Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2016 10:54:49 AM EDT
Van was totaled.  76,000 miles on it runs great.  Metlife paid us $7K and we retained the van.  Metlife says we can only carry liability now.  Can I go with a different insurance co and put full coverage on it again?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not?

Is it listed as a salvage on the title?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
They're going to bond the title. Sorry Charlie, your little insurance fraud scheme dun been dun befo'.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The new insurer is going to see that it has a salvage title. You might find someone to let you carry full coverage on it but they are going to only gove you a few hundred bucks if somethig happens to it again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
It's currently titled in ND which if I keep it there it will be branded.  If I title it in CO where we live, since the vehicle is older than three years and it was a hail claim then no branded title.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's currently titled in ND which if I keep it there it will be branded.  If I title it in CO where we live, since the vehicle is older than three years and it was a hail claim then no branded title.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like an attempt to defraud the insurance company.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Last August I totaled my Jeep Liberty and bought it back from the insurance company with an intact title.  I had the damage fixed and still carry full coverage on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#8]
You've already been paid for the van.  You want collision insurance to pay for it a second time?

It isn't going to work.  

And you should have just let them take it as salvage and gotten a replacement vehicle.  90% of the population is going to "misplace" that $7k by the time they realize they need a new vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If you fix a totaled vehicle there's companies that will insure it but if you don't you're not getting paid for the same vehicle twice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last August I totaled my Jeep Liberty and bought it back from the insurance company with an intact title.  I had the damage fixed and still carry full coverage on it.
View Quote

The difference in what you did and what the OP wants to do makes all the difference.  It sounds like the OP is not going to have the damage repaired but yet wants full insurance coverage on it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Bet I can guess what town, and neighborhood.

We got lucky, didn't even get rain from that storm, but so many friends took a beating.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Pics of golf ball van not loading
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pics of golf ball van not loading
View Quote

You called it man.  My wife wants a personalized plate with that on it.  It's a white van with dimples all over it.!

The reason I want full coverage is that I would like rental and glass coverage.  Unfortunately, it's not worth it now.  Of course I wouldn't expect another large payment in the event that it was totaled again and I'm not attempting to defraud anyone.  

The other shitty thing is that rates in CO just went up considerably.  My premium for two vehicles in full coverage was $1,044.  Now the premium for one full coverage and one liability only is $936.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I  bought back a truck that got paid out on with a clear non salvage title and fixed it...still have full coverage...shrug
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top