User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Everything is cyclical there.

All the smug 'I am voting for HRC' types that make way more money than they are worth will be out of a job at some point.

It was the same way in the internet bubble in the late 90s, when anyone who could spell 'HTML' was making $200k a year.
View Quote

It's nothing like the last bubble.  Internet companies are actually making money this time and lots of it.

Anything can happen but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a crash like the last one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's nothing like the last bubble.  Internet companies are actually making money this time and lots of it.

Anything can happen but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a crash like the last one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the smug 'I am voting for HRC' types that make way more money than they are worth will be out of a job at some point.

It was the same way in the internet bubble in the late 90s, when anyone who could spell 'HTML' was making $200k a year.

It is 'always different' this time until the crash.

Equilibrium always wins.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That brush of yours is as broad as a broom.  

I don't know anyone that wishes ill will on Carolinians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thats a fucked up thing to wish on someone.

Yes it is, but imagine some of the stuff those liberals wish on us.

That brush of yours is as broad as a broom.  

I don't know anyone that wishes ill will on Carolinians.

Texans, jealous of barbecue that isn't garbage.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OP you must not know that karma can work in ways you do not expect, don't you?

It is in poor taste to wish ill will on others. I have seen people like you blindsided

by layoffs, offshoring and downsizing.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is like the oil booms in Texas when anyone with a GED is driving an $80,000 pickup truck.

It all comes crashing down eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a fucked up thing to wish on someone.

It is like the oil booms in Texas when anyone with a GED is driving an $80,000 pickup truck.

It all comes crashing down eventually.
If they were smart they would had paid cash and saved

Met a 101st sniper that worked in the oil fields for 5 yrs

Bro dozed house etc paid for and then he moved back home.

Every few months he does 23 days on a rig and runs a pager for the state

Local.

He did pretty good for a 11B with no college degree.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone is butt hurt....I can say the same about a great number of professions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't the OP the one that likes to claim he makes more than everyone else when losing a weak argument?

Sounds like we need to have a purge here...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We seem to have a few subject matter experts here.  If you guys could tell a 28 year old guy to head in one particular direction with it, what would it be?  I'm changing careers and currently using my GI bill to go back to school but I don't know where to focus my efforts within the computer science degrees.
View Quote

I don't know why people are advising to avoid IT and do welding or A/C repair or some such shit.  If I were starting over right now, I would get a computer science degree all over again.  People that think that technology is going away, or allowing in even 100,000 Indians on visas to do the work will permanently stop the rising tide of software development needed, knows nothing.  At worst, developers will take a 30% pay cut and still make far more than than most professions.  

Another thing that I strongly believe: robotics is the next technology revolution: Either programming them, building the hardware, or repairing them.  I have no idea what degrees are available now that are related to robotics hardware, but obviously computer science is a good degree for the software side.  The robots are coming my friend, sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You must have missed this gem from today.

Uber  

The unicorn slayer is coming.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those "one time" accounting entries don't seem to be one time anymore.    

SEC is noticing the increasing frequency of non-GAAP financials.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Equilibrium always wins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Equilibrium always wins.

I didn't say there wouldn't ever be a crash.  I'm just saying that the current situation is very much not like the dotcom bubble therefore you should not hold your breath.

The dotcom burst was inevitable based on the fundamentals alone.  There wasn't enough speculative dollars in the world to keep that bubble going another year or two.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
No thanks, they will all move to free states and get involved in the local politics
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Except for the fact that SDN seems to be taking over the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We seem to have a few subject matter experts here.  If you guys could tell a 28 year old guy to head in one particular direction with it, what would it be?  I'm changing careers and currently using my GI bill to go back to school but I don't know where to focus my efforts within the computer science degrees.

I would say hardware servicing would be a good direction in the IT world.  As a programmer my biggest concern is outsourcing.  You can't really do that with physical networking or hardware support.

Except for the fact that SDN seems to be taking over the world.

Yep, as a well as Software Defined Storage on the horizon.  If I can move the workload to another cluster or Datacenter, HW becomes less important.

If you're going to pick something, understanding applications and how  migration works.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Security
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Security

Risky career.

Everybody in the world could suddenly stop being a snooping, thieving jerk, and then the whole rug would be pulled out from under the IT security world.  The. Whole. Rug.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Risky career.

Everybody in the world could suddenly stop being a snooping, thieving jerk, and then the whole rug would be pulled out from under the IT security world.  The. Whole. Rug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Security

Risky career.

It is astonishing what the thieves cost us each year.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would say hardware servicing would be a good direction in the IT world.  As a programmer my biggest concern is outsourcing.  You can't really do that with physical networking or hardware support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, you would be wrong. As someone who would know, don't ask me how I know.

"Find a job anywhere" unless of course, you are over 45.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. About that.

Uber Loses at Least $1.2 Billion in First Half of 2016
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Linux and virtualization.  Python and other scripting / programming would also be very worthwhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linux and virtualization.  Python and other scripting / programming would also be very worthwhile.

Virtualization is a big one. If you're not using it, you're over a decade or so behind everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump in light of Google / youtube / twitter / facebook etc furiously deleting HRC vid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Virtualization is a big one. If you're not using it, you're over a decade or so behind everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's THE big one.   There is nothing bigger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Already happening.
Dell Fires 3000 US Employees, Requests 5000 Visas For Foreign Workers
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-09/dell-fires-3000-us-employees-requests-5000-visas-foreign-workers
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most industries are at least somewhat cyclical.

As for Silicon Valley, there may be an issue with unicorn companies in the near future, but it is debatable as to how wide spread that problem will be.  

I work in the area. Can't speak to all of the companies here, but the ones I work with all produce products/services and are healthy, revenue-wise. Only two of the companies I deal with would be considered unicorns. One of them is entrenched with the .gov and one is used by millions of people every day.

I believe that assholes are about evenly distributed across all population bases. It's just that a few here have enough money or social media access to be incredibly vocal.

Think critically for a minute. Did you dislike the bailout of the car and banking industries? Do you dislike the idea of an insurance industry bailout? The 90s were one thing. What do you think will happen if there is a massive/persistent failure of the tech industry in Silicon Valley? Do you think the politicians will look at it differently than they did the car or banking industries? From what companies does the .gov buy its computers, mobile devices, a good portion of its software, and receive an uncomfortable amount of political donations? I hate the idea of bailouts, but I'd bet good money that if there were large scale failures in Silicon Valley (or failures of certain companies), we'd see some sort of a tech industry bailout.

I dislike this area of the country and the political opinions that tend to dominate the immediate vicinity, but wishing failure on an area which would likely result in large scale government handouts/dependency seems short sighted.

As a side note, most of the people in the area don't make $200k, certainly not low level programmers or most of the people working for these companies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top