor on several large turboprops, even flying some of those overseas, and I lived to tell my stories.

Age itself has little to do with the abilities of a pilot, as I know some pilots way older and more experienced than me that I wouldn't fly with under any circumstance! On the other hand I know some pilots way younger than me that are now flying for the majors that I would fly anywhere with, anytime. As long as any pilot is motivated, and completes an airline training course, they should be more than able to safely operate the airplane. Now is that same new captain going to make the same decisions as me? No, not at all, but I was there at one time and that got me the experience that I rely on today.

View Quote

are you a freight dog now?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I was flying an OH58D when I was 19.

I'm sure the this guy will do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure. There are 26 and 27 year old Aircraft Commanders in the AF and I've been in the back of the jet when they've been the ones running the show.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Video of a non-pilot landing an Airbus simulator with no training.
View Quote

No stick?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
No big deal at all. I got my license at 19, and was considered to be, like, a responsible adult. 26 is well into knowing what the fuck you're doing territory.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
If they pass all of the requirements and are competent, why not?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No stick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video of a non-pilot landing an Airbus simulator with no training.

No stick?

Airbus has side sticks; left-handed for the left seat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I saved my ass and a lot of others before I turned 26.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol, I'm ready to face the hate, but, with as much experience/hours he has, combined with being a lead/senior instructor in the Airbus, I expect him to be able to make that landing.  I don't think he's a hero at all, he's been flying for approaching half a century, he better be good after that much time.

But what do I know, I'm just a GA pilot with a few hundred hours...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, until you fly through a flock of geese 90 seconds after takeoff over NYC.

Lol, I'm ready to face the hate, but, with as much experience/hours he has, combined with being a lead/senior instructor in the Airbus, I expect him to be able to make that landing.  I don't think he's a hero at all, he's been flying for approaching half a century, he better be good after that much time.

Yeah, that's the point. His experience and calm under pressure, while not necessarily heroic, certainly saved the day. I'm convinced a less experienced pilot could have panicked, attempted to make it back to a runway, and in addition to killing everyone on board, would have potentially killed hundreds on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would prefer a pilot with way more hours than he has.  Co-pilot at 19 I'm ok with.
View Quote

Pilots used to start flying for the airlines with more hours than those two have lived.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure.  She would have been a LTC in WWII. He would have been a CPT.
View All Quotes

My first thought floated here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
China has absolute shit standards and they barely manage to bend sheet metal a couple times a year

native English speaker? trained in the west? no problem
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I flew many missions during my 24 year Army career with 21 year old Slick pilots and was only shot down once.  Hell yes I would.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, these GD geezers are terrified of millennials doing normal adult things at normal adult ages.  As if they weren't doing the same or more at the same age.  And then they're gonna complain when some study shows millennials take longer to do adult stuff

You can get a pilot's license at 16.  You're an adult in every sense of the word at 21.  Why would you be unhappy with a 26 year old who's successful early in life?

Buncha sour grapes if you ask me.  Fly the dang plane good, or don't.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh, if something goes wrong I'll take the stick......................

After carrier landings, what's the big deal?

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
military yes.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pilots used to start flying for the airlines with more hours than those two have lived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would prefer a pilot with way more hours than he has.  Co-pilot at 19 I'm ok with.

No..  Not really.  High time .mil pilots that get out and start a career in airlines are generally in the few thousand hours, and that is with a good many years in.  That well is drying / dried up and now many more pilots come from the commuters/regionals.  Start flying for a 25K per year airline right seat out of college or your flight training school....or a long stint as an instructor. From what I have read lately, you get out of a aeronautical college with ~1000 hours.  I am not current on the latest regulations for flying for a US carrier, I am sure others can fill that in.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the point. His experience and calm under pressure, while not necessarily heroic, certainly saved the day. I'm convinced a less experienced pilot could have panicked, attempted to make it back to a runway, and in addition to killing everyone on board, would have potentially killed hundreds on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, until you fly through a flock of geese 90 seconds after takeoff over NYC.

