Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 11:21:43 AM EDT
... or any other smartphone with geotagging capabilities.

Disable your phones GPS geotagging settings.

I can't tell you how many pics are posted here with the GPS coordinates attached directing you straight to your house, range, etc.

For an iPhone go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Camera > Never.

Don't know the process for other phones, someone else is more than welcome to chime in with that info.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Info thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I tag mine on purpose (it's handy) and only sanitize the house and work ones before sharing online. I don't care if you know where my range is.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Or upload to a host like imgur that scrubs EXIF data before posting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I tag mine on purpose (it's handy) and only sanitize the house and work ones before sharing online. I don't care if you know where my range is.
View Quote

You're smarter than the average bear, technically speaking.

Browsing through the pic threads on my Mac w/ a Chrome EXIF viewer extension and it's scary. Folks' homes are just a click away.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That too, but some of the popular sites don't.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't even realize mine was on, just turned it off. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Exhibit A:

Hover over the image, click the red GPS button:

And boom... GPS coordinates on Google Maps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I always have it on because I want my personal photos tagged, but Imgur wipes it automatically.

I've IM'ed a couple people when they've posted a dinner pic with GPS, but there are too many. Good thread OP.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. I always have it on because I want my personal photos tagged, but Imgur wipes it automatically.

I've IM'ed a couple people when they've posted a dinner pic with GPS, but there are too many. Good thread OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just check out the damn safe pic thread.

Guys are posting the exact location of some expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Does tinypic scrub location?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#11]
For Android phones, you generally open the Camera app, go to settings, and look for the "Location tags" entry. Set it to off.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does tinypic scrub location?
View Quote

Nope:

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the reminder I picked up a new phone a few weeks ago and didn't even think of it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been using Photobucket to post pics and I set it to scramble the data.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks OP! Just made the change.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't tell you how many pics are posted here with the GPS coordinates attached directing you straight to your house, range, etc.

Don't know the process for other phones, someone else is more than welcome to chime in with that info.
View Quote

iPhone 6 here- Under location services I have a camera tab and a photo tab. There is not a "never" option.
Under the camera tab it just shows Apps that request location services. Same under the photo tab.  All those are off.  
I always keep location services off except when using " Waze".  

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you using to see that blue bar with the red Gps tab?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The EXIF Viewer extension for Chrome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/exif-viewer/nafpfdcmppffipmhcpkbplhkoiekndck?hl=en

Other photo apps and programs can also read the photos data. This one is handy for photography websites though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Another related bit of info:   Gmail users.   If you email a picture using gmail, Google hangs onto that picture until (A) the heat death of the universe or (B) when they choose not to for whatever reason.   You cannot gmail a pic, delete the sent mail, delete the received mail on the other end, and expect the picture to be gone.   Google now has it for as long as they feel like.  

This is entirely independent of keeping copies of the emails themselves, and there are things you can do in your gmail client, or a recipients gmail client, to get the pictures to display again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you OP. I knew IPotato  had the GPS but always scrubbed it online before posting.

Didn't even think to change settings...
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Already off but thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of the first things I did because of where I travel for my job.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Another related bit of info:   Gmail users.   If you email a picture using gmail, Google hangs onto that picture until (A) the heat death of the universe or (B) when they choose not to for whatever reason.   You cannot gmail a pic, delete the sent mail, delete the received mail on the other end, and expect the picture to be gone.   Google now has it for as long as they feel like.  

This is entirely independent of keeping copies of the emails themselves, and there are things you can do in your gmail client, or a recipients gmail client, to get the pictures to display again.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure Google has the ability to log our thoughts at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top