BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Three cel phones, two tablets, cell modem, laptop, desktop....

But I'm in IT, so there's that...
View Quote

Lol, my company found out in a hurry how many people used their personal cell phones AFTER they banned them. Two weeks later I was getting called on the carpet for why I didn't answer my office phone when out on the floor and given an ultimatum: take a company phone or start carrying my personal phone where I can be reached.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm a GS and I use my personal cell for work.  I don't get issued one and I'm on call 24/7.  
My cell is next to my computer at work.  Desk phones don't text.

TYCOM

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cell phones are not allowed on the flightline (carrier or shorebase), the Sailors can have them in their shops and on breaks, the contractors cannot have a cell phone on them at anytime while on-the-clock and civil service follows Military policy.
Civil service can't use their personal cell phones for work, it's almost a requirement for the Military.

I'm a GS and I use my personal cell for work.  I don't get issued one and I'm on call 24/7.  
My cell is next to my computer at work.  Desk phones don't text.

TYCOM

Lol. Thats stupid. Unless youre getting called in for some crazy overtime, I'd tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a electrical engineer walk into the fork truck while on his cell phone.  The fork truck was lifting a pallet up to a high shelf, the guy walks in between the shelf and the truck.  He ends up hitting his head above his eye on the fork.  He walked away with some minor cuts and bruising.  After that cell phones were banned from use in the shop, if you need to make a call you have to go to an office area.

We also have a no cell phone in the car policy, but the bosses keep calling when they know you're driving to the customers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We had a electrical engineer walk into the fork truck while on his cell phone.  The fork truck was lifting a pallet up to a high shelf, the guy walks in between the shelf and the truck.  He ends up hitting his head above his eye on the fork.  He walked away with some minor cuts and bruising.  After that cell phones were banned from use in the shop, if you need to make a call you have to go to an office area.

We also have a no cell phone in the car policy, but the bosses keep calling when they know you're driving to the customers.
View Quote

Wouldn't it make more sense to fire the inattentive asshole, rather than ban one of the most ubiquitous and useful tools on the planet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Make employees leave them in their lockers during work hours or let them carry and use them unrestricted?

What's the hives consensus?

Update

Thanks for the input.  Background is a warehouse manufacturing facility. I've had a "use your discretion" policy up till today. Increasingly we've had a handful of employees abuse it. We've definitely seen lowered productivity and a few near misses.

All I've demanded with the new policy is personal phones be left in car locker or office during work hours not including breaks. I've also told them if something important or serious is going on to just ask me and I'll allow them a short term exception.... like waiting for a doctor to call back or if they have a sick child.

My lord you'd think I've demanded they give half their check to United Way and three pints of blood to the Red Cross.

I guess they can go elsewhere if its that oppressive.
View Quote

You're being quite reasonable, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I work in manufacturing and it is a joke. So many folks have their face in a phone instead of concentrating on their job.  People walking out in front of forklifts,machine downtime,etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's OK, as long as you're stripping people of their CCWs and pocket knives too... I mean hey, if you want to strip people of the tools that they have available to respond to emergencies, then more power to oyu
View Quote
Do you even shelter in place
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago I was doing a security job at a manufacturing facility. I was walking through the plant on my personal cell phone when a guy come up to me and says "hey man you ain't supposed to be on your personal phone". The person I was talking to wanted to speak to him so I handed my phone to him. Turns out I was talking to one of the plant managers.

The manager told that employee to never speak to me again and never question anything I was doing if I was there.

He was fired a few weeks later, just for being generally useless in just about every way.

At my current full-time job we are allowed to bring their personal phones, tablets, laptops, pretty much whatever we want to do as long as our work is being done. Luckily I work overnights so I have plenty of free time.

My part-time job as a security job watching a new car dealership in a nice city, so there's not much to do here except for watching cars in reading arfcom on my phone. We also use our phones to check into the company time logging system so we are required to have our phone with us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've worked in production environments in chemical plants, food production, warehouses and auto shops.

Somehow, nobody died when people had cell phones.

Must have been surrounded by miracles and angels and shit.

Cell phones do not cause inattention. Inattentive assholes often use cell phones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say it depends on the job.

I don't treat my employees like high school students because I don't want them to act like high school students. Blanket confiscation of personal property seems like a juvenile approach. Again, depending on the job, I suppose. The phones are a non issue because I handle such problems on an individual basis and I try not to hire idiots.

