User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
70s Flashback:

Galliano is now sold in small "nip" sizes.  You don't have to buy a big bottle of Galliano anymore, which means it is time to dust off your Harvey Wallbanger recipe:

Traditionally it is 3 parts vodka, 1 part Galliano, 6 parts orange juice.  Garnish with orange slice and a marischino cherry.

Stir with a coke spoon.

Personally I prefer only a hint of Galliano, but that is me.

Stay Groovy, My Friends.
View Quote

LOL! How old are you?  My parents, Grandparents , Aunts and Uncles usually had a bottle of Galliano on the counter and yes I have had it many times.

They made Grasshoppers too. Mom made a killer Grasshopper pie.

BUT, us teenagers we were drinking Tequila/Tequila sunrise, Whiskey and beer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

LOL! How old are you?  My parents, Grandparents , Aunts and Uncles usually had a bottle of Galliano on the counter and yes I have had it many times.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
70s Flashback:

Galliano is now sold in small "nip" sizes.  You don't have to buy a big bottle of Galliano anymore, which means it is time to dust off your Harvey Wallbanger recipe:

Traditionally it is 3 parts vodka, 1 part Galliano, 6 parts orange juice.  Garnish with orange slice and a marischino cherry.

Stir with a coke spoon.

Stay Groovy, My Friends.

LOL I learned to make Harvey Wallbangers as nobody said "hey, what happened to all of the Galliano?"...like, ever.  I love to find the ancient and abandoned liquors that haunt the back of people's liquor cabinets.  I call it "liquid archaeology".

I found an exquisite bottle of Calvados that way.  "Oh that nasty stuff?  I think my mother used that to make an apple cake once.  You can have it!"

One of the oddest was a liquor made of Marula fruit from Africa.  I guess you have to be careful when elephants get into the marula fruit.  They love to eat the partially fermented drops from the trees and get pretty smashed on it.  I understand a herd of drunken elephants is dangerous beyond belief.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hulls export was .99 cents.

And I was 19 and kicking ass making shit money and out of my parents house. Sharing a 3rd floor walkup rent with 2 of my best buddies for $325 a month. Living on macaroni tuna and eggs. It was fantastic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cigarettes were 45¢ a pack, beer was $1.99 a six, and interest rates on mortgages were 16%.

Hulls export was .99 cents.

And I was 19 and kicking ass making shit money and out of my parents house. Sharing a 3rd floor walkup rent with 2 of my best buddies for $325 a month. Living on macaroni tuna and eggs. It was fantastic.

The store beside my apartment would run sales on PBR and Old Milwaukee for 99¢ a six pack.

The payment on my 78 Nova was $89
My apartment rent was $120
The electric bill was between $15 and $30
The water bill was $6
I made $3.35 an hour as a draftsman.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Galliano, peppermint schnapps, topped with flaming 151 rum. We called them Moosehead Hummers. Tasted like a peppermint patty.
Yo would also wake up the next day scratching your antlers, your head hurt so bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Plenty of reasons. If "chicks shaving their vagina's" is your only criteria on judging an era, you should grow up some.

AND,  the women were a little different then. The clothes they wore were sexy without being slutty. Mini skirts were hot. Women wore way less make-up and you got a good idea what they would look like "in the morning" VS. today when make-up can momentarily transform a dog into something more attractive.

No severe stupid haircuts...... long natural hair was pretty much the norm.  No "look at me" purple and green hair.  No stupid piercings or anything to screw up a nice face.

Women acted like women and they didn't have anything to prove.

Plenty of natural wholesome beauty on display.  No freaks and geeks like you see today.

That's just a little about the women.

Everything else was way better too.  Society, general well being, most of the country didn't lock their homes or cars, no political correctness with dozens of new "genders" being created, etc.  It was a MUCH better time for our country in every way.

Only low point was the Presidency of Carter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicks shave their vagina's now.  No reason to go backwards to a worse time.

Plenty of reasons. If "chicks shaving their vagina's" is your only criteria on judging an era, you should grow up some.

AND,  the women were a little different then. The clothes they wore were sexy without being slutty. Mini skirts were hot. Women wore way less make-up and you got a good idea what they would look like "in the morning" VS. today when make-up can momentarily transform a dog into something more attractive.

No severe stupid haircuts...... long natural hair was pretty much the norm.  No "look at me" purple and green hair.  No stupid piercings or anything to screw up a nice face.

Plenty of natural wholesome beauty on display.  No freaks and geeks like you see today.

