Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
will you be able to stack up some cash and come back with something in the bank?

i voted FO...
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck y'all aren't making this any easier...this is not exactly what I was expecting
View Quote

No, we are making it super easy.

Take the job and go to HK for a couple of years.

Then reassess and do what it takes to progress your career, whether that is here in the US or in HK...  or both.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Hong Kong is a great city, or at least it was 6mo before China to it over. I presume it's still pretty nice. I wouldn't drag my wife there, but if I was single is go there for work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised you guys liked Hong Kong that much. After growing up there for 15 years I'm totally done with it.

OP, if it's not permanent you'll probably enjoy it a lot as long as you don't mind the populstion density, weather, expensive housing and being gun-free.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
If you don't take a job in HK, even if it's just 6 months - year; you are an idiot. Fucking go if nothing is tying you here to the states.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've worked and traveled all over the orient and Hong Kong is one of my two favorite places (the other being Singapore).

How long is the assignment?  Indefinite?
View Quote

What this guy said.  I loved Hong Kong--even after being a guest of the government for a couple of days while they figured out if I was a spy or not.

Singapore was awesome...Chinese girls on a Western diet, speaking British-accented English...(shudder)    <----good shudder

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Side note:  One of the cool things about Hong Kong is that the middle of the city is "tiered".  You don't have foot traffic just on the street: There's actually levels built above the streets that go back and forth between skyscrapers and over boulevards.  Neat design, actually.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What this guy said.  I loved Hong Kong--even after being a guest of the government for a couple of days while they figured out if I was a spy or not.

Singapore was awesome...Chinese girls on a Western diet, speaking British-accented English...(shudder)    <----good shudder

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've worked and traveled all over the orient and Hong Kong is one of my two favorite places (the other being Singapore).

Be careful, you may make Miss Moneypenny jealous.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I heard it's sideways.
View Quote

No, it's slanted.  I mean, really, really slanted.  The angle is so intense that it really makes you nervous as fuck.  That was one ride I'll never forget!

Wait...we ARE talking about the train to the top of Victoria Peak, right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...nothing so extravagant.  I was on military orders, so no passport, and was handed a duffel bag full of (at the time latest and greatest) handheld GPS units for my squadron's pilots in the Persian Gulf.  Took off from Narita, landed in Hong Kong to cross over to Cathay...HK security (two months after the handover to the Chinese) saw that bag full of electronics, my military orders, and no visa...BAM!  Instant guest of the People.  The O5 I was with saw it happen, said "Good luck!  I'll tell the ship when I get there what happened." and left me.  When I finally got to the Indy and told my story--to explain why I was two days late--the O5 was brought in to corroborate and as soon as he saw me was like "Oh, shit"...he completely forgot, blew me off.  The squadron/ship had no idea where I was.  Staff guy, not a Line O...and after all that, the squadron wouldn't use the GPS units I brought because the Chinese had had them for two days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd fo if I were single!  Real interesting place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Just go, and if your single you MUST go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing tying me down, I'd go in an instant. All that good food to be had, hell yes!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My vote would be to "fo" there immediately.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd fo if my parents didn't need my help.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#16]
You can always move again if its not what you expected.  Fo already
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Any reasons to not go?

If so, tell them to fuck off and go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My BIL and his family live there. Apartments are small and rents are high. On the other hand, you will be taller than everybody.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]

It's like NYC, just bigger with more to do.

Just stay out of Wan Chai.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Cost of living makes San Francisco seem cheap. Do they pay for housing?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Go. Then when you get back to the states, head out to L.A. for the money, weed, women, and weather....
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Go. If you're not tied down to anything, just go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:54:58 AM EDT
[#24]
This is one of those "opportunity of a lifetime" moments. Carpe diem.

(Just don't tell them about your white supremacist avatar. )
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Send me some cigars while you are there!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, it's slanted.  I mean, really, really slanted.  The angle is so intense that it really makes you nervous as fuck.  That was one ride I'll never forget!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard it's sideways.

Of course.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]
If you go give our regards to The Noble House and try and find one of the broken coins.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Fo bro. HK is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you get on AR15.com from Hong Kong?

Because, if not that would be a deal breaker.........................

But seriously if no kids or wife, I think I would go just to try it out.  Especially if you can negotiate the move and housing and whatnot with them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes you will have a blast
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because, if not that would be a deal breaker.........................

But seriously if no kids or wife, I think I would go just to try it out.  Especially if you can negotiate the move and housing and whatnot with them.
View Quote

I could last time I was there a little over a year ago, I could not from China.  We have at least one member here who posts from HK so I'm guessing you still can.  VPNs are popular in China although they've cracked down heavily on them recently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:26:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did when I went there in April.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm 52. I've traveled all 50 states, se asia, central America, Europe and Africa.

Two things make me smile and say if i die tonight, I had a great life. My travels and my kids.

Enjoy life. It's real short and this is not a drill. Go, live, learn and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Go for it.

Imagine how fast ordering Chinese delivery will be.

And, if you are not in the mood for delivery, I hear the Chinese takeout is phenomenal.

Even better, if you order shit from China off e bay it won't take weeks to arrive.  Might be faster than Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My buddy went there. Came back 8 yrs later with a hot Chinese wife.
View Quote

Id be coming back with 5 or 6 wives.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I might think twice about going to commie China but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Fabulously wealthy island.  Visited there as a kid in the 70's and 80's and I remember seeing a Ferrari among the crush of taxis.  That was funny.   It was trapped in stop-and-go traffic.   Bought my first Tamiya remote controlled car kit from a killer hobby store in Hong Kong.  I was the first kid on the block back in the United States to have one.

When we stayed at the Hilton hotel, I went to the spa near the top floors and because I am Asian the British tourists all thought I worked there.   They kept asking me for towels.  When I told them I wasn't an employee, they looked confused.  My Dad was insulted, but what do you expect?   Hong Kong was a British colony at the time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:31:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi fellow film person who is in a department I never meet

I say go, stay for a few years then come back. Or stay if you really like it. But it could be cool, but I mean it's no America.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I say go, stay for a few years then come back. Or stay if you really like it. But it could be cool, but I mean it's no America.
View Quote

Oh hai
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh hai
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hai

Just drinkin some wrap beers and going to bed soon
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Set up microphone.  Smash gong with mallet.  HK movie scores complete.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I've been to hong kong... Was actually kind of fun. I cant imagine living there though.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

So I make music for movies for a living and was just offered a job in Hong Kong on a team that scores their biggest movies (all major composers have teams of composers that work for them). I've worked on quite a few projects for this composer in the past remotely but he wants me out there so I can work more closely with the team and I'm seriously considering it. Do I fo or no?

ETA: fuck it I'm going. Probably be April or May before I make it out there though.
View Quote
Good luck....

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is one of those "opportunity of a lifetime" moments. Carpe diem.

(Just don't tell them about your white supremacist avatar. )
View Quote

Or the wetsuit in the back of your car.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You will always regret it if you don't.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'd miss my guns for sure but it probably wouldn't be a permanent thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello yes.   But in Hong Kong you must eat peeps with Chop Sticks.

I'd miss my guns for sure but it probably wouldn't be a permanent thing.
Bury them in case Free America falls while you are gone.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Go... and get a boat and cruise the south china sea with an american flag to show those commies we aint scurred.

Or just go and do that job n'at
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes. Do it. Don't look back.

When I was in Shanghai I thought that a well-paid young(ish) American male with even average looks would have a blast working and living there. I'm guessing HK would be even better.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top