Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In case your change your mind, or any of else looking through here. MOA is the only option. Great targets, great people, great prices, so so dick pics but hey they're only working with what God gave em.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For your purposes, you might look at the long range starter kits I have, and get an IPSC later. IPSCs are expensive to ship, the package deals are free shipping. Your code (shouldn't) work on the package deals though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, shit. You really did make a code That's fuckin awesome, thanks man

3/8 it is then.

I'll go pester my fellow WA teener to order too.

For your purposes, you might look at the long range starter kits I have, and get an IPSC later. IPSCs are expensive to ship, the package deals are free shipping. Your code (shouldn't) work on the package deals though.

Hmmm, you raise a good point.

I do like the idea of a having a silhouette to shoot, but the other is cheaper and I like cheap...

At least I have until tomorrow to decide.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

MOA is a member.
I think that's why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow this is a fickle website!  When I asked in Feb Shooting Targets 7 was the goto place.  Awesome targets and great service BTW!!!!!

MOA is a member.
I think that's why.

I'd never used MOA targets until April.  I've used several different types and they're all incredible high quality and equally frustrating)

Fuck you Texas Star.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I got this from Amazon $32 shipped 8" AR500 3/8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DXG62SW?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I got this from Amazon $32 shipped 8" AR500 3/8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DXG62SW?
View Quote

My first version of gongs had ears like that. I found they failed way too quickly. Also, round holes suck. Square and pill shaped let you use carriage bolts. Trying to get a wrench on a fucked hex head sucks. That target is $25 on my site, with $20 flat USPS shipping on orders under $175, free shipping over (assuming everything fits in flat rate packaging).

The hot ticket from me is the Starter Kit. 8" gong, a-frame brackets, hardware, $55, free shipping. Or the #teamemily package, which is the same thing for five bucks more and I donate $15 to #teamemily. Only 10 packages left for #teamemily

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it still to late to shill MOA TARGETS?!?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Start your own shill thread, this one's taken.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

JC Steel
View Quote
I got mine from them.  So far I have beat the piss out of them.  Their t-post mount is pretty neat but after seeing the 2x4 mount I'd like to compare for long term use.  Pulling a t-post from the ground is a PITA when you finally get it chewed up with frag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benderillstartmyown.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude!
You got your own coupon code!

Winning!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Be sure to ask for the adult toys too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Benderillstartmyown.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Benderillstartmyown.jpg
Headed out for sushi and hookers now. Whiskey and blackjack after. I love Nevada.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Soft steel is a bad choice
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you dont want anything special or fancy I'd go to the local welding shop.

Soft steel is fine for most pistol. Not so much for rifle

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you already did the move to WA? I saw your thread on moving from CA.

Whereabouts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whereabouts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whereabouts?

Page 3 and it's already a man love thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whereabouts?

Read sig.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Me casa es su casa.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I come barf at your range? It's cathartic.

ETA - you said to ask questions
Me casa es su casa.  

Careful, I might take you up on that. I'm only a few minutes away.

Did you ever find those flat rate boxes that fit 2/3 IPSC? It looks like your 2/3 are still not flat rate eligible on the site but the 63% are? They might be a slightly tight fit, but it works. I've shipped a  bunch using that special box size. I have a couple 10 packs of the boxes that you can have if you want to check before ordering.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I do like the idea of a having a silhouette to shoot, but the other is cheaper and I like cheap...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3/8 it is then.

Get 2/3 IPSC.  12x20approx.

Width matches up with acog/etc width marks approx
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Headed out for sushi and hookers now. Whiskey and blackjack after. I love Nevada.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benderillstartmyown.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3/8 it is then.

I foed on the full size.

#Yolo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

MOA targets.
View Quote
Bet your ass.  The only reason they don't stand behind their products is that would be really unsafe, people shoot at them things!

Seriously, though, MOA.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you dont want anything special or fancy that lasts I'd go to the local welding shop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Read sig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read sig.

#SoZef
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My first version of gongs had ears like that. I found they failed way too quickly. Also, round holes suck. Square and pill shaped let you use carriage bolts. Trying to get a wrench on a fucked hex head sucks. That target is $25 on my site, with $20 flat USPS shipping on orders under $175, free shipping over (assuming everything fits in flat rate packaging).
Fail all too quickly? How so?

