Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2001 8:17:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any cases where citizens with CCW permits but who were denied the right to carry, such as in a business, when a crime happend and they got hurt, have sued the business? If so what was the outcome of the case?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:21:14 AM EDT
The most famous one is Suzanne or Susanna Gratias-Hupp, her parents were killed in the killeen lubys massaccre and she was not allowed to carry her weapon because of a sign on the door. she's a texas lagislator now and makes laws about this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:25:36 AM EDT
Maybe twenty years ago, thw wife of one of the guys in my bullseye league (Utica NY) wanted to get a permit so she could shoot with us. The local CoP refused her a permit on the grounds that "wimmim shouldn't be messin' with guns". They threatened for a while, finally got a lawyer & filed suit. She got her permit on the day the suit was filed. NY (not NYC) has fairly specific criteria for refusing a permit. AFAIK she is still shooting with the league. Norm
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 10:44:23 AM EDT
Probably not. Most CCW statutes allow entities to restrict CCW on their own property (some say you are trespassing if you ignore them). I have no duty to allow a person to bring a lawfully possessed firearm on my property (whether or not I would let them is irrelevant). I wouldn't think a business would either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:56:36 AM EDT
I've heard of a couple of suits that were or have been filed but I haven't heard anything beyond that. My work place is creating a policy on weapons and is considering banning all weapons even if you have a CCW permit. I'm trying to come up with a good argument against that. I've heard people say that if the company doesn't allow it, then they are responsible for your safety. But other than people talking about it, I have no proof if that is true or not. Anybody know?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:01:36 PM EDT
Top Top