The only job I can conjure where it *isn't* a juvenile response is one where there's a security clearance involved and the ban is specifically to address phones\cameras in secure locations.

I never had an issue handing my cell phone in when I entered a SCIF, for instance.

All the "you better not be texting when I pay you to work" assholes are wound way too tight. If you think that by taking away the cell phones you're somehow BOOSTING the productivity of an employee who would otherwise fuck off all day, you're insane.

If some jack leg owner or corporate drone told me, as a grown man, that I couldn't carry a PHONE in my pocket, I'd tell them to get fucked. There's too many decent jobs out there to deal with little micro-managers with a paternal streak and a "by God, you'll do as I say!" attitude.

Same guys who are always bitching about a lack of decent applicants, I'm sure.

Employees who are going to fuck off, are going to fuck off. Those who aren't inclined to do so, won't. Banning cell phones, even in the name of "safety" is a fool's errand.

You're supposed to punish shitty behavior, not punish the entirety of your work force because of what people might do.

You do in a production environment in a factory.

I've worked in production environments in chemical plants, food production, warehouses and auto shops.

Cell phones do not cause inattention. Inattentive assholes often use cell phones.

Have you ever ran one?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you better not let me catch you on a cell phone in my shop. You will be talking outside with no job.  I have never hired anyone to talk on the phone except salesmen. How the hell did it ever get to the place where you were supposed to be doing something other then working? I pay people to work,, not socialize on the phone. If there is an emergency, call the office, we will go get whoever needs gotten.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
None on the production floor. Termination if found. Of course supervisors and managers can have them and techs have company flip phones so we are linked with the PLC systems. One supervisor constantly is on her phone on the floor playing games or texting her peeps. She's someone's special snowflake and gets away with it.

View Quote

I recently worked at a place with that policy. The supervisor plugged his phone into his pc so he could watch ESPN.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you ever ran one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd say it depends on the job.

I don't treat my employees like high school students because I don't want them to act like high school students. Blanket confiscation of personal property seems like a juvenile approach. Again, depending on the job, I suppose. The phones are a non issue because I handle such problems on an individual basis and I try not to hire idiots.

The only job I can conjure where it *isn't* a juvenile response is one where there's a security clearance involved and the ban is specifically to address phones\cameras in secure locations.

I never had an issue handing my cell phone in when I entered a SCIF, for instance.

All the "you better not be texting when I pay you to work" assholes are wound way too tight. If you think that by taking away the cell phones you're somehow BOOSTING the productivity of an employee who would otherwise fuck off all day, you're insane.

If some jack leg owner or corporate drone told me, as a grown man, that I couldn't carry a PHONE in my pocket, I'd tell them to get fucked. There's too many decent jobs out there to deal with little micro-managers with a paternal streak and a "by God, you'll do as I say!" attitude.

Same guys who are always bitching about a lack of decent applicants, I'm sure.

Employees who are going to fuck off, are going to fuck off. Those who aren't inclined to do so, won't. Banning cell phones, even in the name of "safety" is a fool's errand.

You're supposed to punish shitty behavior, not punish the entirety of your work force because of what people might do.

You do in a production environment in a factory.

Have you ever ran one?

Ran one what? A production facility?

The only thing that might translate in my career is the time I spent running a cell tower company. Where attention to the job at hand meant life or death. Where cranes, trucks, heavy equipment, ropes, harnesses and the guys around you were all deadly if they weren't  properly employed.

So, yeah, I guess you could say I did.

Of course, we expected our guys to have cell phones and use them when appropriate.

Banning cell phones under the guise of "safety concerns" is simply an admission that your safety policies, management and personnel suck and you're unwilling to change it. So, you blame the phone instead of the inattentive moron using it in a dangerous way and you ban the phone, instead of the moron.

It's lazy management. I supposes the people you hire are too dumb to look out for their own well-being.

The most important question then becomes: Why are you hiring such useless dumbasses?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Give your family the number of the facility for emergencies.  Cell phones should be secured before coming into any workplace.
Cell phones DO NOT belong in any workplace.  If you have THAT much of an emergency situation at home, stay the fuck home.

