Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2016 10:16:06 PM EDT
My lady and I have been dating for two years. I've known her since elementary school but didn't start really talking up until two years ago. Long story long we both know we will be married and have kids together. I'm 29 and shes turning 30 January. Figure by the time we get married and start trying to have kids shell be 31-32. She keeps scaring the shit out of me that the longer we wait the more high risk she will be. Obviously this lead me to reading statistics about older age pregnancies and being more prone to having kids with disabilities, etc. So now I am scared shitless about waiting any longer but I am doing the responsible thing and continuing to wait until we get a place together (in the process) and getting married. We both work at the same place and have decent paying very secure jobs.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one here that will be having a kid post 30 years old. Have any of you experienced complications because of this?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to be many years ago after 35 was high risk. Now days it seems after 40 is high risk. A lady at work had her last kid when she was 38 twelve years later he is a normal 12yo boy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
32 is nothing...don't worry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You should have all your children prior to 30, for a variety of reasons (both  men and women)

But in your case, you better get after ASAP
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I am 39 and have a four year old and twins on the way.  All healthy so far.  We did do a little extra testing to make sure all was well.

She is 35.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
doctors may start worrying if you are carrying after age 35, definately after age 38-40.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OMG!

Wifey and I were both 33 when pony_jr was born. He just turned 21, a Junior at a major university with a 3.63 overall GPA.

I told him he could keep sending me his tuition bills if he kept up the grades. Little bastard is costing me a fortune...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We had ours when me and the wife were 39. No troubles. Kid is 7 now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The "risk" she is talking about normally starts after 40, not 30. Strange things do happen but she is full of shit.

The real issue is the fact that her eggs are getting older. The older she gets the harder it may become to get pregnant. Eggs get old and don't play well with sperm when they are crusty.

How do I know this? My wife and I started the process when she was 36. Got pregnant once and miscarried. A shit ton of money later on fertility treatments she gave birth to twins. At the age of 43!

If you get it done before 35 you are probably gtg. After that it may be more difficult.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a real risk, but people don't care and want to get the most out of life...

Whatever, I have no dog in this fight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
This has probably progressed over the last 20 years or so...

I heard my dad's wife talking about someone wanting to have kids when she said something like, "She can't do that, she's almost 30" (dad's wife is 88, grew up in a different time)
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Spousal unit had our 5th beastie right before she turned 38.  OB kept a little closer eye on her with that one.  Issues around 35 are possible, but not likely provided she is otherwise healthy.  Genetic issues would cause risk at any age.

She'll be fine.  Just make sure y'all practice a lot until then.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
We had our last one when my wife was 42. Zero issues and she'd have another if I'd give her my seed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
34 is generally the age cited in studies for a very slightly increased risk of complications. Show her the statistics for divorce for couples that have a child in the first year of marriage compared to those that wait any time she mentions it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
32 is 'old age'?  I have socks older than that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's nothing now a days, NOTHING!
View Quote

I think risks start to show up after 40.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with all so far. The risk doesn't start to go up till age 35 and even then it's slight. As the woman approaches 40 there's somewhat of a steep curve in the risk. We just had our third a year back, wife had just turned 37. We did do a couple extra test during the pregnancy but nothing crazy. I wouldn't even give it any worry unless she's approaching 40 tbh.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]

We are due in mid October and the wife is 40.  Everything is fine.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#19]
32?? That is not old at all. Wife had my daughter at 41.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife is 31. Carrying healthy twin baby boys due in December.  All genetic tests come back negative, meaning no Downs, etc.

Plenty of people older than this have healthy kids all the time

I'm more concerned about how old I will be when my kids get old, less about how old my wife is when she's carrying.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Give her the baby batter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Eject.  

thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#23]
36 and 38 for our 2 incredibly healthy and intelligent boys. OB kept an eye on the second one with a few extra tests but, not an eye was batted at the office.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Read the literature. The magic age is 40 where shit starts to go fucky

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Sadly, the risk hasn't decreased. People just abort the defective ones.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife and I were married at 19yo, did not have kids right away, just wanted to be together and be able to travel together for a while. When we decided to have a child at 32yo, she got pregnant(by me yes.....before the knuckle heads make a comment), we now have a very smart 6yo first grader at 38years old!

No regrets on our part!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]
The risk is definitely increased by thirty. Every year that goes by the risks increase. You will have to decide at what age you consider the risks to be more than you want to chance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#28]
We had our first when I was 32 and the wife was 29; she just had our fourth child at 40.

