BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SKS wins by a mile. It can actually hit what you aim at.  Every AK platform based weapon I owned was crap  That is why they are all gone.  One could not hit a pie plate at 50 yards.  One had a receiver failure after 80 rounds and one was essentially a single shot weapon.  A real jam-o-matic.  It would not feed ammunition and only one magazine would fit into it.

The SKS without the idiotic 30round mag conversion is a great brush gun.  Nothing to snag.   Much more accurate too.  Easier to aim because of better ergonomics.  It manages recoil better and you can get it back on target quicker.  Fine little carbine with the punch of a 30-30.   I also have one of the so called "paratrooper" models.  Fun little carbine.  It was beat to heck when I got it.  I cleaned it up and installed a new trigger assembly and it works fine now.
View Quote

What type of shitty AK did you own?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This happened when I lived in Wisconsin. I remember he used an SKS.

Chai Vang
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just the usual Arfcom requirements.  Blasting zombies, defending innocent maidens, killing feral grizzly bears, open carry thru shopping malls.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are you using the rifle?

Just the usual Arfcom requirements.  Blasting zombies, defending innocent maidens, killing feral grizzly bears, open carry thru shopping malls.  

In that case, AKs are better.  With a folding stock, they're smaller.  They were originally designed to use detachable mags and drums, unlike the SKS, and are faster to reload.  And finally, no version of the SKS will ever be this cool:

Holy crap, that's an airsoftee AKS-74U!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
SKS can occasionally discharge when letting the bolt forward.  I have seen it happen.  Safety was on and trigger finger was well outside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I only shot a yugo sks and thought it was a huge pos. I had wanted one until I shot that one.  Could not hit anything with it, could be me but did not have that trouble with the other rifles I was shooting that day.

Now unless it was $200 or less I would not consider one myself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SKS can occasionally discharge when letting the bolt forward.  I have seen it happen.  Safety was on and trigger finger was well outside the trigger guard.
View Quote

Only if you forgot to put the spring back in...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#8]
had both and sold both....built an ar in 762x39 and love it
sks's are great
ak's are great
556 ar's are great
but that 762x39 round in an ar platform...awesome!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hold an AK...

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I vastly prefer the SKS. The only thing the AK has on it is capacity and optics mounting options. I've had both, and sold the AKs.
The SKS feels like a much higher quality piece of engineering. I know all the tactical operators don't care about that stuff, but I'm just a civilian, and a good feeling, good looking, quality gun are important to me.
These only cost me $350 each this year

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I only shot a yugo sks and thought it was a huge pos. I had wanted one until I shot that one.  Could not hit anything with it, could be me but did not have that trouble with the other rifles I was shooting that day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yugos are the worst. No chrome-lined barrel and the grenade launcher attachment effed everything up.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can also happen with a stuck or incorrectly-installed firing pin. Either disassemble the bolt to ensure the pin is floating freely, or replace it with an upgraded firing pin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yugos are the worst. No chrome-lined barrel and the grenade launcher attachment effed everything up.

Can also happen with a stuck or incorrectly-installed firing pin. Either disassemble the bolt to ensure the pin is floating freely, or replace it with an upgraded firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yugos are fine. Great quality, but definitely a little more hefty with the grenade launching stuff. Soaks up recoil really well.
My Garand doesn't have a chrome lined barrel either
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Absence of a chromed barrel on a Yugo never bothered me. The useless grenade launcher and gas switch? Screw all that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an NHM91, MAK90, and SKS-M.  The only annoying part about the SKS-M is having to pull back the bolt to remove the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally, just from a shooting standpoint I like the SKS better.

I suppose the AK would be the better combat rifle but I will never see combat, and even if forced into it, I am not digging that far back into the safe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I like the SKS with original stock if it's a D model just "looks nicer". But the AK is probably the better weapon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Get an AK.  The 10 round stripper fed mag on the SKS gets old fast.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Never really wanted an SKS, even when they were $79.  I'll take an AK.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are left handed, get an AK.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#22]
AK all day.

I still kinda want a sks. Just not enough to pay $400.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I do miss the days of the $59 SKS!
View Quote

In 20 years, we'll be saying "I miss the days of the $350 SKS!".

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]

I have a ton of each but I do like an SKS

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]

I love ALL the Russian trashcan guns! So get both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
You can tell people are feeling nostalgic these days.

It was antiquated 30 years ago the first time they were popular.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I bet SKS with stripper clips will shoot more rounds and reload faster then a AK with limited number of mags.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The commies made some reliable rifles.  

