Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The grip angle is all wrong on 1911's and they simply don't carry enough ammo.  Add to that spotty magazines that fail and hit-and-miss reliability and you have serious problems.

I mean, its better that being completely unarmed but there are VASTLY better solutions out there.
View Quote
CSB.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Fire one and find out for yourself little one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some people simply do not know how to shoot a gun properly, so they blame the weapon,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had several and own none.

The Good:
70 series had the sweetest trigger I've ever diddled with my finger. Smooth and broke like glass. Really showed me what, "let it surprise you," meant. It's a no brainer for bulls eye shooting.
Feels nice in your hand. Metal and balance. The low capacity single stack means that you can really wrap your hand around it for the proverbial "fist full of steel." The safety is in EXACTLY the right spot. Everything about it feels natural.
There's something about the proportions of the muzzle. The thin barrel wall makes the bore look huge or something. When you point a modern gun at someone they focus on your hands or eyes. When you point a 1911 at someone their eyes get big and focus on the muzzle. Things come to a screeching halt. There's a certain gravity to looking down the business end of a 1911 that commands attention and respect.

The reality:
They need to be tuned. And re-tuned if the temperature or humidity changes. Tuned like a car with breaker points. When's the last time you set dwell or adjusted carburetor screws with a tach and vacuum gauge?
They need to be polished, stroked, fluffed, and prayed over to feed properly, and when they don't feed it's always the magazine's fault. You have to shoot the crap out of it, all the time, with expensive ammo, in order to have faith that it's going to work when you need it. Meaning, if it isn't constantly tested, then you have no idea whether it's in-tune enough to work.

No matter which pricey, high maintenance, big named 1911, ammo, and mags you buy ... they can't run reliably at a class. Even with spot maintenance cleanings during the breaks. All of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM go down. Meanwhile every out-of-the-box Glock or XD that hasn't been cleaned in 5 years feeds and fires every time and never goes down at a class.

For all their charm and magnificence, they have simply been eclipsed in both design and material science. They excel in some corner cases, but when you need a no-nonsense, reliable, commuter pistol that you can beat the crap out of, neglect, and still depend on .... 1911 doesn't inhabit the solution space.

massive pile of bullshit
Some people simply do not know how to shoot a gun properly, so they blame the weapon,

You ever browse the reloading forum here and see an occasional 1911 basher proudly boasting how he's loading mouse fart .45 ACP for his 1911? Who knew that 1911's suck because they're making ammo that is so under powered that it doesn't meet the SAAMI spec that these modern 1911's were designed to fire and are jammomatics POS because of a reloader who is too cheap to do it right?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So what's all the fuss about 1911s? Why are they supposedly gods gift to the world.

Have never fired one, what makes them so awesome over a more modern .45?
View Quote

1)  They're not
2)  They're crap for the most part.  They're elevated to mythic status due to the fact of the single-action trigger
     and the big hole that they put in paper.  It looks impressive because the holes touch one another (group-wise) because
     the holes are so big that they touch/overlap one another.

The vast overwhelming number of them are shit-pits to which you throw fucktons of money into to make better.

You're better off spending your cash on a proven, modern design by HK, SIG, FN, or Glock.   If you wish to slum it a little, you can get a S&W or CZ;
but why?  Don't piss your money away.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1)  They're not
2)  They're crap for the most part.  They're elevated to mythic status due to the fact of the single-action trigger
     and the big hole that they put in paper.  It looks impressive because the holes touch one another (group-wise) because

The vast overwhelming number of them are shit-pits to which you throw fucktons of money into to make better.

You're better off spending your cash on a proven, modern design by HK, SIG, FN, or Glock.   If you wish to slum it a little, you can get a S&W or CZ;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what's all the fuss about 1911s? Why are they supposedly gods gift to the world.

1)  They're not

13'rs
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
1911 is what an autoloading pistol is supposed to be.  It's like a woman, as the creator intended.  Sure, you can get one that is a different shape or size, but underneath it all...  it's just plastic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Somethings in life are nicer than others.  

1911's are one of those things.

I carry glocks daily for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They were cool before houses had electricity. Obsolete POS, now.
View Quote

Shut up boy, men are talking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1)  They're not

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  They're not

Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1)  They're not

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1)  They're not

You're such a joke, that people already said "in before hawktheslayer". Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#12]
No other pistol is so easy to shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Over 100 years old and still considered an effective, even preferred combat pistol. That speaks volumes.
Oh, also consider that is with no major updates (1911 to 1911A1 if you insist). I can think of no other handgun that has lasted so long with no changes. Even the BHP (another excellent choice) has been through a few changes. Modern UberPistols have their hayday then fade out as some even more uber comes along but the 1911 keeps chugging along, always setting the standard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

hype & fuss?