Otherwise, people can call you at work via the work phone line.
Seriously...cell phones cause more bullshit, accidents, workplace drama, and lost work time for employers and are totally
unnecessary.  Any smart boss would ban them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:33:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
None on the production floor. Termination if found. Of course supervisors and managers can have them and techs have company flip phones so we are linked with the PLC systems. One supervisor constantly is on her phone on the floor playing games or texting her peeps. She's someone's special snowflake and gets away with it.

View Quote

Same here.  Two months ago: "Strict new 'No Cell Phone' rule is now in effect.  Violators warned first time, termination second time."

Within three days: "Cell phone use for management is OK."
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Just fire the shitheads that are a problem. Seems dumb to punish everyone. Then again, I go weeks without seeing any management.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

This drives me up the wall.

My boss has a bad habit about fucking with her phone while driving, so she doesn't seem to think it's much of an issue if I'm driving and she calls or texts me.  Company policy, aintnobodygottimefodat.

I don't agree with a blanket policy of banning phones in the workplace, unless it's a legit security concern.  Only authorized people could carry State issued phones in the prison, for example.  No problem.

Otherwise the problem is the employee's behavior, not their property.

However, not my circus, nor my monkeys.  The Ringmaster makes the rules.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:04:13 AM EDT
[#17]
A few of my clients are having these issues also. Seems like the younger generations have little or very low concepts of what a work ethic is. I saw 3 people get fired today while onsite for a different client over this exact subject.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Same here.  Two months ago: "Strict new 'No Cell Phone' rule is now in effect.  Violators warned first time, termination second time."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a shiity place to work. $10 hr and 60 hour weeks with no advancement opportunities too. Im sure.

I can not believe the majority of the people on a gun forum support blaming an inatimate object instead of someones actions/ responsibilities.  Then the best supported solution is to ban said inatimate object?  Are you people fucking serious??

Management waiver is like waiving CA LEO from CA gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I can understand, somewhat, with hourly employees, but salaried?

Txl

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make employees leave them in their lockers during work hours or let them carry and use them unrestricted?

Update

Thanks for the input.  Background is a warehouse manufacturing facility. I've had a "use your discretion" policy up till today. Increasingly we've had a handful of employees abuse it. We've definitely seen lowered productivity and a few near misses.

All I've demanded with the new policy is personal phones be left in car locker or office during work hours not including breaks. I've also told them if something important or serious is going on to just ask me and I'll allow them a short term exception.... like waiting for a doctor to call back or if they have a sick child.

My lord you'd think I've demanded they give half their check to United Way and three pints of blood to the Red Cross.

View Quote

Let them keep them, but let them know if they are seen using their phone often there will be repercussions.

At my job there are people that will literally spend hours playing on their phone not doing what they are paid to do.  It drives me bonkers...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#21]
In my job, my role, there's no problem. I work in IT related support, and as long as I'm on on the phone with a customer, there's never really any situation where looking at my personal cell will cause a major issue.

Now, if I was in some place like OP's situation - manufacturing or warehouse - then it's probably definitely a good idea NOT to allow people to poke around on their phones all the time. On their breaks or lunch, fine.

If someone has a personal emergency outside work, their spouse, children, parents, whomever, should have a work number that they can be contacted with.

I mean, shit, when I was back in school, cell phones were practically  non-existent (car phones were majorly expensive and no one had them). If something happened, my 'rents would have called the school and had me informed. You don't need to be instantly reachable 24/7.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
It varies, usually it is a big boy rules as and if you are using during am accident of any work vehicle they will check your phone history. We do have secure facilities where phones/media devices have to be left in lockers outside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, and people pulled through Polio with the Iron Lung for hundreds of years before the Polio vaccine was invented, so why should we change right? Fuck the vaccine, let's go back to iron lungs!

Cell phones cause people to goof off just like guns cause people to murder other people... What the fuck is wrong with you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's OK, as long as you're stripping people of their CCWs and pocket knives too... I mean hey, if you want to strip people of the tools that they have available to respond to emergencies, then more power to oyu

Emergencies were going on and being addressed for hundreds of years before the cell phone, it's not a valid response to say a personal cell phone is needed at work. Every business I've ever worked at or been to has a phone. If you are not responsible enough to provide your work phone number to the people you believe would need you in an emergency then that's your problem.

Yeah, and people pulled through Polio with the Iron Lung for hundreds of years before the Polio vaccine was invented, so why should we change right? Fuck the vaccine, let's go back to iron lungs!