I get what you're saying, but all the folks who say Sully is a hero come off like the "are you a wizard" guy.  I also agree a lesser driver woulda lawn darted into the city trying to make the runway because that's what we're taught.   That situation is about the worst one you can find yourself in, simultaneous powerplant failure at full power on climb out over a densely populated area, but the people aboard Cactus 1549 were lucky that day, they just happened to have the Senior Type Instructor with a Billion hours at the helm.  

Do I think this crew would have done what he did?  Not only no, but hell no, also, notice they're sitting in a CRJ, not a 321 or 737.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#23]
i am good at flying the F35 on BF4, so i am qualified to fly combat sorties.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If she would have been on the plane that Tom Hanks landed on the Hudson. They all would have died.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get what you're saying, but all the folks who say Sully is a hero come off like the "are you a wizard" guy.  I also agree a lesser driver woulda lawn darted into the city trying to make the runway because that's what we're taught.   That situation is about the worst one you can find yourself in, simultaneous powerplant failure at full power on climb out over a densely populated area, but the people aboard Cactus 1549 were lucky that day, they just happened to have the Senior Type Instructor with a Billion hours at the helm.  

Do I think this crew would have done what he did?  Not only no, but hell no, also, notice they're sitting in a CRJ, not a 321 or 737.
View Quote

they did those simulations and, even knowing what was coming, knowing exactly how Sully et al pulled it off, most pilots didn't fare well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm pretty sure I've flown with some that young before
Flight from Laramie to Denver, those guys were some Cowboy Pilots for sure! Snow storm coming in, flying over the Rockies get owned by the wind and when we touched down in Denver I was looking out my window down the runway

But they set it down like a champ
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Is she on her period?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

they did those simulations and, even knowing what was coming, knowing exactly how Sully et al pulled it off, most pilots didn't fare well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is based in the airplane they're sitting in, I think the two of them are probably competent enough to handle most in flight emergencies they will face while in a CRJ.  Most pilots like them are just building hours in a type like that anyways.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I get my mom to tie them loose and just slip them on and off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, millennials can't even tie their shoes!

It's true, I wear wellingtons.

I get my mom to tie them loose and just slip them on and off.

Dang, good idea.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is based in the airplane they're sitting in, I think the two of them are probably competent enough to handle most in flight emergencies they will face while in a CRJ.  Most pilots like them are just building hours in a type like that anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Aren't most of our military pilots in that age range?
My cousin was flying a F-4 when he was in his mid 20's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ahhh I (and a lot of other people) was an airline captain at an earlier age than that.
View Quote

My brother in law is an Embry grad and not much older then the captain in the article.
A lot of his former classmates are captains with regional airlines, trying to work their way into the bigger name airlines.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
The Continental flight which crashed in Buffalo a few years back, had a 24 year old co-pilot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not saying they shouldn't be pilots, but if I was on a plane that experienced an emergency, I'd rather have this old guy at the controls:

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd turn around and demand a refund.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
are they good at their job?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#40]
We won WWII with pilots that age. I have no problem with a 26 year old pilot!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
she has British teeth too  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shes hot but PASS!!
she has British teeth too  

I've been told by the British on Arf that's just a stereotype.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Date a female pilot sometime.
Report back to us with your results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She is Hittable.

Crash and burn?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Not on purpose, no. Given the choice I'd opt for someone with more hours. Their ages don't bother me per se, it's that it limits their experience.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do  until they don't. ..
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Without hesitation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Sure, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Crash and burn?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She is Hittable.

Crash and burn?

You know how women are incredibly opinionated?

Now imagine she has a fourth stripe. Proceed from there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Not too bad looking. I'd get in her cockpit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She is Hittable.

Fuck, no.

Last time I did that, I wound up having to parachute out  at 600 feet. Fuck that noise.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top