BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Problem is solved.  Thank you for your response!  He's learning.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!!!  NO RESISTORS!  NO LINEAR VOLTAGE REGULATORS!

You are controlling those actuators with a microcontroller.   Hopefully not with mechanical relays.   If using a MOSFET or simlar, you need to tell your Robotics guys about PWM (Click link to know more on Pulse Width Modulation).   Simplest analogy - Old incandescent light bulb, you want it dimmer, you could add a resistor that gets hot without giving off light to dim it, but that's not optimal.   Turn the switch on and off about 10 times per second, and it stays dim.     Change the duty cycle (on time vs off time) for brightness.  Change the frequency (How fast you switch on/off) to match the load.

All a resistor or regulator will do is turn power into heat, and will die at some point.  So you have a fire risk for no reason, in addition to wasting power (the Voltage Regulator solution also turns to heat, unless you use a switching regulator).

What is the control board, programming language, and switching method of the actuators?   I can draw a schematic and provide code for functioning PWM Motor control.  (which can also control the speed of actuators from ominous to speedy, I thought it was already being done....)   It will just be a Low side N-Mosfet w/heatsink for each actuator, control frequency around 40kHz.

Random Google result #2

Problem is solved.  Thank you for your response!  He's learning.  

They are now perfectly in-sync
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This is pretty normal for Clark, just about 25 miles W. of us, and where several of my students and shuttle techs, including one of my lead techs live.  

Weather warning statement tonight.  Check out those speeds...
WINDS...West 30 to 40 mph with gusts 60 to 70 mph. Some areas
near the foothills, especially around Clark could gust over
100 mph. At 320 PM, an 118 mph wind gust occurred at Clark. An
87 mph wind gust occurred along highway 120, about 8 miles
south of Clark at 3 pm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is pretty normal for Clark, just about 25 miles W. of us, and where several of my students and shuttle techs, including one of my lead techs live.  

View Quote
118 is major hurricane speed.  I know you said gust, but DAMN!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
An 87 mph wind gust occurred along highway 120, about 8 miles south of Clark at 3 pm.
View Quote

Whichever ARFCOMmer is controlling the weather up there, cut guns a break, will ya?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes a very special kind of person to live in Clark WY.  

There is WY wind, then there is Clark WY wind.  It's a monumental difference.  Beautiful, if you like rocks and wind, and by wind, I mean hurricane force regularly.  Right at the base of Clarks Fork Canyon, and the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone river.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whoa.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had a couple 88 mph gusts about a mile from my house.  3 straight weeks of this crap...  I'm over it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Kind of a cool chance for the Math department came up yesterday.   I hope they take advantage of it.  

I was walking down the hall and passing a Math room, and I could hear the teacher talking about "resistance, amperage, and other electrical terms, I know little about."  I stopped by at the end of the period and told him we were dealing with exactly that right now with the space shuttle, just a few yards down the hall, and that they were welcome to do down and help solve some real world problems with our project.   I ordered a new voltage regulator for my son, (because he thought he should have his own, and didn't want to borrow another students), and told the math teacher they were welcome to use it for experiments with the shuttle actuator motors.  

He seemed interested.   Hopefully, those kids will get a chance to put the math to some real world testing.   Seems like it would cement the concepts pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Well, more learning is taking place.

Someone's genius Robotics son may have used the wrong wire throughout the shuttle, and it may all have to come out and be replaced.  

Luckily, we anticipated such action and none of the conduit is glued yet.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
At least the wire is already in place, just tie new wire to old and pull  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At least the wire is already in place, just tie new wire to old and pull  
View Quote

Good idea.  Hopefully there is enough movement in the conduit to allow it.   It's pretty tight right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Too bad about that clock being there, it kind'a ruins the effect (probably a safe bet they won't let you take it down and put a plate over
the junction box).
Other than that, looks pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone's genius Robotics son may have used the wrong wire throughout the shuttle, and it may all have to come out and be replaced.  

View Quote

It is not too late to strap that boy into the cargo hold so he can work the doors manually.

At a minimum it should be floated as the next best solution should he have another contract overrun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Too bad about that clock being there, it kind'a ruins the effect (probably a safe bet they won't let you take it down and put a plate over
the junction box).
View Quote

Clock will move.  Battery power.  No box.  We will move it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It is not too late to strap that boy into the cargo hold so he can work the doors manually.

