Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ethiopa

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been in enough religion threads with you rodent to know that you are here to antagonize; not to have an honest debate. Have a great day.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course you know that God never created hell for us; it was originally created for Satan and the other fallen angels.

In fact, God originally created us perfectly to live forever; it was Satan who caused the fall of man. Looking to remedy this, God sent Christ to the world to save it, not to condemn it...for the world was already condemned.

And God sent his son to serve us and to save it; he sent Jesus as a perfect sacrifice.

In Matthew 23:12 Jesus said: "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that humble himself shall be exalted."  

What evidence do you have that any of that is true?
I've been in enough religion threads with you rodent to know that you are here to antagonize; not to have an honest debate. Have a great day.  

He has been banned for trolling religious threads....it's only a matter of time, he can't help himself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

God creates man with a brain

God calls men who use their brains 'swine'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pearls before swine, my brothers.

God creates man with a brain

God calls men who use their brains 'swine'

lol..the irony....
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Of course you know that God never created hell for us; it was originally created for Satan and the other fallen angels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Man.  It'll be SO AWESOME when you finally have a chance to say that to His face.  Amirite?

Just so you know--I'll be the guy off to the side, gratefully thanking God for His great mercy and loving-kindness, and meaning every word of it.

"Loving-kindness."

https://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/008-God-created-Hell-300x300.jpg
https://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Hey+atheists+if+god+doesn+t+exist+then+how+come+he+_a8dd5e2e0632df6c582da5b45eb520d8.jpg
https://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/049-God-Logic-300x299.jpg
https://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/God-Saves.jpg

True, but the point still stands: Your "loving" God will send humans to Hell if they offend him.

In fact, God originally created us perfectly to live forever; it was Satan who caused the fall of man.

a. Humans were not created "perfectly to live forever." They were clearly created mortal, and would have had to eat from the Tree of Life in order to have extended life span. Also, even if they had eaten said fruit and achieved indefinite longevity, as biological life forms they would still have been subject to accidental injury and death.

b. Satan could only do what God allowed -- or wanted -- him to do.

Looking to remedy this, God sent Christ to the world to save it, not to condemn it...for the world was already condemned.

And God sent his son to serve us and to save it; he sent Jesus as a perfect sacrifice.

Yup.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time I saw it ...

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Beat me to it (by 5 pages)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a weird church in Ethiopia that claims to have it.

Supposedly there is evidence to support their claim.

They could easily prove their claim. That they refuse to do so pretty much puts their credibility at zero.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have trouble reconciling that with the idea of an  omniscient, omnipotent God.  He didn't create it for us, but he knew before he created it that many of us would end up there.  He created us perfectly, but he knew before he did so that Satan would cause us to fall.  He allowed both to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fact, God originally created us perfectly to live forever; it was Satan who caused the fall of man. Looking to remedy this, God sent Christ to the world to save it, not to condemn it...for the world was already condemned.

I have trouble reconciling that with the idea of an  omniscient, omnipotent God.  He didn't create it for us, but he knew before he created it that many of us would end up there.  He created us perfectly, but he knew before he did so that Satan would cause us to fall.  He allowed both to happen.

Or made it happen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evidence? They don't do evidence.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to understand what evidence is before you can decide whether or not you have any.    Your own words in this thread demonstrate that you have no idea what constitutes evidence.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, to begin, Jeremiah 24. You have such a hatred for Christianity. You are really lowering yourself in this thread; not trying to be harsh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ironically, Jesus said He was this 'psychotic'.

Why is that ironic? Jesus exhibited psychotic behavior when he lost his temper and killed a tree because it had no fruit out of season.

There is so much ignorance in this statement...you should just stop. The fig tree represented ancient Israel. Jesus rebuked it for not receiving their Messiah.  

Yeah? Where in the Bible does it say that?

Well, to begin, Jeremiah 24. You have such a hatred for Christianity. You are really lowering yourself in this thread; not trying to be harsh.  

Jeremiah 24 tells of a completely different event. Care to try again? Where does the Bible say that the incident in Mark 11 is what you claim it is, rather than what Jesus actually did?

And I have no hatred for Christianity. I'm just puzzled and dismayed that otherwise intelligent people would accept such silliness as true.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jeremiah 24 tells of a completely different event. Care to try again? Where does the Bible say that the incident in Mark 11 is what you claim it is, rather than what Jesus actually did?

