Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2016 2:43:38 PM EDT

One of the two groups I volunteer with has a couple of German Shepherds that are in need of a good home. I don't get to volunteer as much as I like, but I love working with these two when I can. I think they were bred together at the same puppy mill, but don't know that for certain.

Jennifer has been adopted.

Ronin, above, has been really good with people, not nearly as shy as Jennifer. Like all of our puppy mill rescues, they will both benefit greatly from training classes.

Neither of these two should go to homes with other dogs; Ronin should be the only pet in the home. Unfortunately, he doesn't do well with cats. With strong training, the aggression towards other dogs can be gotten rid of. Thankfully, these two are still fairly young, and haven't suffered many of the seriously negative health problems associated with a life in puppy mills.

The wife and I are going to look at another GSD, Peace, tomorrow, and see if she will blend in with our family of dogs and cats.

ETA: Jennifer went to her new home yesterday, but Ronin still needs a home.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking GSD's.  Unfortunately I have two other dags.  Hopefully someone here can help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice looking GSD's.  Unfortunately I have two other dags.  Hopefully someone here can help.
View Quote

I would have snatched them both up as soon as I got there, but for that problem. But we never give up on the dogs at the facility. Raven, a Rotweiller, just got her home after over 2 years with the facility.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Good looking dogs,  I have a GSD now that needs a friend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Someone experienced with training GSDs, and having the time to give their training dedication, could get them rehabbed to be with other dogs fairly quickly.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
ah man I would take one but I already have an intact male
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to mention; these do not need to be local rescues. I'd also be glad to help with any transportation to states bordering CO, like what Joker does with his Semper Fi Rescue.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Good looking dogs, and a bump
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Great looking dogs!   We looked into to a rescue GSD, but the loops that we need to jump through were nuts.  

Reminder- GSD need their minds and bodies worked.   Do not expect these to just snuggle up on the couch for hours on end.  (Unless you just took them on a triathalon.)
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Damnit, wish I could take both. I ready have 3 though. I will be glad to kick in some money for gas or something to get these 2 dogs placed though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good looking dogs, and a bump
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If only I did not have a dog that does not like other alpha dogs.  Very good looking dogs.  I have always wanted a GSD.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Just north of you in the panhandle.  How would either of these two be with small kids?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just north of you in the panhandle.  How would either of these two be with small kids?
View Quote

It would be best to contact the shelter directly for that answer. But, I have seen them with young teens, and they were fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Another bump. Would really like to get these dogs a home.

Got word from one of the permanent staff, that they think that Jennifer could be rehabbed into being around other dogs.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
my GSD, chocolate lab, and cane corso wanted me to give you a bump!  Good luck
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

my GSD, chocolate lab, and cane corso wanted me to give you a bump!  Good luck
View Quote

Thanks! We also have a 1yo female Redbone Coonhound in the facility. The wife fell in love with her, but with the way our land is set up, she'd disappear the first time she saw a coon or jack rabbit.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Terminator GSD bump.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn I would love to adopt one but my dag is old a shit and he really doesn't get along with other dogs since his buddy died.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Someone experienced with training GSDs, and having the time to give their training dedication, could get them rehabbed to be with other dogs fairly quickly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I had the time. I'm an experienced trainer a d have my own GSD. How old are they?

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Terminator GSD bump.

<a href="http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/flytosail3/media/4556EA99-8F4A-4D62-B9DC-D95BC319B2F4_zpsjmkpgk6a.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/4556EA99-8F4A-4D62-B9DC-D95BC319B2F4_zpsjmkpgk6a.png</a>
View Quote

always liked that pic.     1984  circa.   wow
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I had to put down my 11yr old female GSD on Jul 16th, couldn't walk anymore because of hip displacia.

Jenny Jenny Jenny is beautiful but I won't know if I can walk a dog until after I get a spinal cord stimulator next month.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I had to put down my 11yr old female GSD on Jul 16th, couldn't walk anymore because of hip displacia.

Jenny Jenny Jenny is beautiful but I won't know if I can walk a dog until after I get a spinal cord stimulator next month.

View Quote

Right now, she's really shy. Brought me to tears yesterday, to see how she's responding in the kennel. She'll bounce back once she gets a home. Where do you live, maybe I could help out.

Jennifer is just under 6 years old, and I believe Ronin is just over 6.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in kolorado and my parents live in MI. I can shuttle by Festivus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Bump. I'm surprised how little movement this is getting. They're two great dogs, and excellent examples of GSDs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Zorgie bumps the thread with his stick.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Trying to get a lady on fb to get serious about rehoming  her gsd she posted about the other day.  He woild be my second rescue gsd and would be an awesome addition to the family.  So..... bump
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#28]
ours dropped dead at 13 months. yelped and keeled over dead.  wish i were in a position to have another, as i really miss him. he was one hell of a good and smart dog. more person than dog!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Thanks, Zorgie!

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Saturday bump. I'll be at the shelter, volunteering, in a bit. If anyone has questions, or wants more photos, let me know.

I'm not giving up on these two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Wish I could help, we volunteer and foster rescue dogs here in North Fort Worth. We are currently at 5 little ankle biters who were supposed to be temporary fosters but somehow became family members and stayed. We still foster one at a time, though, if the situation is critical and the dog is about to be put down. My house is wrecked, but it comes with the territory - I am putting in $12K worth of hardwood style tile next month so the little lady can continue to do God's work. Some of these poor, poor animals just need a helping hand and a good, loving home. The abusive pet owners make me so mad I would love to treat them the same way they treated the dogs, and I can't understand how some could treat animals in the ways we've seen.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks, JarHead. Funny, we're doing the exact same thing with our house, the hardwood looking tile, without grout joints. Stuff looks amazing. Our rescue Frenchie just won't go out when its cold.

