Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2016 6:54:56 AM EDT
This is my home town!  I'll bet I know the LGS where he bought the gun.  He had a Virginia ID.

Bombing Suspect Lived In Roanoke, House Searched

A Salem resident and local landlord said the Federal Bureau of Investigation contacted her Monday after learning that the father of a man suspected of carrying out bombings in New York and New Jersey rented a Roanoke property she owns.

Renee Turk said the FBI searched the home Monday night on the 1200 block of Patterson Avenue Southwest after she was contacted by a Roanoke-based agent. The primary tenant of the home, Mohammad Rahami, also gave the FBI permission to search the home, Turk said.

Rahami is the father of 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami, who remains hospitalized after a Monday shootout with officers in Linden, New Jersey, according to the Associated Press. Investigators say the younger Rahami planted bombs in New York and New Jersey, including one that injured 31 people in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood.

When Mohammad Rahami rented the house in December 2015, Turk said Rahami told her that the family was moving from New Jersey. Rahami’s wife and three others were listed on the lease. Ahmad Rahami was not among the tenants listed, Turk said.

“[Mohammad Rahami] owned a fried chicken business up there,” Turk said. “He was wanting to relocate down here because his brother lived in this area.”

Turk said she met Mohammad Rahami infrequently while setting up the lease agreement — when he came down to Roanoke in October and December, and again in January when she met with him to “take care of some paperwork with the bank.”

“I’m not sure how much they were there. I spoke with them in March but I did not physically see the father there,” Turk said. “He was very polite, nice man.”

She said she believes she saw Ahmad Rahami at the house once in the spring, when she noticed overgrown grass at the property.

“I saw three men outside and asked that they cut it immediately and keep the grass at a reasonable level,” she said.

Wednesday, Mohammad Rahami told The New York Times that he warned federal agents about his son’s interest in jihadist music, poetry and other media, as well as his interest in terrorist organizations like Al Qaida. Law enforcement officials told The New York Times Thursday that Rahami did not provide as many details about his son’s interests as he said he did.

Turk said she was unaware of the possible connection her tenant’s son had to the New York and New Jersey bombings until the FBI contacted her Monday.

“I knew there had been a bombing, but I did not see the name,” Turk said. “I gave them any information I had.”

Ahmad Rahami bought a Glock 9 mm handgun from a gun dealer in Salem in July, according to The Washington Post. He is accused of using that handgun to shoot two New Jersey officers. Virginia law requires that those who buy handguns must be a resident of the state “in which the transfer occurs,” according to Virginia State Police’s website.

Police said that Rahami last lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey, but was able to purchase the gun in Salem because he had a valid Virginia ID with a Roanoke address, according to the Post.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Bloomberg is already firing up the limo for a road trip to his favorite governor/pet.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bloomberg is already firing up the limo for a road trip to his favorite governor/pet.

Kharn
View Quote

The Virginia Tech shooter bought his gun here, too.  Wonderful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
So renting with the sole,purpose of being able to buy a firearm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Wonder which states, if not both, he was registered to vote in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard the story on the radio this morning.

Big deal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupe on page one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't you even 1st page bro?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't think it was dupe as the article you posted didn't have anything about the rental house which show the purchase was legal.  Also, my post beat yours by 2 full minutes.  The duper has been duped!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#10]
How did he pass the background check with a conviction for assault and illegally carrying a firearm in 2014?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How did he pass the background check with a conviction for assault and illegally carrying a firearm in 2014?
View Quote

I didn't know about prior convictions.  Someone must have screwed up the reporting.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
New Jersey is pretty solid about reporting convictions and according to other accounts, both of his convictions would disqualify him by the feds. It suggests either a straw purchase or a phony ID. New Jersey has also been pretty good about selling phony driver licenses through the DMV in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if DMV clerks in the Elizabeth area did it again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Straw purchase, fake id/I'd theft, ftf transfer, charges may have been expunged or dropped?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Straw purchase, fake id/I'd theft, ftf transfer, charges may have been expunged or dropped?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just trying to follow the MSM story.  He was arrested in NYC for illegal possession but then buys a gun legally in VA?

Is that what they mean by gun control in NYC?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm just trying to follow the MSM story.  He was arrested in NYC for illegal possession but then buys a gun legally in VA?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be that what he was convicted of in NYC, is not a crime in VA, and wouldn't stop him from purchasing there.
I've seen references to this in A.R.S.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top