And I have no hatred for Christianity. I'm just puzzled and dismayed that otherwise intelligent people would accept such silliness as true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I find it unlikely you read Jeremiah 24 and that is giving you the benefit of the doubt.  

Jeremiah 24New International Version (NIV)

Two Baskets of Figs
24 After Jehoiachin[a] son of Jehoiakim king of Judah and the officials, the skilled workers and the artisans of Judah were carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, the Lord showed me two baskets of figs placed in front of the temple of the Lord. 2 One basket had very good figs, like those that ripen early; the other basket had very bad figs, so bad they could not be eaten.

3 Then the Lord asked me, “What do you see, Jeremiah?”

“Figs,” I answered. “The good ones are very good, but the bad ones are so bad they cannot be eaten.”

4 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 5 “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians.[b] 6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.

8 “‘But like the bad figs, which are so bad they cannot be eaten,’ says the Lord, ‘so will I deal with Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the survivors from Jerusalem, whether they remain in this land or live in Egypt. 9 I will make them abhorrent and an offense to all the kingdoms of the earth, a reproach and a byword, a curse[c] and an object of ridicule, wherever I banish them. 10 I will send the sword, famine and plague against them until they are destroyed from the land I gave to them and their ancestors.’”

Jeremiah 24

Pretty interesting that a few decades from the incident with the fig tree, the Roman army utterly destroyed the city of Jerusalem and tore down Harod's Temple.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have to understand what evidence is before you can decide whether or not you have any.    Your own words in this thread demonstrate that you have no idea what constitutes evidence.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's go with: "that which serves to either support or counter a theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical and interpreted in accordance with the scientific method".

Okay, lay it on us!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Let's go with: "that which serves to either support or counter a theory or hypothesis. Such evidence is expected to be empirical and interpreted in accordance with the scientific method".

Okay, lay it on us!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Okay, lay it on us!

I agree.  Please make sure Stanc reads and understands that.    Earlier he said this:

Quoted: Ancient writings describing events and things that can't be proven to have ever happened? No, I wouldn't call that evidence. Evidence can be examined and verified. Stories in the Bible cannot.

Testimonial evidence is evidence.    We are argue over the strength or validity or whatnot of that evidence but it is still evidence.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Oak Island
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How can you know perfect absolute holiness and goodness without evil? God gave us all free will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you know perfect absolute holiness and goodness without evil? God gave us all free will.

Would it have been better to never have created any of this? No earth? No angels? No fallen angels? No life? Nothingness?

Who needs Earth, or angels? All of the shit that has gone down would've been easily avoided if God had just created us as perfect, non-corporeal beings like he himself reputedly is. Would also have saved God a lot of work, not having to create a universe and all the stuff in it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Testimonial evidence is evidence.    We are argue over the strength or validity or whatnot of that evidence but it is still evidence.

View Quote

I have a dragon in my garage.

See how that works?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/57371261.jpg

http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/3916409.jpg

Who needs Earth, or angels? All of the shit that has gone down would've been easily avoided if God had just created us as perfect, non-corporeal beings like he himself reputedly is. Would also have saved God a lot of work, not having to create a universe and all the stuff in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it have been better to never have created any of this? No earth? No angels? No fallen angels? No life? Nothingness?

If only God was as smart as you, this creation of His might have really been something.....

(Seriously--are you actually that arrogant, presuming that YOU can clearly see flaws that God durr-hurr overlooked?)
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

See how that works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

See how what works?    If you say there is a dragon in your garage, that is a form of evidence with which we can examine your claim.    

That doesn't mean you have a dragon in your garage but then again you may have a dragon in your garage (a toy, a Komodo Dragon, artwork, etc).  

That fits within the definition you provided (Scientific evidence).

Quoted:

Okay, lay it on us!

This doesn't mean that which is said or observed is accurate or truthful but the mere fact the evidence is testimonial in nature does not mean it should be automatically dismissed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Ethiopia.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If only God was as smart as you, this creation of His might have really been something.....

(Seriously--are you actually that arrogant, presuming that YOU can clearly see flaws that God durr-hurr overlooked?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. The flaws are readily apparent to anyone who looks at them without religious blinders on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

See how what works?    If you say there is a dragon in your garage, that is a form of evidence with which we can examine your claim.    

