Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2016 4:57:26 PM EDT

So I was looking at another pizza thread and wanted to ask for some advice.

I've been on a hell of a homemade pizza binge the last two months.  One thing is for SURE, it is definitely the DOUGH that makes the difference in my opinion.  So I wanna hear what you do and give 'em a try.

Following recipes allow me to make:  (1) 10"x16" baking sheet pizza and (2) 10" pie tin pizzas.

ETA - I do not roll out the dough with a pin.  I simply cut the dough into 1/2 and then 1/4s (for pie tins) and then just hand press it out.

My initial dough was what I would call a "traditional" style (to me) H20 and bread yeast based dough.  Nice and light but lacking something.

1 3/4 cups - All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups - Hot Water

1 1/2 TSP - Olive Oil
1 TSP - Sugar
3/4 tsp - Kosher Sea Salt
1 packet - Yeast

Personal Taste - Oregano Flakes

ETA - Cover with plastic wrap/towel for 1 hour in warm area and let rise/sit.  

I then remembered a recipe I liked for homemade "artisan" style beer and baking soda bread (switched to Peanut oil for this one) and tried that.  Even with cheep ass beer it is awesome and really need to experiment with craft beer.  Wow!  The texture difference was much different than any other pizza I had tried.   This is my go to dough.

12 oz - Beer

1 1/2 TSP -  Peanut Oil
2 1/2 TSP - Sugar
1 1/2 TSP - Baking POWDER (ETA Powder not soda)

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
No yeast in recipe #2?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
number 1 is the one I do, except I use organic flour, salt and a bit of white pepper instead of oregano in the mix. Makes it taste more like a high end pizza.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No yeast in recipe #2?
View Quote

Nope, got beer.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Bobby Flay's recipe for the ingredients, and my own technique for making the dough:

3.5 - 4 cups of King Arthur unbleached bread flour (bread flour for a crispier crust, all purpose flour for a chewier crust)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 envelope Fleischmann's RapidRise Instant Yeast

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

1.5 cups water (110 degrees)

I place all ingredients in my stand mixer and combine with a dough hook until it all just comes together, then I cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it hydrate for 30 minutes.

Then I knead it with the dough hook on the stand mixer for 15 minutes.

After that, the bowl gets covered with a piece of plastic wrap and it goes into the refrigerator for a three day cold rise fermentation.

After three days I remove it from the refrigerator and divide it in two equal parts - one half goes into a ziplock bag and into the freezer for later use, the other half goes on the counter top covered for a few hours before it gets rolled out (13") for pizza night.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No yeast in recipe #2?
View Quote
Nope.  Just baking soda and beer for a "sort of yeast" I guess.  I'm still fuzzy on that though.  The 1st recipe rises like a mo fo.   2nd not much but a way different texture.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag. If any huh altitude recipes for those over 6,000 feet come in Id love to see it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use Bobby Flay's recipe for the ingredients, and my own technique for making the dough:

3.5 - 4 cups of King Arthur unbleached bread flour (bread flour for a crispier crust, all purpose flour for a chewier crust)

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons olive oil

I place all ingredients in my stand mixer and combine with a dough hook until it all just comes together, then I cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it hydrate for 30 minutes.

After that, the bowl gets covered with a piece of plastic wrap and it goes into the refrigerator for a three day cold rise fermentation.

After three days I remove it from the refrigerator and divide it in two equal parts - one half goes into a ziplock bag and into the freezer for later use, the other half goes on the counter top covered for a few hours before it gets rolled out (13") for pizza night.  

View Quote

Sweet thanks for sharing over here in this thread.  It was your post on your pizza in another thread that prompted this thread.  I was just getting ready to try - and fail - to post your recipe here.

You definitely gave me an "Ah Hah" moment when I realized there was more to this than I thought!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tag. If any huh altitude recipes for those over 6,000 feet come in Id love to see it.
View Quote
I make the dough in my post at 5400 feet.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is relevant to my interests as I am planning on grilling this one tomorrow: http://origin3-www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pizza-dough-recipe2.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use flour tortillas and cook them in a cast iron under a broiler. Saw the trick on serious eats YouTube. Works great for crisp crust pizza.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This thread is relevant to my interests as I am planning on grilling this one tomorrow: http://origin3-www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pizza-dough-recipe2.html
View Quote
Well, hell this redneck is doing some learning.  As mentioned, earlier there appears to be things I'm missing and need to experiment upon.  For example from your linked recipe - the whole thing about getting the H20, yeast and sugar FOAMY - huh:

In a large bowl stir together 1/3 cup water, yeast, and sugar and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been on a hell of a homemade pizza binge the last two months.  One thing is for SURE, it is definitely the DOUGH that makes the difference in my opinion.  So I wanna hear what you do and give 'em a try.

Following recipes allow me to make:  (1) 10"x16" baking sheet pizza and (2) 10" pie tin pizzas.

