Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2016 1:30:34 PM EDT
So, it's been a week since I had to put my big baby boy Bruno down and I noticed something about my household, it's quiet, too damn quiet. I never realized he was the instigator of "hey something is going on outside, bark!!!". My other two (Dane, plott hound), will bark if someone rings the door bell or if they hear other dogs in the neighborhood barking, but other than that, nothing. Hell, I come home and they don't even get off the couch to investigate.

When my daughter accidentally locked us out of our house once, I called a locksmith, the first dog he saw was Bruno snarling and barking like he had full blown blood lust and dude trying to get in was top on the menu. Locksmith looked at me and said "I'm not opening that door" and left. Now, my plott has done that, but she doesn't have the same presence as her brother from another mother. Bruno was a shelter dog and it took a lot of time and $$$ to get him to understand when to go full retard, the others don't seem to have that inner "Fuck you, I'm gonna eat'cha" attitude.  

So, not only am I missing my best bud, I'm also missing my main "bad guy deterrent" when I'm not around. The search begins
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to read about your dog, post pics when you get a new one.
That loss really leaves a void in your life.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
locksmith didnt have to open it, just unlock it. what an idiot.

Our Akita pup is 10 months old, 70 lbs, and sounds twice that size.  He sheds a lot though
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to read about your dog, post pics when you get a new one.
That loss really leaves a void in your life.
View Quote

Thanks, I will, and it does
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
locksmith didnt have to open it, just unlock it. what an idiot.

Our Akita pup is 10 months old, 70 lbs, and sounds twice that size.  He sheds a lot though
View Quote

He didn't even want to get near the door
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Check your local shelter.  He'll find you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the Akita rescues. Awesome breed, but not for decoration. You sound like an actual "dog guy", so you'll understand when I tell you Akitas are the kind of breed you make agreements with rather than train conventionally. Oh, and when they give their loyalty, it is ABSOLUTE. They are true Samurai dogs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
You need a war cat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]

YES!!!!!

Quoted:

I just wish they would give you an option when it came to neutering, instead of just looping them off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check the Akita rescues. Awesome breed, but not for decoration. You sound like an actual "dog guy", so you'll understand when I tell you Akitas are the kind of breed you make agreements with rather than train conventionally. Oh, and when they give their loyalty, it is ABSOLUTE. They are true Samurai dogs.
View Quote

Will do, thanks!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#11]
You need an Australian Cattle Dog.

No better battle dog than the dog of Mad Max.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just wish they would give you an option when it came to neutering, instead of just looping them off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you going to breed him?

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but the shelters tend to cut off the nuts regardless of their maturity and it would seem that could end up being a major issue in the development of the animal. I'm not against neutering, I'm against the method. You can neuter a male without removal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really yeah mine knows people are coming when they arnt even on the street yet it's bizarre and yeah goes batshit crazy before they even hit the drive but the minute you open the door he just wants a fuss.

He has scared off one set or burglars though.  For a best friend without fear of anything yeah a cattle dog. For battle dog I'm thinking kangal
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.canyoncrestk9.com/

Might get on their list for a pup. Bruno was trained by them, and they train the local PD dogs and do tracker training. Really good people and have been in the biz for a really long time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Damn.  Who runs Bartertown?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not really yeah mine knows people are coming when they arnt even on the street yet it's bizarre and yeah goes batshit crazy before they even hit the drive but the minute you open the door he just wants a fuss.

He has scared off one set or burglars though.  For a best friend without fear of anything yeah a cattle dog. For battle dog I'm thinking kangal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Dude that pic is priceless.

I suggest a good GSD pup. Be careful where you buy from and train him well. A protective dog is both an asset and reliability most of all around the house. My guy does not like people around either his house or his momma and he will protect them both to the death. On the other hand he is very well trained and will heel or go flat on his belly with a single hand or voice command from me. He's my first GSD but now I see why Police and Military units like them so much. They are designed by nature to really want to work with you and anticipate what you want and they are always aware of their surroundings and who is by their pack.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a battle Pom

She is not to be fucked with.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

ACDs are great. Mine only barks to alert me to something.
Very smart, easy to train and will never leave your side. They have a very high pain tolerance and live a long time.
" />
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]
They wouldn't sell him the bazooka

So he patrols unarmed

Though he did mug Chewie

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/vfIgyDw.jpg

So he patrols unarmed

http://i.imgur.com/SsJrmMN.jpg

Though he did mug Chewie

http://i.imgur.com/n8U9H3p.jpg
View Quote

Might just be mine, but never seen a more hateful reactor to strangers coming up the house and car as my black and tan coonhound. Though my neighbors doberman looks like he actually has a plan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Might just be mine, but never seen a more hateful reactor to strangers coming up the house and car as my black and tan coonhound. Though my neighbors doberman looks like he actually has a plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he patrols unarmed

Though he did mug Chewie

He's pretty friendly, but when he doesn't know  you, and you walk up to the deck and he stands up, at ~ 6' tall that way he is a bit imposing.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want thee most bad ass dog , one that is a true killer attack  dog look up Caucasian orvchaka  .

