Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2016 11:13:51 PM EDT
Redoing our upstairs which consists of a master bed/bath, a study and what was a darkroom(husband/previous owners hobby). We have a good size dog, 3 cats and a 2.5 year old girl. She is convinced we need laminate(thanks father in law) because it will hold up better. Yes, it should. I'm trying to tell her for one, no increase in value to the house. Two, it's got no soul to it like solid wood does. If laminate gets damaged, you're screwed. If hardwood gets damaged it can be fixed. Any help?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't want wood with that many people + pets.

High quality laminate is outstanding these days, it costs a lot too.

Edit: Buy 3 extra boxes of the laminate; it's more than you'll ever need.

Edit 2: Hardwood can be repaired, but in general it's way more expensive than a few extra boxes.

Edit 3: Keep wood/laminate out of your bathroom. Neither are all that great for dealing with moisture. Tile is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Pull your big boy pants up and tell her you are the boss?

Eject?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Two kids, a big dog and three cats. I wish the floors, walls and ceiling through the whole house was laminate. I will save the real wood floors for when I am retired and the grand kids are a little older.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
We did pre-finished hardwood in the bedrooms and hallways. I viewed it as a compromise financially between laminate and true hardwood. Anyway, turned out great and we're real happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell her that laminate will always have non sealed cracks between the "boards". Just imagine dog piss or spilled drinks getting between the "boards" and sitting there forever and stinking up the house.
Hardwood that's properly installed and finished in place is sealed, until the coating is worn through. Then you refinish it. A well done and maintained hardwood floor should last 90 years. I've never seen a laminate live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really glad we got laminate. It's been down for 10-11 years, and still looks new. Some hardwood looks better, but it will never wear better.

I'm do demo. One section of the company does nothing but surface demo (floor removal). We work for contractors and installers or the homeowners and tear out tile, hardwood, VCT, and carpet for a living. I say that to saw the below.

Whatever you do, do NOT glue hardwood or engineered wood dirrectly down to the plywood subfloor. Put down a breaking layer first. Like a sheet of 3/8 particle board or ply and shoot or screw it down. Then use glue if you need to.  

Nailing is best for repairs and replacement. But a squeak is likely.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently sold a house in the Dallas metro area, upper 300k range. I put in brand new high quality laminate flooring in the dining room and office right before it was listed. One comment from EVERY prospective buyer - why did he cheap out with a fake wood floor? Never again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad has poplar floors on his cabin that are roughly 250 years old....
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Wood repro tile or wood repro vinyl

I'm going with the wood repro tile in the kitchen because I like to cook when I'm drunk and I make a mess.

Ergo it needs to be mopped.

Sans dogs, kids and teenagers (soon for the teenagers which are worse than dogs) I will go with real hardwood floors but I am not spending the money until I know they won't get destroyed by teenage boys spilling coke and sweet tea and ignoring their fuckups like they never did it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
google image "laminate floor water damage"
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
REAL HARD WOOD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy once, cry once.  Hardwood, not laminate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
wood grain tile.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently sold a house in the Dallas metro area, upper 300k range. I put in brand new high quality laminate flooring in the dining room and office right before it was listed. One comment from EVERY prospective buyer - why did he cheap out with a fake wood floor? Never again.
View Quote

This. Also,anyone rooting for laminate doesn't know what's involved in changing out a single board in the middle of a room due to one little chip. Especially a big room. Real wood floors are sealed completely from one end of the room to the other. Laminate floors have cracks in between every fucking board where water and any other liquid can get in and cause swelling, seperation and degredation. This is why the manufacturer recommends not wet mopping laminate flooring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wood grain tile.
View Quote
This is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

She is convinced we need laminate(thanks father in law) because it will hold up better. Yes, it should.
View Quote

I fake product with an interior made of paper and sawdust will hold up better than solid wood?  Better tell that to 200 year old floor in my 200 year year old house.  Get a sample of laminant and a sample of solid hard wood, put them in a plastic container, pour a glass of water in it, and check it a day later.  Tell me which one holds up better.  Water leaks, storm damage, and flooding happen.  

