Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 6:01:46 PM EDT
Many people got 0 dollar raise.
Some people ( person)  got 11k dollar raise

Years ago Marine-Ordie had me read A Message To Garcia.

I was always a good worker and did well.

But MTG crystallized a few things for me.

My boss 3 levels higher notices  

Oh, and if MarineOrdie ever sends you a cigar you better have your balls screwed on tight  

Strong is an understatement

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah every boot to ever grace the Marine Corps is forced to read it.

Its a good lesson.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Damned if I didn't understand every word.

Congrats!

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damned if I didn't understand every word.

Congrats!

View Quote
I'm Not drunk--- yet
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just so you know, Ordies do not fuck around with wimpy shit

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and if MarineOrdie ever sends you a cigar you better have your balls screwed on tight  

Apparently!!!!!
Camacho Triple Maduro
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Grumble.....
Stupid avatar changers...
Get off my lawn too!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That is a stout stick, do not smoke it on a empty stomach

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently!!!!! Camacho Triple Maduro

That is a stout stick, do not smoke it on a empty stomach

I did.  My wife laughed at me and had me drink some sweet tea and eat a sammich  
She knew what was up.

I am new to cigars
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Grumble.....

Stupid avatar changers...

Get off my lawn too!
View Quote
Had to finally change it  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Never smoke a Maduro on a empty belly

Eat a good meal, sit back and enjoy the smoke  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38222

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did.  My wife laughed at me and had me drink some sweet tea and eat a sammich  She knew what was up.

I am new to cigars

Never smoke a Maduro on a empty belly

Eat a good meal, sit back and enjoy the smoke  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38222

I should have realized that was a beast
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IYAOYAS

awesomeness  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IYAOYAS

awesomeness  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IYAOYAS

awesomeness  

Haha, yeah I smoked a hefty cigar when buddie and i were drinking boons what a bad idea
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#15]
What is a message to Garcia?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What is a message to Garcia?

View Quote
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/OCS/content/pdf/Message%20to%20Garcia.pdf

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got home. Too late to,get drunk.

I was last person out besides the on call person.

6 lazy fucks were sitting around at 7 pm.

Still,plenty of,work to do.

They wonder why they didn't get a raise. "I'm going to start looking for another job"

By all means, please do!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump for the CWO4
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump for  PM.

I'll send him a link next
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#20]
IM Sent
Gonna interrupt his Friday cigar smokin

Probably send him some sticks tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#21]

ETA unrelated to A Message to Garcia.  Read No Victor no Vanquished.  Outstanding book about the Arab Israeli war.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Of note I had a sergeant read that book one day a message to Garcia and she took it literally what a f****** idiot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was a Lance Coconut I had so many higher ups make me read that book(pamphlet) and write a report on it that I fvcking saved one on Google drive so I could just copy it, paste it, and print it out wherever I was. What a waste of time.

Junior guys should read "Muddy Boots Leadership" instead.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]
It is a great read and it is truth. I see many people new to the work force and many who have been in the work force for a long time who ask me why they can't get promoted or get favorable action. I have printed out this many times and handed it out to junior leaders in my organization. It seldom has any effect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I was a Lance Coconut I had so many higher ups make me read that book(pamphlet) and write a report on it that I fvcking saved one on Google drive so I could just copy it, paste it, and print it out wherever I was. What a waste of time.

View Quote

Then you missed the point.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Semper
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no I didn't.  I don't want to derail this thread too badly but most higher ups have junior guys read that book because they want robots, not critical thinkers.  The point of that book is extremely simple...

I read it, understood it, and then realized that most of the guys who were making me read it probably didnt have the reading comprehension skills to understand anything else that was on the Commandants reading list.  They couldnt even read MCO P1020.34G correctly, much less a book.

Have you ever read "Muddy Boots Leadership"? - That should be required reading instead of a glorified childrens book.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Been a few years since I have read it, might give it another go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, no I didn't.  I don't want to derail this thread too badly but most higher ups have junior guys read that book because they want robots, not critical thinkers.  The point of that book is extremely simple...

I read it, understood it, and then realized that most of the guys who were making me read it probably didnt have the reading comprehension skills to understand anything else that was on the Commandants reading list.  They couldnt even read MCO P1020.34G correctly, much less a book.

Have you ever read "Muddy Boots Leadership"? - That should be required reading instead of a glorified childrens book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

added to the list.

And yes, MTG is usually force fed. It is good though, because if you ask people what they got out of it you heard all sorts of things... some of them might make deciding who to FAP out easier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, you did miss the point. The point of a letter to Garcia is that Rowan was a critical thinker and capable and willing to act independently, without instruction. He was asked to get a letter to Garcia and he just grabbed the letter and got it done. That is not what robots do. Robots must have every action programmed by the leader. I have read almost every word written by military minds that I have ever seen, from Marcus Aurelius to Sun Tzu and all the stuff in between.
You are right in the that the book is simple. It simply asks workers to be smart, independent and capable of action without having to be told every move to make. I'm sorry you missed it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly a leadership problem.  My guess is you never made it past LCpl, have a least 1 NJP, felt like you were picked on, couldn't make it to work on time, failed Bks inspection on a regular basis, had long fucking hair and had to be told multiple times to shave your face.