That doesn't mean you have a dragon in your garage but then again you may have a dragon in your garage (a toy, a Komodo Dragon, artwork, etc).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

Okay, let's try this again.

I tell you, "I have a dragon in my garage."

You have no evidence that this is so. On the contrary, you have logic and reason and experience telling you that it is not likely.

Perhaps you will simply disregard my testimony, and it is safe to do so. As David Hume put it, always believe the "lesser miracle". But perhaps you will ask to see the dragon.

If I decline to show you the dragon, if I tell you to just have faith, then you still have no empirical evidence. And now it's even more safe to disregard my testimony.

If I open my garage door for you and there really IS a dragon in there, NOW you have evidence. NOW it's rational to believe my testimony.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

See how that works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

Except that (if we knew where you are) it'd be possible to check your garage to determine if there actually is a dragon.

What we have here are people who centuries ago wrote a book telling us that they heard about a guy who claimed to have had a dragon in his garage. It's impossible to verify such a story.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Meh. The flaws are readily apparent to anyone who looks at them without religious blinders on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that you begin from the wrong starting point, EVERY TIME.  lol.

It seems to me that talking about the existence of God with you guys--it's kinda like trying to talk to liberals about gun control.

You begin with flawed perceptions, a lack of personal experience and/or insight, add in some pridefulness and smug condescension--and there it is,  you've got some smug clueless know-it-all  ponce who thinks he/she can see it all so clearly, but who actually hasn't got the first clue.

If you want to know if God exists, ASK him, in His mercy, to save you from your own pridefulness, and to show you what you need to do to be the man he wants you to be in this world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Except that (if we knew where you are) it'd be possible to check your garage to determine if there actually is a dragon.

What we have here are people who centuries ago wrote a book telling us that they heard about a guy who claimed to have had a dragon in his garage. It's impossible to verify such a story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

I used that example because some here are telling us that the Ark of the Covenant is in a little church in Ethiopia. If this is true, those Ethiopian priests could make people like you and I believers, they could save us and billions more from an eternity of torture, just by opening their garage door.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I used that example because some here are telling us that the Ark of the Covenant is in a little church in Ethiopia. If this is true, those Ethiopian priests could make people like you and I believers, they could save us and billions more from an eternity of torture, just by opening their garage door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

Maybe they lost the opener?

It's a pain to reprogram one of those things if it's got all the little dip switches you have to match up.  Especially if it's really old and the replacement opener is really new.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
This may happen if you look at it:

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

Gotcha. Misunderstood what point you were addressing.

I fully agree. They would make a helluva lot of people believers, if they'd prove that they actually have the Ark.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Okay, let's try this again.

I tell you, "I have a dragon in my garage."

You have no evidence that this is so. On the contrary, you have logic and reason and experience telling you that it is not likely.

Perhaps you will simply disregard my testimony, and it is safe to do so. As David Hume put it, always believe the "lesser miracle". But perhaps you will ask to see the dragon.

If I decline to show you the dragon, if I tell you to just have faith, then you still have no empirical evidence. And now it's even more safe to disregard my testimony.

If I open my garage door for you and there really IS a dragon in there, NOW you have evidence. NOW it's rational to believe my testimony.
View Quote

Your word, written or spoken, is testimony.    That is a form of evidence.     That evidence may be strong.  It may be weak.  It may be accurate.  It may be inaccurate.  It may be true.  It may be false.     All the same; the existence of that testimony is, in and of itself, evidence.

If you wrote that you had a dragon in your garage and your neighbor came over and saw that dragon and he wrote that he saw the dragon and it was real and then 2,000 years lapsed between that point and the point where we found the stone tablets where we had your view and the view of your neighbors who saw the dragon, that would be evidence that someone saw a dragon.

Does it mean that was a dragon in the mythical sense (i.e. Game of Thrones)?   No.  But that doesn't mean the people didn't see anything and that doesn't mean there is no evidence of the event.

We then apply the methods we have at out disposal (our logic, deductive reasoning, experience, etc) and then work backwards the best we can to come up with an explanation.

Was the person lying?
Was the person using literary devices (metaphor, hyperbole, etc)?

Or maybe something incredible.  Maybe the person found the fossils of a dinosaur and, not knowing to call it that (because at the time it wasn't), they called it a dragon and painted its image on a vase.