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

hype & fuss?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hype & fuss?

Yup, troll thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#16]
i'll tell you this...

I have taken dozens, if not hundreds of people to the range for introductions to pistol shooting with 3/4 being women in the healthcare field. when I go I take a wide selection of handguns. without a doubt there are 2 that they fall in love with. those are:

S&W 4 inch 66

those are always the 2 they that ask to shoot a second time or to shoot more of.
they will shoot the Glocks, Beretta's, the Sig's,  442 S&W and Buckmark .22's but they always want more of the 66 and 1911.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Single action = nice trigger.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1911 and .45ACP killed many enemies of the United States
View Quote

So has malaria. So what?

Truth is its just a classic design. JMB was a genius and designed a fine gun. No arguing that. They're often a joy to shoot.  Modern versions have evolved into very capable handgun.

Also true is the fact that they are heavy, short on capacity and are known for sometimes being finicky. That's to say nothing of their typical premium price tag.

Objectively speaking from a purely performance based standpoint the 1911 is outclassed by a large never of more modern designs.

Despite all that there is still something to be said for the classics. 1911 is a fine gun. I enjoy owning and shooting onw myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I have shot a few and don't get it either, nothing wrong with them, they are nice but I have no interest in owning one.....but then I am not "into" guns. I am into shooting, there is a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
The natural pointability of the pistol is un matched.

The trigger is without equal. Look how it pulls straight back:

The ergonomics are amazing. Even if you haven't fired one, go to a gun store and handle one.

The gun was designed around the .45 cartridge.

It's slim profile makes it conceal and carry comfortably.

Over in GFD a member mentioned he really only enjoys shooting 45 in his 1911s, I have to agree.

Like Madcap said, you can't shoot a 1911 on the internet. You can't explain losing your virginity. It's just awesome.

If I could have only one pistol, it would be a 1911. My second choice? A G17. I own both and carry both.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Having learned pistol shooting on a Ruger Mark 1, I find the 1911 grip angle to be extraordinarily awkward.  

The ergonomics are amazing. Even if you haven't fired one, go to a gun store and handle one.

Colt woodsman remains the most ergonomic pistol I have ever held.  It is a natural extension of my body.  

That said, I love 1911s and the only change I would make from the A1 style is an extended slide release like the Norwegian 1914.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#22]
The greatest shooting experience on the planet is a 5in government model launching 230gr ball out of 7rd mags. Its magical.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So has malaria. So what?

Truth is its just a classic design. JMB was a genius and designed a fine gun. No arguing that. They're often a joy to shoot.  Modern versions have evolved into very capable handgun.

Also true is the fact that they are heavy, short on capacity and are known for sometimes being finicky. That's to say nothing of their typical premium price tag.

Objectively speaking from a purely performance based standpoint the 1911 is outclassed by a large never of more modern designs.

Despite all that there is still something to be said for the classics. 1911 is a fine gun. I enjoy owning and shooting onw myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911 and .45ACP killed many enemies of the United States

So has malaria. So what?

Glock kids keep saying that, but fail to back it up. Outclassed how? Other then mag capacity, where is the 1911 outclassed by anything?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The greatest shooting experience on the planet is a 5in government model launching 230gr ball out of 7rd mags. Its magical.
View Quote

No the greatest shooting experience on the planet is hearing the "CLANG" of a steel plate 4+ seconds after pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#25]
"I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46."  

'.45 because shooting twice is silly."  Ok got those out of the way.  

Its just a nice heavy minimal recoil gun.  It has stood the test of time as a venerable combat weapon design for over 100 years.  That says something.  

Mine is not my go to gun but damn if it is not a fucking tack driver.  And one of the previous posters is right.  Every new shooter I have taken out especially women have loved it and wanted to go with some version of it usually.

Its just Sexy.  

" />
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I love my 1911. It's got an amazing trigger, incredibly accurate, naturally points exactly where you want it to.

