Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2016 11:46:43 PM EDT
So I make music for movies for a living and was just offered a job in Hong Kong on a team that scores their biggest movies (all major composers have teams of composers that work for them). I've worked on quite a few projects for this composer in the past remotely but he wants me out there so I can work more closely with the team and I'm seriously considering it. Do I fo or no?

ETA: fuck it I'm going. Probably be April or May before I make it out there though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've worked and traveled all over the orient and Hong Kong is one of my two favorite places (the other being Singapore).

How long is the assignment?  Indefinite?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've worked and traveled all over the orient and Hong Kong is one of my two favorite places (the other being Singapore).

How long is the assignment?  Indefinite?
View Quote

Yes. This composer pretty much gets all the major stuff being produced there. HK = Chinese Hollywood basically. I'm not sure if I'd consider moving there permanently, but the credit and experience would give me...alot of opportunities back in the States.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hong Kong is bad-ass looking city.  So there's that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just go man, not much going on here...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course go! Go now!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello yes.   But in Hong Kong you must eat peeps with Chop Sticks.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Go, and bring me back something.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Hong Kong is a fun city, although tbh it gets on my nerves after 5-6 days what with the crush of ant people running around. Rent around there in good areas in not far off from SF class IIRC.

It's also a late to bed/late to rise city, and I remember many retail shops being open to 10pm or later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd miss my guns for sure but it probably wouldn't be a permanent thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it!  I lived there for awhile and it's a great city.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Negotiate first class airfare out there. You don't wanna be in economy for 14 hours..
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, that's good to hear. What were you doing there? I'd love to know a bit more about your experience.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
What are your reasons to stay?

Sounds like an opportunity you'd regret not taking unless you have strong obligations here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds fun to me.  I once had the chance to move to Bulgaria - turned it down as I'd have to break up with my GF, get rid of my pets, and train 500 people to do the jobs of 100 people that I personally hired in the USA.  

My roommate did it and is a blast at parties because of his stories, how cool he was.  The 100 people I fired were super pissed, 2 had babies on the way
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
My buddy went there. Came back 8 yrs later with a hot Chinese wife.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd do it in another life. Fo
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hong Kong is a fun city, although tbh it gets on my nerves after 5-6 days what with the crush of ant people running around. Rent around there in good areas in not far off from SF class IIRC.

It's also a late to bed/late to rise city, and I remember many retail shops being open to 10pm or later.
View Quote

Yeah, I did NYC for a few months (short term job) and hated it at first but I adjusted quickly. I'm not a city person by any means but I can do well enough in that environment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not go for a while and try it?  I was only there briefly and I wasn't crazy about it but if you haven't been it would probably be a good experience.  Plus you might like it more than I did.  

The airport is a little crazy.  It looks like you're landing in the water.  There are A LOT of taxis.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say go, especially if you don't have family to worry about.

You can always come back, if you're tired of the job.

Would we know any of the movies you, or the composer, have worked on?

Good luck.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
You will always regret it if you don't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Hong Kong is an awesome place, cool mixture of eastern and western culture.  It's also extremely crowded/dense and the cost of living is very high.  

If you can deal with the urban setting and are getting paid enough to live comfortably out there, I'd fo.  I would have been more interested in living there when it was still a British colony, though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Go ahead.  You will never forget it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree with the pirate, I would jump on that opportunity.  Even if you only stay for a year it sounds like a great opportunity.  I love to visit HK, I could become a huge fat guy there with all of the great food, it is a modern city with everything you could need but it is crowded* and it's expensive to live there.  Fortunately it's easy to get anywhere from there i.e. Thailand and you can do that cheaply.  Even mainland China has some beautiful places and despite how screwed up it is in general it's worth visiting.

*Do a Google map search for Hong Kong and also one for Hong Kong nature and you'll see that most people live in and around the city proper but much of the island is relatively sparcely populated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Hong Kong is a great city - though some mandarin will smooth your path.

