Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2016 9:47:48 PM EDT
Started riding again about a yr ago after a 15 yr break. And jesus christ it seems drivers today are more dangerous than back in the 90's. Cell phones and the like I assume.
 I know we will have the fucktards that will pull out in front of us, or cut us off....how do YOU deal with it?

MOST the time, I hit the horn, give the WTF hand wave. a few times got beside them and let them know how I feel.....
Today, I had to lock it down hard, just got under my skin...pulled up beside the driver...older fella, guessing around 60ish
asking WTF...he said he didn't see me.     I said a few choice words and rode on.

I know it happens..and at times drivers don't see us....but damn!  

So...do you let it go? Say something?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
everything they can do to hurt you, they will do.

ride accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Cars have the right of way by way of size.  Be wise and give it to them, you'll live longer and be a less stressed rider.  Or be an extremely aggressive rider. Your  choice.  No middle of the road.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I let it go.

I had a tard a few hundred yards ahead of me pull over and park at the curb in front of a house.  I got almost right up to him and saw the front wheels crank hard left.  Nailed the brakes hard, hit the horn as he started to pull a u-turn right in front of me.  I got stopped as he stopped right across the lane.  So to this point nothing too out of the ordinary until he gave me the finger.  I let it go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll never change. Either stop riding or accept it. Same shit happens to truck drivers all day every day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I "slalom" im my lane a little anf flash my low beams (highs are already on).

Oh, and you are not riding aggressively enough.   You are not riding as if everyone IS trying to kill you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Never seek revenge while riding.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cars have the right of way by way of size.  Be wise and give it to them, you'll live longer and be a less stressed rider.  Or be an extremely aggressive rider. Your  choice.  No middle of the road.
View Quote

Im not an aggressive rider, but do feel like at times you need to let them know to pay fucking attention. Especially if they are on the phone....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I let it go. It's just part of the risk. If you can't handle it, don't ride.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Watch the wheels. Also, watch where the driver is looking. Try and make eye contact with them when needed. Also, remember to do the SIDSYM(Sorry I Didn't See You Mate!) maneuver when they may be pulling out. It is just weaving back and forth a little in your lane to make yourself more visible.

Don't forget, when you always expect retardation, you never feel let down. Relax and enjoy the ride. With your butt puckered.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Little old ladies, I flip them off while screaming obscenities. Big black guys or rednecks, mutter under my breath.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]

head light modulator helps.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll yell, "get off your phone" or "what the f#ck"...whatever phrase fits the moment.  But as badly as I'd like to pull out my Sig and fire a few off into the air while looking all crazy, I breathe deep and enjoy the next ride.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Kick off their sideview while riding a sick wheelie, bro.

It's the nature of the beast and why I don't commute on a bike anymore. Country rides and twisties only... Sad panda.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Started riding again about a yr ago after a 15 yr break. And jesus christ it seems drivers today are more dangerous than back in the 90's. Cell phones and the like I assume.
 I know we will have the fucktards that will pull out in front of us, or cut us off....how do YOU deal with it?

MOST the time, I hit the horn, give the WTF hand wave. a few times got beside them and let them know how I feel.....
Today, I had to lock it down hard, just got under my skin...pulled up beside the driver...older fella, guessing around 60ish
asking WTF...he said he didn't see me.     I said a few choice words and rode on.

I know it happens..and at times drivers don't see us....but damn!  

So...do you let it go? Say something?
View Quote

pull out your hammer. tap the window a few times. flip them the fuck off, thread your way through traffic, and ride on....
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I always move to the extreme left or right (depending on the situation) of the road whenever there's someone in a position to move pull out in front of me.
A lot of times I catch them as they start to move, my movement startles them.

I don't flip anyone off.

