Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!

Can't wait to follow this year's project guns!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He does have a point, dammit. Adults are bad like that.
However, I can easily see a role for Space Shuttle Door Gunner T-shirts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... however, at the risk of being a wet blanket, I am against the idea of  sneaking a "door gunner" into the model.  I've got no problem with the fictitious satellite, but I think the door gunner undermines a really cool and serious project.  Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it.  

Well, thanks Mr. Wetblanket.

I had the same thought. Put the Door Gunner patch/emblem on the left breast and fill the back with the rest.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Which shuttle name are you using or are you naming the shuttle after the school?
View Quote

I debated this a bit, and I think it will carry the same name as the submarine.  "PHSS Panther"   The kids will have to come up with a mission number and designation.

Naming it after the Challenger or Columbia just doesn't feel right.   With the fictional satellite, our model needs to be fictional as well.  It will probably have a Panther head somewhere on the tail, but we will try to keep all  the markings as similar to the real ones as possible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a good friend who is very good at building scale space shuttles. He has lots of documentation. I live close to NASA JSC, there they have a rocket park. I can get some pretty detailed pictures of the dismounted shuttle engines if you would like. They have a few sitting around.
View Quote

I may hit you up for something as we get started.   I think the diagram I posted above just might be enough to get accurate figures from.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]

wow

3rd page already

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I debated this a bit, and I think it will carry the same name as the submarine.  "PHSS Panther"   The kids will have to come up with a mission number and designation.

Naming it after the Challenger or Columbia just doesn't feel right.   With the fictional satellite, our model needs to be fictional as well.  It will probably have a Panther head somewhere on the tail, but we will try to keep all  the markings as similar to the real ones as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which shuttle name are you using or are you naming the shuttle after the school?

I couldn't agree more Guns.  But I think maybe something wall mounted in its permanent home with the crew members listed from both STS-51-L and STS-107 would be warranted.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Over on Grabcad, someone has published all the tile Outer Mold Line points for the exterior of the shuttle.  they've also done renderings of the point cloud.  the account for grabcad is free, or I can download the files and send them over if you like, just let me know

https://grabcad.com/library/space-shuttle-oml-outer-mold-line-1

ETA:

Also, nasa has fantastic educational outreach and would probably love a project like this and be willing to chase down drawings and other materials to make life easier

View Quote

Thank you!
I'll pass this along to the robotics teacher.   I'm hoping they can print a 3D model for us.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
IN!   Another thread of awesomeness!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any panther related exploration ships? http://www.spacefoundation.org/media/space-watch/how-space-shuttles-got-their-names
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What tools are you short of for this or future projects?
View Quote

We should be good right now, but If we need something.   I'll post it.  Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
PM me if you need any detail pics from Discovery at Udvar-Hazy
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more Guns.  But I think maybe something wall mounted in its permanent home with the crew members listed from both STS-51-L and STS-107 would be warranted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is already planned.   Should have some nice large banners or posters printed and laminated, and framed to honor them.  

I'm hoping the graphics dept can get kids to do a nice design for both crews.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
In for this one!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is already planned.   Should have some nice large banners or posters printed and laminated, and framed to honor them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have known that you'd already planned for that.  Excellent sir!  

Maybe something with their mission patches at the top above their names and the official crew photos below?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Gonna include the iPod?

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#15]
In keeping with the spirit of how the shuttles were named how about naming it Magellan?
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Have the perfect shuttle gun too
" />
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the unanticipated challenge with this one will be sifting out the most useful material from the vast amounts of reference material available.

Adding some reference photos and links

http://www.space.com/12080-space-shuttle-atlantis-construction-pictures-gallery.html.

http://scalemodelingdomain.blogspot.com/2015/02/part-3-orbiters-aft-main-enginesomsrcs.html

Inside the external tank during assembly:

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Muhfuggin' tag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
We're back to school already?

This is always fun!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
GUNS Thank you in advance

In for another awesome shirt/patch our what ever swag we can buy this time to support ya'll

Love my sub shirt

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Great photos.  

Yup.   More details always help.  That skin though........  

I see rivets, I see rivets everywhere.....     Not really, rivets, but if you were along for the submarine ride, you know what I'm referencing.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome project!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, So we have to start somewhere.

Like I did last year, I drew up a quick concept sketch for how we might go with this.   It isn't pretty, but it should allow the students to get an idea of where I think we should go with this.  It of course will get adjusted and modified.  

The numbers in the top left are a quick list of materials I will need to grab to get this underway.   The number in the top center 4.375 is the scale number from one of the print out's posted earlier.  I multiply that by a measurement in inches and that gives me the 1/12th measurement we need.  

The hanger positions will have to be adjusted when I get an idea of where the weight center is, and if we want this to cant at all.  Pretty sure an 11' 2x4 down the center will be a good place to start.  Might change that to a 2x6 for more rigidity, but I'm not sure it will be needed given the design.  Weight is always a factor.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Ni .
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Ni .
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]
FAAT!

