Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a SECOND TIME!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Alexander the Great?   Was he real?   What evidence do we have and can it be verified?   If so, how?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea whatsoever. (I also don't have any problem -- big or small -- with history.)

Alexander the Great?   Was he real?   What evidence do we have and can it be verified?   If so, how?

I'm currently in a city named after that guy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's in Ethiopia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I read in historic writings that zeus gave it to poseidon to watch while he bangs earthlings and creates half deity  kids.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The Clinton's stole it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably under the Temple Mount in a chamber...........if they decide to dig it out, the Palestinians will go insane

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Probably under the Temple Mount in a chamber...........if they decide to dig it out, the Palestinians will go insane

Quoted:
It's in Ethiopia.

Horizontal tunneling. I drink your milkshake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's a weird church in Ethiopia that claims to have it.

Supposedly there is evidence to support their claim.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are textual references describing the Ark.    Is that not evidence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
THERE IS NO EVIDENCE!

Textural references in an of themselves are weak evidence.

That said, I have no trouble at all believing that a box called the Ark of the Covenant Existed.

Ancient cultures of the time were making gold boxes all the time.

The way I see it there are two major possibilities with the ark:

1)
Lets assume the old testament stories about the Jews coming to "the
promised land" are based on fact (even if very exaggerated), then one
would assume that the ark that they had also was likely a real object (even if embellished).

or

2)
Lets assume the old testament stories about the Jews coming to "the
promised land" were fabricated as a means to unify local tribes (as some
historians hypothesize).  Seems to me that an ark would be an excellent
way for them to pretend to have an "artifact" that people could see as
"proof" that the stories were true.
Because of these, for me, I'd guess that the ark was, more likely than not, a real object.

The
claims about its powers? Far less believable. In fact, the ark's powers
seems exactly like something you'd tell superstitious people to keep
them from stealing your gold box. Because of this, my assumption is its powers were most likely mere legends.
Assuming it existed, where is it now? Probably gone forever, just like many other different antiquities.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It's probably right next to those golden plates with hieroglyphics that Mormon dude got from an angel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
They raise hell about that as well...........they raise hell about anything

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's in Ethiopia.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Some guys are really being dicks today
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Last place I saw it was on a broken crate in Area 51.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Today.....LOL
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have read about this as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Like the rest of Exodus it is almost certainly fiction.

That said, I do find it interesting how the god of the box has evolved in stories over time. But again, none of it happened. It's a story. It's like asking where the magic sword Excalibur might be found.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#17]

So its in Africa?
Not interested.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have three books. One author claims to have seen it in a cave in Mt. Nebo. In another the author claims to have seen it in a tunnel under the temple mount. The third book claims it is in Ethiopia.

Is it real? I believe it is.

Where is it? Beats me.
View Quote

If only we had devices to record images of real life objects.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE!

Of course not. It appears in a fictional story.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That said, I do find it interesting how the god of the box has evolved in stories over time. But again, none of it happened. It's a story. It's like asking where the magic sword Excalibur might be found.
View Quote
Even if Exodus was fiction made up to give legitimacy to the "nation of Israel", as some historians think, wouldn't it make sense that at some point you'd make a gold box so you can tell people "hey look, here is that thing from the story, this proves the stories are true".

That's why, for my money, I'd bet it actually existed even if it didn't exist until AFTER the story existed.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#21]
"The fool has said in his heart There is no God".

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"And anyone who says, 'You fool!'
will be in danger of the fire of hell."

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Even if Exodus was fiction made up to give legitimacy to the "nation of Israel", as some historians think, wouldn't it make sense that at some point you'd make a gold box so you can tell people "hey look, here is that thing from the story, this proves the stories are true".

That's why, for my money, I'd bet it actually existed even if it didn't exist until AFTER the story existed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly possible, though part of the story is that none but the chosen few could view it (or even get near it) without being incinerated. That sort of exclusive access is a common theme among religious con men. In any case, the Temple was not the house of God, the Temple protected the people from the awesome (and dementedly random) smiting power of the God who lived in the box.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Certainly possible, though part of the story is that none but the chosen few could view it (or even get near it) without being incinerated. That sort of exclusive access is a common theme among religious con men. In any case, the Temple was not the house of God, the Temple protected the people from the awesome (and dementedly random) smiting power of the God who lived in the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regardless if you're building a temple to house the ark, you'd be really stupid not to put in some sort of gold box in it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That quote demonstrates that even back then, back when people knew NOTHING, there were still plenty who knew bullshit when they heard it (and that they were willing to risk their lives to say so). More, it was clearly a common enough sentiment that the authors felt it necessary to address it -- however weakly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Regardless if you're building a temple to house the ark, you'd be really stupid not to put in some sort of gold box in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't disagree with that. Good point. It was probably manufactured somewhere around the time the exodus fantasy was crafted, and for the same reason.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is no basement in the alamo!!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the basement of the Alamo.