No issues, the last three were home births.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife was 32 and 34. Both our children are as healthy as can be. Praise the gods.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Used to be many years ago after 35 was high risk. Now days it seems after 40 is high risk. A lady at work had her last kid when she was 38 twelve years later he is a normal 12yo boy.
View Quote

Yeah 40 is downs risk.   That is why it's a big deal.

My old lady had ours at 33 and 35 both healthy and rambunctious.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OMG!

Wifey and I were both 33 when pony_jr was born. He just turned 21, a Junior at a major university with a 3.63 overall GPA.

I told him he could keep sending me his tuition bills if he kept up the grades. Little bastard is costing me a fortune...
View Quote

Heed this man's advice, OP. You don't want to have a kid that can only keep up a 3.63.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sadly, the risk hasn't decreased. People just abort the defective ones.  
View Quote

That's just silly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite. A quick internet search will show that the risk of downs increases at 25, 30 and so on. The site I just looked at put 25-30 year olds at like a 1in 1250 and 30-35 at around 1 in 950. That is still a small chance but a definite increase. As pointed out it snowballs from there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#34]
MIL had her 9th at 44. No issue. He is 16 and one of the most squared away kids I know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My lady and I have been dating for two years. I've known her since elementary school but didn't start really talking up until two years ago. Long story long we both know we will be married and have kids together. I'm 29 and shes turning 30 January. Figure by the time we get married and start trying to have kids shell be 31-32. She keeps scaring the shit out of me that the longer we wait the more high risk she will be. Obviously this lead me to reading statistics about older age pregnancies and being more prone to having kids with disabilities, etc. So now I am scared shitless about waiting any longer but I am doing the responsible thing and continuing to wait until we get a place together (in the process) and getting married. We both work at the same place and have decent paying very secure jobs.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one here that will be having a kid post 30 years old. Have any of you experienced complications because of this?
View Quote
Females clock out about 25. Past that and it's considered "advanced maternal age".

BE SURE YOU MAKE ENOUGH SO SHE CAN STAY HOME FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

While birth defects are a reason for concern, fertility is actually a bigger one.  Female peak fertility is between ages 18 to 26.  It drops off slowly until age 30, and then more dramatically after age 35.  It wouldn't hurt to hurry up if you know you want children together, and if you've known her for that long.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Wife is 37 and pregnant. So far so good.

A buddy of mine had a pushy wife who really wanted kids. According to him, she was always hounding him for sex so she could get pregnant. She didn't know that he had a visectomy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife and I have fertility issues so we got a later start.  We're currently trying for a 3rd and she's 37. We won't try after 40 but  I'm pretty sure you guys will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife and I had our 1st at 27 and 2nd and 3rd (twins) at 29.  She was a champ and carried them full-term (for twins, which is 38-weeks +/-).  No issues so far with any of them, although my wife and I have lost our sanity.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's nothing now a days, NOTHING!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a much older man on his second marriage with kids from both, listen to me.

What should be scaring you is that your GIRLFRIEND of TWO YEARS is pressuring you to GET MARRIED specifically for the purpose of HAVING KIDS.

That is a Tsar-Bomba-sized red flag.  Huge.  YUUUUUGE.

I am not being a dick.  I am not teasing you or poking fun.  I am deadly serious.  Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous thing in the world is not a Marine and his rifle; it is a woman who cannot hear the voice of reason because her biological alarm clock has gone from tick-tick to RIIIIINNNNGGGG RIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG.

I would be far less worried if you were currently two years into your marriage.  That would mean you've gotten a couple of years of "it's just us" time as a married couple (trust me, dating is not the same as marriage), your relationship had "succeeded" for it's first two years of marriage, and it would imply that you had several years of dating each other to create a solid foundation for a marriage.  Under those circumstances, there is nothing abnormal about starting to think about kids, as long as you both agreed before your marriage that you were both firmly committed to having kids together.  

That's not your situation.  You have only been dating for two years.  You're not even married.  Generally, 30 to late 30s is a "healthy" age range for carrying a baby.  This rush to pregnancy is illogical.

Having kids because you're happily married is great.  Getting married because she is desperate to have kids is insane.

Mark my words and mark them well.  She is not looking for you to be her husband.  She is not even looking for a husband.  She is looking for someone to get her pregnant.  BTDT.  "A husband" and "you as that husband" are secondary to that.  Marriage merely provides a veneer of stability, security, and virtue to cover that craving for kids.  She may not even consciously realize that she is obsessed with finding Mr. Right Now instead of Mr. Right.  Regardless, them feelz of "babies babies babies" is smacking her right in the uterus like a punch from Mike Tyson.  It's clouding her judgment; don't let it cloud yours.