Fuck, another awesome thread...
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#29]
In on 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I was at KSC for the last launch, looking forward to seeing you guys build this!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the Shuttle at the Air Museum by Dulles. Let me get them off my phone and I'll put them up here. If you want the full size pics let me know.
Here they are, I'll post more of them as I can. I took all these with my phone so they aren't the greatest but they do get a pretty good idea of the overall appearance of the Shuttle.
Starboard main tank connection port

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Awesome.  

I am not too far away from the Simthsonian's Udvar-Hazy facility, where they have the Discovery displayed - so if you need any photos at some point, I can run out there and take some for you.  

... however, at the risk of being a wet blanket, I am against the idea of  sneaking a "door gunner" into the model.  I've got no problem with the fictitious satellite, but I think the door gunner undermines a really cool and serious project.  Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it.  
View Quote

For Academia!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#33]
You should start to raise money through the T-shirt sales now
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If you need any pics or tech data that isn't still classified you can shoot me a PM and I might be able to find someone to help you out. Good luck! That's a very cool project!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You should start to raise money through the T-shirt sales now
View Quote

Well, first, I need to run that by the mighty Canadian and make sure the site is ok with another fundraiser like that.  

Thems the rules.

Second, I'm a little leary about fundraising till I know this thing is going to turn out well.  That may sound wierd, but I'm always a little anxious about how well these turn out.  

Third, I'm hoping to have another teacher take on the design part of that.  I'm not sure how quickly she can get on that.    

When those points are met.......we will have t-shirts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the Shuttle at the Air Museum by Dulles. Let me get them off my phone and I'll put them up here. If you want the full size pics let me know.
View Quote

Up close detailed photos are always welcomed!  Post'em up!  I've been snagging photos posted in this thread already.  They will be invaluable.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#38]
You will need an astronaut to visit too. Wyoming is one of the few states that has had no one who was born there, fly in space. They need some inspiration.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You will need an astronaut to visit too. Wyoming is one of the few states that has had no one who was born there, fly in space. They need some inspiration.
View Quote

The new Robotics teacher says he knows several and can have one come for the dedication.

We will see.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]

All these tiles are causing me some anxiety.

I'm running through my head how to do them right, and I don't like any of the options.

We could paint, then cut out tiles using the drawing board, then glue them individually,  although my son says I'd need a small army for that.  It would also add quite a bit more weight with basically two layers of the drawing board.

I could also have them draw on the light lines between the tiles.  With some airbrushing over top, it might look ok.  

I don't really like either option.  

The manpower for option one....   ugg.  It's probably possible.  Probably look the best.  Hmmm
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm running through my head how to do them right, and I don't like any of the options.

We could paint, then cut out tiles using the drawing board, then glue them individually,  although my son says I'd need a small army for that.  It would also add quite a bit more weight with basically two layers of the drawing board.

I could also have them draw on the light lines between the tiles.  With some airbrushing over top, it might look ok.  

The manpower for option one....   ugg.  It's probably possible.  Probably look the best.  Hmmm
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Score the lines on the one layer of drawing board. This will still give the visual effect but not require two layers. It will also make the drawing board easier to wrap in 3dimensions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah.....  I know.  

But the T-Shirt idea is awesome.   There may need to be more than one design.  

Also, I was just talking with the textiles teacher.  She really seems to like this idea, and I talked to her about making Mission Patches.   She thinks their embroidery machine will do this, complete with velcro on the back.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.....  I know.  

But the T-Shirt idea is awesome.   There may need to be more than one design.  

Also, I was just talking with the textiles teacher.  She really seems to like this idea, and I talked to her about making Mission Patches.   She thinks their embroidery machine will do this, complete with velcro on the back.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They are in basic trainging right now.  

No Spies.  All grown up and graduated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In on 2! You go guns and (do we have the) spies?!

They are in basic trainging right now.  

No Spies.  All grown up and graduated.
Maybe , but they have some awesome high school memories thanks to you.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#45]
These are some of the best threads in GD and have far and away become my favorites
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe have the tiles printed on some Heat shrink decal material, apply, heat and voila.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes!!!

Tagged subscribed liked etc.

Dis gon be gud.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Score the lines on the one layer of drawing board. This will still give the visual effect but not require two layers. It will also make the drawing board easier to wrap in 3dimensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.  It may work.  We will try it.  Painting with a roller should avoid the cracks giving the desired look, or we smear caulking in each hand crack...  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#49]
This will be a great one to follow, the peak of our Space Program. When I was growing up in school our teachers either took us to the cafeteria or wheeled in a tv to watch all the Moon landings and launches. It made me feel so proud then. I'm glad you are doing this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Find a full shot of the bottom of the shuttle, rasterbate it, and use it for the outlines. Put it ontop of posterboard, and score the lines thru it. Then paint flat black, and some airbrushing. Sounds easy, right
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top