Cell phones should not be allowed at work, period. Unless it is a company provided cell phone due to your job duties. I am quite sure that the amount of time wasted, and the emergencies actually created by the stupid fucking cell phones outweigh the number of actual emergencies that have been addressed by cell phone. Yeah, I'm an old fart, I was around when you didn't need area codes and there was a rotary dial on the phone. And yeah, I use my cell daily, but the amount of fucking off done by cell phone as witnessed on a daily basis leads to me to believe that we've probably lost 50% of our productivity by those that can't put them down at work.

Cell phones cause people to goof off just like guns cause people to murder other people... What the fuck is wrong with you?

As someone who has beeen working with and training newer younger workers from the cell phone generation, the problem is that many of you don't have one fookin clue about how to actually work in the first damn place and the ''smart'' phone makes you dumber and more lazy then you would normally be. It takes away from the focus you should have on the job and places it on that POS in your pocket or on your side instead.

Instead of a tool, it is a distraction in almost every workplace setting to include meetings. Yes I have one, it is used for work calls, it stays in the vehicle when I'm on a job, after 15 years with one at work, I can honestly say that real actual emergencies have been in the VERY low single digits. Emergencies don't include idiotic girlfriends stressing about what to wear BTW, nor do they include 20 minutes text/phone calls on who is going to pick up Jr after work, deal with that shit on your own time before you go to work.

For those that claim it's abused by just a few people, sorry, from what I see it's almost all new hires, they just don't seem to have enough self control to not fiddle fvck with it all the time, guess they think they miss Ed Mcmahon's phone call that they won a million bucks. [yeah he's dead]

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless your management is actually working alongside production people, so what?
The main problem with such phones are twofold; lack of production because people can't put their fucking phones down and
safety for the exact same reason.   In many cases, it's not the supervisor's job to actually work, but to ensure that the work
gets done on schedule and in a safe manner consistent with company policy.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a shiity place to work. $10 hr and 60 hour weeks with no advancement opportunities too. Im sure.

I can not believe the majority of the people on a gun forum support blaming an inatimate object instead of someones actions/ responsibilities.  Then the best supported solution is to ban said inatimate object?  Are you people fucking serious??

Not even the same thing.  People don't pick their guns up and fondle them all day long, lovingly staring down their barrels, playing games on them, and such.   It's not banning the object, it's prohibiting their use during work hours.
You're at work to WORK.  To produce for your employer.  Not to fucking play on your phone.  You have a serious situation at home that mandates that you keep your hands glued to your phone, you probably need to be at home.
Or you significant other/kid can call you on your work line.  Further, that gun that you're CCWing in the workplace isn't keeping you from doing your job, it's the droves of idiots who can't let an hour pass without finger-fucking their phone to death
and hanging out on Instagram/Facebook/Social Media/games bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I work with adults who are treated as such. Never had an issue with cell phone useage. You could spend all day playing Pokemon Go for what I care. As long as your work load is being managed effectively I don't care if you spend half the day looking at your phone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not even the same thing.  People don't pick their guns up and fondle them all day long, lovingly staring down their barrels, playing games on them, and such.   It's not banning the object, it's prohibiting their use during work hours.
You're at work to WORK.  To produce for your employer.  Not to fucking play on your phone.  You have a serious situation at home that mandates that you keep your hands glued to your phone, you probably need to be at home.
Or you significant other/kid can call you on your work line.  Further, that gun that you're CCWing in the workplace isn't keeping you from doing your job, it's the droves of idiots who can't let an hour pass without finger-fucking their phone to death
and hanging out on Instagram/Facebook/Social Media/games bullshit.
View Quote

I don't understand how people CAN'T understand this.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I work with adults who are treated as such. Never had an issue with cell phone useage. You could spend all day playing Pokemon Go for what I care. As long as your work load is being managed effectively I don't care if you spend half the day looking at your phone.
View Quote