I have had one , gave him away when my son was born . I never feared for my wife when I was away for work , that dog was 160 pounds of pure terror .
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#29]
First off, let me tell you how sorry I am for your loss, and I understand all too personally the immense hole loosing your dog can leave in your life, and your heart.

Figure out if you want a dog to fill the role of companion, early warning, general protection, pointing, retrieving, flushing game, playing fetch, tracking, attack, herding, being a buddy for everyone in the family, or combination of those roles.  

The reason to consider those roles is because over the centuries, someone has probably bred what the thought is the perfect breed for the roles go need the dog to fill.  Once that is all done, the breed of dog for you will become readily apparent.  

And please try to be fair to the dog with your expectations.  It would only frustrate the dog if you expected a St. Bernard to be a lap dog, a Doberman to herd sheep, or a chihuahua to be an attack dog.

Dogs are among the most wonderful creatures to help man through life.  I hope I am never without at least one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Very smart, easy to train and will never leave your side. They have a very high pain tolerance and live a long time.
http://<a href=http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r766/loco881/IMG_20160529_152932050_zpsspegdgka.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r766/loco881/IMG_20160529_152932050_zpsspegdgka.jpg</a>" />

Nice ACD you have. That's the one dog I've always wanted. It will definitely be the next pooch I get.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, it's been a week since I had to put my big baby boy Bruno down and I noticed something about my household, it's quiet, too damn quiet. I never realized he was the instigator of "hey something is going on outside, bark!!!". My other two (Dane, plott hound), will bark if someone rings the door bell or if they hear other dogs in the neighborhood barking, but other than that, nothing. Hell, I come home and they don't even get off the couch to investigate.

When my daughter accidentally locked us out of our house once, I called a locksmith, the first dog he saw was Bruno snarling and barking like he had full blown blood lust and dude trying to get in was top on the menu. Locksmith looked at me and said "I'm not opening that door" and left. Now, my plott has done that, but she doesn't have the same presence as her brother from another mother. Bruno was a shelter dog and it took a lot of time and $$$ to get him to understand when to go full retard, the others don't seem to have that inner "Fuck you, I'm gonna eat'cha" attitude.  

So, not only am I missing my best bud, I'm also missing my main "bad guy deterrent" when I'm not around. The search begins
View Quote

Well, at least Bruno taught you where the best dogs come from.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So he patrols unarmed

Though he did mug Chewie

View Quote

Yeah that's a battle dog all right.

My new pup will have your leg off though

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The shedding is ridiculous - but the breed is awesome.

I have a lint roller for a reason - and it 'aint for lint.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shedding is ridiculous - but the breed is awesome.

I have a lint roller for a reason - and it 'aint for lint.......

They don't shed. They leave fibers of love throughout the house. Minor bad for all the good. Plus, I like dogs who only bark for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you want thee most bad ass dog , one that is a true killer attack  dog look up Caucasian orvchaka  .

I have had one , gave him away when my son was born . I never feared for my wife when I was away for work , that dog was 160 pounds of pure terror .
View Quote

Too expensive, and waaay too high maintenance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Another vote for Cattledog. Loyal as hell and nobody messes with his people or turf.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/61/5d/a3/615da3b8ec1d05b7e439d2fbd63c9da6.jpg
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
as  fellow Dane owner, yeah, Danes are useless.   they just eat up space they have no actual skills except you can pet them without having to bend over.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
as  fellow Dane owner, yeah, Danes are useless.   they just eat up space they have no actual skills except you can pet them without having to bend over.

View Quote

They lean better than DOT supervisors.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Old Yeller The Original American Badass.  Blackmouth Cur, Get You Some.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Spuds & Ollie are great to have around, no one in there right mind would step on my 10 acres.

Don't tell anyone but there big babies.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So he patrols unarmed

Though he did mug Chewie

View Quote

Handsome big boy there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Throw my vote in for Cattledag.

Doesn't get much more high speed, low drag tier 1 than that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Half lab, half ACD, full retard.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Please ADOPT a rescue dog!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/61/5d/a3/615da3b8ec1d05b7e439d2fbd63c9da6.jpg

Is that a werewolf?

Thing looks like it has hands.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Please ADOPT a rescue dog!!

View Quote

Petango
These are all shelter dogs. Enter your zip code,search radius, you can search by breed.
I found my ACD and Siberian Husky on here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Rhodesian Ridgeback. Get it a FAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top