Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:28 AM EDT
I'm at work yesterday in my office and the receptionist passes a call to me.  It's the NRA with a message from Wayne for me.  Well, a firm paid by them.  I'm a life member already.  I ask how he got my office number and he says NRA gave it to him. I login and my contact info is my home number.  I call member services and ask how they have my office number and they got nothing.  They finally pass me to headquarters and they blacklist my work number which they are not supposed to have with the explanation their marketing team has gone out and data mined their membership list for alternative numbers.

I go out of my office and the whole workplace is "why is NRA calling you?"  

Fortunately, I work in a closely held business and I am in an executive position. The owner has me help him buy his first pistol last year.  However, none of the employees knew any of our personal business and I'm sure have no idea what is in my briefcase with full support of owner. I bet they have a good guess now.

I can't believe our own allied organization is this irresponsible. The consequences for some could be disastrous.

UPDATE:  Modern-Musket contacted me and he really went to work on this issue and has dug deeper and deeper until he could find and solve the problem with their membership committee and 3rd party marketing firms.  We have spoken a couple of times on the phone through this process and he is truly a Brother to all of us!  It's nice to see that organizations can change through the efforts of dedicated and sincere people like him.  Issue resolved!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Why is the receptionist telling the "whole workplace" what calls you are receiving?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is the receptionist telling the "whole workplace" what calls you are receiving?
View Quote

They have an open floor plan and can hear her pass the calls.  We have a busy place with 3-4 people in the pit at any one time.
Private business such as the legal, insurance, etc who know us call our direct lines.  We do not allow personal or non work related calls and we have enforced this policy.  So, it looks hypocritical too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully the phone call was important enough to warrant that action.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was a fundraising call.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
So you got a  cold call at work. Big whoop.  Cheer up, next time the receptionist might get one for sex toys.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So you got a  cold call at work. Big whoop.  Cheer up, next time the receptionist might get one for sex toys.
View Quote

It was not a cold call.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Sucks you treat a call from the NRA the same way someone would treat a call from NAMBLA.  Your support for the Second Amendment is nothing to be ashamed of and shouldn't be kept hidden.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure in their mind it was probably one of the most important calls to make. Unfortunately this is what you signed up for.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are intrusive as hell.  They have a don't solicit list that I am finally on.  It came to a head with the 10PM est calls and when I called to change my address the guy literally wouldn't let me just change my address until he got his begging out of the way.  Even when we got down to business he kept asking.  I finally told him if he asks again, I'd donate to hillary.  I support their efforts but it's ridiculous the boundaries they push.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sure in their mind it was probably one of the most important calls to make. Unfortunately this is what you signed up for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I signed up to be contacted at the number provided.  Why are they data-mining their own members and sharing that with outside organizations?  Many people cannot disclose such an affiliation at work and it will discourage membership if they are known to be indiscreet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I know how they got my parent's phone number.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
That is annoying. Only thing you can do now: wall-hang a .30-.30 lever action above your desk.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sucks you treat a call from the NRA the same way someone would treat a call from NAMBLA.  Your support for the Second Amendment is nothing to be ashamed of and shouldn't be kept hidden.
View Quote

In some areas and businesses it is.   They should not be calling people at work.  It will get people fired.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall ever signing up to allow the NRA (or anyone) to data mine for numbers I did not give them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sucks that you support the 2nd amendment but not the complete bill of rights which addresses what, how, when, and to whom, I disclose my political associations being my decision. Freedom of expression, freedom to assemble/associate, freedom not just guns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm at work yesterday in my office and the receptionist passes a call to me.  It's the NRA with a message from Wayne for me.  Well, a firm paid by them.  I'm a life member already.  I ask how he got my office number and he says NRA gave it to him. I login and my contact info is my home number.  I call member services and ask how they have my office number and they got nothing.  They finally pass me to headquarters and they blacklist my work number which they are not supposed to have with the explanation their marketing team has gone out and data mined their membership list for alternative numbers.

