Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2016 7:48:23 AM EDT
Lab pup 10 weeks.

He does not like being in there. I have been giving him treats in there, sitting by it with him, etc. He never fully goes into it, I have to push his hind legs in to close the door. As soon as I leave the room the waterworks start and last for awhile but do eventually stop.

Any advice is welcomed I want to get this over with pronto!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Piss on his leg.

Any pics of the pooch?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Take an old t shirt, put it on, run a couple miles in it and spend some time in the gym. Sweat like there is no tomorrow. Put the t shirt into the kennel and most of the time the dog will go right in and go to bed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this an enclosed crate or wire?

Cover the crate with a blanket, block his viewing. Make going into the crate a fun experience, use that happy voice and a reward, don't force him in.

Our 1 YO Aussie did what you describe, he would howl and cry, etc., after about a couple days he stopped and now he will crate up when asked. Even goes into the crate on his own to unwind. It helped that one of the other Aussies loves his crate.

Basically like a kid at bedtime, don't give in, eventually they get it. Remember, dogs are just hairy 3 year olds that can't talk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Put him in 15-30 minutes before you leave, take him out 15-30 after you come home. When he's in the crate you ignore him.

The crate serves several functions, potty training, a refuge from people, they don't get into trouble in the crate etc.... He's getting would up when you put him in the crate to begin with and it's not helping that you're sitting there next to him and raising his excitement level, then rewarding it with treats, then all of the sudden leaving. It's like rattling a tigers cage, walking away, and wondering why the tiger is riled up.

Put him in the cage 15-30 minutes before you leave and ignore him. This gives him time to adjust and settle down before you leave for the day. When you get back you're going to ignore him for the first 15-30 minutes you're home. This reinforces that you're the master and you run the roost not the dog.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
See above posts and try giving him a favorite toy in there to chew on. Kongs with peanut butter etc.

Desensitize him by putting him in there for short periods of time slowly extending them.

Leave a radio on.

How long have you had him? Sometimes it takes a while to acclimate to the crate. They are den animals, MOST of them do not mind being crated.

ETA: A tired pup is a good pup.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cover the crate with a blanket, block his viewing. Make going into the crate a fun experience, use that happy voice and a reward, don't force him in.

Our 1 YO Aussie did what you describe, he would howl and cry, etc., after about a couple days he stopped and now he will crate up when asked. Even goes into the crate on his own to unwind. It helped that one of the other Aussies loves his crate.

Basically like a kid at bedtime, don't give in, eventually they get it. Remember, dogs are just hairy 3 year olds that can't talk.
View Quote

Don't leave the pup alone, in the crate with the blanket over it.  

My dog pulled the blanket i did that with through the crate and started eating it, and unfortunately swallowed some it.  It all passed, but I was worried.

Other than water, don't leave anything in the crate that they can chew on and swallow if you aren't going to be home for long periods of time,

Reward them when they go in, make it fun for them.  They get used to it and my dog eventually went in with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See above posts and try giving him a favorite toy in there to chew on. Kongs with peanut butter etc.

Desensitize him by putting him in there for short periods of time slowly extending them.

Leave a radio on.

How long have you had him? Sometimes it takes a while to acclimate to the crate. They are den animals, MOST of them do not mind being crated.

View Quote

This.

My did we've had for about 2 months now goes in to sleep during the day with door wide open. It sucks to hear them whine but it is worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in the process of the same thing, we just rescued a 13 week old shepard - boxer mix. Its been quite awhile since we had a puppy this young, the last few dogs were older when we rescued them. There was a huge leaning curve for us. She came "crate trained" but not house trained.

The 1st night she walked into the crate herself and was fine until I shut the gate, then she cried for about 20 mins, the next few nights I had to place her 1/2 way in before she would go the rest of the way in. It's been about 2 weeks now, and now she will put herself to bed.