... But I carry modern firearms. If I want to carry a .45, it's a HK45C. The 1911 is mainly a range toy. It's not that I have a problem carrying the 1911, I just trust the HK45C more.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Good:
70 series had the sweetest trigger I've ever diddled with my finger. Smooth and broke like glass. Really showed me what, "let it surprise you," meant. It's a no brainer for bulls eye shooting.
Feels nice in your hand. Metal and balance. The low capacity single stack means that you can really wrap your hand around it for the proverbial "fist full of steel." The safety is in EXACTLY the right spot. Everything about it feels natural.
There's something about the proportions of the muzzle. The thin barrel wall makes the bore look huge or something. When you point a modern gun at someone they focus on your hands or eyes. When you point a 1911 at someone their eyes get big and focus on the muzzle. Things come to a screeching halt. There's a certain gravity to looking down the business end of a 1911 that commands attention and respect.

The reality:
They need to be tuned. And re-tuned if the temperature or humidity changes. Tuned like a car with breaker points. When's the last time you set dwell or adjusted carburetor screws with a tach and vacuum gauge?
They need to be polished, stroked, fluffed, and prayed over to feed properly, and when they don't feed it's always the magazine's fault. You have to shoot the crap out of it, all the time, with expensive ammo, in order to have faith that it's going to work when you need it. Meaning, if it isn't constantly tested, then you have no idea whether it's in-tune enough to work.

No matter which pricey, high maintenance, big named 1911, ammo, and mags you buy ... they can't run reliably at a class. Even with spot maintenance cleanings during the breaks. All of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM go down. Meanwhile every out-of-the-box Glock or XD that hasn't been cleaned in 5 years feeds and fires every time and never goes down at a class.

For all their charm and magnificence, they have simply been eclipsed in both design and material science. They excel in some corner cases, but when you need a no-nonsense, reliable, commuter pistol that you can beat the crap out of, neglect, and still depend on .... 1911 doesn't inhabit the solution space.

View Quote

Posts like this are one reason people pay attention to join dates.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i'll tell you this...

I have taken dozens, if not hundreds of people to the range for introductions to pistol shooting with 3/4 being women in the healthcare field. when I go I take a wide selection of handguns. without a doubt there are 2 that they fall in love with. those are:

S&W 4 inch 66

those are always the 2 they that ask to shoot a second time or to shoot more of.
they will shoot the Glocks, Beretta's, the Sig's,  442 S&W and Buckmark .22's but they always want more of the 66 and 1911.
View Quote

I don't have the smith, but it's the 1911s and my Browning Nomad that are most requested. That trend runs the gamut of people from kids to women to tough guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#30]

I have a 5" (Springfield Loaded MC Operator), a 4" (Springfield Loaded Champion), and a 3.5" (Colt Lightweight Officer's ACP) and have yet to experience a failure or malfunction of any kind with any of them.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was gonna get all jingoistic and shill for the Texas company.  Then I looked at SVI's website.    

God I love this state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to try one of those STI double-stack 9mm raceguns just to see what they're like.

SVI Infinity >> STI anything

I was gonna get all jingoistic and shill for the Texas company.  Then I looked at SVI's website.    

God I love this state.

if you're in the DFW area, then come join me at the range sometime...
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I love the 1911. It just points naturally for me and is quite comfortable in the hand. Most of the people I've seen having problems shooting one limp wrist it, then they wonder why they are jam-o-matics. As stated earlier, I've been out shooting with novices, shooting .22/38/357/9/45 and a lot of ladies light up a bit when they start shooting the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Good:

The reality:

I knew I should have joined in 04 when I found arfcom while on Oki.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Best trigger hands down.
View Quote

This is really the only redeeming feature.

Weight, low capacity, fucky grip safety, can be unreliable if you don't stick to the original USGI specs, .45 doesn't do anything a modern 9mm hollowpoint won't, etc.

*shrug*

I used to carry 1911s.

I carry 9mm Glocks now.     With a decent trigger job the Glock trigger more than gets the job done.

Are they as fun to shoot at paper targets on a one-way range?  No, the 1911 with its glass rod trigger is best for target shooting in large calibers.    

For self-defense?  I won't carry one again (unless forced to through necessity).

They are obsoleted by more modern handguns.    Anyone who says otherwise is selling something or is stuck in the past.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I like 1911s. Started shooting idpa in highschool with a SA milspec, which was my first carry gun a few years later. Ive also had a SA loaded champion that I carried a LOT. I put over 10k rounds through the milspec and half that through the loaded. Ive had a few malfs here and there. Usually after a they were filthy and they were easily cleared and few and far between.

I shoot glocks and berettas now but still see a malf here and there. If you can go 15k rounds with zero malfs Id be impressed.