Fortunately, I work in a closely held business and I am in an executive position. The owner has me help him buy his first pistol last year.  However, none of the employees knew any of our personal business and I'm sure have no idea what is in my briefcase with full support of owner. I bet they have a good guess now.

I can't believe our own allied organization is this irresponsible. The consequences for some could be disastrous.
View Quote

Another reason why I'm glad I live in a red state.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#17]
One question I'd have would be did the NRA actually track down the caller and call, or are they assuming it was a data mined number etc.

Seems like an easy way to scam people... If you had a list of people who had bought something from a company that got hacked for instance. If you're on LinkedIn I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to find an office number for you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
This is why I am not a member of the NRA, I support the second ammendement but they have turned the pro 2a movement into a marketing machine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are intrusive as hell.  They have a don't solicit list that I am finally on.  It came to a head with the 10PM est calls and when I called to change my address the guy literally wouldn't let me just change my address until he got his begging out of the way.  Even when we got down to business he kept asking.  I finally told him if he asks again, I'd donate to hillary.  I support their efforts but it's ridiculous the boundaries they push.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of the Millennial/NRA thread, I contacted two old friends who have become really into guns over the last two years (as seen on social media) and asked if they were NRA members.

Both were initially, but aren't anymore.

- one stated that they just got them to stop calling and his wife would kill him if the phone calls started up again.
- the other was worried about a similar situation to the OP. He does a ton of contract work (white color/creative) with very liberal businesses and stated "it would be like having the Nazi party spam me with telemarketing at the wrong place or time".

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#20]
They gotta fund that ceramic eagle factory in China somehow. Perfect example of why we need to vote in Nolo and Supermoose and kick out the morons like Wayne and Nugent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Dude said be was a life member.

Dude also said company has strict policies on non work stuff.

He also said he is a part of the executive team there.

What the fuck is so hard for you to process. You sound like the kind of guy who farts loudly in church, then says "aaaahhhh", just cuz you can.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, they got my office #. It's my office, so that's not a big deal, but very aggravating, finally quit just hanging up and told

"some guy" it was my business # and it was intruding on my work. He apologized, said they'd delete it.

Never got another call at that #.

Now if I could just get rid of "Sarah" from Google.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm currently a member, but I wasn't for a while due to their sleazy marketing tactics.  No other organization I have dealt with is as bad as they are.  Fortunately, they'll stop everything except an occasional letter if you tell them to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is why I am not a member of the NRA, I support the second ammendement but they have turned the pro 2a movement into a marketing machine.
View Quote

Yup. Fuck the NRA. They don't support the types of weapons I enjoy and have a long track record of being more then happy to throw us under the bus when push comes to shove. Fuckem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I signed up to be contacted at the number provided.  Why are they data-mining their own members and sharing that with outside organizations?  Many people cannot disclose such an affiliation at work and it will discourage membership if they are known to be indiscreet.
View Quote

How do they know where you work?  Did you provide that information to the NRA?  The issue I would be more concerned with is how can a marketing company with just your basic information track down where you work?  Do you have a linked in profile with information on it?  Facebook?  Some how you have provided a way for a business to follow you from home to work.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh you are one of those.  Fuck the most effective gun rights organization because they send me spam people.  Don't worry, rest of us will carry the water for your lazy ass.

You know how much marketing mail, email, and phone calls I get from the NRA?  ZERO.  It takes sending them an email to be put on the restricted communication list.  Something apparently too difficult for you to accomplish.  

Fucking 13er.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What the fuck is so hard for you to process. You sound like the kind of guy who farts loudly in church, then says "aaaahhhh", just cuz you can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're Fired.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

One question I'd have would be did the NRA actually track down the caller and call, or are they assuming it was a data mined number etc.