The hot ticket from me is the Starter Kit. 8" gong, a-frame brackets, hardware, $55, free shipping. Or the #teamemily package, which is the same thing for five bucks more and I donate $15 to #teamemily. Only 10 packages left for #teamemily

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail all too quickly? How so?

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Man, you made me work way too hard to figure out the question. Burying it in a quote box is cheating.

Anyhow, ears like that tend to shear off under heavy use. Having them spaced up like that puts stress on them and they just break off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you dont want anything special or fancy that lasts I'd go to the local welding shop.

Mild steel is fine with most pistol rounds. If you want to feel good about yourself go ahead and use AR500 for 9mm.

Which means for non magnum pistol rounds you can spend $27 for a 8 inch 3/8 inch square plate. Alternatively you could go to McMaster and order mild steel 3/8 inch 6 inch wide and 1 foot long plate for 32. Cut it in half and you have 2 targets.

So its very near a 2 for 1. Given either is fine for standard pistol calibers.....Well, its your money. I'll stick with the local fab shop for pistol plates. As I said though, rifle will punch right through them. I can see the argument where a guy whos horribly disorganized might want everything rifle rated so he doesnt have to have 2 different types of steel and get confused what hes hanging.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Mild steel is fine with most pistol rounds. If you want to feel good about yourself go ahead and use AR500 for 9mm.    

Which means for non magnum pistol rounds you can spend $27 for a 8 inch 3/8 inch square plate. Alternatively you could go to McMaster and order mild steel 3/8 inch 6 inch wide and 1 foot long plate for 32. Cut it in half and you have 2 targets.

So its very near a 2 for 1. Given either is fine for standard pistol calibers.....Well, its your money. I'll stick with the local fab shop for pistol plates. As I said though, rifle will punch right through them. I can see the argument where a guy whos horribly disorganized might want everything rifle rated so he doesnt have to have 2 different types of steel and get confused what hes hanging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

8x8 = 64 sqr inches. At your listed price of $27, that's $0.42/sq inch

6x12 = 72 sqr inches. At your listed price of $32, that's $0.44/sq inch.

Do you REALLY want to have to cut the plate in half, drill your own holes, and have a plate that is mild instead of AR500 to PAY an extra $0.02/sq ft?  

I understand that math *IS* pretty fucking hard.

Just my $0.02  

/Note - those aren't the prices from my site, or any of them that I know, just what 2jokerswild postulated

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
8x8 = 64 sqr inches. At your listed price of $27, that's $0.42/sq inch   6x12 = 72 sqr inches. At your listed price of $32, that's $0.44/sq inch.

Do you REALLY want to have to cut the plate in half, drill your own holes, and have a plate that is mild instead of AR500 to PAY an extra $0.02/sq ft?  

Just my $0.02  

/Note - those aren't the prices from my site, or any of them that I know, just what 2jokerswild postulated

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

8x8 = 64 sqr inches. At your listed price of $27, that's $0.42/sq inch   6x12 = 72 sqr inches. At your listed price of $32, that's $0.44/sq inch.

Just my $0.02  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just my $0.02  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $0.02  

You can get a 6 foot length for 145. Which puts the price at 33 cents and is enough steel for a whole lot of pistol targets.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

MOA targets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Saw that.

Looks like a slick setup.

Isnt there someone that makes spikes that attach to the bottom of 2x4s that you can hammer into the ground?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you need just the targets?

Or the stand and the carrier also?

Both.

MOA uses a 2x4 post for the stand, and an inexpensive plate to hold the target.

https://www.moatargets.com/image/cache/data/tab2-500x500.jpg

You can just stick the 2x4 in a bucket of sand.

Or you can purchase an actual base.

Saw that.

Isnt there someone that makes spikes that attach to the bottom of 2x4s that you can hammer into the ground?