One time I had a guy almost take me out when he pulled out in front of me, I stopped before he could have hit me.
He honked his horn, flipped me off and yelled at me.
I didn't think anything of it until he stopped his car and got out to yell at me.
I nailed the throttle and took off.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]
"dealing with cars pulling out"
I don't "deal" with them; I just treat them as obstacles.  I very seldom use the horn or interact with motorists when they get in my way. I always try to anticipate the next move of the vehicles in front of me. Riding in urban and suburban traffic is kind of like "Run Through The Jungle". Just keep on movin' and go around the stuff that gets in your way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I wear a hi-vis yellow helmet and keep ALL my lights on in the day time.
I ride 40 miles a day in traffic and can't remember the last time I had to brake hard for someone pilling out on me. Ray Charles can see me coming down the road.
The larger lights in the picture have a 8° pattern and are 15,000 lumen on high. I run them at 30% in the day time. They automatically turn down to 10% as the sun sets with low beam and 60% high beam. If I hit the horn, they flash at 100%. They're tied into the can bus.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I just started riding a few weeks ago and everything I've read and what the rider safety course said was always have your high beams on and pay attention to stopped cars ahead,  if they are in the position to pull out then assume they will.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Gave up after 3 close calls just this year, traded it for a quad.

Now my injuries will be from my own stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I commute an hour each way for work and will have at least 1 person nearly hit me during the round trip every day usually when they decide to suddenly change lanes without looking or signalling. I try to predict who is going to be a hazzard to me and take measures to avoid them while watching for everyone else too. I've gotten  used to people not paying attention and just accept that they are idiots, but what still gets me pissed  everytime is the ones actively trying to kill me. Every few weeks I'll come across a psycho that is obviously trying to injure me, it's ranged from knocking mirrors to being forced off the road with their door pushing the side of my leg.

After typing that it sounds like riding is too dangerous to be worth it, but I cant give it up, I've tried but ended up right back on a bike after a short absence.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Speeding rider deliberately smashes mirror, then wonders why everyone else thinks riders are assholes.
Douche bags like this make all riders look bad...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

That guy acted completely inappropriately for that circumstance.  IMHO.

He was way over the speed limit in slow traffic conditions.  He should not have have been surprised when someone pulled out into his lane.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I worked in a MAX prison, I worked in the mental ward of a prison, I worked dignitary protection, I worked in flammable dangerous situations........I gave up riding a motorcycle because it was more dangerous than all of my previous jobs put together.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Expect them to pull out.  Everywhere they can hide.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He was way over the speed limit in slow traffic conditions.  He should not have have been surprised when someone pulled out into his lane.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Check his channel - it's nothing but him picking fights with drivers.
Hopefully one day he tries to smash a mirror & someone puts him into the concrete wall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Expect them to pull out.  Everywhere they can hide.
View Quote

Exactly.

And ride like you are invisible. Because you basically are.

Oh, and this isn't a phenomenon exclusive to motorcycles, either. People pull out in front of anything, because they simply aren't paying attention, or feel that they are more important than you.

ETA - I don't get upset or act out against anything when I am on the bike. Not having a clear head is a VERY BAD state to be in on a bike. I don't let things get under my skin when I'm in a car either. Heck, the people I get most aggravated by are those who insist on going 10-15 mph below the posted speed limit on a clear day, in an area where it is neither safe nor legal to pass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hopefully one day he tries to smash a mirror & someone puts him into the concrete wall.
View Quote

Yeah he's piece of work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they'll be picking his shredded remains out from underneath someone's pickup.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I would like to add something. When I had a black bike, jacket and helmet, one round trip ride across town, at least ONCE I would have to swerve or panic brake to avoid being hit.

That daily shit stopped the DAY I switched to yellow riding gear. Like a Monkey, I'm a believer. Flame away all you want.

It still happens once in a while, but those are people that simply did not look.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would like to add something. When I had a black bike, jacket and helmet, one round trip ride across town, at least ONCE I would have to swerve or panic brake to avoid being hit.

That daily shit stopped the DAY I switched to yellow riding gear. Like a Monkey, I'm a believer. Flame away all you want.

