Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/28/2016 12:02:58 PM EDT
I have been to DC for work or when my daughter was cheerleading

We are going up mon-thurs

Well now that I am retired we are going to spend 4 days

There with no distractions.

We are planning on taking the old town trolley tour or something else

Seems like our last time there parking caused undue stress so we are avoiding it all together.

Last time we stayed in VA but we might actually stay in DC so I'm looking for some suggestions on a room.

Something around $100 a night. I would be fine with Alexandria VA

We also plan on going to the smithsonian museum and I guess that's a all day event.

We are gonna visit Arlington as well.

Any suggestions would be great, we were thinking about the duck boat tour as well.

Just need some ideas since we have time to plan and time to actually spend some time there.

Also what are the places to avoid?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Well now that I am retired we have time we are going to spend 4 days

Seems like our last time there parking caused undue stress so we are avoiding it all together.

Last time we stayed in VA but we might actually stay in DC so I'm looking for some suggestions on a room.
Something around $100 a night. I would be fine with VA Alexandria.

We also plan on going to the smithsonian museum and I guess that's a all day event.

Any suggestions would be great, we were thinking about the duck boat tour as well.

Just need some ideas since we have time to plan and time to actually spend some time there.

Thanks
View Quote

If you want to keep the cost low for the room look into staying at college park or greenbelt maryland. The hotels will be much cheaper and all of them have free shuttles to the metro. This isn't the dangerous side of the green line you always hear about. I lived right in that town for 6 years and the worst thing that ever happened were teenagers testing door handles on cars to see if they were locked.

ETA: the Smithsonian is several museums and if you like spending time in museums it will take two days to see all of them. The spy museum is fun, but not free. Make a trip up to Annapolis if you've never been. Its a great town, and the academy is beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]

The spy museum is a little overrated but there's not much in the DC tourist scene that's so horrible I would recommend avoiding it.

If you like watching planes takeoff/land try going out to Gravelly Point Park for a few hours.

Going to the top of the monument is really underwhelming, and the elevators have been failing a lot lately.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Holiday Inn in old Town has decent rates on Priceline.  Just booked in laws a room their.  S
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
National Firearms Museum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
... LOL, you couldn't see all of the Smithsonian if you had all year
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive out to Dulles and see the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum - 1/2 a day and if you time it right, you can see the National Firearms Museum at the NRA building off Rt 50.

DC Zoo is always a nice way to kill 1/2 a day.

Be prepared for $7 bottles of water.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The Smithsonian is actually a collection of many museums. Air and space tends to be one of the better ones. We like the American history one too, although it was smaller than we expected. The gardens are neat too and a good escape from the hustle and bustle. Never been to the national aquarium, but have heard its meh. If you can, set up a tour of the capital. I've been in there for work and it really is amazing inside. We also enjoyed Georgetown and Alexandria a lot.

We stayed at the Marriott (I think) two blocks from the White House for like 150 a night. That was a pretty good deal from travelocity, but you can find them. If you do stay in DC stay close to the White House/Mall so that you're in a decent part of town.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Ford's Theater to get the Lincoln vibe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My personal opinion is that it's silly to go to DC and stay in Alexandria, NYC and stay in Hoboken, San Fran and stay in Oakland, etc.

Spend the extra couple hundred and stay in the district, preferably at a hotel in proximity to a metro station.

Have you considered AirBnB?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you do if you plan on using the Metro check the closures.  right now they have whole sections of the metro shutdown for weeks to months for long overdue maintenance,  Don't book a room where you plan to use the metro only to get there and find out it is shutdown for 2 months.

Safetrack Program
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Crystal City, VA and take the metro (blue line) into DC - you can exit right into the lawn of the smithsonians. most of the smithsonians hours are 10am - 5pm this really cuts into seeing things.

on the national mall the restrooms over by the WW1 monument are not as crowded and and several stalls, the restrooms by the washington monument are more crowded.

the castle (smithsonian) has a piece of the hindenburg in it and some nice displays - it's also the visitor center but not that crowed and plenty of shitters.