Everything else was way better too.  Society, general well being, most of the country didn't lock their homes or cars, no political correctness with dozens of new "genders" being created, etc.  It was a MUCH better time for our country in every way.

forgot one....tattoos on a woman were unheard of....no tramp stamps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Graduated college May 6, 1978
Reported to Infantry Officers Basic Course May 12, 1978

Sent to Germany Nov 1978

So, I had a GF then that pestered me to take her to see "Grease."  No, not seeing Grease.  I wanted nothing to do with that movie.  Nov '78 fly from Houston to Charleston.  Get on World Airways charter in Charleston for flight to Germany.  Anyone want to guess what movie was shown on the flight?

Got to Germany:  3ID and given my rifle platoon.  Total strength of 18 (17 plus me).   A little short of the 41 authorized.  Thanks Pres Carter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

amen to that

tattoo = beauty eradicator

another nice thing - people were less vulgar.  We were so polite to women that it could be called "courtly".

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
don't forget the southwest flight attendant's(stewardess' as they were known back then)  hot pants
and no fatties
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I am just freshening up the decor in this thread with a bit of shag carpet and a macrame Owl for the wall.

Oh, and a big crystal ashtray for the kitchen.  

The Owl really puts the finishing touch on the wood paneling, Formica counter tops and avocado colored appliances.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I am just freshening up the decor in this thread with a bit of shag carpet and a macrame Owl for the wall.

Oh, and a big crystal ashtray for the kitchen.  

The Owl really puts the finishing touch on the wood paneling, Formica counter tops and avocado colored appliances.
View Quote

Dude, you just described my childhood home to a T !

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
70s Flashback:

Stir with a coke spoon.

Stay Groovy, My Friends.
View Quote

I need to try this.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I miss 78.
My 1960 Chevy 2dr post was finished.  Partial restoration.  283 with a Powerglide for those keeping score.
Banging the Teachers Aide didn't make the evening news
Banging the Teacher didn't either.
Disco sucked but the clothes the girls wore were awesome.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This here...

I would happily take a 70's and two 80's over what we have had .
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]
First Van Halen album was released in '78.

I still have it somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Sanford and Son , miss all those shows. Can't do stuff like that anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Galliano, peppermint schnapps, topped with flaming 151 rum. We called them Moosehead Hummers. Tasted like a peppermint patty.
Yo would also wake up the next day scratching your antlers, your head hurt so bad.
View Quote

We had one called "Bahama Mama"  2oz Bacardi 151, 2oz Vodka, 2oz Amaretto, five alive and a bit of pineapple juice...
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I need to try this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
70s Flashback:

Stir with a coke spoon.

Stay Groovy, My Friends.

I need to try this.

You do need to try this.

Don't forget to wear your wide collared shirt, plaid shorts, loafers and white socks.  

When your new neighbors spy you sipping a Harvey Wallbanger from a highball glass they will know their property values are about to skyrocket.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I never minded wading through a brier patch to eat at a picnic.

Young guys today are prissy fags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have yoga pants now.  Underneath those 70s pants is a hairy bush.  We've come a long way.

You don't know what you're missing.

Seriously.

The funniest part is I still hear that most young men still cant find the clitoris......with no hair, they cant find it, what do they need a f'n map?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The funniest part is I still hear that most young men still cant find the clitoris......with no hair, they cant find it, what do they need a f'n map?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have yoga pants now.  Underneath those 70s pants is a hairy bush.  We've come a long way.

Seriously.

LOL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

LOL Thanks.

I guess I needed a new keyboard anyways.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I miss being 38 years younger.

This

Harumph

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Yeah, I miss the 1970's too:

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

LOL Thanks.

I am here but to serve..........

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish my kids could have ONE thing from my childhood. Freedom.

They will never know the freedom of simply going somewhere without being on a camera. Everywhere they go has a camera on a pole somewhere.

When we went to the park, if there wasnt another car there, there were NO witnesses.

Bush wasnt that bad, clean skins were much less trashy, life was much more pleasany and the person next to you wasnt staring into the abyss of their phone the whole time. LIFE was better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wish my kids could have ONE thing from my childhood. Freedom.

They will never know the freedom of simply going somewhere without being on a camera. Everywhere they go has a camera on a pole somewhere.

When we went to the park, if there wasnt another car there, there were NO witnesses.

Bush wasnt that bad, clean skins were much less trashy, life was much more pleasany and the person next to you wasnt staring into the abyss of their phone the whole time. LIFE was better.
View Quote

This, it was a time where I am a lot of other kids were simply set free to be kids with no more expectation that we came home at dinner or dark and had behaved in such a way that someone would not be calling to inform our parents of our misbehavior.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was flying this sleek, racey, sophisticated war machine. Not the icky F-4.

<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/beech18/media/n1622751327_86427_6678-1_zpsggd43jxc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/beech18/n1622751327_86427_6678-1_zpsggd43jxc.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what I was rocking in 1978.  VP-30 RAG

https://i.gyazo.com/09702908cedce2094373cb96611e41b1.png

I was flying this sleek, racey, sophisticated war machine. Not the icky F-4.