It still happens once in a while, but those are people that simply did not look.
View Quote

I see guys wearing hi-viz vests.   Looks goofy,  but hey,  it works.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#32]
,hi Vis is incredible.  It's like blaze orange to hunters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I worked in a MAX prison, I worked in the mental ward of a prison, I worked dignitary protection, I worked in flammable dangerous situations........I gave up riding a motorcycle because it was more dangerous than all of my previous jobs put together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done none of those jobs, but I'll never give up riding.

Maybe I should be a ninja or a bounty hunter or something.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The ONLY thing I will say in his defense is that he was in the HOV lane and the SUV crossed the double yellow into his lane.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I ride 40 miles a day in traffic and can't remember the last time I had to brake hard for someone pilling out on me. Ray Charles can see me coming down the road.

The larger lights in the picture have a 8° pattern and are 15,000 lumen on high. I run them at 30% in the day time. They automatically turn down to 10% as the sun sets with low beam and 60% high beam. If I hit the horn, they flash at 100%. They're tied into the can bus.  

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/scooterinvegas/Mobile%20Uploads/20160824_193625_zpswj7uvqdl.jpg  
View Quote

ADV monster ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Law of tonnage and all that. Sucks for you OP. Drive safely.

On a personal level I have a certain disdain for motorcycles bc of the few asshats that mess it up for everyone. They were almost all young and fearless. Scared me bc of all the close calls I had with them. My truck wouldn't even know they were under it. On another level, now that I am a bit older, I have wanted to get a bike-in-a-box and build one myself and ride back and forth to work and school to save on fuel. But I'm afraid of how other 4 wheel drivers view bikes and feel I would be another road rage target. Damn catch 22
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#37]

I wear this helmet. Thing stands out like a sore thumb.
Otherwise I just keep my fingers on the brake, slow down and keep my eyes locked on their wheels to see if they start moving. I've only been riding for a few months though so I'm not a very good example.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I sold my motorcycles.  Better things to do in life than end up a cripple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#39]
<CoC>
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Head on a swivel always, never assume a car won't pull out in front of you, assume it will.

I ride 5-10mph faster then traffic so I am slowly passing them and I keep everything in front of me. If I need to change lanes and pass on the right so be it, it is safer to keep moving through traffic and keep everything in front of you then it is to get pinned in and have no where to go if shit goes south.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a bright green bike and yellow or matching bright green coat (depending on the day).  And the fucktards still cant seem to see me.  

I chalk it up to the fact that 90 percent of drivers nowadays are retards with steering wheels instead of drum sets.  

I very rarely react to rude gestures or near misses.  But on occasion I will,  but it is a quick word or two and move on.  Usually it is "Get off your phone!".

ETA:  Oh!  And always leave a car length or so between you and the car in front of you when stopped,  and watch your mirrors.  I have done this since I was rear ended at a stop sign on my first ride on my rocket.  It has saved my ass multiple times since.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been told my bike looks like a freight train to oncoming traffic. Thats on low beam.

No one has ever pulled out in front of me. A couple started to but a blip of my brights fixed that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#44]
You cannot teach an inattentive or stupid person a lesson.  They will not learn.   If you distract yourself to yell, give a hand/finger, etc, then you are the person not paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Holy fuck, if some asshole on a bike pulled up next to me and started screaming at me he'd be a strawberry smear on the retaining wall.

Having said that, drivers nowadays are fucking retarded and are a danger not just to bikers.  You couldn't pay me to ride a bike around here nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You cannot teach an inattentive or stupid person a lesson.  They will not learn.   If you distract yourself to yell, give a hand/finger, etc, then you are the person not paying attention.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#47]
i stopped riding on the street 10 years, stopped being fun due to idiots on the road...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/scooterinvegas/Mobile%20Uploads/20160824_193625_zpswj7uvqdl.jpg  
View Quote

Hate to break the news to you, but people pull out in front of semi's and trains all the time. They are very visible.

I do like the  guy some posts above said and if I see someone I am iffy about I do a little slalom as I approach.

It puts a new and unusual movement in their eyes and hopefully draws their attention to it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Assume nobody can see you.  I was taught and always ride like nobody can see me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#50]

I do wear a white helmet and a lime green jacket. Hopefully that helps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top