My initial dough was what I would call a "traditional" style (to me) H20 and bread yeast based dough.  Nice and light but lacking something.

1 1/2 cups - Hot Water1 1/2 TSP - Olive Oil
1 TSP - Sugar
1 packet - Yeast

I then remembered a recipe I liked for homemade "artisan" style beer and baking soda bread (switched to Peanut oil for this one) and tried that.  Even with cheep ass beer it is awesome and really need to experiment with craft beer.  Wow!  The texture difference was much different than any other pizza I had tried.   This is my go to dough.

12 oz - Beer
1 1/2 TSP -  Peanut Oil
2 1/2 TSP - Sugar
1 1/2 TSP - Baking Soda

View Quote

I use a french bread recipe in a bread machine.   Pull it out before it bakes and roll it out on the counter.  It makes good crisp pizza crust.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagscribed... I like corn meal in mine...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I use a french bread recipe in a bread machine.   Pull it out before it bakes and roll it out on the counter.  It makes good crisp pizza crust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1 TSP - Sugar

1 packet - Yeast

12 oz - Beer

1 1/2 TSP -  Peanut Oil

2 1/2 TSP - Sugar

1 1/2 TSP - Baking Soda

You've got my interest.  Any link to the recipe you use?

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Expand upon that please!  An earlier guy mentioned that too.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Going to check in on this one.  

We use this recipe.  

1 package yeast.
about a cup of water, warm.
tsp sugar,
one egg.  Tsp salt.

Flour.

Boom the yeast in the water.   add sugar.   Let sit for about ten minutes.   add a tablespoon of olive oil, one egg.   Add flour and mix.   We just eye ball the flour until it looks right.   Let it sit on the counter covered until it doubles in size.   Portion it out and sometimes we put it in cast iron skillets or other times use a pizza stone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Italian 00 flour
Proofed dry yeast.
Garlic salt
Water (Enough to form a smooth dough)

knead until your hands get tired, or ~10 minutes in a mixer. You want a very elastic, smooth dough. Divide into pieces, roll into smooth balls by tucking the edges in. Bag it up and let it rest at least over night. For sauce, I make garlic olive oil, mix in plain tomato sauce, toss in basil leaves and let it simmer until it thickens a little. Use a high quality (ie not grated shit you bought in a bag at Walmart) fresh mozzarella (Better if you can make your own, but I don't have time to do that often anymore) and a equally quality Parmesan chees (That you actually have to grate yourself from a block) on top of that. Don't load a shit load of toppings on it, put a reasonable amount. Cook as hot as you can.  

You'll wind up with a Neapolitan style pizza that is very good, and easy to make. The crust recipe is pretty flexible, I've done everything from cracker thin crusts to Chicago style with it.

Pizza is better when it's simple with fresh ingredients.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know about corn meal IN the dough, but we used it like flour at dominoes to keep the dough from sticking to the make table while we edge pressed it, and from sticking to our hands when we slapped it out.  That is the granular dust on your dominos pizza crust.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're pressed for time, by an Italian or French bread frozen dough from the grocery store.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
substitute some flour for cornmeal, Then when im making the pie, I use cornmeal and flour mix to roll it out on. MMMM
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ETA - I do not roll out the dough with a pin.  I simply cut the dough into 1/2 and then 1/4s (for pie tins) and then just hand press it out.

1 TSP - Sugar

1 packet - Yeast

View Quote

Get rid of the sugar.Use luke warm water.Stop by your local mom & pop pizzeria see if they will sell you some flour.You want to use a High gluten flour.(it gives you the elasticity you need.).It's better to make it a few days in advance & refrigerate while it rises/proofs.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
500g high gluten bread flour
16g sea salt

1g dry yeast

350g water

Mix thoroughly

Cover with wet towel and let rest on counter for 24hrs

Punch down and re knead

Cut in half and fridge for 48hrs

Bring out and let come to almost room temp and make your pies.

You're welcome
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
View Quote

This is almost exactly how I do it. Difference being, I use a blend of semolina and King Arthur unbleached flour, and I form my dough balls prior to refrigeration.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
View Quote

Pretty much the same as I use for regular pizza.

I also use this recipe for 8"  individual pan pizzas cooked in a #5 cast iron skillet.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html
I get 4 8" pizzas out of that recipe. Top a 8" crust w 1/3cu sauce, 1cu cheese.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
one thing not mentioned is the water that you use

i have heard that the pie from new york city is as good as it is because of the water they use when they make the dough

(saw one shop in the south west actually brings in water from nyc for their pie)

i am guessing that the nyc water is soft.....so that may help your end result

the ny dialect (bronx?) call it  ah-beets, btw

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

i have heard that the pie from new york city is as good as it is because of the water they use when they make the dough

(saw one shop in the south west actually brings in water from nyc for their pie)

View Quote
Interesting.  Perhaps I need to pull out some of my distilled water I use for engine rebuilds to test out?  

