View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not ask the Indians?

Because many of the widely eaten curries in the western world were actually developed in Britain, for British customers? The Pasanda you get served is more likely to be the European version than the original Indian version. The same goes for Jalfrezi, Dhansak, Vindaloo, etc.

What makes you think that?

It's the troof, even the Jinglies accept it

Are you saying my mother cooked me British cuisine growing up, which she would have learned from who?  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'll be the asshole here. Curry is absolutely disgusting.

Flame suit on, bitches!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its the brit national cusine - everything else is boiled to mush

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Indian food because I've liked just about everything I've tried but I just don't know enough about curry to make a choice without guessing. What do I want to get tonight?

Here's the menu where I'm going tonight, FYI.

Why would you ask a Brit instead of an Indian (dot)?

That's like asking a German about Turkish food.

Well, not really.  A lot of the recipes we normally use for dishes in the US are originally English or have their roots in such.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I guess I'll be the asshole here. Curry is absolutely disgusting.

Flame suit on, bitches!
View Quote
No you.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Not Brit , but last year in Ireland it was easier to find Thai or Indian food in Dublin than shepherds pie or Irish stew. Bit of an eye opener for my girl and I. Our host finally called a friend of his who's family owned a pub and had them make us shepherds pie. It's a small world lol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You stupid wankers don't realise that British curry recipes and techniques are being adopted by restaurants back in India

All you twats that slag off British cuisine have never been here, so I treat you with the same contempt as a wart on my bell end
British cuisine is amongst the best, plus we have embraced the best the rest of the world has to offer

And thats why you have threads about is 5 guys or Sonic better than Whataburger?
View Quote

I have always viewed British and their Curry up there with Texans and Chili..My grandfather who served in India at one point, would drop a grandchild to get his hands on a bowl of curry..
my Mum not a fan of the hot stuff but we ate curry once a week growing up..never really viewed it as "Indian" food just Mother getting rid of left overs....
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]

A British doctor has become the first person to finish the world's hottest curry at a UK restaurant - despite suffering hallucinations brought on by the dish.

Consultant radiologist Ian Rothwell, 55, took over an hour to eat 'The Widower' curry - which tops six million units on the Scoville Scale and is hotter than a drink of anti-riot tear gas.

The curry, which is filled with 20 Naga Infinity Chillis - the second hottest on the planet - is so dangerous to make it has to be prepared by chefs wearing goggles and a face mask.

But Dr Rothwell became the first out of 300 people to successfully tackle the curry at the Bindi restaurant in Grantham, Lincolnshire, on Thursday evening - and said completing the challenge was harder than when he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro last year.

After signing a disclaimer acknowledging his awareness of the risks involved with eating the curry, Dr Rothwell got ate the chicken dish with a bottle of Cobra beer.

Despite walking out of the restaurant half-way through after suffering hallucinations, he returned a short time later when his wife found him wandering along the high street.

And fighting back tears for another hour, Dr Rothwell finally managed to swallow the last mouthful to defeat the dish.

'I like hot curries and have at least one a week, but this was off the scale,' he said. 'It took me about an hour to eat it and I had to stop half way through and go out for a walk and some fresh air.

'My wife and the owner were quite worried and said I was hallucinating, but I managed to go back inside and finish the curry.'

Mr Rothwell decided to take up the challenge after his daughter Alice's boyfriend told him his friends had failed to eat the hot curry.

... more at the link....

Doctor eats world's hottest curry… and it's so violent he gets hallucinations and chefs have to wear goggles to make it  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to work in a record distribution warehouse in London in the late 80s and we had a running "Indian Take-Away Top 10" list going with hits such as "It's My Bhaji (and I'll Cry If I Want To", "Tears on my Pilau", "Papadum Preach","Korma Chameleon", "You Can't Curry Love"....

That being said, we just had Goan and Korma curries with grouper last night, along with samosa and batura. Fish or shrimp steamed with mustard seeds is amazing, as well. Sadly a lot of Indian restaurants seem to have menus as diverse as that of McDonalds in neighboring towns.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you saying my mother cooked me British cuisine growing up, which she would have learned from who?  

View Quote

If she was cooking traditional Indian curries, then it would be different to the British versions. We basically took the names of existing dishes and applied them to westernised versions. Now, many of those westernised versions are finding their way back to India.