I found that after she's in the crate no one can be in the room with her, before bed I make sure she has a good 1/2 hour our back, I play soccer with her to wear her out, and make sure she poops and pees. She the gets 1 treat for being a "good girl" then back inside where I sit with her for a few minutes on the couch. I let the rest of the family say good night to her and go up to get ready for bed. I shut down the tv turn off the lites except the hall light and put her the crate, the whole time telling her what a good girl she is.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry my post got cut in half for being too long as a new member???

1 point I really wanted to make is do not use the crate as a punishment while trying to get them use to sleeping in it. Do not feed them in the crate, and do not sit or laying in front of the crate while they are in it.

Phase them for being good right before and right after thier in the crate and walk away, the 1st few nights are brutal, but after 20 mins or soon they will figure out your not coming back and they will go to bed, the worst mistake you can make is to let them see you "checking" on them...

Make sure they have something with your scent on it inside the crate, old shirt, small blanket, maybe a favorite chew toy, no rawhide or anything that would make them have to go to the bath room...

Hang in there, it gets easier as their comfort level grows, our pup was in a few homes before she ended up with us, they need to feel secure in thier home, once they do you'll be fine...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh and for handing out treats, I only give them to her when she does something positive, bath room outside, sits, etc, she does not get a treat just to get one.

Use the same words in training them, who ever the main trainer of the house is make sure the rest of the family is using those same words for the same actions, this will greatly cut down the time it takes for them to figure things out...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't have a crate, I used a leash to tie my dog up while I was gone. The idea, like a crate, was to isolate him so he would be sleeping in the same spot. It semi worked but he still had accidents and chewed my baseboard. Eventually, as he got better, I tied him up to the futon and I slept with him on the futon when I was home. Eventually I stopped tying him up and just blocked the stairs so he would stay down on the tile. Overall it worked pretty good. I had a chick staying with me for the last few months and let her get a puppy (french buldog). He is freaking almost 5 months old and the crate training has been rough. He whined a little at first but he is only doing semi good at holding it. I guess being a puppy mill dog, going in the cage is a hard thing to break. Plus if he would deficate int he cage, he would eat it. Then he would projectile vomit crap here and there. He is a disgusting little dog. I already went on a rant in another thread about him. I'm glad her and him are both gone.

Good luck to you with the pup.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Why do you feel the need to lock your dog in a jail cell
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lab pup 10 weeks.

He does not like being in there. I have been giving him treats in there, sitting by it with him, etc. He never fully goes into it, I have to push his hind legs in to close the door. As soon as I leave the room the waterworks start and last for awhile but do eventually stop.

Any advice is welcomed I want to get this over with pronto!

Thank you.
View Quote

You're training him.  Don't let him train you.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's just silly.

ETA: Your comment and mentality are silly, not crate training.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Leave a radio on.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hurr durr!

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#17]
What's the purpose of locking a dog in a crate unless it's destructive? Mine have always slept on the floor beside the bed with their people. For a bonus, if someone does break in they have to trip over the dog to get to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the purpose of locking a dog in a crate unless it's destructive? Mine have always slept on the floor beside the bed with their people. For a bonus, if someone does break in they have to trip over the dog to get to me.
View Quote

I crate trained all of my dogs for the first 6 months, kept the crate around for another 6 months for them to use as they please, then took the crate away.  Crate training works very well for a puppy and helps the puppy feel "comfortable".  It's not just locking the dog away, they are supposed to actually like it in there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put him in 15-30 minutes before you leave, take him out 15-30 after you come home. When he's in the crate you ignore him.

The crate serves several functions, potty training, a refuge from people, they don't get into trouble in the crate etc.... He's getting would up when you put him in the crate to begin with and it's not helping that you're sitting there next to him and raising his excitement level, then rewarding it with treats, then all of the sudden leaving. It's like rattling a tigers cage, walking away, and wondering why the tiger is riled up.

Put him in the cage 15-30 minutes before you leave and ignore him. This gives him time to adjust and settle down before you leave for the day. When you get back you're going to ignore him for the first 15-30 minutes you're home. This reinforces that you're the master and you run the roost not the dog.

View Quote

Solid advice
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My dog pulled the blanket i did that with through the crate and started eating it, and unfortunately swallowed some it.  It all passed, but I was worried.