The point of all of this:  written accounts of people who are long since dead should NOT be dismissed outright simply because we cannot, at this time, ascertain the validity of what they said with 100% accuracy.      Given the limitations we have, that would be devastating and frankly foolish.

This is especially important given the natural limitations we have (age, degradation, wars, etc) that make the preservation of physical evidence very, very difficult.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gotcha. Misunderstood what point you were addressing.

I fully agree. They would make a helluva lot of people believers, if they'd prove that they actually have the Ark.
View Quote

There are people who don't believe man walked on the moon and we have photographic and video evidence documenting  that fact.

All they would do by opening their doors is convince people they had a box in their possession.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This may happen if you look at it:

http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-07-2015/UgDxTJ.gif
View Quote

I'm willing to take the chance. I'll buy my own ticket to Ethiopia. I'll let someone video me for Youtube.

[Sir Galahad] "Look, it's my duty as a knight to sample as much peril as I can." [/Sir Galahad]  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they opened their doors and they had a very old box inside that looked like the one found in the Bible and they allowed people to examine the box and they found it to be really, really freaking old, would you believe?

As I said earlier:   we walked on the moon.   That is a fact.   It happened.  We have pictures, videos, moon rocks / samples, etc.  

There are still people who think that entire event was fake.    Seeing, often times, is not believing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
There is the Ethiopia church that claims to have it

or

Ron Wyatt found it in Jeruselam
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There is no basement in the alamo!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the basement of the Alamo.

There is no basement in the alamo!!!!!

That is want they want you to think.

So, which one of 'them' are you?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If they opened their doors and they had a very old box inside that looked like the one found in the Bible and they allowed people to examine the box and they found it to be really, really freaking old, would you believe?

As I said earlier:   we walked on the moon.   That is a fact.   It happened.  We have pictures, videos, moon rocks / samples, etc.  

There are still people who think that entire event was fake.    Seeing, often times, is not believing.
View Quote

It should be pretty easy for a team of legitimate scientists to authenticate. It's supposed to contain Moses' Ten Commandments and the rod of Aaron and some oil and manna. At least two of those would be easy to date. If priests cross a river with it, the river is supposed to dry up as soon as they step in it, and refill as soon as they step out. That'd be easy to test. If it's taken from its rightful place, everybody is supposed to be afflicted with hemorrhoids and mice and boils. Unpleasant, but again, easy to test. Last but not least, the Lord is supposed to smite anyone who touches it. It might cost us a couple volunteers - for whom I'd feel badly - but, yeah, that'd convince me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I personally believe that there have been so many things lost to history that it may have been destroyed in the numerous disasters of history. In the end the fact is that for Christians, it simply does not matter anymore since Jesus' sacrifice has created a new covenant.

This. And I might add, His resurrection, proof of His Father's acceptance of it.

https://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/christian-belief-vik-religion-1384474908-300x269.jpg

Cute meme to hide (actually trumpet before all of us) your ignorans of what the Bible says.

You are free to decide (which you have obviously done so), but being as you trumpet yourself as being so wise, don't you think you should at least actually read the book?

In numerous threads, you have made your disdain and derision for both the faith and the believers, at the same time, you have made it very apparent that you are entirely ignorant about what you are mocking.

You come across as a 2 year old making fun of Einstein's theory of special relativitity.

Congrats for outing yourself, I guess.

Nick

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

They could easily prove their claim. That they refuse to do so pretty much puts their credibility at zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they don't care what YOU think.

That has to gall you, that these poor, simple Ethiopians just don't think they have to prove anything to you.

Nick

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It should be pretty easy for a team of legitimate scientists to authenticate. It's supposed to contain Moses' Ten Commandments and the rod of Aaron and some oil and manna. At least two of those would be easy to date. If priests cross a river with it, the river is supposed to dry up as soon as they step in it, and refill as soon as they step out. That'd be easy to test. If it's taken from its rightful place, everybody is supposed to be afflicted with hemorrhoids and mice and boils. Unpleasant, but again, easy to test. Last but not least, the Lord is supposed to smite anyone who touches it. It might cost us a couple volunteers - for whom I'd feel badly - but, yeah, that'd convince me.
View Quote

Aside from the fact that I read the name Aaron as A - A ron (thank you Key & Peele), all of those magical powers that people mistakenly assign to the Ark, if you go by the text, were actually God working through the Ark.    