All that said. I dont currently own a 1911.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Just got an Ed Brown a few months back - It's worth every fucking penny.

Quickly became my favorite.

Have a shitload of Sigs, all 3 legions, FN's, HK's...The Browny wins.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I was raised around 1911's.  When I was old enough to purchase my own weapons, I purchased the latest and greatest releases every few years.  Glocks, XD's, Sig, etc.  Eventually, I came full circle and went back to the 1911.  Now, it's mostly all I own.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#38]
1911s are pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hype and fuss? I think that we're well past the cut-off for any legitimate complaints about "hype" and "fuss." Would you question AC-130 gunships or Warthogs as "hype" and "fuss"? Probably not. Why not? Because their utility in battle is proven. The same goes for the 1911, only for a much longer period of time. Is it perfect and impervious to failure? No, nor is any other system. Is it the latest-greatest-bio-engineered-genetically-modified-carbon-fiber-ceramic-polymer-nano-technology-uber-wonder-finds-the-enemy-without-aiming gun? No, but it has repeatedly proven itself in action over many, many years. I don't know of another weapon system still in use (perhaps with the exception of artillery pieces) that has been around as long, has proven itself as many times, and is as basically unmodified in design as the 1911.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#40]
because. I don't know they're just fuckin awesome

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread is illustrating the hype...

They are beautiful and easy to shoot well. However, lots of pistols shoot well and have better capacity and reputations. I dig my TRP, but I shoot a Beretta 92, HK P30L, and USP 45 equally as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good ergonomics. Classic pistol. Capable of great accuracy after its been worked over (please nobody send a picture of their group at 7 yards with a stock gun and tell us it doesn't need to be worked).    If you could have just a couple pistols should it be your first choice in 2016 as a general duty or defense gun?  No, probably not.  I own four, love 'em  all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Good:

The reality:

massive pile of bullshit

My low-end RIA Tactical does not require that level of attention. I don't shoot for a living, sure, but it runs like a champ and pleases me and
everyone else who shoots it....just sayin'.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Super ergonomic.
Trigger makes bad shooters look decent. Makes good shooters look godlike.
Yuuge aftermarket. Build one whichever way you like.
MAN STOPPAH .45ACP
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I knew I should have joined in 04 when I found arfcom while on Oki.
View Quote

People who show their meddle get a pass on the date.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The grip angle is all wrong on 1911's and they simply don't carry enough ammo.  Add to that spotty magazines that fail and hit-and-miss reliability and you have serious problems.

I mean, its better that being completely unarmed but there are VASTLY better solutions out there.

I've carried  pistols from the jungles of the Bolivian Chapare to the hot Haitian summer tropical rains and I wouldn't trust anything other than P226's and Glock 17's. But hey, what do I know.  I'm sure some dude in his cozy basement polishing his 1911 knows better.

to each his own I guess.
View Quote

This.

In before " ermagerd muh grandpappy carried one in ww2 so it's the best gun ever"
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread is illustrating the hype...

They are beautiful and easy to shoot well. However, lots of pistols shoot well and have better capacity and reputations. I dig my TRP, but I shoot a Beretta 92, HK P30L, and USP 45 equally as well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I've seen a bunch of people show up to IPSC matches with guns other than a 1911 or glock. Most anybody who sticks with it winds up getting one of those two pistols. There are always a few oddballs who go for the CZ or something else. And there are a few cops who like to use their duty weapon and gear whatever that may be.

But, there's a reason 1911 style pistols rule USPSA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

13'rs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  They're not

13'rs

Is that all you got? Or will you actually prove why he's wrong?

Doubt it because most 1911 guys base what gun they like on emotions not facts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Ehrmagerd, some anonymous dude on the internet carried a Glock in Haiti, it's teh bestest pistol evah!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Weight, low capacity, fucky grip safety, can be unreliable if you don't stick to the original USGI specs, .45 doesn't do anything a modern 9mm hollowpoint won't, etc.

*shrug*

I used to carry 1911s.

I carry 9mm Glocks now.     With a decent trigger job the Glock trigger more than gets the job done.

Are they as fun to shoot at paper targets on a one-way range?  No, the 1911 with its glass rod trigger is best for target shooting in large calibers.    

For self-defense?  I won't carry one again (unless forced to through necessity).

They are obsoleted by more modern handguns.    Anyone who says otherwise is selling something or is stuck in the past.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best trigger hands down.

*shrug*

I used to carry 1911s.

+1
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top