<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/beech18/media/n1622751327_86427_6678-1_zpsggd43jxc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a552/beech18/n1622751327_86427_6678-1_zpsggd43jxc.jpg</a>

Ah, the infancy of aerial refueling.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I was 17. Yeah, I miss that day and time.
View Quote

I was 17 in this picture.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Graduated college May 6, 1978Reported to Infantry Officers Basic Course May 12, 1978

Sent to Germany Nov 1978
So, I had a GF then that pestered me to take her to see "Grease."  No, not seeing Grease.  I wanted nothing to do with that movie.  Nov '78 fly from Houston to Charleston.  Get on World Airways charter in Charleston for flight to Germany.  Anyone want to guess what movie was shown on the flight?
Got to Germany:  3ID and given my rifle platoon.  Total strength of 18 (17 plus me).   A little short of the 41 authorized.  Thanks Pres Carter.

View Quote

Where in Germany? I arrived December at Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt after a World Airways flight from Charleston, though imagine my experience as an E-1 was a little different than yours.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Where in Germany? I arrived December at Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt after a World Airways flight from Charleston, though imagine my experience as an E-1 was a little different than yours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Graduated college May 6, 1978Reported to Infantry Officers Basic Course May 12, 1978

Sent to Germany Nov 1978

Ledward Barracks.  Yeah, my arrival as a Lt was super special.  Got to Frankfurt and there was no one to meet me so the 21st Replacement Bn put me on a train and said "when you arrive, someone will be there to meet you."  After a few hours the conductor told me my ticket was up and I had arrived at my destination.  I get off of the train and find I am in Wurzburg, not Schweinfurt.  it's like 9PM and cold as hell and no one is in sight except for one bum sleeping on a bench.  I'm like "now what?"   I walk around a find a sign cut out in the shape of an american soldier and it says "are you lost?"   Not lost but not found either.  The sign says to take $1 and give it to the dude in the ticket window and then call a phone number.  So, a few minutes later some guys from 3ID HQ show up and take me to some post in Wurzburg.  After an hour or so they take me back to the train station and put me on a train to Schweinfurt and tell me someone will be there to meet me.  I've heard that before.

Arrive at midnight and no one is there.  Now what the shit do I do?  A sgt pulls up in a jeep and says I look lost.  No shit.  He is on courtesy patrol ( a duty I would have a few months later) and asked if I needed a ride.  I told him I needed to go to the 2/30 Inf but he didn't know where it was.  He took me to Ledward Barracks and dropped me off.  I found the MP station and asked them where the 2/30th was and they didn't know.  I walked outside and saw the 2/30th HQ was two floors above the MP station.  Worthless ass MP's.  Go to the HQ and find out the entire Bn is at Grafenwohr.  Sleep that night on some dudes bed and get picked up the next day and taken to Graf.  Spend two weeks in Graf before getting back to main post.  Then get chewed out for taking two weeks to in-process.

If you were at Conn Barracks then the units there were the 2/64th AR, 3/64 AR, 3rd Aviation Bn, some ADA unit and some misc maint bn.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I'll pass...........living in shithole Detroit back then.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny how no one has mentioned the smells back then.  Vinyl seats, carburetors set too rich, and cigarette smoke everywhere you went.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Funny how no one has mentioned the smells back then.  Vinyl seats, carburetors set too rich, and cigarette smoke everywhere you went.
View Quote

I was Life guarding on base so my smells memories are Tropicana,johnsons baby oil, strawberry shampoo, pool chemicals.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
1978 was the first time I got drunk.............I was 3.

Mom came home and found me sitting in the back yard next three empty beer bottles.

All I could say was, " I want to watch Hogans Heroes!"

She has the picture somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#38]
I used to drive one of these...

Looked similar to this one...

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#39]
My uncle has that pinball machine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What rollerskates?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#42]

We do more drugs before 9am than most people do all day.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Wot roller skates?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It depends

The pre-1977 electro-mechanical pins are practically free because nobody can keep them running

The post-1977 solid-state games run from a few hundred all the way up to $10,000

70s solid state pins are very simple and slow-playing, I don't like them.

The collectors all want the 1990s Bally-Williams.  Those games are the pinnacle of pinball in terms of art and gameplay.  

The 80s pinballs are less desired but are still great games.

A classic 90s pin like Addams Family is going to run you around $5000 to $7000

A classic 80s pin like Williams High Speed is going to be around $1500

The nice thing is that the games don't lose value.  I paid $2500 for my Twilight Zone, I could sell it for $6000 easy.  So it's hard to go wrong.

check this out, a pretty decent price guide -

http://www.bostonpinball.biz/ebay0516.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I'd love to have a pinball machine.