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Perhaps I need to pull out some of my distilled water I use for engine rebuilds to test out?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that it's soft, it's the mineral content...lots of natural aquifers, lots of mountain runoff, etc. Think the limestone water at Jack Daniels....it's a unique resource, and the water in the aquifers from the Catskills and such that feed the NYC aqueduct and the surrounding areas are similarly unique in their mineral content.

Distilled water would be the opposite of what you want

Look for mineral water bottled somewhere in the NE...there's several that bottle water from the Catskills region.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
2 cups natural or greek yogurt
2 cups self rising flour
pinch of salt
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been trying this, type OO pizza flour.  Just add water/yeasr.
Its got a really nice pizzaria crust texture.
https://www.delallo.com/shop/delallo-pizza-dough-kit.html

But I am tryin to use my new kettlepizza too   It works with your weber 22" grill, using hardwood to get the temp way up, and a ceramic stone.  But the bottom is getting too charred/burnt.   Definitely a learning curve there.
The bag makes two 8-10 pies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe a bit off topic, but how are you guys baking your pizza?  I got on a kick a couple of years ago trying to bake pizza, and I had two problems.

One, I couldn't get the dough off the peel without it flopping apart.  I tried cornmeal without success, then I tried parchment paper and that was a little better but ot ideal.

Two, the dough was always undercooked under the ingredients.  Maybe try par-baking it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Maybe a bit off topic, but how are you guys baking your pizza?  I got on a kick a couple of years ago trying to bake pizza, and I had two problems.

One, I couldn't get the dough off the peel without it flopping apart.  I tried cornmeal without success, then I tried parchment paper and that was a little better but ot ideal.

Two, the dough was always undercooked under the ingredients.  Maybe try par-baking it?
View Quote

My wife uses a pizza stone in our electric oven. She has made great pizzas baked all the way through. She does one with ground elk and sautéed onions that is amazing.

Don't have a recipe or temp setting. Pizza stone came from bed bath and beyond.

ETA: perhaps you need to roll your dough thinner for problem number 2.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Use semolina flour instead of corn meal, and cook at 500 degrees (or 550 if your oven will go that high)

I usually start with a pizza on an upper rack, then move it to the bottom for the last few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]

A frozen pizza cooked on a stone on the grill is surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#36]
http://pizzamaking.com

It's the arfcom of the pizza world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Alton Brown's new one

AB pizza dough

King Arthur Flour  has tons of recipes and I really like their Italian style which is their version of 00 and this thin crust, dough is very easy to handle and makes a crisp crust especially on the grill.

Kin Arthur Thin
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#39]

I tried a bag of OO flour for pizza dough and just didn't like the result.

Maybe it was the brand of flour, but I never pursued it after that.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#40]
1 cup water (warmed)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbs honey
1 tsp salt
1/3 packet yeast (or so)

Keep heated for about 10 min to get the yeast all activated and going like gangbusters

And 1 3/4 cup bread flour
Add flavorings - garlic, Italian seasoning (marjoram, basil, etc)
Permit about 1 hour to rise

Flatten.

Toppings.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Tacconelli's Pizzeria is one of my favorite pizza restaurants, where they recommend you call ahead and order/reserve your pizza dough ahead of time before you ever go there to dine... it's just that good!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
2 cups natural or greek yogurt
2 cups self rising flour
pinch of salt
View Quote

Greek yogurt without all of the starch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I just use Alton Browns, or something pulled off the internet.

The most helpful thing you can do to develop flavor in the dough IMO is to make it a day or two before hand and let it rise and ferment some in the refrigerator. I always make the dough on day 1, the sauce on day 2, and the pizza on day 3. Both the dough and the sauce benefit from aging some, and its a lot less hassle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Your basic pizza dough is fine.  On thing I like to do is go heavy on the oil.  The oil is from sundries tomatoes.

Also, the yeast and flour has to be good

Yeast

Flour

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Also,

If you are doing it at home, try some of this on top.  One of my favorites, with onions and olives.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hot and fast helps prevent sticking with semolina on the stone.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Will be trying this next week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I use croissant dough.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you putting suace and toppings on the pie and letting it sit on the board for a while before you try to pick it up with the peel?
If so, don't do that.   Don't put on your toppings until its ready to go in the oven.  
I found right off that was a big problem the first time I tried my pizza kettle.
Its not like cookiing a pie in the oven using a baking sheet.  That you can let sit for a while.

And I will be buying some semolina soon too.  I suspected the corn meal is one of my problems.

As far as the dough being cooked, the pizza kettle can get really hot.   Over 700F, maybe 800-900 if you use oak chunks.  It cooks crazy fast.
When I did in the oven, I would go as hot as my electric oven goes, about 450F
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top