Crystal city is a business district and you will feel very safe, easy walk to the metro or have your hotel shuttle you to the metro station (subway full of business employees - many women carrying dooney and bourke bags - so this is a high percentage of the people you ride with.

cabs are by the mile or hour - traffic sucks so by the hour comes into play real fast - on a weekend a cab ride from crystal city to union station is 20 bucks
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not $100 a night but about $230 but it's right on the metro and right across the street from the BATF. The metro station connects to the end of the hotel and is a 2 minute walk to get up to the platform. We could see the Capitol building out of our window and is one stop from Union station.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasus-courtyard-washington-dc-us-capitol/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2w.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drive out to Dulles and see the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum - 1/2 a day and if you time it right, you can see the National Firearms Museum at the NRA building off Rt 50.

View Quote

Definitely see the Air and Space museum at Dulles, I had to go out there for work recently, and have decided I definitely need to go out for pleasure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
We were down there 3 weeks ago. I highly recommend Mt Vernon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, I live in Olde Towne and usually when friends visit, I tell them to stay in Arlington. Tons of State Dept folks use this hotel:  HOTEL Link

You can walk to Metro; which gives you access to most of DC. You're in Arlington, so you're safe. Hotel is full of FED folks, so you have nothing to worry about. Plus you are a $5 Uber drive to Clarendon, which is FULL of restaurants for eats.

DONT Stay anywhere in MD; trust me I lived there.   Been living here in Alexandria for 15 years now. Stay in Arlington, Alexandria. The Hotel I gave you is close to DC and other sights.  Hell, you can WALK to The US Marines/IWO Jima Memorial !

Georgetown is walkable as well, its across the River but a good 15 minute walk or short cab/Uber ride.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
We stay at the Hotel Harrington when in DC.  It's an old hotel, but the central location is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Since recreational is legal there, watch out for hippies
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in DC most days and would also recommend just staying in the city somewhere around the White House or Capital. You can metro from there pretty much anywhere. I drive down Constitution ave daily and it's filled with folks hitting the museums.

Don't stay in college park or green belt for goodness sakes. What a dump.

You could stay in Tysons now that the metro runs there. I like the Founding Fathers restaurant and maybe check out a NATs game. It's a nice park. There are so many good places to eat. Old ebbet grill is fun and historic, but still good food.  Feel free to PM for more specifics.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hey, I live in Olde Towne and usually when friends visit, I tell them to stay in Arlington. Tons of State Dept folks use this hotel:  HOTEL Link

You can walk to Metro; which gives you access to most of DC. You're in Arlington, so you're safe. Hotel is full of FED folks, so you have nothing to worry about. Plus you are a $5 Uber drive to Clarendon, which is FULL of restaurants for eats.
View Quote

Recommend this.

Definatley recommend downlaoding Uber and Lyft, and use both for whatever is cheapest for you. Smart to avoid parking. Hotels.com is good but also might watnt to check out AirBnB just to see if there's something that strikes your fancy more. Old Towne is nice to visit on Friday or Saturday night and just walk down by the river.

The Spy Muesum itself is overrated IMV as well, but the tours might be worth your while. Definatley take in the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Smithsonian. You'll see Enola Gay, a SR-71, and a Space Shuttle in one day. I could spend forever there but my kids won't let me.

If you can, spend the time and money on going to either Mansassas, Gettysburg, or Antietam battlefields. For one, history. Two, its beautiful out there. There's plenty that happens on the weekends in Manasassas and the outskirts as well.

I would avoid southeast like always. Avoid Chinatown unless you're going to a museum, its pretty much a waste of time. The WWII Memorial should have its fountains on and is always good to visit and see the many Honor Flights that come in while they still can.

There's so many other museums there. My wife always loves the Natural History Smithsonian... because of the Hope Diamond. Food trucks galore but pick a good one and don't just settle for the haji truck seeling you a tired old fallfel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We stay at the Hotel Harrington when in DC.  It's an old hotel, but the central location is unbeatable.
View Quote

Excellent Hotel IMO. I stayed their for the inauguration in 2005.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We looked at the pics and it didnt look too impressive in comparison to others.

