User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As for McMaster I find them to be a bit pricey myself. Which brings us full circle to my point before the crowd came along.

If you JUST want pistol targets mild steel is fine and you may very well find the best price at the local fabrication shop or welding shop. I wouldnt be at all surprised if if your local welding shop can give you comparable sized targets to MOA Targets (or any vendors AR500 plates) at 1/3 to 1/4 the price if you want mild steel.

In fact I'll put up a Pepsi challenge. Winner gets $100 bucks in steel. If I can find mild steel cheaper locally than MOA targets AR500 prices I win. If not....You win. As proof if I do find it locally I'll buy a plate of comparable size to what MOA targets offers and post the receipt.

I know for a fact the last time I bought my steel local mild steel prices blew the doors off the online high end stuff. Now maybe things have changed....In which case you get $100 bucks worth of steel targets dont you.

Dont get me wrong. If I want rifle rated plates I'd hit up one of the online vendors mentioned here. AR500 is in a whole different league than mild steel. I love the prices and selection of whats available for shooters online. But lets not lose sight of the fact that for non magnum pistols you do not need AR500. Mild steel will work just fine.

The OP was pretty vague in what he intended to do. If its rifle, AR500 without question. If he just wants to plink with his 22 and shoot his fancy 9mm Sig Legion, well AR500 is a bit overkill. Admittedly theres a lot to be said for the point and click of online shopping.......

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get a 6 foot length for 145. Which puts the price at 33 cents and is enough steel for a whole lot of pistol targets.
Alright, at this point I can't tell if you're trolling me or just stubborn.    

From my website, you can get 6" square 1/4" AR400 targets with one precut hole (square, normally, but ask for whatever you want) for $12/ea. That puts you at $0.333333/sq inch for laser cut targets of hardened steel that will hold up basically forever to service pistol use, and can be used without damage at 300 yards with 5.56.

A dozen of them, which is what you'd get out of your 6' stick from McMaster, is going to run you $144, weigh 2/3 of what the 3/8" mild weighs, and only involves you punching buttons on the computer to get delivered to your door. If you buy 15 of them from me, they even ship for free.

McMaster is great for when you need one of something, but really shouldn't be considered the gold standard of cheap online vendor.

As for McMaster I find them to be a bit pricey myself. Which brings us full circle to my point before the crowd came along.

If you JUST want pistol targets mild steel is fine and you may very well find the best price at the local fabrication shop or welding shop. I wouldnt be at all surprised if if your local welding shop can give you comparable sized targets to MOA Targets (or any vendors AR500 plates) at 1/3 to 1/4 the price if you want mild steel.

In fact I'll put up a Pepsi challenge. Winner gets $100 bucks in steel. If I can find mild steel cheaper locally than MOA targets AR500 prices I win. If not....You win. As proof if I do find it locally I'll buy a plate of comparable size to what MOA targets offers and post the receipt.

I know for a fact the last time I bought my steel local mild steel prices blew the doors off the online high end stuff. Now maybe things have changed....In which case you get $100 bucks worth of steel targets dont you.

Dont get me wrong. If I want rifle rated plates I'd hit up one of the online vendors mentioned here. AR500 is in a whole different league than mild steel. I love the prices and selection of whats available for shooters online. But lets not lose sight of the fact that for non magnum pistols you do not need AR500. Mild steel will work just fine.

The OP was pretty vague in what he intended to do. If its rifle, AR500 without question. If he just wants to plink with his 22 and shoot his fancy 9mm Sig Legion, well AR500 is a bit overkill. Admittedly theres a lot to be said for the point and click of online shopping.......

If you want a fair test of your skills, beat my prices on my *pistol rated* steel, which is 1/4" AR400. All rimfire, and service (non magnum) pistols.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you want a fair test of your skills, beat my prices on my *pistol rated* steel, which is 1/4" AR400. All rimfire, and service (non magnum) pistols.  
View Quote

Nested qouotes bad...

To point, I guess I dont know what your prices are? I assume you are a vendor? I feel like I might be missing something obvious here......
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nested qouotes bad...