ETA: Next time I'm in Ft Worth, I'll buy the beer!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Neither of these two should go to homes with other dogs; Ronin should be the only pet in the home. Unfortunately, he doesn't do well with cats. With strong training, the aggression towards other dogs can be gotten rid of. Thankfully, these two are still fairly young, and haven't suffered many of the seriously negative health problems associated with a life in puppy mills.

View Quote

Bummer, was already thinking about driving up next week by the time I got to this part.

Millie on the right, could use a friend after we had to put Jack down in spring.  A GSD is on my list to have bond with my daughter.

Bump for dags.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Update: Jennifer goes to her new home tomorrow!!!

Ronin still needs a home. Worked really well with me this morning.

If you look at the site, Onyx and Shiloh, are the parents of the girl we're adopting. They need homes as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#35]
The wife worked with a local GSD rescue for a long time.  She was arranging transport legs around mid South quite a bit.
We had a GSD for a long time that we had to put down because of cancer. We finally decided to take in one of the rescue pups. Athena is an extremely smart pup. We got her at 3 months old. She is right at 5 months old now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]
If Ronin gets a home and needs transportation through northeastern Colorado I might be able to provide a lift.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#37]
General dog question for rescue. How big a fenced in yard?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't do the evaluations for our group, but I don't think that there is a set requirement. Depends on the dog, and probably more the height of the fence. Their not going to care if you have a 3ft fence, if you're wanting to adopt a Chihuahua, but would if you wanted a husky. Make sense?

What sort of fence/hard situation do you have?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I would in a heartbeat if I could.  I love the breed.  I clicked this thread saying to myself "Lord, better not be in CO.." But I've got one dag already and no room for another.  Someday when the ranch is built I'm going to have a rescue or foster home.

Bump for a couple of beautiful dogs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Bump from the proud father of a female GSD. Best dog/companion you could ever have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
bump........because GSD's r important.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
ARFCOM loves Pit/ Shepard mixes

" />
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't do the evaluations for our group, but I don't think that there is a set requirement. Depends on the dog, and probably more the height of the fence. Their not going to care if you have a 3ft fence, if you're wanting to adopt a Chihuahua, but would if you wanted a husky. Make sense?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the height, that's capped by law at 6 feet, it's the square footage or length/ width of the enclosure. We don't have a fence, and it seems to be required by all rescue shelters with no specs given, but they do a home inspection. Well, to put in a fence, I need a building permit. And a diagram of the proposed fence. And a copy of the deed to my house, contractors insurance, flow charts, noterizations, bank account balances,... Ok not all that, just enough to give you the chance to say "move to a free state", and I can't.

Kid just wants a dog, fer heaven's sake!

So if my home inspection says it's too small, another go round with the imperial building inspection directorate. My yard is about an acre, but the town has setbacks, and if I want to go near the property line it's another mess with having a survey done, front can only be 2.5 feet high, etc. so smaller and just in the back yard is better.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like a deal situation, for sure. But, any dog really should have a fenced yard.

I don't have much experience with the underground electronic fences, but that might be a possibility. Check with your local rescues to see what they say. You might also see if temporary fence panels might be allowed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Right now, she's really shy. Brought me to tears yesterday, to see how she's responding in the kennel. She'll bounce back once she gets a home. Where do you live, maybe I could help out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In Colo Spgs.  I see the Doc on monday for the spinal cord stimulator trial consult then another 10-21 days to set up the procedure.  However it works out, I don't think I can handle another male GSD, my Rocky Turbo's Pride was a frickin' hyper nutcase.    But he would "out" midair.  Flunked out of Patrol K9 School because he wouldn't remain in Sit-Stay long enough for handler to contact a subject...he had to be constantly by his handler's side.   And they couldn't break him of howling at sirens.    Like I said, a nutcase but that dog even after just a few days being with me, wouldn't let anything happen to me.    

Maybe after I get my situation figured out I'll get another female GSD, I went 4 weeks after my Rocky went before I got Shebah-Sue. She was named "Shebah" by some owner before me, but from being kicked, abused, whatever else she went thru, her ears never had a chance to perk up.  So Shebah-Sue fit her.  Ten years, never any trouble other than nipping at a Mormon, just a bag of dogfood every 5 weeks and some MilkBones,  she would sleep along the back of my leg, any movement she'd be looking to see what's up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds like a deal situation, for sure. But, any dog really should have a fenced yard.

I don't have much experience with the underground electronic fences, but that might be a possibility. Check with your local rescues to see what they say. You might also see if temporary fence panels might be allowed.
View Quote

We lookes into GSD rescues and the list of requirment was not only endless, they could reclaim the dog at any time.   I do not believe in reincarnation, but if you come back as a dog; you want to come back as dog living with Mrs. Surf and myself.  

Zorgie again bumps the thread.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Hope we can get Ronin a home.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#48]
My GSD gives a bump. Good luck, Ronin & Jennifer.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Bump, come on, someone must be able to take a solitary dog!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#50]
damn, if he got along with my Heelers, Id take him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top