That's a far different work environment than what I am used to.  Our line workers have to keep up with several processing lines that require damn near constant attention unless there is downtime for maintenance or a backup.  When those two things occur, unless you are actively repairing the problem, you should be cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My office tried to restrict cell phone use. They were successful with restricting work cell phones. They were basically told to fuck off when they started handing out policies on when/where we could use personal phones. They even attempted to solicit personal cell phone records after incidents and were again told to fuck off. On the company supplied phones they have control, personal absolutely not.
View Quote

lol

Any employer asking for my phone bills or demading to inspect my phone would get told to pound sand. I've never needed a job so bad that I would tolerate that sort of thing. Of course I've seen people here that defend things like employers demanding login info to social media accounts so I'm sure some hand licking drone will be along to dissagree with me shortly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A few of my clients are having these issues also. Seems like the younger generations have little or very low concepts of what a work ethic is. I saw 3 people get fired today while onsite for a different client over this exact subject.
View Quote

lol

I've sure never worked with old farts that would sneak off to have a nap on the clock. Must not share the work ethic of previous generations either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Lol.

I guarantee that the guys arguing the loudest that they need their cellphones during work hours so they can save somebody's life in an emergency are the ones playing Pokemon or some shit when they should be working.

Give somebody a toy to carry around and they're going to play with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#31]
$2,000 fine the law can give you for texting or use without a hands free device.
So there is that

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Emergencies were going on and being addressed for hundreds of years before the cell phone, it's not a valid response to say a personal cell phone is needed at work. Every business I've ever worked at or been to has a phone. If you are not responsible enough to provide your work phone number to the people you believe would need you in an emergency then that's your problem.

Cell phones should not be allowed at work, period. Unless it is a company provided cell phone due to your job duties. I am quite sure that the amount of time wasted, and the emergencies actually created by the stupid fucking cell phones outweigh the number of actual emergencies that have been addressed by cell phone. Yeah, I'm an old fart, I was around when you didn't need area codes and there was a rotary dial on the phone. And yeah, I use my cell daily, but the amount of fucking off done by cell phone as witnessed on a daily basis leads to me to believe that we've probably lost 50% of our productivity by those that can't put them down at work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh its a damn emergency if mommy's little darling cant constantly be updating their facebook status and posting stupid shit. Kids these days are damn pussies
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
These threads generally break down along blue collar/white collar lines.  

My cell phone is just one of two dozen computing devices I have within arms reach at the moment, and I haven't verbally spoken to or seen my "manager" in two weeks.
View Quote

Seems to be the case.  I'm salaried and do software development.  I'd be shocked if there was anyone in the building who doesn't have a cell phone.  Mine is sitting beside me on my desk.  I also have a laptop with internet access at all times while working.  As another poster stated, we have a wireless network inside the building explicitly for our personal devices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The only thing that might translate in my career is the time I spent running a cell tower company. Where attention to the job at hand meant life or death. Where cranes, trucks, heavy equipment, ropes, harnesses and the guys around you were all deadly if they weren't  properly employed.

Of course, we expected our guys to have cell phones and use them when appropriate.

Banning cell phones under the guise of "safety concerns" is simply an admission that your safety policies, management and personnel suck and you're unwilling to change it. So, you blame the phone instead of the inattentive moron using it in a dangerous way and you ban the phone, instead of the moron.

It's lazy management. I supposes the people you hire are too dumb to look out for their own well-being.

The most important question then becomes: Why are you hiring such useless dumbasses?
View Quote

I can tell you really don't have a clue about this. In manufacturing generally they have open hiring. Can't hire enough people. (I'm talking those with several thousand employees) At the wages they pay, there aren't too many "smart" people getting hired or applying.

My company does short term and long term disability, and business insurance/ workers comp/ benefits, etc. There are at least 20 cell phone related injuries that cost employers money out of my 400 and some clients every year. That number is going down because insurance carriers are even working on having cell phones prohibited in certain (mostly warehouse, manufacturing) type jobs.  Believe me the only reason they care, is because shit is happening and they are paying money.

If you don't think they lower production you are wrong again.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May be an insurance thing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like you have trust issues with your employees, which is a way bigger problem than cell phones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you better not let me catch you on a cell phone in my shop. You will be talking outside with no job.  I have never hired anyone to talk on the phone except salesmen. How the hell did it ever get to the place where you were supposed to be doing something other then working? I pay people to work,, not socialize on the phone. If there is an emergency, call the office, we will go get whoever needs gotten.

Sounds to me like you have trust issues with your employees, which is a way bigger problem than cell phones.

trust issues? I call it theft. I pay them for an hour of work, I should get the hour of work.