At a minimum it should be floated as the next best solution should he have another contract overrun.
View Quote

I like this plan.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like this plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this plan.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Update 2/10

Yesterday limit switches were starting to get installed, but we only have two and need four.   We had to order some from Amazon, as the store formally known as Radio Shack  only had the two.  

All that wiring....yeah......coming out in a few hours.

Some railings going up

Accented red on the ports of the thrusters

Also a bit along the sides....

We darkened the back tiles of the cowlings, and lightened the front of the blankets on the cowlings.  Also lightened the front edge of the tail tiles.

Panther on the internal door surface, and one of the Canadarm pieces.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the junction box).

See if you can take the clear cover off and air brush the face to look like the moon, and put it back up.  It would look pretty sweet if you could pull it off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Wiring got all replaced this afternoon.

Not a lot of fun for the 4 students who handled it.  They did it right, and Robotics should be all set to get everything hooked back up.  

IKON got a nice little boost of manpower and progress today. New crew members should start knocking that out next week.

Our murals are quickly progressing.  I'm  not sure about the transition from Earth to the non painted "249" area.  I'm going to have to give that some thought over the weekend.  Hopefully,  it won't take my sleep like the project did last night.  

Reagan's last couple lines will go above "Hawkins" in white letters next week.

I'd like to go 360 black all the way around the room on the lower portion below the autumn leaf color.  Hopefully we will have time to do that this year.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread never fails to put a smile on my face as another long week wraps up.

It really looks fantastic. Do you have a dedication date set yet for it?

Anything else you guys need as you close in on the finish line?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This thread never fails to put a smile on my face as another long week wraps up.

It really looks fantastic. Do you have a dedication date set yet for it?

Anything else you guys need as you close in on the finish line?
View Quote

I wish I had a clear date.  

The cables are almost done, but we are checking on a couple things.

The Canadarm pieces will be a mini install project once the fuselage is hung.  I'm not sure how long all that will take. This is going to be one of those projects where the dedication will seem forever off, then all of the sudden seem like the perfect time.  

Most students working on the shuttle will transition to taxidermy next week.  A few essential people will continue to get the final details finished up, and a few will work on IKON.  The murals will continue to ramp up in manpower.

I think we have everything we need right now, Thank You!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I never thought about them using it for all the subsequent missions, but it certainly became synonymous with Challenger.  I can't imagine that anyone around the SS project could hear that phrase without holding their breath on all future missions.
View Quote

They actually do something similar on a lot of the unmanned missions too.  The same phenomenon (Max pressure) affects just about all rockets.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's learning.  A big part of any future engineer / scientists / any profession really is learning from failures.  This was a minor one that won't hurt anyone, and with some extra time and hard work is fixed.  Bet he double checks his wir gages from here on out!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:01:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The rivets on the nose look good.

Do the wings match?  
View Quote

On the edges, of course.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I love these threads.

You can see it go from a rough form to the OMG IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE SHUTTLE.

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
See if you can take the clear cover off and air brush the face to look like the moon, and put it back up.  It would look pretty sweet if you could pull it off.
View Quote

This is a good idea.  If it can't be painted then how about taking a Photo of the full moon and size it to the clock face and glue it on?

EBR
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks Guns, Spies, and CREW.  Your threads always give me hope for the future.  Amazing teachers, admin, and students.  

So, when are the smoke generators getting installed???  
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love these threads.

You can see it go from a rough form to the OMG IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE SHUTTLE.

View Quote

I realized how much progress they've made when I was skimming through the thread and saw one of the latest pictures of the nozzles on Guns' shuttle and thought, "Oh, that's a great angle. That will be really helpful picture for the kids as they work on theirs. . . OH!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Update 2/13

IKON got a few more details as far as texture.

The Canadarm got some nice work done to it today.  We started with some mounting brackets that we can easily put on and take off after we hang the fuselage.

One side,

Then the other,

There were a lot of questions about these going on....

Hooking everything up for preliminary testing again after the wiring change.

We decided the entire bottom area needs to be black, so the poem was painted over today and will be repainted tomorrow in white.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I realized how much progress they've made when I was skimming through the thread and saw one of the latest pictures of the nozzles on Guns' shuttle and thought, "Oh, that's a great angle. That will be really helpful picture for the kids as they work on theirs. . . OH!"
View Quote

Awesome compliment.  I'll be sure to share that with students.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks Guns, Spies, and CREW.  Your threads always give me hope for the future.  Amazing teachers, admin, and students.  

