Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 9:34:40 PM EDT
Got a good recipe for it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to go to a Rez when the Salmon are running.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a thread on this awhile ago...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

oh I see. I will looking it up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's interesting you ask... I don't have a recipe for it, but I just watched a youtube segment on it a day or two ago.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's interesting you ask... I don't have a recipe for it, but I just watched a youtube segment on it a day or two ago.  

https://youtu.be/x_vLuMobHCI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just found that channel this week. I've been binge watching them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love that channel. Very entertaining, interesting history on the foods and recipes.

Consider this a tag. I have lots of game meat I'd love to try and make some.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]

biltong

Excellent writeup

Biltong

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this channel.  I made my own sauerkraut and mushroom ketchup based off of these videos.  The mushroom ketchup is absolutely delicious.  The sauerkraut was admittedly the best ive ever had too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Reminds me of Nutra Loaf.  I prefer real food.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
How hard is it to find the "suet"? That appears to be vital component.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You use to be able to get it from the butcher. Not sure if you still can or not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool videos. I want to make mushroom ketchup now
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
We had a backpacking food thread a while back where I posted my recipe. I eat a ton of it from September through February while hunting. Had some this morning dropped into ramen with ferns, wild onions and acorns . No bear yet though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, oddly enough, there was a Yahoo story on pemmican last week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was on my recommended list the other day.

It seems like a no-brainer, on paper, but there has to be a reason it isn't Prepper Chow Numéro Uno. Maybe it tastes like ass or something?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

biltong
Excellent writeup

Biltong
View Quote

I got to try some biltong last week that a friend brought back from South Africa. American jerky is better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You use to be able to get it from the butcher. Not sure if you still can or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get the Atora brand suet on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, it might have been a YouTube vid.  I did a search on pemmican, even in the archives, and there was nothing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the grocery stores by me sell it

When I would hunt all the time in all kinds of weather I would keep some in my bag for emergencies, I don't have the recipe handy but it was pretty good
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#22]
You don't have to use suet from the looks of it. Lots of folks having great success using muscle fat cap.

I am going to try it after I trim my next brisket.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Alton Browns beef jerky recipe is basically dried beef not cooked. You could season it anyway you want. Rather than hanging it to dry you force dry it with box fan and some air filters. Poor mans dehydrator.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#24]
OP lets make some. Then we send samples to a few folks here as judges then we declare the winner the official arfcom Pemmican lol

I am going to make some this weekend and see how it goes. Its gonna be more than dried meat and fat though. I hear its about as exciting as Alpo that way.

Send me your address and I will send you some.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP lets make some. Then we send samples to a few folks here as judges then we declare the winner the official arfcom Pemmican lol

I am going to make some this weekend and see how it goes. Its gonna be more than dried meat and fat though. I hear its about as exciting as Alpo that way.

Send me your address and I will send you some.
View Quote

Just remember for long-term storage, anything you add to it cuts the shelf life way down. A guy in Canada dug up a pouch of it that was made by indians 250-300 years ago and it was still edible. Adding berries will make it last a year or so. And spices produce really odd, unpredictable flavors.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Love that channel. Very entertaining, interesting history on the foods and recipes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude strikes me as a huge dork, but I am too I've been watching him for a while, lots of interesting stuff.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#27]
This probably deserves to be in Survival Discussion.

I've read several interesting recipes on using Coconut Oil instead of Tallow (mostly due to availability). Anyone make it this way? I was thinking of making some bar with coconut flakes, coconut oil, dried cranberry and dried beef.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've read several interesting recipes on using Coconut Oil instead of Tallow (mostly due to availability). Anyone make it this way? I was thinking of making some bar with coconut flakes, coconut oil, dried cranberry and dried beef.
View Quote

The problem with coconut oil is it has a very low melting point, which can make a mess of a backpack if it spills. Tallow sets up like a bar of soap, which is much easier to deal with.
Coconut oil would do fine if you plan to individually vacuum seal the bars/pucks.

Duck fat is easy to find and sets up firm. Tastes amazing too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just remember for long-term storage, anything you add to it cuts the shelf life way down. A guy in Canada dug up a pouch of it that was made by indians 250-300 years ago and it was still edible. Adding berries will make it last a year or so. And spices produce really odd, unpredictable flavors.
View Quote

I was thinking of experimenting with some. I am making a mushroom ketchup and will be drying the old mushrooms and once the old bits are bone dry, I will put them into the mix. As far as seasoning? I am going to cold smoke some meat in applewood then dry as well. No berries or spices or anything will be added into any batch though it is said that ones using honey seem to last a  long time. Honey is a good preservative as well.

In any  case I will be using this fairly fast. I will make some traditional to s tow away for the zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The problem with coconut oil is it has a very low melting point, which can make a mess of a backpack if it spills. Tallow sets up like a bar of soap, which is much easier to deal with.
Coconut oil would do fine if you plan to individually vacuum seal the bars/pucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking coconut oil aswell just for convenience.
Cacao butter has a melting pt of around 100 degrees and might make for a tasty option with a good shelf life.
So meat and fat are covered so I need a fiber? I have some dried broccoli and may try adding it.
Looking for a ballenced keto low lectin food that tastes great for trips.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I got to try some biltong last week that a friend brought back from South Africa. American jerky is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

biltong

Excellent writeup

Biltong

I have to agree.  It has a funky kinda taste to it, and that's being generous.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mmmm duck fat!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Took an old 1lb steak from the freezer dried it to brittle tossed it in the food processor.
Made a half cup tasty dry beef powder.
Divided it in half added 2 Tbsp chia seed and 4 Tbsp shredded coconut and some pink salt and erythritol to one bowl doubling the size dry. left the other plane.
Melted 6-7oz cocoa butter and mixed it into both bowls and let cool overnight.

One was boring one was tasty and good with my coffee.
I plan on making more trial batches till I hit the something between my favorite jerky and a snickers bar and everything in between.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I've made it.  Rendered fat mixed with dehydrator dried deer steaks ground into a powder.  Works well, lasts long time. Ensure there is no water in either the meat or the fat and it should be good for a long time.  I cut mine into brownie sized squares and double wrapped with saran wrap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top