Am I missing something?? $128 a night and the rooms look like a run down hotel 6. I guess because of the location is what

makes it good?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
You could spend a week in the Smithsonian and not see everything.

If you catch the subway, go to King's Street Station in Alexandria.  Catch the free trolley down to the park (town square).  Go to Gadsby and have dinner there (but make reservations first).  Washington ate there.

If you have a car, go to Fairfax and see the NRA Firearms Museum.  Free parking there but bring GPS so you can get there.

If you're into the Civil War, visit Manassas/Bull Run.  You might also want to see Fort Stevens on 7th Street (Washington, DC) to see where the Confederates fired at Lincoln. They did hit the surgeon standing next to Abe.

Ford's Theatre.  Where Abe was shot. The house where he passed away is part of the NPS and is free too.

You might want to visit Mt. Vernon.  The DAR has done a wonderful job of preserving Washington's home and building a museum there.

National Archives.  See the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.  Spent a couple of weeks researching in there.

Library of Congress - see the reading room.  I spent over a week there (cumulative) and found a book on a long forgotten sniper sergeant in the Gordon Highlanders.

ETA:  If you go to the Lincoln Memorial, you can walk by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Korean War Memorial while e/r to the Washington Monument.  You'll be on the National Mall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#23]
we are thinking about using hotwire in the Reagan airport/national mall area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reagan Airport is Crystal City; which is fine, there are restaurants and such. But it has an "office" feel to it because its full of offices. Here's some more info about Crystal City: LINK.  But Crystal City is about 5 minutes from Olde Towne Alexandria; which is WAY more tourist friendly.

You can walk to Olde Towne from this hotel for $150  Sheraton / Olde Towne....This one is like $135 and still in a cool part of town LINK
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Awsome thanks

Now we just gotta figure out a place to stay.

Free

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?? $128 a night and the rooms look like a run down hotel 6. I guess because of the location is what
makes it good?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

makes it good?

Location is good, customer service was great at the time It is an older hotel but it has character and a decent eatery.

I was originally booked and checked in at the BW DC  the room had no hot water snow was coming in through gap in window. My room mate got us out of there while I was at breakfast meeting with my AG. The folks from Harrington were very helpful in getting my handicapped room mate settled in while I was away. They did good for me so I have loyalty and will refer them.

The other hotel I had to fight with to get my refund.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Awsome thanks

Free

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Awsome thanks

Free

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Big question is it reasonable for me, the wife and 2 kids to take the metro into DC from Alexandria/old town?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Also anyone know off the top of their head any rooms in DC that does gov rates?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Udvar-Hazy and the NRA NFM are both worth the visit.

ETA: Check on scheduled line closures for the the Metro.  They have been closing tracks all year due to their piss poor maintenance.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Big question is it reasonable for me, the wife and 2 kids to take the metro into DC from Alexandria/old town?
View Quote

Hella sure it's cheaper than parking in DC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well now that I am retired we are going to spend 4 days

Something around $100 a night. I would be fine with Alexandria VA

We are gonna visit Arlington as well.

Thanks

View Quote
If it's too hot hide out in Crystal City. Women love shopping.
Fort Belvoir? $60 night and in Alexandria http://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com/
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kimpton hotel Palomar does .gov rates
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is easy to do, but there will be a lot of walking involved.  The King Street station is reasonably close to a lot in Alexandria.  However, it would be about a 20 minute metro ride into DC from there (and about $3-5 each way, for each person--depending upon where you go and if it is during rush hour/peak times).

If you don't stay in DC itself, I also recommend Crystal City.  There are a large number of restaurants and it is only about 10 minutes by metro to the heart of DC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Metro having problems this summer BUT generally speaking yes it is. Only way out is park at Ft. McNair and use MWR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is, but look over this* carefully, and consider that even if your plans aren't directly affected they can be indirectly affected by increased congestion.  

It's a good plan, you can make it work.  

*as mentioned above

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a Holiday Inn about 2 blocks directly south of the main entrance to the Air and Space museum.  They also have a garage which will ease you parking stress, but it's $40/night for parking.  Nice hotel, Starbucks in lobby, nice rooftop pool and gym, etc.  It's a very nice and convenient location, but not sure about $100/night though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Reagan Airport is Crystal City; which is fine, there are restaurants and such. But it has an "office" feel to it because its full of offices. Here's some more info about Crystal City: LINK.  But Crystal City is about 5 minutes from Olde Towne Alexandria; which is WAY more tourist friendly.

