Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
I've got a build that I have designated as my go to rifle for Trouble.  I've put a couple of hundred rounds thru and have it configured with a light, VPG an red dot.

Should I park it in my safe and pull out another AR for range fun?  Or would I loose proficiency/muscle memory on my SHTF/HD rifle?

Poll forthcoming, comments welcome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

I shoot mine all the time and have taken classes with it.  The only way to shake down what really works for you is to use it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IBTP

I shoot mine all the time and have taken classes with it.  The only way to shake down what really works for you is to use it.
View Quote

Kinda like that crusty old .22 you used as a kid everytime you ventured into the woodlands for adventure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Use it for at least a few thousand rounds to ensure things are working and broken in. Put it away if you must, but I'd urge you train with it or a clone of it to be proficient with it.

Jmho.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Put the SHTF Rifle intO your weekend/plinking rotation. Use it  man
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You mean you have 1 rifle to grab when shtf?

I'm probably going to die deciding which rifle would be more fun to use.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha right.

Nah op get proficient with all your guns..
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a build that I have designated as my go to rifle for Trouble.  I've put a couple of hundred rounds thru and have it configured with a light, VPG an red dot.

Should I park it in my safe and pull out another AR for range fun?  Or would I loose proficiency/muscle memory on my SHTF/HD rifle?

Poll forthcoming, comments welcome.
View Quote

Have 2 identical rifles. Use the first constantly. Confirm the 2nd works, clean it, and keep that one for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Got to make sure it works. And, 1 is none, 2 is one. Build another for your range toy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't get your question. Why can't you keep it in the safe and still use it to practice and SHTF?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#10]
In my personal experience: no

Use it enough and shit finds a way to break or fall off.

Pictures look great and all, but when its in action its a different story.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't get your question. Why can't you keep it in the safe and still use it to practice and SHTF?
View Quote

The idea is the rifle stays in the safe and I practice/play with a cheaper rifle.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

The part in red is what I'm thinking about.

cavedog's law: Murphy was a fucking optimist.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Use it for at least a few thousand rounds to ensure things are working and broken in. Put it away if you must, but I'd urge you train with it or a clone of it to be proficient with it.

Jmho.
View Quote

This is kinda what I do.... Burn a couple thousand rounds to make sure everything is good to go, and then shoot the snot out of a duplicate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]
2 is 1, and 1 is none.

Practice with one, store one, rotate them.  

This way you always have a good rifle and a spare.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The struggle is real

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jmho.
View Quote

I put a case through my bed gun and parked it. I built 3 identical rifles, 1 for bed, 1 for classes and a spare. Same components, spacing and controls on each.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I put a case through my bed gun and parked it. I built 3 identical rifles, 1 for bed, 1 for classes and a spare. Same components, spacing and controls on each.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jmho.

This is smart
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's Sig-line material there
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two identically-configured 'go-to' AR's. One is cleaned, lubed, prepped and ready to go at a moment's notice. The other serves for training for appx 1,000rds at which point it gets cleaned, lubed, prepped and replaces the 'on-deck' AR which then rotates to training for appx 1,000rds.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The mag well, bolt release, safety, charging handle, and trigger are in the same spot on all of my AR's. My proficiency doesn't change much between them.

Light location is always the same, when mounted. Flip up sights are all the same model when installed.

The biggest difference in my guns are SBR or not, paint scheme and optics selection.

They all get fired a lot, any one of them could be a SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IBTP

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Shoot it and clean it. It will be fine. It doesn't need to be a safe queen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine takes very regular trips to the range. It happens to be my wife's favorite ar to shoot, and the more she practices with it the better I feel about her being able to use it if needed.

Just replace wear parts as needed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you shake it down on the range regular so when that shit fails you can fix it before your life is on the line
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's why you shake it down on the range regular so when that shit fails you can fix it before your life is on the line
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. After taking my HD rifle to a carbine class I learned to locktite all screws the hard way.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#26]
No, but you should have plenty of spare parts in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is expensive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jmho.

This is expensive

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have two identically-configured 'go-to' AR's. One is cleaned, lubed, prepped and ready to go at a moment's notice. The other serves for training for appx 1,000rds at which point it gets cleaned, lubed, prepped and replaces the 'on-deck' AR which then rotates to training for appx 1,000rds.

Tomac
View Quote

Hmm.  (checks credit card balance).

I can do this......

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No, but you should have plenty of spare parts in the safe.
View Quote

Thats funny shit.  You know why?

What do you think happens to spare parts?

They turn into rifles.

Which is why I have generated this threads dilemma.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jmho.

This is expensive

FIFY

Not terrible. BCM had 16" uppers for $439 last year with free BCG. I sold off my old uppers to fund Aimpoints and watched the EE for stuff I wanted.  

I may have accidentally ended up with a 4th upper, that will be a spare for my spare whenever I can buy another Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Have one that's identical or pretty close to being identical.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Some of you guys must have more money than brains.

The rifle I grab for shtf will be the one whose performance and peculiarities I am most familiar with. I do make an effort to track round counts and proactively replace wear items on it though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Put the SHTF Rifle intO your weekend/plinking rotation. Use it  man
View Quote

+1 here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Treat it like the same way that the minutemen and pioneers of old did with their muskets.  Hang it over the fireplace and leave it there because 99% of the time you will have more important things to do...but in that 1% that trouble arises, well, you know what to do.  Just change "fireplace" with "Safe" and it's the same deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#35]
You should have 2 set up pretty much the same. The one you are gonna take and the 1 you shoot.  Splurg on the one you are gonna take, best trigger barrel, BCG, optic everything.  Cut corners on the one you shoot cheaper everything so long as they approximate each other.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top