That you know of.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#28]
The ark wasn't what was important. It was what was inside. It was built to house the stone tablets that had the Ten Commandments on them. It also held Aaron's staff.  The Mosaic laws were put on the outside of the ark because they were not as important and were the laws that were done away with at the cross and when the new covenant was established.

I have no idea where the ark might be but the stone tablets should still be in good shape if ever found.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I personally believe that there have been so many things lost to history that it may have been destroyed in the numerous disasters of history. In the end the fact is that for Christians, it simply does not matter anymore since Jesus' sacrifice has created a new covenant.
View Quote

This. And I might add, His resurrection, proof of His Father's acceptance of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you saying that they are only like this today? Zedbras don't change their stripes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Last guy to see it...

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems odd that a proselytizing religion doesn't see fit to share this evidence.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If that's true, then why did they even claim that they have it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they really have it, it should be easy for them to prove.

If they, or anyone, has it I don't think it's something they need to prove.

I don't think it would be something they would want publicity about.

If that's true, then why did they even claim that they have it?

better send some IM's out..get the rest of your buddies here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#34]
The church in Axum may or may not hold the real Ark of the Covenant. The story has been told that in the early 1990s Israeli commandoes were given the Ark and it was taken back to Israel in secre where it is being kept. There is a strong movement in Israel to rebuild Solomon's Temple and that the leaders of Israel will do so when they see certain signs from heaven. The Muslims will really flip out if that happens and Armageddon will be here.
Or so a friend who is a Coptic Christian from Ethiopia claims. I played soccer with him and know him well. He is well educated and a very good person. He sincerely believes this to be true.
It might be.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.) It is too holy. We are not worth it to cast eyes on it.

2.) Physical evidence undermines faith. One needs must only believe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This. And I might add, His resurrection, proof of His Father's acceptance of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I personally believe that there have been so many things lost to history that it may have been destroyed in the numerous disasters of history. In the end the fact is that for Christians, it simply does not matter anymore since Jesus' sacrifice has created a new covenant.

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but why was Jesus's return from the dead more significant than the other numerous resurrections reported in this story?  We are told that this reincarnation proves his divinity, but if the Bible is to be believed returning from the grave was virtually routine in those days. Obviously I understand the human sacrifice aspect and scapegoat aspect in this fictional murder, but what significance is this particular resurrection when compared to all the others?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but why was Jesus's return from the dead more significant than the other numerous resurrections reported in this story?  We are told that this reincarnation proves his divinity, but if the Bible is to be believed returning from the grave was virtually routine in those days. Obviously I understand the human sacrifice aspect and scapegoat aspect in this fictional murder, but what significance is this particular resurrection when compared to all the others?
View Quote

Hoping this won't devolve, but...

Resurrection isn't the same as reincarnation. A resurrection involves the same physical body, while reincarnation doesn't. The difference in this case is WHO died and rose from the death and WHY. Others did rise from their tombs, but not by their own power; they were commanded to rise by God. Death is a consequence of sin. As you know, the  New Testament of the Bible professes (and I believe) that Jesus is God and He humiliated Himself to be born as a man so that He could be punished for all the sins of all mankind but His. He did not have sin because He kept the Law perfectly. Because He was without sin He was (and is) the only one capable of making this sacrifice. His resurrection serves as proof that His Father, who is a just God who punishes sin, accepted that sacrifice on our behalf. Jesus conquered death. The Bible then goes on to say that although Believers continue to sin, they are seen as perfect by God because of what Jesus did and as a result, have conquered sin and death as well. The Bible also tells Believers to strive to live following His Will. We often fail at that but we're told to repent and continue to strive.

Understand please that I tried to answer the question you asked. Debating this point really belongs in another thread. As it is, the nature of the original question leads to others and probably shouldn't have been posed in GD in the first place. If I go farther, I'm prosthelytizing and the rules say we're not supposed to do that at this site.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's in some gigantic warehouse.
View Quote
Warehouse 13.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A large chunk of what we know about the ancient world comes from manuscripts, texts, fragments, etc.  You know, the very documentation you don't believe constitutes evidence.    
Of the people I listed in my other post, as far as I know we have ZERO original manuscripts from those authors.  
We have copies of copies of copies of copies ... of copies of manuscripts (and sometimes not all that many) that sometimes arrive 100, 200, 800 years or longer after the person in question allegedly existed.     Sometimes those copies of the copies have glaring holes in them or entire sections that are missing (Livy's history of Rome is a great example).
Have you ever read the Iliad?   How do you know Homer actually wrote it?   How do you know Homer even existed?  
That's what I mean when I say you have a problem with history:  if you apply your logical test to the ancient world, we would be forced to conclude that we really don't know much of anything about it with any degree of certainty.
In other words, those aren't just "Bible stories" you have to treat with extreme skepticism but the known history of the ancient world itself.    
That many be not be a big problem to you, but I certainly think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no idea whatsoever. (I also don't have any problem -- big or small -- with history.)

