Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/9/2016 4:51:35 PM EDT
Here are some photos in no particular order of sunken objects located by side scanner sonar (those towed buoys you see in those oceanographer documentaries). I only post them to show what the technology is capable of, as well as show how spooky it can be- imagine you're looking at miles and miles of nothing on the screen, and then suddenly you see a wrecked ship nobody has seen for a hundred years.   I will leave it to others to identify the subject matter...

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't realize how detailed it could be.  The last one looks like a body.  I would guess a human body wouldn't last long down there
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool! Its amazing how far technology has come. Especially in the last 20yrs
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't realize how detailed it could be.  The last one looks like a body.  I would guess a human body wouldn't last long down there
View Quote

It is....  Seen it too many times on recovery missions.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!  Where are these photo's on the net?  Any identification on the ships?  Locations?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Without having to say it, a good number of people here will be able to identify THIS one...

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Neat.. one of them looks like cement shoes to sleep with the fishies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Do 24, unknown vessel, submarine possibly a minelayer possibly British, bicycle, Canadian frigate, assorted cargo vessels and a body.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Without having to say it, a good number of people here will be able to identify THIS one...

http://waittfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MSN018A_BOW-SIDE4-R99m.jpg
View Quote

I remember the newspaper front page when Alvin found that
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://waittfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MSN018A_BOW-SIDE4-R99m.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, that one's easy.  RMS Titanic.  What about the stern or debris field?  Anything of that?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.

Being ignorant of Sonar stuff, I'm going to assume this functions similarly to SAR.

Off to google.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We use this technology for underwater inspection of structures. We use the Kongsberg 1071.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
that is pretty neat

any more
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool!  Where are these photo's on the net?  Any identification on the ships?  Locations?
View Quote

Google side scanning sonar images
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Down and side imaging technology is awesome. It has really advanced in the past 10 years. Some of the new fishing graphs can produce amazing images, when properly set up. Most can be had for around 1k.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Side scan sonar images of Nazi Germany's one and only aircraft carrier, Graf Zeppelin.  It was captured by the Soviets and then sunk from target practice.  The wreck site was unknown until just recently when they found it in the Baltic sea.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Last one looks like buzz lightyear.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Why can't they find Amelia Earhart?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Why/how does it show shadows?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because they're not looking where her plane is.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Side scan sonar from a local fisherman found a guy that was missing since November (in spring) round her a couple of years ago.

In the cold, in the winter, and at the bottom of a swamp (where there is little O2) a human body will last a while.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Side scan sonar images of Nazi Germany's one and only aircraft carrier, Graf Zeppelin.  It was captured by the Soviets and then sunk from target practice.  The wreck site was unknown until just recently when they found it in the Baltic sea.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/Portals/0/FascistFlattop37.jpg
http://foto.mw.mil.pl/foto.php?vhost=dzh&id_md=1001
View Quote

now that is really awesome

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The technology works by taking a photograph via sound waves.  The shadows are actually areas where the sound waves are being blocked by the wreckage.

That said, the shadows are every bit as valuable as the image of the wreckage.  This one clearly shows the silhouette of the wreck and identifies what it is...the actual wreck is the horizontal shape beneath the shadow...

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]

NOPE, that's Obama's bike!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Sure, we get these photos. But they never share the ones of the monsters lurking in the deep trenches of the oceans.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Neat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long does a body last in the deep ocean depths before hungry stuff makes it disappear? Hours?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not really a shadow, more of a blank area that is shown because the sonar waves can't penetrate the object.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Great find OP!

I spent a year on a Navy Oceanographic Unit mapping parts of the Pacific and IO. Our granularity to "see" stuff was measured in fathoms, and we were scooting along at 20 knots. We found all kinds of mountains, etc. I always thought it would have been awesome to see stuff at this detail.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Side scan sonar from a local fisherman found a guy that was missing since November (in spring) round her a couple of years ago.  

In the cold, in the winter, and at the bottom of a swamp (where there is little O2) a human body will last a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been happening a few times a year for the last five or six years.  

Lots of missing/stolen cars are found, too.  Some include bodies.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
In 1845 an expedition led by Sir John Franklin left England in two ships to explore the Arctic.  The ships was subsequently trapped in ice and the crew had to abandon them.  The entire crew wound up dying and some of the graves discovered later on were determined to have been cannibalized.

The reason why I mention this?  They found the wreck of the HMS Erebus, one of the Franklin expedition ships.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm no scientist, but at least one of those looks like a boat
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's probably pretty cold down there. Last a long time. Except maybe for parasitism.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#38]
That resolution is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's not really a shadow, more of a blank area that is shown because the sonar waves can't penetrate the object.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is it a 3D recreation of the image?  If the sonar source was casting the shadows, why don't the photos, or whatever they are, show the perspective that is casting the shadow?  

I'm not sure I'm writing this correctly, but it appears that the picture is from a different perspective than the sonar is pointed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So is it a 3D recreation of the image?  If the sonar source was casting the shadows, why don't the photos, or whatever they are, show the perspective that is casting the shadow?  

I'm not sure I'm writing this correctly, but it appears that the picture is from a different perspective than the sonar is pointed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not 3d but it appears that way.  Think of the sounds waves as a laser, it will bounce off the object back towards the transmitter.  The sound will never reach where the "shadow" is so it registers as no response or "nothing there".
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They found pieces of the plane on an island a few years after the wreck. That doesn't sell advertising.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Why the shadow?

(Not a composite image?)
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool thread, OP. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]
First pic: Ford Trimotor, or possibly a JU-52?

Trimotor:

Ju-52:

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome thread. For some reason I've always been fascinated with shipwrecks ever since I was a little kid.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Do 24, unknown vessel, submarine possibly a minelayer possibly British, bicycle, Canadian frigate, assorted cargo vessels and a body.

I agree with Ameshawki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_24
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Did you find my guns?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Kool
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top