You can walk to Olde Towne from this hotel for $150  Sheraton / Olde Towne....This one is like $135 and still in a cool part of town LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree BUT Alexandria is impacted. Heavy crowds, traffic and busy during rush hour on weekdays. I like the waterfront in Alexandria and also, theres a new spot on the MD side but that's out of the way for him. I have several less crowded suggestions but not for D.C. although I recommend the Vietnamese restaurants in the 1 block 'Chinatown' within D.C. Nobody has recommended Georgetown, so I will, women love it there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I went last year. Stayed in Tysons Corner at a hotel that was about 1 block from the metro, I think silver line. Far enough out that the hotel was $100 or less, I think it was in the high $80s, a Comfort Inn, and had free parking, but close enough that the metro ride didn't take too long
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

The National Aquarium. I was warned. I didn't listen. I was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#42]
You won't get a room near the White House/Mall/Monument area at $100 unless you get some kind of super special fly miles or something. But you can for under $200. I always spring for the little extra money. And you will walk a lot around the national mall, and going to the White House area,china town,and then a hotel, Spy museum, it's uphill from the mall. Take some good shoes and be prepared.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The spy museum is a little overrated but there's not much in the DC tourist scene that's so horrible I would recommend avoiding it.

If you like watching planes takeoff/land try going out to Gravelly Point Park for a few hours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravelly_Point

Going to the top of the monument is really underwhelming, and the elevators have been failing a lot lately.
View Quote

I take my toddler to Gravelly, he loves it.  Eh as an adult though after the first few it gets old.  Worth a quick stop because they're pretty low. I've heard on the radio they're shutting down the monument elevator for nine months.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much all of them.  I don't know of any that give retirees .gov rates though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Pretty much all of them.  I don't know of any that give retirees .gov rates though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

A place in New Orelans gave me gov rate for $86 was $129

Looks like we will just stay in Alexandria, we are finding enough cheaper rooms

To just pay the daily parking fee in DC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You won't get a room near the White House/Mall/Monument area at $100 unless you get some kind of super special fly miles or something. But you can for under $200. I always spring for the little extra money. And you will walk a lot around the national mall, and going to the White House area,china town,and then a hotel, Spy museum, it's uphill from the mall. Take some good shoes and be prepared.
View Quote
Makes sense but after the parking fees it's over $180-200

We can stay in Alexandria for under $100 and just drive into DC everyday.

Might have to deal with some traffic, but we have been there before.

This time we have no cheer comp to work around so time won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have trouble finding a parking spot.  I am telling you the metro closure has made the DC area driving holy hell.  A whole lot of workers in DC are now driving because of the closures.  Means way less parking spots and tons more traffic.  Check the closures map and if the metro is open take it, otherwise you may want to uber it or take a taxi.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You could have trouble finding a parking spot.  I am telling you the metro closure has made the DC area driving holy hell.  A whole lot of workers in DC are now driving because of the closures.  Means way less parking spots and tons more traffic.  Check the closures map and if the metro is open take it, otherwise you may want to uber it or take a taxi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DC taxis are a massive rip off.  Better to use Uber if you are going somewhere outside walking distance from Metro.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What everyone is saying about Metro's "Safe Track" is absolutely true. I got incredibly lucky when my internship with Judicial Watch ended literally the day before the Metro crap hit the fan. Traffic was absolute hell.

So glad to be down in SW Virginia now...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I am the most paranoid person on this forum so take that into account..

No way I would stay in DC or most of suburban Maryland.  I would find a hotel within walking distance to a metro in NOVA (or UBER in).  Take your pistol, keep it locked up in the hotel safe while you are away.  99.999 % sure that DC or MD will not explode into a riot, but it has happened before, so if it were me or a family member I would be sleeping in VA.  Another positive is that your money spent in Virginia would go to a slightly less socialist state.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top