A large chunk of what we know about the ancient world comes from manuscripts, texts, fragments, etc.  You know, the very documentation you don't believe constitutes evidence.    
Of the people I listed in my other post, as far as I know we have ZERO original manuscripts from those authors.  
We have copies of copies of copies of copies ... of copies of manuscripts (and sometimes not all that many) that sometimes arrive 100, 200, 800 years or longer after the person in question allegedly existed.     Sometimes those copies of the copies have glaring holes in them or entire sections that are missing (Livy's history of Rome is a great example).
Have you ever read the Iliad?   How do you know Homer actually wrote it?   How do you know Homer even existed?  
That's what I mean when I say you have a problem with history:  if you apply your logical test to the ancient world, we would be forced to conclude that we really don't know much of anything about it with any degree of certainty.
In other words, those aren't just "Bible stories" you have to treat with extreme skepticism but the known history of the ancient world itself.    

Why do you consider it such a big problem? Even if all of ancient history is not as recorded, what does it matter? We live in the present.

As for your other comments...

a. I don't know why you keep talking about "extreme skepticism," when I never took an extreme position. All I said is that it's possible the Ark was myth, a perfectly reasonable position, given the lack of evidence for its existence.

b. I view the Biblical tales with some skepticism, because: they were written long after the supposed events occurred, by people who did not witness them; there is no evidence that any of the supernatural events ever happened; and even Christians disagree on what parts are literal, and which are metaphor.

c. There is a big difference between testimony and evidence. Biblical texts are, at best, unverifiable testimony, and at worst, fabricated stories. They are not, however, evidence. Evidence can be examined and analyzed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I believe it still exist and is somewhere in the Middle East.  Anyone have any idea?
View Quote

The only way to know for sure is for an unbeliever to touch it and find out

1 CORINTHIANS 3:19

2 Samuel 6-8

6But when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out toward the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen nearly upset it. 7And the anger of the LORD burned against Uzzah, and God struck him down there for his irreverence; and he died there by the ark of God. 8David became angry because of the LORD'S outburst against Uzzah, and that place is called Perez-uzzah to this day.…
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#41]
[I'll take that as Christian bashing - removed]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it still exist and is somewhere in the Middle East.  Anyone have any idea?

Before it can be touched, it must first be found.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably melted down and turned into Arab jewelery a few thousand years ago.

Eta: For all we know it's been recycled a few dozen times, and bit's of it are in this guy's shop.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's recorded that Octavian broke his nose.  Too be fair, Alexander was mummified and couldn't fight back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Do your really believe the Christian texts and theology teach what is found in that little meme?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Warehouse 51. In Nevada.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why do you consider it such a big problem? Even if all of ancient history is not as recorded, what does it matter? We live in the present.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You really don't see the impact of calling into question what we know or what we think we know from history regarding politics, philosophy, science, literature, etc?  

Quoted:As for your other comments...

a. I don't know why you keep talking about "extreme skepticism," when I never took an extreme position. All I said is that it's possible the Ark was myth, a perfectly reasonable position, given the lack of evidence for its existence.

You also said the following:      
Quoted:Ancient writings describing events and things that can't be proven to have ever happened? No, I wouldn't call that evidence. Evidence can be examined and verified. Stories in the Bible cannot.

That position, taken to its logical conclusion is a position of extreme skepticism because large swaths of what we know about the past "can't be proven to have ever happened" without relying on "ancient writings describing events."  

Forget the Bible for a moment and just apply that standard to what we know about ancient civilizations.  

Quoted:b. I view the Biblical tales with some skepticism, because: they were written long after the supposed events occurred, by people who did not witness them; there is no evidence that any of the supernatural events ever happened; and even Christians disagree on what parts are literal, and which are metaphor.

Take the words "Biblical tales" and replace them with the history of Greece, for example, and you will see what I am talking about.   Much of what we know from ancient history comes from authors who wrote "long after the supposed events occurred, by people who did not witness them" more often than not with little physical evidence to support the claims.

Quoted:c. There is a big difference between testimony and evidence. Biblical texts are, at best, unverifiable testimony, and at worst, fabricated stories. They are not, however, evidence. Evidence can be examined and analyzed.

Testimonial evidence is a real thing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I vote for it being hidden within the Temple Mount, yet undiscovered. Wouldn't be surprised if the Dome of the Rock was over it, and the Muslims were unaware.
I believe that finding it, would cause the Jews to want to rebuild the Temple, and remove the Dome of the Rock to do so.
View Quote

If the Romans did not destroy it or it was not secreted away during one of the crusades, this above.

And this is when the War will start.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the basement of the Alamo.

Macklin, you son of a bitch...
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm currently in a city named after that guy.
View Quote

Athens Greece was so named because of the goddess Athena.   Was she real?

Note I am not really disputing the existence of Alexander the Great or his exploits but merely pointing out that a large volume of what we know and understand from history comes from the writings of men and women who did not live during the time or witness the events they described in their writings.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top