So, when are the smoke generators getting installed???  
View Quote

Compressed air in a can with small straws out the front OMEs would be soooo cool.  The students were dreaming about this on Friday.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Update 2/13

We decided the entire bottom area needs to be black, so the poem was painted over today and will be repainted tomorrow in white.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3724/32073714773_01f32e5f45_h.jpg
View Quote

Frame the poem with a porthole.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Would something like this help, or can you make the existing one into something like this?

www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y0PTXW
View Quote

That is really cool.

I'm not sure we can do anything with our clock, I haven't looked at it yet.  It's an atomic clock, but very basic.  I'll have to look and see if we can get the front off of it.

If so, the "Moon" idea might be possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#37]
That's a heck of an idea! 

And that black wall definitely needs a moon clock:  Moon Clock
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It glows in the dark....  

But the lights are motion activated.....no one would ever see it glow.....  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Update 2/13

IKON got a few more details as far as texture.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2446/32847677576_0b28630a86_h.jpg

The Canadarm got some nice work done to it today.  We started with some mounting brackets that we can easily put on and take off after we hang the fuselage.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/608/32073730463_cdc3d1923c_h.jpg
One side,
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2750/32073725643_47427ed4b0_h.jpg
Then the other,
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2899/32847673666_21a68d492f_h.jpg

There were a lot of questions about these going on....
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2557/32847670776_67307301e0_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2440/32847663946_05c53da7b4_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/585/32045845654_ba8e0059c2_h.jpg

Hooking everything up for preliminary testing again after the wiring change.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2616/32073720753_3b4cf1d481_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3724/32073714773_01f32e5f45_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2793/32888440225_1a4655e8ec_h.jpg 
View Quote
You made a fantastic call by painting it all black
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#41]

While they're painting black, any chance of them cleaning up the odd curvature at the very highest point of the earth?  The sharp transition at the apogee (if that's the right term) draws my attention every time I see it in the pics.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

While they're painting black, any chance of them cleaning up the odd curvature at the very highest point of the earth?  The sharp transition at the apogee (if that's the right term) draws my attention every time I see it in the pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
Update 2/13

<a href="https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2793/32888440225_1a4655e8ec_h.jpg" target="_blank">https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2793/32888440225_1a4655e8ec_h.jpg</a>

They fixed a little of it yesterday, but the cloud on the right really messed it up.    Once they go back with the airbrush on the edge, we should be able to get it correct.   It's driving everyone nuts here too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Update 2/14

Most students have moved on to new projects, and alost all of them had to sit through some demonstrations today, so not a lot was accomplished.

My team leaders are working on the arm details.

They are making 8 of these.  They will have silk coverings and other details

The mural 249 getting redrawn, with a little adjustment to position.  

I think they worked a bit more on the center right portion that looks flat.  I missed getting a picture after that was done.

Just a bit more dirt on the top of the doors, and along the wing attachment of the fuselage.  
]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#44]
This was taken by a student.  I think they were having a good time today.  Not sure if they were on task as much as I would have liked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You made a fantastic call by painting it all black
View Quote

Suddenly I have a song stuck in my head by the Rolling Stones....
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have started a moon clock.  Not sure how successful we will be and we might have wrecked a clock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We have started a moon clock.  Not sure how successful we will be and we might have wrecked a clock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good man; no guts, no glory!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#48]

I wanted you to know, I did present this to the artist, and we discussed it a bit, but the size required, or the minimizing of the poem to get it down sized didn't fit the area well.

I liked your idea a lot, it just isn't going to fit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wanted you to know, I did present this to the artist, and we discussed it a bit, but the size required, or the minimizing of the poem to get it down sized didn't fit the area well.

I liked your idea a lot, it just isn't going to fit.
View Quote

Oh, well. Art is sacrifice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The custodian was the most concerned about the clock.  He wanted me to play with a broken one.....  

I told him, no, it had to work.

He's worried we won't be able to tell time at the end.  I really don't care, as long as the hands move correctly.    We may add numbers, but I'm thinking we may just leave them all blank.  

I walked by the Principals office and told him I'd hijacked a clock and it probably would be destroyed, but would look cool.  He just thumbed up the idea.  
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top