If the opportunity is legit, and the upside major, I'd FO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good luck.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Chris

You've seen quite a few of them on Rotten Tomatoes recently, but I can't really say more than that as I'm technically a ghostwriter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to go.  If you have the opportunity, the money's good, and you don't have a wife and kids to worry about, why are you even asking this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Be gone!  And love it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wow, that's good to hear. What were you doing there? I'd love to know a bit more about your experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did study abroad there and lived in Kowloon Tong.  I was lucky because I had local room mates to show me all the cool local shit/food and lots of cool British exchange students to party with.

I also worked in Tokyo after college and I prefer Hong Kong, Tokyo girls are hotter and sluttier though.

What's cool about HK, so much of South East Asia is close and cheap to visit, including quick train rides up to Shenzhen or boat rides to Macau, Bangkok, etc.  Going to Shenzhen is fucking awesome if you leave the tourist area and get out and explore it too.  If you like adventures, then definitely do it and don't think twice about it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#30]
More money? More prestige? Wife? Kids?  GF?  

Can you slide back state-side without much of a hitch if you absolutely hated it there?

ETA:  Do you have a touch of yellow fever?

If the money was right, I'd be gone in an instant, but I'd have to have a plan for my return.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Go and learn Mandarin Chinese (and not the Cantonese used in Hong Kong).  It will prove useful in your career.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure you change your screen name to "Patient Zero" so we'll remember who you were.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go and learn Mandarin Chinese (and not the Cantonese used in Hong Kong).  It will prove useful in your career.
View Quote

Yeah, that's easy to just pick up.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#34]
... what are you going to do with your firearms?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Hk is awesome. I went for a wedding but stayed an extra 2 weeks.  It's like a miniature sci-fi channel version of nyc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
My brother in law worked in China for a few years. It was a great experience for him professionally and personally. He still talks about it every time I see him.

I'd do it if I were you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuck y'all aren't making this any easier...this is not exactly what I was expecting
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hong Kong is a great city - though some mandarin will smooth your path.

If the opportunity is legit, and the upside major, I'd FO.
View Quote

They don't speak Mandarin in Hong Kong and most of the locals wouldn't understand WTF you try to say. However, being a former Brit Colony, English (the real one) is/was used as 2nd language. So, English works better than Mandarin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck y'all aren't making this any easier...this is not exactly what I was expecting
View Quote

Pretty much a no brainer if you don't have strong ties holding you down.  Even if you have a wife and kids it would be a great experience for them; possibly setting them up for excellent job opportunities as well.  I would not worry about the schools there as you can find some very good ones, the better the school the more expensive though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#40]
you WILL regret it, if you don't go.

from HK you can hop a plane to any Asian country for a few days.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They don't speak Mandarin in Hong Kong and most of the locals wouldn't understand WTF you try to say. However, being a former Brit Colony, English (the real one) is/was used as 2nd language. So, English works better than Mandarin.
View Quote

I shay-shay'd my way there for a week on several occasions. Guess Engrish and money was enough.

BTW, Uber is better than cabs, depending on surge rate. During business day, cab probably cheaper than uber.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#42]
His name was Bizzarolibe. Hong Kong has him now, and she’ll never let him go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Go do it! Working overseas was great for me. I went to an English speaking country, but I'd do Hong Kong as well.

I had nothing holding me back, and I knew it wasn't permanent if I didn't want it to be.

Had lots of great experiences that just wouldn't have happened if I didn't go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah, I did NYC for a few months (short term job) and hated it at first but I adjusted quickly. I'm not a city person by any means but I can do well enough in that environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in downtown SF and HK is an entirely different animal. It's still a neat city. Go eat breakfast at the Mandarin Oriental; table #21 is my regular.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I heard it's sideways.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Experience the world, see new cultures and how another part of it lives.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#48]
How old are you and do you ever get laid?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Great place.  signs in english. menus in english at most places.  lot of foreigners live there.  Cost of living is high though so they better compensate you well . Some of the best food in the world

GOOOOOOOOOOOO
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I shay-shay'd my way there for a week on several occasions. Guess Engrish and money was enough.

BTW, Uber is better than cabs, depending on surge rate. During business day, cab probably cheaper than uber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The MTR network is quite extensive, inexpensive and convenient.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top