An addition to the 200 year old house had a roof leak and has poured water onto the floor half a dozen times.  The guy who built the addition put solid ash floors in to match the rest of the house.  I have a fan on it and the floor is pretty much fine.  Try that with laminate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a good idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wood grain tile.
This is a good idea.

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
A 100 years from now,  nobody will be trying to preserve laminate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Laminate?  Check if it has formaldehyde...or is that engineered
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Tile, the answer is always tile.

Get the ones that look like wood.

I wish I did that instead of wood, I have two dogs.....eventually I will be tearing the whole downstairs up and trying again at the rate they are destroying it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Laminate can be refinished maybe once.

Hardwood can be refinished several times.

Long term= Hardwood.

If you plan on staying there forever, put down natural stone.
It's a better heat/ cold sink. Thermal Mass saves $$$$.
The shit last forever.
Cost per sq.Ft. is comparable to hard wood flooring.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pull your big boy pants up and tell her you are the boss?

Eject?

Good luck.
View Quote

Pull your big boy pants down and show her you are the boss?

Eject?

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#24]
condem argument...   been there.  Wifes tend to think through the consequences more then we do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
google image "laminate floor water damage"
View Quote

So what? Google hardwood floor water damage.... All wood floors can be water damaged. Different laminate and different woods are susceptible at different rates.

Bamboo is the fucking worst... It's not wood people! It's fucking grass! It is not UV stable! It is extremely moisture sencitive! It's not hard compared to other wood, it's actually pretty damn soft... because it's grass! .... Not wood! Lol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I fake product with an interior made of paper and sawdust will hold up better than solid wood?  Better tell that to 200 year old floor in my 200 year year old house.  Get a sample of laminant and a sample of solid hard wood, put them in a plastic container, pour a glass of water in it, and check it a day later.  Tell me which one holds up better.  Water leaks, storm damage, and flooding happen.  

An addition to the 200 year old house had a roof leak and has poured water onto the floor half a dozen times.  The guy who built the addition put solid ash floors in to match the rest of the house.  I have a fan on it and the floor is pretty much fine.  Try that with laminate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is convinced we need laminate(thanks father in law) because it will hold up better. Yes, it should.

Construction manufacturers have been trying to push sawdust and glue products onto the market for generations now, with the sales pitch always being "It's stronger and more durable than wood."

Everything from OSB to manufactured floor joists (1/2" osb with 2x2 caps) to trim (crown and base nothing but sawdust and glue with a paper veneer to look like primed wood. The list goes on forever. It's shit and it doesn't last or work like real wood. 20 years experience in carpentry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Wood. No substitutes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]
What you want, op, is luxury vynal planks. Wood look, but thicker vynal, can be peeled up and replaced easily, and is virtually indestructible short of taking a knife to it. It'll do well with pets, AND moisture.

Plus it goes down alot easier, with alot less dust (cuts with a knife, vrs saws)

It's also softer on your feet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Laminate?  Check if it has formaldehyde...or is that engineered
View Quote

Engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators sourced from China.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I have pre-finished oak hardwood in one house and it has been down twenty years, no pets in this one.
Outside of some dings and dents in a few spots where I dropped some items it still looks great.

The second house has high end laminate in every room but for the baths, and in this one I have a dog.
It is darker then the oak and has been down for three years and I hate it. It is terrible to take care of, it shows
every foot print, every little piece of anything. It is horrible with regards to spills, the dog plays with his water bowl
and if you do not clean it up ASAP it screws the laminate. When he was a puppy he had a few accidents and if you did
not clean it up ASAP the laminate was screwed and started to bubble.

Laminate, never again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I have hardwood , oak in the kitchen and cherry in the dining room . My ex -gf had laminate , The solid wood in my house is 20 years older than her laminate and looks better still . The laminate seemed to show dents and scratches much more than my hardwood. My wood has seen a dog and shows no signs of it
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The only time I would choose laminate over hardwood is for a finished basement; even then I would choose engineered hardwood over laminate.

OP should also keep in mind that not all laminate is created equal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#33]
We have the whole house, minus kitchen and bathrooms in laminate.