View Quote

The NRA didn't do that as they don't run their own telephone fundraising center.  Like most companies the bid that type of work out to 3rd parties.  I'm sure the 3rd party company is paid based on the revenue they bring in and they are using the underhanded tactics to track people down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Doh, weird double tap wrong button post.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd be better off getting a call from NAMBLA in parts of NY, MD, CA, NJ, OR, HI, and even a couple parts of MI.

I agree, but some people live in antigun regions and work for antigun employers. NRA should be smarter than that, especially with a lifetime member.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

His support won't mean shit if he gets fired.

I get the the idealistic argument... but reality doesn't give a shit about your ideals. If they're calling people at work and outing them in such a manner that's fucked up and needs to stop. If for no other reason than it's nobody else's fucking business what OP does in his spare time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#33]

styles - have you sent an IM to the NRA board members that we have on this site?  I know we have at least 2 right now and 2 more in the works.  Let them know what happened and the problem it could have caused.

Modern-Musket

http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=338804

SCDonttreadonme

http://www.ar15.com/member/member.html?id=176077
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm trying to figure out why they have or you gave them your work info to begin with?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do they know where you work?  Did you provide that information to the NRA?  The issue I would be more concerned with is how can a marketing company with just your basic information track down where you work?  Do you have a linked in profile with information on it?  Facebook?  Some how you have provided a way for a business to follow you from home to work.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADP or someone probably reports it to a third party. I doubt they are calling based on LinkedIn data and not something that is easily aggregated automatically.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
No shit.

If some other worker gets a call from the Sierra club would people freak out?

Man the fuck up.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bingo.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#38]

NRA lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The NRA didn't do that as they don't run their own telephone fundraising center.  Like most companies the bid that type of work out to 3rd parties.  I'm sure the 3rd party company is paid based on the revenue they bring in and they are using the underhanded tactics to track people down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then the NRA needs to either fire that company or reign them in.  Calling people at work is going to get people fired.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It sucks that you support the 2nd amendment but not the complete bill of rights which addresses what, how, when, and to whom, I disclose my political associations being my decision. Freedom of expression, freedom to assemble/associate, freedom not just guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you advocate freedom, yet you feel that those same freedoms need remain hidden? Irony much?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you are not a member because the NRA has to work to get non-member gun owners to join and support.  Right smart logic there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#42]
They kept calling me every 2 days asking for more money. I was working 2nd shift and would sleep until 10:30 am and they would call me at 8:30 am waking me up. After asking nicely The caller on the other side told me that I couldn't stop the calling. After sending corporate s scathing email and vowing to never again be a member they stopped calling. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So you advocate freedom, yet you feel that those same freedoms need remain hidden? Irony much?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their business, their rules?

OP was lucky, I'm sure if the National Revenue Association called some employers it would only single the person out. They shouldn't  be calling people at work anyway, he didn't give them permission to and provided them with a valid number to call. Why do they think have a right to do what they want? oh ya, to spam people with calls to raise money lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I prefer to keep as low a profile as possible, as I feel it's nobody's business but mine and the folks I let know. Not so much that I really care who knows, but moreso I don't ever want to talk about guns with someone unless I know they're not an idiot. So many "fake" gun people talking total nonsense based on their call of duty knowledge, or "I know a guy with an illegal machine gun" - Also so many anti-gunners that want to get into a debate.

I get lightweight bummed out at the amount of mail I get with guns/etc printed all over it. If they started calling me at work I'd probably be fairly upset.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check your IM brother.  I'll need to get some information from you so I could help you with your issue.  Be more than happy to help.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Riiiiiight..... I'm sure it has nothing to do with you being a consummate cheap ass that's comfortable letting others pull your dead weight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

thats effed up!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out why they have or you gave them your work info to begin with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the OP:

They finally pass me to headquarters and they blacklist my work number which they are not supposed to have with the explanation their marketing team has gone out and data mined their membership list for alternative numbers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#50]
my boss ended a business development meeting early this past Wednesday by announcing "let's talk tomorrow,  Leisure Shoot  has to get to his gun class so he can be a more efficient killer"

I took it as a compliment that he cares.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top