It's pretty weird, but true.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And thats why you have threads about is 5 guys or Sonic better than Whataburger?
View Quote

That's some funny stuff right there! The truth is all those burger places are crap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You stupid wankers don't realise that British curry recipes and techniques are being adopted by restaurants back in India

All you twats that slag off British cuisine have never been here, so I treat you with the same contempt as a wart on my bell end
British cuisine is amongst the best, plus we have embraced the best the rest of the world has to offer

View Quote

I've been there, I recognize that the UK has fantastic Indian food, I was in the EM-2 thread, and I'm still going to slag off British cooking!

Might even wear your sweater while doing so!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Pepper your angus.

Your dinner is going to make Taco Bell turd look like firm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Indian food because I've liked just about everything I've tried but I just don't know enough about curry to make a choice without guessing. What do I want to get tonight?

LOL.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pepper your angus.

Your dinner is going to make Taco Bell turd look like firm.
View Quote

It was good.

Need to find a place that does Jalfrezi, though I didn't ask.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
english food is the most bland shit you'll ever eat.

my experience with indian, i use to love it until two weeks ago with the shrimp saag - my poo was the same color as it entered and exited within two hours
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The Indian joints in the UK can be tasty, but they still aren't the same as the ones in Mumbai. I'm guessing there are a number of import restrictions on certain food items into the UK and that makes the difference. I never want to go to India again though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]

My daughter done did good.  She married a great 1/2 Indian (dot).  He learned from his mother who cooks great curry.  Have you ever been to a house where the curry smell was so overpowering  it took days to clear your nose.  This is not her house.  Yes there was a slight scent of curry but I actually wondered if we were having hamburgers.  It was some of the best curry I have ever eaten.  Curt also cooks with his mom's finesse.  He is slowly trying to teach me.  I don't know what all the dishes are called but they all taste great!!  Chicken, pork, goat, and yes we actually do beef.  Not to mention the crab, can't really mention it as I have not tried that yet.  I am told it is out of this world.  It helps greatly to get the right curry powder.  Curt's aunt makes it for the whole family.  I get my yearly stipend and it is used judiciously.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I love curry, need to find out how to make it since my fix is only satisfied if I go out to get it. Knowing how to use the spices is a big part of doing the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Poop thread.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I have not had a good curry since I left England back in 1989.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eh--i'd say more like asking someone from arizona about mexican food.  you'd get an american palate that is educated in the cuisine, which can be quite useful.

i work closely with a number of indians.  when you ask indians about indian food, you get long lists of incomprehensible and damn near unpronounceable terms that aren't very helpful.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#30]
A question for you Brits. Is Kohinoor Foods a decent brand? I have lots of their precooked stuff that comes in either retort or mylar pouches. I have no clue what good Indian food tastes like, but this stuff is pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Ive never had Indian food yet, I'm willing to try it since I really enjoy Thai curries. It's just not common out west. I also want to try donnar (sp) kebabs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ive never had Indian food yet, I'm willing to try it since I really enjoy Thai curries. It's just not common out west. I also want to try donnar (sp) kebabs.

View Quote
Try the nearest college town near you, there should be something.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wedged between 2 college towns.... I will look harder now.
ETA:I just checked and sure enough there are two by the campus. Both serve a buffet, so I'm kinda sceptical on how authentic it will be, especially for a first timer. I will still go and try it this week though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Another shit talker from the land of plastic cheese, fake mustard and that ol' favourite, Chipotle, which the rest of the rest of the world calls shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another shit talker from the land of plastic cheese, fake mustard and that ol' favourite, Chipotle, which the rest of the rest of the world calls shit

Easy there on the cheese... I bought 3 lbs of Dubliner cheese today.  Bless you Cork Ireland and the cheese of the Gods that you create.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

ETA:I just checked and sure enough there are two by the campus. Both serve a buffet, so I'm kinda sceptical on how authentic it will be, especially for a first timer. I will still go and try it this week though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buffet is good so you can try a little of everything.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Never been to the UK, I see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to brits to learn about Indian food

Never been to the UK, I see.

Indeed
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they dont have these it isnt an authentic Indian restaurant.
(They are awesome BTW)

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Every curry ever made is garbage. The same people that eat curry would just as happily eat a babbies soiled diaper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Every curry ever made is garbage. The same people that eat curry would just as happily eat a babbies soiled diaper.
View Quote

LOL tell mama its time to boil you anuther hot dog
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top