Just a guess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

See, you did miss the point. The point of a letter to Garcia is that Rowan was a critical thinker and capable and willing to act independently, without instruction. He was asked to get a letter to Garcia and he just grabbed the letter and got it done. That is not what robots do. Robots must have every action programmed by the leader. I have read almost every word written by military minds that I have ever seen, from Marcus Aurelius to Sun Tzu and all the stuff in between.
You are right in the that the book is simple. It simply asks workers to be smart, independent and capable of action without having to be told every move to make. I'm sorry you missed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

John Chapman's book?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Excellent!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
...just a guess
View Quote

I think that both of us actually have a very similar mindset about this, and that if we were having this discussion in person as opposed to through a screen it would be much better and less pointed.  I can understand your comment about being a turd-Marine, and I am happy to say the exact opposite is true.  I know exactly the type of guy you are referring to though.  He is the guy who is bored of reading MTG not because he thinks it's over-simplified and self-evident.  He's the guy who will never ever get it because his parents sucked and even his NCOs can't undo 19 years of snowflake garbage parenting. He is the guy that makes the rest of us wish the tree-line was still a thing.

I did understand the point of MTG, and Buckshot did a good job of summarizing exactly what it means.  The biggest problem with it is the way it's interpreted by most enlisted leadership, and the reason they have E-3's read it.  You're right, there was a leadership problem.  When I was an E-3 my leadership set the example of exactly how NOT to be.  That's what made it so frustrating.  I understood MTG, but my Sgts did not.  Shortly after our paths split, they either got demoted or kicked out.  

I hope you don't think I meant any disrespect towards you or something you hold dear, I  did come off that way, so for that I apologize.  You gleaned something great from it and I won't rag on it anymore.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I read, understood, and generally enjoyed what 'Message to Garcia' had to teach.

And then I wondered how many other guys had been sent out with the same message and didn't make it back to have a story written about them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

John Chapman's book?
View Quote

Yep.  That's the one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think that both of us actually have a very similar mindset about this, and that if we were having this discussion in person as opposed to through a screen it would be much better and less pointed.  I can understand your comment about being a turd-Marine, and I am happy to say the exact opposite is true.  I know exactly the type of guy you are referring to though.  He is the guy who is bored of reading MTG not because he thinks it's over-simplified and self-evident.  He's the guy who will never ever get it because his parents sucked and even his NCOs can't undo 19 years of snowflake garbage parenting. He is the guy that makes the rest of us wish the tree-line was still a thing.

I did understand the point of MTG, and Buckshot did a good job of summarizing exactly what it means.  The biggest problem with it is the way it's interpreted by most enlisted leadership, and the reason they have E-3's read it.  You're right, there was a leadership problem.  When I was an E-3 my leadership set the example of exactly how NOT to be.  That's what made it so frustrating.  I understood MTG, but my Sgts did not.  Shortly after our paths split, they either got demoted or kicked out.  

I hope you don't think I meant any disrespect towards you or something you hold dear, I  did come off that way, so for that I apologize.  You gleaned something great from it and I won't rag on it anymore.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...just a guess

Then you got screwed over and I hate that for you. My Marine Corps experience was great. I had great leadership and they helped me both during and after my time there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Nobody ever reads the companion book to MTG.  It's called "Don't Bitch About How Rowan Gets The Message Delivered".
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Nobody ever reads the companion book to MTG.  It's called "Don't Bitch About How Rowan Gets The Message Delivered".
View Quote
LoL.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Excellent!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent!
Yep.
When rhey ask,other guys to go help out at another location they get

1. What is so and so who should be working,late over there doing ?

2. What do I need to do when I get over there

3. Do you think I'll get out on time?

4.who went last time ?

5. What's the policy on us going over there ?

Etc etc etc.

I got a text Friday asking if I minded going over to the other place.

I replied " why are you asking me ? It's nice but I've told y'all before

, send me where most needed "

The non-whining, jump to it approach makes you standout

Years of doing that and I make about 47k more a year than the guy I report to.

I did well before Marine-Ordie wished me up but I've done exceptional afterwards.

I'm just lucky the big guy notices. One lower level leader was trying to push me out to make room for one of her buddies

But didn't work.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

ETA unrelated to A Message to Garcia.  Read No Victor no Vanquished.  Outstanding book about the Arab Israeli war.

View Quote
You trying to get me put in charge of the whole fucking place ?

A few sticks on their way to,you

Nothing fancy

They are hand rolled by a Cuban though

They are the house cigars the guy rolls at the local cigar place

Noel Rojas of Guayacan cigars sits there rolling.

Renegade Cigars, Richardson, Texas
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha so true..  I think I remember a chapter in there called "We can never ever ever tell LT how you actually accomplished this but awesome job"  

My old senior Lances could make some crazy things happen in country.  I often told them that never speaking of the details was probably the most prudent course of action though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Gees, the only required reading when I was in the Marine Corps were Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler magazine.   My, how times have changed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Gees, the only required reading when I was in the Marine Corps were Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler magazine.   My, how times have changed.
View Quote
Builds character.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top