With a dog and two cats its a must, the test for our floor is we gave the dog to sample for two weeks

She chewed , chewed and chewed with little to no damage except around the edges.

Then we put 2 pieces in a bucket of water for two days and their was very little swelling and the two

pieces interlocked.

The above made the decision a no brainier, we got the rough finish floor for the rustic look and kept 4 boxes of

it in case we ever had a issue.

The wife and I watched a youtube video and put down 1200 sq ft of it ourselves and saved the $1700 install fee.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Whichever you choose, make sure it is a timeless style, because who gives a shit how long it lasts if it looks dated in a few years.

BTW.....I just put some ceramic tile in my wife's home office and it looks like beached oak planks. I like it a lot........it does not follow the advice I just gave, but in this case it doesn't matter.....my wife beats the hell out of that floor and I expect to change it again in 6-7 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]
As an owner and installer of our hardwood flooring I can tell you that you don't want hardwood with pets and kids.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

As an owner and installer of our hardwood flooring I can tell you that you don't want hardwood with pets and kids.
View Quote

Do they not make stronger coatings that can be applied to real hardwood floors?  One would think a better finish would have been invented by now.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

This and actually kids are the worst, you can clip your dogs nails.

I have some shitty as vinyl in the kitchens and baths along with shitty ass carpet and a 14 y/o boy

When he goes away to college or stops being a fucking spaz I will redo the kitchen with wood tile and the floors with real hardwood.

For now I won't even paint the fucking hallway cause he can't seem to walk through it without putting his grubby hands on it.

I am a realist and was once a spaz retarded teenager too, so it doesn't bother me.  I will bide my time and do it once and do it right,

Wet areas equal repro wood tile, living areas equal good hardwoods.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This. Also,anyone rooting for laminate doesn't know what's involved in changing out a single board in the middle of a room due to one little chip. Especially a big room. Real wood floors are sealed completely from one end of the room to the other. Laminate floors have cracks in between every fucking board where water and any other liquid can get in and cause swelling, seperation and degredation. This is why the manufacturer recommends not wet mopping laminate flooring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The wife and I did our entire house in a week, Its simple, pull up the quarter round, take out boards, cut and fix board, then reassemble.

Putting down the floor the first time has a learning curve, after that its easy. Hardest part is cutting the the pieces for the doorways etc.

If a guy that has never ran a table saw and his 45 yr old wife can figure it out anyone can.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#40]
go with a thick high quality laminate and it will last for decades!  as everyone else said, do not do hardwood with kids and dogs
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tell her that laminate will always have non sealed cracks between the "boards". Just imagine dog piss or spilled drinks getting between the "boards" and sitting there forever and stinking up the house.
Hardwood that's properly installed and finished in place is sealed, until the coating is worn through. Then you refinish it. A well done and maintained hardwood floor should last 90 well over 100 years. I've never seen a laminate live up to the hype.
View Quote

Fixed

ETA: But dogs will beat it to shit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#42]
what aboot wood grained tile?  google images of it

It is looking pretty good these days...and perfect for wet area.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Lvt is some pretty nice stuff
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
what aboot wood grained tile?  google images of it

It is looking pretty good these days...and perfect for wet area.
View Quote

Something tells me that in not much time, it will be the next shag carpet or 32 sq. ft. wood paneling that gets ripped out during remodels.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#45]
So OP's wife is not into hard wood but he is?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hardwood that's properly installed and finished in place is sealed, until the coating is worn through. Then you refinish it. A well done and maintained hardwood floor should last 90 years. I've never seen a laminate live up to the hype.
View Quote

There is vinyl that has adhesive overlap and is waterproof. That's what  I used in my entry way. Has been holding up great to a family of six and a dirt driveway (lots of grit tracked inside)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Do you ever want a BJ again?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#48]
If you do end up doing laminate spring for the higher quality underlayment, at least 2mm.  It will even out minor floor imperfections, make a quieter floor and add a few r value for insulation.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
REAL HARD WOOD.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Two kids, a big dog and three cats. I wish the floors, walls and ceiling through the whole house was laminate. I will save the real wood floors for when I am retired and the grand kids are a little older.
View Quote

Good luck with the broken hip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top