To point, I guess I dont know what your prices are? I assume you are a vendor? I feel like I might be missing something obvious here......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nested qouotes bad...

Maybe follow one of the many links to moa targets and look around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nested qouotes bad...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nested qouotes bad...

www.moatargets.com

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.moatargets.com  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nested qouotes bad...

www.moatargets.com  

Pff, liar. Your a geologist, says so right in your name!

Yes, you have a damn attractive price on 1/4" AR500 plates, to the point I dont think a guy could beat it online (Most online shops dont sell "firearm sized" targets so you would need a custom size), but you pretty well had me at the NRA Hunter Pistol targets. Thats AWESOME!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!

And, I do both geology and targets. Geology pays the bills, targets gives me an excuse to write off my expenses when I do Cola Warrior.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#8]
MOA, just in case it hasn't been said yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can order AR500 steel from just about any small shop.
They can even cut it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you dont want anything special or fancy I'd go to the local welding shop.

Soft steel is a bad choice

You can order AR500 steel from just about any small shop.
They can even cut it for you.

A metal shop in San Diego (Kearny Mesa near SoCal Gun) has AR500 targets in stock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wait, you already did the move to WA? I saw your thread on moving from CA.

Whereabouts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soft steel is fine for most pistol. Not so much for rifle  

Whereabouts?

I sent you a PM here, I'm about an hour north of Seattle around the Mt Vernon / Burlington area.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sent you a PM here, I'm about an hour north of Seattle around the Mt Vernon / Burlington area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soft steel is fine for most pistol. Not so much for rifle  

Whereabouts?

Saw that, forgot to reply

Guess you really did want to get away from CA, you're about in Canada

I'm Southside, Vantucky.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
MGM targets.  I've bought a bunch and they have been great to deal with.  Good 3gun sponsor too
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like my peep tree from MOA.

http://i.imgur.com/fCF21QS.jpg
View Quote

I'm surprised that peep didn't get it's flesh ripped it's bones.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
http://hangfasttargets.com/

just got an email from them for their Labor Day sale 15% entire store using code:

BANGnCLANG

I ordered a few 12"x24" rectangles to hang with their T post set up.  I haven't used them yet so I can't provide a review.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MOA targets.
View Quote

FPNI.

The owner Mitch, he's very popular, Mr_Smiley. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads, they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude and he chugs!

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MGM Targets is another option.  Good people and big supporters of 3Gun and USPSA.  

Website
View Quote

This!!

MGM is owned by good people who throw a lot of support into the shooting sports
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple of the Atlas Target Works head plates with stake bases and they are awesome and ring really loud.

https://www.atlastargetworks.com/collections/target-assemblies/products/coming-soon-ar500-silhouette-w-stake-base?variant=10548617347
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Just bought more stuff from Hangfast, Shoot Steel and MOA.   First time ordering from both Hangfast and MOA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get a 6 foot length for 145. Which puts the price at 33 cents and is enough steel for a whole lot of pistol targets.

Alright, at this point I can't tell if you're trolling me or just stubborn.    

From my website, you can get 6" square 1/4" AR400 targets with one precut hole (square, normally, but ask for whatever you want) for $12/ea. That puts you at $0.333333/sq inch for laser cut targets of hardened steel that will hold up basically forever to service pistol use, and can be used without damage at 300 yards with 5.56.

A dozen of them, which is what you'd get out of your 6' stick from McMaster, is going to run you $144, weigh 2/3 of what the 3/8" mild weighs, and only involves you punching buttons on the computer to get delivered to your door. If you buy 15 of them from me, they even ship for free.

McMaster is great for when you need one of something, but really shouldn't be considered the gold standard of cheap online vendor.

You're comparing apples and banana hammocks.  

I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about.  I'm just saying that you're wrong.  Instead of shooting AR500 maybe the OP should just go pull a washing machine out of the dump and use that.  It's cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI Folks Shootsteel is having a 25% off sale.   Free shipping on orders over $200.    

CODE- 25off
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
LaRue
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
MGM
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top