I've thought about making a stab base, but I haven't bothered due to lack of requests and the fact that it wouldn't work well in Nevada, where I build and test everything. Turns out is hard to drive things into solid rock and atomically fused sand.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've thought about making a stab base, but I haven't bothered due to lack of requests and the fact that it wouldn't work well in Nevada, where I build and test everything. Turns out is hard to drive things into solid rock and atomically fused sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you need just the targets?
Or the stand and the carrier also?

Both.

MOA uses a 2x4 post for the stand, and an inexpensive plate to hold the target.

https://www.moatargets.com/image/cache/data/tab2-500x500.jpg

You can just stick the 2x4 in a bucket of sand.
Or you can purchase an actual base.

Saw that.

Can't imagine it takes a geologist to figure that out
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You can get a 6 foot length for 145. Which puts the price at 33 cents and is enough steel for a whole lot of pistol targets.
View Quote
Alright, at this point I can't tell if you're trolling me or just stubborn.

From my website, you can get 6" square 1/4" AR400 targets with one precut hole (square, normally, but ask for whatever you want) for $12/ea. That puts you at $0.333333/sq inch for laser cut targets of hardened steel that will hold up basically forever to service pistol use, and can be used without damage at 300 yards with 5.56.

A dozen of them, which is what you'd get out of your 6' stick from McMaster, is going to run you $144, weigh 2/3 of what the 3/8" mild weighs, and only involves you punching buttons on the computer to get delivered to your door. If you buy 15 of them from me, they even ship for free.

McMaster is great for when you need one of something, but really shouldn't be considered the gold standard of cheap online vendor.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much is shipping for that 6' length of steel?

And then how much will the replacement blades, or specialty blades be for the cutting tools for that steel?

The drill bits?

The mounting hardware?

When, OTOH, there are plenty of options in this thread for getting harder targets that will take more than just pistol, for nearly equal (or better) prices.

I get the DIY approach, I really do (another money pit is costuming, and I don't buy premade things as a point unless I have to), but sometimes it's better to buy something available.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I (MOA) use a laser. Heat affected zone is about 1/32" wide on 3/8".    

Still at the range right now. Will chime in this afternoon with a 5% off code, good until tomorrow, because I'm getting ready to order a bunch of steel cut. Figure three weeks turn around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you can but unless you buy a full 4x8 sheet of it you will not be close to MOA's prices also if not cut properly you will lose the heat treat all around the edge

Look at the edges of the pic above.

Laser, plasma, or flame cut is going to lose a little of it's temper around the heat affected zone.

The only way around that is water jet.

Which I've never seen from a steel target manufacturer.

ETA: Besides, you are back peddling from your original statement.

I (MOA) use a laser. Heat affected zone is about 1/32" wide on 3/8".    

Still at the range right now. Will chime in this afternoon with a 5% off code, good until tomorrow, because I'm getting ready to order a bunch of steel cut. Figure three weeks turn around.

Big Dog Steel uses a water jet
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
MGM
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
MGM Targets is another option.  Good people and big supporters of 3Gun and USPSA.  

Website
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread is why MOA is the answer. NVG is good people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#41]
ShootSteel has a few items that are a lot of bang for the buck if you take the time to look over their products.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm just here to hump NVG's leg.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
MGM Targets is another option.  Good people and big supporters of 3Gun and USPSA.  

Website
View Quote

That may very well be, but can they CHUG?  I fucking doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Take a look at MGM Targets.  https://mgmtargets.com/  Sorry my crappy phone won't let me hotlink.
View Quote

I'd have no problem with an MOA. However, I do also need to put in a +1 for MGM.

MGM are just a short drive away, so I've shot a few of their targets in local Steel Challenge and USPSA matches. They even make little nickel & dime customers like me feel like our business matters to them. I have a few of their target stands, the barricade stand, and cardboard targets.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
MOA targets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'd have no problem with an MOA. However, I do also need to put in a +1 for MGM.

MGM are just a short drive away, so I've shot a few of their targets in local Steel Challenge and USPSA matches. They even make little nickel & dime customers like me feel like our business matters to them. I have a few of their target stands, the barricade stand, and cardboard targets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a look at MGM Targets.  https://mgmtargets.com/  Sorry my crappy phone won't let me hotlink.

SHUN! SHUNNNN THE UNBELIEVER!