Other than water, don't leave anything in the crate that they can chew on and swallow if you aren't going to be home for long periods of time,

Reward them when they go in, make it fun for them.  They get used to it and my dog eventually went in with no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.. Not to mention anything soft or absorbent in the crate will be used to defecate on. Its tempting to try to make the crate soft and comfortable but until the dog is house broken then its a losing battle. Its just a dog. it will be just fine in a properly constructed crate while it learns how to be in a house.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Like others said, high rewards every time the pup enters. Pieces of chicken, steak, good stuff every time it enters.

I don't think this was posted:

Fill a Kong with peanut butter and freeze it (it'll last much longer). Let the dog play with it and lick at it for a minute. Then take the kong and place it inside the crate right inside the door, and close it in there (while the puppy is still outside the crate). If you do it right, the puppy will be begging to get inside the crate, then let him in and leave it with the Kong.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will definitely throw a sweaty shirt in there. I think I have been led astray with a few videos I watched about slowly acclimatizing him to the crate. However this seems like a long process- more than a day, and I have to put him in there at night because he destroys everything!! Haha

I'll put him in and make it more matter of fact when I do it. Only had him 2 days so I know there will be a learning curve for him.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't lock an adult dog in a crate unless it's destructive.  

You do lock a puppy in a crate when you can't hover over it to make sure it doesn't chew on power cords, or relieve itself when and where ever the mood strikes.  You do this until you feel you can allow the dog to roam your house unsupervised.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
We have 3 kongs that we rotate.  We reduce our dag's meal in his bowl and add some to the kong.  Then we add yougart and/or pnut butter and freeze and give it to him in the crate only. That keeps him busy a little while.  Within a week, when he would see us pull out a kong, he would run to his kennel and be waiting.

When he fusses, we ignore him, and he settles down.  Of course, making sure all his needs have been met first, so he isn't fussing to go potty.  We leave a TV on for background noise.  It just takes time, but they get used to it.  My older dog is never crated anymore, but she will choose to go in there sometimes.  As well, her food bowl is in there, so she will go in for meals.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats a rediculous comment but ill engage you.

Since most people cant stay at home 24 hours a day and it would be foolish and dangerous to put a 10 week old puppy outside all day what is the solution? You crate not only to protect your home but your new dog. Him eating all sorts of random shit is not only destructive to your home but also dangerous for his insides and is a solid way to kill your dog. So crate training him is a safe, proven, humane way to keep him and your property safe while you teach him how to behave. The goal is to one day make the crate optional or voluntary, but until you have that level of trust for your pet the crate is a perfect tool.

All of mine have been crate trained and now they go in there and chill all the time. Its their own personal spot. the only time i make them get in is when we will be having lots of traffic in the house and i don't want them getting out by accident.

they each had their own crate and dog beds and this is how they would end up with the doors wide ass open..

ETA: looking back. Jesus Christ was that floor dirty.. Ick...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You do lock a puppy in a crate when you can't hover over it to make sure it doesn't chew on power cords, or relieve itself when and where ever the mood strikes.  You do this until you feel you can allow the dog to roam your house unsupervised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  EVERYTHING is fair game for destructo-pup.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Just let him cry it out.  The first few nights will be noisy for a while.  Once he realizes there is no return for yapping he will shut up.   After a while they like their crates.  

Mine are at a point where all I have to do is say "crate" in a loud voice and they run in because they know they might get a treat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup.. Not to mention anything soft or absorbent in the crate will be used to defecate on. Its tempting to try to make the crate soft and comfortable but until the dog is house broken then its a losing battle. Its just a dog. it will be just fine in a properly constructed crate while it learns how to be in a house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice, though my guys have never messed with the blanket, you do want to create a cave like atmosphere if possible. But for puppies probably sage advice, my adult Aussies like the darkness.

As for people asking why crate, it serves a lot of purposes, it is a space that they own, theirs alone, everyone should have a place they can claim, it helps when you need to secure them for what ever reason, people that use them for "jails" are doing it wrong IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top