You can make all the excuses you want, for thinking i should pay you for talking on the phone or texting your mother,,but I am paying you to work, not be on your own agenda. More "i am entitled" mentality.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I run a 100 person 3 shift mfg and warehousing operation and you will never get them to totally stop using them. I have written people up and fired them , yet they are like crack heads with phones. They run to bathroom all the time , hid behind boxes , keep in purses , hide under tables , and on and on. I have had a few blatantly just start texting and talking at their work stations like it was nothing.

Each person signs off on "shop policy" that states no cell phone use on the floor  and we signs posted , but it never fails I get one every couple of weeks breaking the rules.

I wish I could have a dampener , but its against the law and bunch of BS.

Right now I just deal with it as best I can because it is the new norm. The younger people feel entitled to use the phone and you would think it is vital to their very existence.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#38]
The building I work in blocks cell phone signals, so my phone is basically a brick/e-reader unless I'm in a "break-out" area or outside.

This includes my organization-issued Blackberry, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can tell you really don't have a clue about this. In manufacturing generally they have open hiring. Can't hire enough people. (I'm talking those with several thousand employees) At the wages they pay, there aren't too many "smart" people getting hired or applying.

My company does short term and long term disability, and business insurance/ workers comp/ benefits, etc. There are at least 20 cell phone related injuries that cost employers money out of my 400 and some clients every year. That number is going down because insurance carriers are even working on having cell phones prohibited in certain (mostly warehouse, manufacturing) type jobs.  Believe me the only reason they care, is because shit is happening and they are paying money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, you don't have a clue what I know and what my background is.

Is it really your contention that companies have no choice in who they hire? Because I run a staffing agency and I can assure you that your assertion is at odds with reality.

I said you aren't going to get more production from a useless moron just because you have decreed they can't have their cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The building I work in blocks cell phone signals, so my phone is basically a brick/e-reader unless I'm in a "break-out" area or outside.

This includes my organization-issued Blackberry, unfortunately.
View Quote

Because of its location and building design or because someone is actively halting the signal?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I work at a hospital and we're allowed to use them as long as it's discreet and not in any view of patients. A lot of people use them to text other workers, call doctors/surgeons, etc. This is how it should be IMHO.

My girlfriend works for an eye doctor, and they get fired if they're seen using them outside of lunch hour. I think it's a stupid rule, especially since I can't easily reach her or tell her anything outside of that 1 hour for lunch, which varies daily.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#42]
What the fuck?   Just rate your employees and hold them to it.   Who gives shit what they do if they still make rate?  Stop fighting cell phones.  Youre not going to win.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your employees were finger fucking their guns instead of working you'd be ok with that?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Update

View Quote

Why not just address the issue with that handful of employees and leave everyone else alone?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#45]
They don't need them so make them leave them elsewhere in and industrial environment.  Most plants I work in have a rule that no craft labor are allowed to have phones.  I have a few that if I drive in the plant they confiscate my phone at the front office.  Hell, Chevron refineries have a deal worked out with my company that you are not even allowed to use your phone in your car driving to and from any of their refineries.  Of course no one honors it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$40/hr, pretty good place to work, no advancement opportunity.  40 hrs/week (overtime just isn't available).

Management waiver wasn't added to address insurance.  It was added because every time a manager was seen with a cell phone (and this happened frequently), they were politely reminded "Sorry, Boss, but IAW the new policy, cell phone use is forbidden" by workers.  Managers started feeling harassed, so the Site Manager changed the rule.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd never leave my cell phone behind, job rules or not. I have parents/grandparents with constant health issues and I need to be available.

I don't play with it on the job, though. When I'm on the clock I'm being paid to work not to screw around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Amazing how many people on this forum are perfectly fine with taking things away from others because of the problems of a few.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Let them keep them, but let them know if they are seen using their phone often there will be repercussions.

At my job there are people that will literally spend hours playing on their phone not doing what they are paid to do.  It drives me bonkers...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update

This is pretty much where this is leading to. Unfortunately our state is NOT an  At Will state. I have to have a paper trail and we didn't have a policy so anything done to remedy could be questioned.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#50]
In the work place, how many lives have been saved because employees have immediate access to their cell phone vs: how many accidents have they caused?
Just make sure that your family has a contact number for you at your job, can be the front desk or the break room phone.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top