So I mean, it would just be a box today and none of that stuff should happen.

Kind of like people who walked into the Holy of Holies would be struck dead in Solomon's Temple (and I assume Harod's Temple)?    Yeah, people have probably unknowingly passed through that space and not died after Titus went all Hulk Smash on it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree.  Please make sure Stanc reads and understands that.    Earlier he said this:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, lay it on us!

Quoted: Ancient writings describing events and things that can't be proven to have ever happened? No, I wouldn't call that evidence. Evidence can be examined and verified. Stories in the Bible cannot.

Except that what we have here is not even testimonial evidence.

In the case of ancient texts, it is unsubstantiated, second hand reports of unsubstantiated claims which are impossible to verify.

In the case of the Ethiopian church, it is unsubstantiated claims which no one is allowed to verify.

Evidence can be examined and evaluated. Unverifiable claims cannot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#39]
While there was only one "Ark" other devices of its nature existed. Most seemed to be purposely destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Except that you begin from the wrong starting point, EVERY TIME.  lol.

It seems to me that talking about the existence of God with you guys--it's kinda like trying to talk to liberals about gun control.

You begin with flawed perceptions, a lack of personal experience and/or insight, add in some pridefulness and smug condescension--and there it is,  you've got some smug clueless know-it-all  ponce who thinks he/she can see it all so clearly, but who actually hasn't got the first clue.

If you want to know if God exists, ASK him, in His mercy, to save you from your own pridefulness, and to show you what you need to do to be the man he wants you to be in this world.
View Quote

But if God doesn't answer, that doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

You're projecting. Badly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Cute meme to hide (actually trumpet before all of us) your ignorans of what the Bible says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I personally believe that there have been so many things lost to history that it may have been destroyed in the numerous disasters of history. In the end the fact is that for Christians, it simply does not matter anymore since Jesus' sacrifice has created a new covenant.

This. And I might add, His resurrection, proof of His Father's acceptance of it.

https://redeeminggod.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/christian-belief-vik-religion-1384474908-300x269.jpg

Cute, yes. Accurate, too.

You are free to decide (which you have obviously done so), but being as you trumpet yourself as being so wise, don't you think you should at least actually read the book?

Reading it is what led to my opinions of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That has to gall you, that these poor, simple Ethiopians just don't think they have to prove anything to you.

Nick

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

And they haven't - it's WIN/WIN!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I'm sure they're totally ignorant of my existence.

Illogical statement.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty sure I just saw it this past spring

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Aside from the fact that I read the name Aaron as A - A ron (thank you Key & Peele), all of those magical powers that people mistakenly assign to the Ark, if you go by the text, were actually God working through the Ark.    

Kind of like people who walked into the Holy of Holies would be struck dead in Solomon's Temple (and I assume Harod's Temple)?    Yeah, people have probably unknowingly passed through that space and not died after Titus went all Hulk Smash on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the magic doesn't work any longer. I'm shocked - SHOCKED! What are we to make of this?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

In the case of ancient texts, it is unsubstantiated, second hand reports of unsubstantiated claims which are impossible to verify.

In the case of the Ethiopian church, it is unsubstantiated claims which no one is allowed to verify.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Testimonial Evidence
Testimonial Evidence is a person's testimony offered to prove the truth of the matter asserted. Especially, evidence elicited from a witness. This is also termed communicative evidence.

Testimonial Evidence
evidence given in writing or speech or in another way that expresses the person's thoughts
compare physical evidence in this entry

Testimonial Evidence
In the law, testimony is a form of evidence that is obtained from a witness who makes a solemn statement or declaration of fact. Testimony may be oral or written, and it is usually made by oath or affirmation under penalty of perjury.

Testimonial Evidence
Written or oral assertion offered as proof of truth in court. Includes hearsay and testimony.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So the magic doesn't work any longer. I'm shocked - SHOCKED!
View Quote

If you followed the Old Testament, the magic stopped working many thousands of years ago well before the box disappeared  

So not so shocking after all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a device. After a few centuries whatever powered it might have went dry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's a pain to reprogram one of those things if it's got all the little dip switches you have to match up.  Especially if it's really old and the replacement opener is really new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works?

They lost one of the openers and without both original openers its cost like $300 to get a new spare opener programmed. Who has that kind of money?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top