Seriously though, MGM is who I've modeled my operation after. Quality products, not shy about giving credit where credit is due (I'm working on that, dammit), innovative, and involved in their local community.

If you told me two years ago MOA would be mentioned in the same thread as MGM, I wouldn't have believed you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Jcsteeltargets.com.   For the past five years I have run a practical/precision rifle discipline at a gun club.  We shoot mostly steel targets out to about 550 yards once per month.  Our discipline has bought thousands of dollars from them because we can't seem to beat their prices (oh, how we have tried), and their customer service is second to none.  So we continue buying targets amid mounting systems from them.

One thing I especially like is they use flat rate shipping as much as possible.  My local post office hates them because they can stuff 70 pounds of targets into one box, and only charge me minimal shipping.  Other suppliers try to rape us on shipping, but JC is tops!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My local post office hates them because they can stuff 70 pounds of targets into one box, and only charge me minimal shipping.
View Quote

My personal record is 69.4 lbs.

Actually had to go down and argue with the post office a couple months ago. Sent out two identical boxes at the 69~ mark to the same customer. Got a notification back on one that it was overweight and that I had to come pick it up. Went down, troll like postal employee brings it out and thunks it up on the counter. I tell her that before I take it back, I wanna see it weighed. Weighed in at just under 70 lbs. She didn't say a word, but I expected it to go missing. Surprisingly, it was delivered.

Cool story, eh bro?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Actually had to go down and argue with the post office a couple months ago. Sent out two identical boxes at the 69~ mark to the same customer. Got a notification back on one that it was overweight and that I had to come pick it up. Went down, troll like postal employee brings it out and thunks it up on the counter. I tell her that before I take it back, I wanna see it weighed. Weighed in at just under 70 lbs. She didn't say a word, but I expected it to go missing. Surprisingly, it was delivered.

Cool story, eh bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My local post office hates them because they can stuff 70 pounds of targets into one box, and only charge me minimal shipping.

Cool story, eh bro?

Mitch does put the USPS work.

Good targets at fair prices.

I put about 35 of them out at our range and the locals have put a single hole through one of the 100ydrs.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

From my website, you can get 6" square 1/4" AR400 targets with one precut hole (square, normally, but ask for whatever you want) for $12/ea. That puts you at $0.333333/sq inch for laser cut targets of hardened steel that will hold up basically forever to service pistol use, and can be used without damage at 300 yards with 5.56.

A dozen of them, which is what you'd get out of your 6' stick from McMaster, is going to run you $144, weigh 2/3 of what the 3/8" mild weighs, and only involves you punching buttons on the computer to get delivered to your door. If you buy 15 of them from me, they even ship for free.

McMaster is great for when you need one of something, but really shouldn't be considered the gold standard of cheap online vendor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for McMaster I find them to be a bit pricey myself. Which brings us full circle to my point before the crowd came along.

If you JUST want pistol targets mild steel is fine and you may very well find the best price at the local fabrication shop or welding shop. I wouldnt be at all surprised if if your local welding shop can give you comparable sized targets to MOA Targets (or any vendors AR500 plates) at 1/3 to 1/4 the price if you want mild steel.

In fact I'll put up a Pepsi challenge. Winner gets $100 bucks in steel. If I can find mild steel cheaper locally than MOA targets AR500 prices I win. If not....You win. As proof if I do find it locally I'll buy a plate of comparable size to what MOA targets offers and post the receipt.

I know for a fact the last time I bought my steel local mild steel prices blew the doors off the online high end stuff. Now maybe things have changed....In which case you get $100 bucks worth of steel targets dont you.

Dont get me wrong. If I want rifle rated plates I'd hit up one of the online vendors mentioned here. AR500 is in a whole different league than mild steel. I love the prices and selection of whats available for shooters online. But lets not lose sight of the fact that for non magnum pistols you do not need AR500. Mild steel will work just fine.

The OP was pretty vague in what he intended to do. If its rifle, AR500 without question. If he just wants to plink with his 22 and shoot his fancy 9mm Sig Legion, well AR500 is a bit overkill. Admittedly theres a lot to be said for the point and click of online shopping.......
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top