Looks like there are some advantages to the SKS:
- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an AK.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  
- Is anyone is still making SKS's nowadays?  They seem more collectable.  
- The old SKS-M's use 30 round AK mags.    
View Quote

Your first point is an advantage to the AK, not the SKS.
There's an AK build floating around the internet where a guy hammered a shovel into a receiver. Simple operation and parts are always better.

The right answer is get both, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SKS wins by a mile. It can actually hit what you aim at.  Every AK platform based weapon I owned was crap  That is why they are all gone.  One could not hit a pie plate at 50 yards.  One had a receiver failure after 80 rounds and one was essentially a single shot weapon.  A real jam-o-matic.  It would not feed ammunition and only one magazine would fit into it.

The SKS without the idiotic 30round mag conversion is a great brush gun.  Nothing to snag.   Much more accurate too.  Easier to aim because of better ergonomics.  It manages recoil better and you can get it back on target quicker.  Fine little carbine with the punch of a 30-30.   I also have one of the so called "paratrooper" models.  Fun little carbine.  It was beat to heck when I got it.  I cleaned it up and installed a new trigger assembly and it works fine now.

The first one was a SAR-1.  It could not hit the side of a barn from the inside.  

The second one was a Bulgarian SSR-85-C2.  As luck would have it I was able to pick a 20 round mag out of a bin to go with it.  As it turned out it was the only AK mag that I ever found that actually fit into it.  And then it would only fire two rounds max before jamming.  It was new when I got it.  Reasonably accurate for what it was. But I wasn't looking for a single shot carbine at the time.  

The third was a PSL.  After 80 round it suffered a fatal failure in the receiver.   On top of that there are supposed to be 4 custom fitted magazines for each rifle.  The serial number of the rifle that they were made When the arrived int he US dealers decided to split them up and sell them separately.  And I was using light ball ammunition in it as recommended.  This one hurt the most as it was very accurate and fun to shoot.  I really like the PSL.  Plus with the scope mounted it has a certain cool factor.  

All gone or returned now.  So in my experience the AK platform has been a total failure.  I have always been able to beat the odds in this way.  I know plenty of people have and love them but this has not been my experience.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are you using the rifle?

After 4 SKS - Chinese, Albanian, Russian, Romanian since prices are an issue, I would advise an Npap. The historical aspect of the SKS is cool but performance is limited.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My Yugo SKS was a decent $110 investment. It is what it is, a $110 battle rifle.
View Quote

Same here at $285.
Added a 1" fugly recoil pad as I needed the added length.
Might add better sights
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]
SKS was my first centerfire rifle, got it in the early 90s, they had crates of them at a gun show, Chinese for $69 and Russians for $79 or something of the sort. I splurged for the $79. Put the folding stock on it with shitty detachable mags worked great, put a few thousand rounds through it and sold it a couple years later after I built an AR.

I guess I would take the SKS due to familiarity having never owned an AK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I bet SKS with stripper clips will shoot more rounds and reload faster then a AK with limited number of mags.
View Quote

I bet a prius will out pull a semi, if you remove the wheels from the semi
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How so?  Were you being sarcastic?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#35]
They're both inferior to an AR as well as a lot of less popular firearms, but the AK is slightly less inferior. I sold all my AK's and SKS's years ago and haven't missed them one bit.  Might pick up another AK one day, but have no interest in the SKS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#36]
At $3-400, you can build a PSA AR for not much more if you watch for specials.
If you just gotta have 7.62x39, IDK, I've got both. My Para is the tits bone stock if you practice with stripper clips. AK is more user friendly. SKS seems to be slightly more accurate.
My Para stays under the back seat of my truck as part of my GHB set up.

Still rather have an AR in 7.62x39, 300 Blackout, etc. It will run you more but you don't have to buy a deficated trash can.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I owned a Russian SKS and a Yugoslavian SKS. I liked them both very much. Like a tard, I had the Russian bayonet sharpened. I regret that. I also regret not cleaning it soon enough after shooting corrosive ammo through it. I would love to own another one someday for nostalgia's sake, but for $400 I would rather buy parts on the cheap to build another AR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet if you had 120 round to shoot. The AK with only two 30 round mags with loose ammo or stripper and a SKS with 120 rounds on stripper clips, the SKS wins.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

There's an AK build floating around the internet where a guy hammered a shovel into a receiver. Simple operation and parts are always better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The commies made some reliable rifles.  

Looks like there are some advantages to the SKS:

- The SKS has more machined/cast/forged parts than an AK.  AKs could literally be made from trashcan sheetmetal.  

- Is anyone is still making SKS's nowadays?  They seem more collectable.  

- The old SKS-M's use 30 round AK mags.    

LOL.  I'd never heard that one.  But here is it.  

http://thechive.com/2012/12/06/apparently-you-can-make-an-ak-47-out-of-just-about-anything-25-photos/

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top