Fear is a powerful indicator; it helps us know when and how to fight or flee.  She is the predator.  You are the prey.  Feel fear.  Run away.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What should be scaring you is that your GIRLFRIEND of TWO YEARS is pressuring you to GET MARRIED specifically for the purpose of HAVING KIDS.

I am not being a dick.  I am not teasing you or poking fun.  I am deadly serious.  Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous thing in the world is not a Marine and his rifle; it is a woman who cannot hear the voice of reason because her biological alarm clock has gone from tick-tick to RIIIIINNNNGGGG RIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG.

I would be far less worried if you were currently two years into your marriage.  That would mean you've gotten a couple of years of "it's just us" time, your relationship had "succeeded" for it's first two years of marriage, and it would imply that you had several years of dating each other to create a solid foundation for a marriage.  Under those circumstances, there is nothing abnormal about starting to think about kids, as long as you both agreed before your marriage that you were both firmly committed to having kids together.  

That's not your situation.  You have only been dating for two years.  You're not even married.  Generally, 30 to late 30s is a "healthy" age range for carrying a baby.  This rush to pregnancy is illogical.

Having kids because you're happily married is great.  Getting married because she is desperate to have kids is insane.

Mark my words and mark them well.  She is not looking for you to be her husband.  She is not even looking for a husband.  She is looking for someone to get her pregnant.  BTDT.  "A husband" and "you as that husband" are secondary to that.  Marriage merely provides a veneer of stability, security, and virtue to cover that craving for kids.

Fear is a powerful indicator; it helps us know when and how to fight or flee.  She is the predator.  You are the prey.  Feel fear.  Run away.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be far less worried if you were currently two years into your marriage.  That would mean you've gotten a couple of years of "it's just us" time, your relationship had "succeeded" for it's first two years of marriage, and it would imply that you had several years of dating each other to create a solid foundation for a marriage.  Under those circumstances, there is nothing abnormal about starting to think about kids, as long as you both agreed before your marriage that you were both firmly committed to having kids together.  

Mark my words and mark them well.  She is not looking for you to be her husband.  She is not even looking for a husband.  She is looking for someone to get her pregnant.  BTDT.  "A husband" and "you as that husband" are secondary to that.  Marriage merely provides a veneer of stability, security, and virtue to cover that craving for kids.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT rush into having kids, make sure your relationship is stable for the long haul.
Having kids will only bring more stress into your relationship.
Don't read the stats of medical problems with kids, they push a lot of fear, all you hear about is autistic this and that.

The 1st kid took about a year of trying.  The 2nd kid only needed one shot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Its a bit if a numbers game. My wife got pregnant when we weren't trying at 35 and miscarried early on. After that we tried for 4 years and did fertility treatments but we were ultimately unsuccessful, and eventually had a child through embryo adoption. Could we have had a child naturally? Maybe but the odds were against us.

Conversely, my buddy's wife had their last kid at 41 with zero problems. Everyone's different but nature still takes a toll on the odds as you get older.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#44]
12 years ago my now ex-wife gave birth to our perfectly healthy daughter, Ex was 45 when she conceived and only a month shy of 46 when our daughter was born.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#45]
As others have said this is a numbers game.  I started by building an NFA stamp collection.  Trust me when I tell you stamps are cheaper then kids.  They're cheaper to feed also.

Tell her she can have a kid every 10 stamps
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I was born when both parents were 34 ish.
I'm normal-ish...I think?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
12 years ago my now ex-wife gave birth to our perfectly healthy daughter, Ex was 45 when she conceived and only a month shy of 46 when our daughter was born.
View Quote

OP, please ignore posts like this one that have no basis in science but only anecdote.  Yes, many women over 40 do have children, but they represent a tiny percentage of children born and grossly over-represent children with birth defects.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I am 42, wife is 33. We have a 1 month old daughter, who is so far healthy.

That said, if you plan to have kids, the sooner the better. I will be 62 with a 20 year old kid, for some perspective. I got a late start in life by about ten to fifteen years due to circumstances outside of my control, so I wasn't situated well to start a family until my mid 30's. Better late than never, but sooner is better still.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#49]
When the woman hits 35 the risk of downs starts to rise exponentially and her obgyn will be more cautious. With that being said there is good genetic testing now and I delivered a lot of babies from older mothers that were fine when I was on obgyn for medical school.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#50]
These are the odds:
Any Chromosomal disorder (Downs Syn in parentheses)
Age 30: 1:385 (1:1000)
Age 40: 1:66 (1:100)

The odds are in your favor even at age 40.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top