Kinda pricey

It depends

The pre-1977 electro-mechanical pins are practically free because nobody can keep them running

The post-1977 solid-state games run from a few hundred all the way up to $10,000

The collectors all want the 1990s Bally-Williams.  Those games are the pinnacle of pinball in terms of art and gameplay.  

The nice thing is that the games don't lose value.  I paid $2500 for my Twilight Zone, I could sell it for $6000 easy.  So it's hard to go wrong.

I've been wanting an Addams Family pinball machine forever.  Should have bought one years ago.  Looks like I missed out.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

yeah, they were called "WWII, Korea and Vietnam vets"

don't confuse walnut and blue guns with fuddishness

WWII guys liked fancy commercial guns with high polish blue finish and fancy walnut stocks because that kind of finish is "deluxe"

my dad grew up in the depression, he didn't want some cheap parkerized finish on a gun.  he wanted a high polish finish.  those guys called milsurp rifles "a poor man's gun"

nowadays, everyone wants a "tactical" gun, with a cheap crappy finish and a cheapo plastic stock.  they think it's bad ass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many fudds back then.

yeah, they were called "WWII, Korea and Vietnam vets"

don't confuse walnut and blue guns with fuddishness

WWII guys liked fancy commercial guns with high polish blue finish and fancy walnut stocks because that kind of finish is "deluxe"

my dad grew up in the depression, he didn't want some cheap parkerized finish on a gun.  he wanted a high polish finish.  those guys called milsurp rifles "a poor man's gun"

nowadays, everyone wants a "tactical" gun, with a cheap crappy finish and a cheapo plastic stock.  they think it's bad ass

Not old enough to have been in any of those wars, but was a product of the 70s/80s, and what you say rings true for me.

Pretty much everything I buy these days is of the "tactical" variety, complete with parkerization, plastic, and rails.

But I'm still a sucker for the old, elegant, beautiful guns.

I remember my first deer rifle was a Rem 700 ADL...my buddy's folks had more money than mine, and got him the more expensive BDL...was always jealous of the more elegant finish, checkering, and drop plate on his BDL...plus, his Leupold scope kicked my Bushnell's butt...

Shotguns were even more over the top in terms of beautiful engraving...

Sadly, these days even I don't buy wood stocked weapons...

Really miss the old days...

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I need to try this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
70s Flashback:

Stir with a coke spoon.

Stay Groovy, My Friends.

I need to try this.

Also try a Tequila Sunrise- Tequila, orange juice, and Grenadine.

Both those drinks are so sweet they'll close your throat up.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#48]
roller skates? are you gay?

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been wanting an Addams Family pinball machine forever.  Should have bought one years ago.  Looks like I missed out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, I'd love to have a pinball machine.

Kinda pricey

It depends

The kiss pinball machine has been on my list for 20 years....I just cant bring myself to spend the $$
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ledward Barracks.  Yeah, my arrival as a Lt was super special.  Got to Frankfurt and there was no one to meet me so the 21st Replacement Bn put me on a train and said "when you arrive, someone will be there to meet you."  After a few hours the conductor told me my ticket was up and I had arrived at my destination.  I get off of the train and find I am in Wurzburg, not Schweinfurt.  it's like 9PM and cold as hell and no one is in sight except for one bum sleeping on a bench.  I'm like "now what?"   I walk around a find a sign cut out in the shape of an american soldier and it says "are you lost?"   Not lost but not found either.  The sign says to take $1 and give it to the dude in the ticket window and then call a phone number.  So, a few minutes later some guys from 3ID HQ show up and take me to some post in Wurzburg.  After an hour or so they take me back to the train station and put me on a train to Schweinfurt and tell me someone will be there to meet me.  I've heard that before.  

Arrive at midnight and no one is there.  Now what the shit do I do?  A sgt pulls up in a jeep and says I look lost.  No shit.  He is on courtesy patrol ( a duty I would have a few months later) and asked if I needed a ride.  I told him I needed to go to the 2/30 Inf but he didn't know where it was.  He took me to Ledward Barracks and dropped me off.  I found the MP station and asked them where the 2/30th was and they didn't know.  I walked outside and saw the 2/30th HQ was two floors above the MP station.  Worthless ass MP's.  Go to the HQ and find out the entire Bn is at Grafenwohr.  Sleep that night on some dudes bed and get picked up the next day and taken to Graf.  Spend two weeks in Graf before getting back to main post.  Then get chewed out for taking two weeks to in-process.

If you were at Conn Barracks then the units there were the 2/64th AR, 3/64 AR, 3rd Aviation Bn, some ADA unit and some misc maint bn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sent to Germany Nov 1978

Lol. They didn't trust us to get where we needed to go, so I had people tell me where/when until I arrived in Schweinfurt. I ended up in B 3/64. When I arrived they were transitioning from M60A2 to M60A1 Rise/Passive tanks.

I'm sure we probably had a beer at the same place once or twice.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top