Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL "free..."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most have free extended warranty; I bought a Certified HONDA years ago; it had a 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Not that it needed it, its a HONDA.

LOL "free..."

Its definitely free. Thats why they cost more.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
bought CPO car, my powertrain is warrantied for 3 years or up to 135,000 miles. Only paid about $700 more than non CPO so I'd say it was worth it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You pay a premium for certified used vehicles from Toyota or Honda. It is not really worth it. You are better off getting the used car you want from a dealership lot that does not sell the brand you are seeking. I recently bought from a dealership that had a Honda lot and a Subaru lot across town. I paid $2000 less for a 2013 Honda at the Subaru lot than what the Honda lot had used. They certify any clean low mileage car to get that premium. The others that are not certified are beat up. The certified used vehicle warranty Honda offered was almost useless since there was factory warranty left on the car I bought.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Buy a hard top or locking center console?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are expecting our first child in January, so my Wrangler is going to. Get traded in on something newer and safer. We are looking in the mid-sized SUV market. I've never bought "certified" vehicle, are they worth the dealers premium?

THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE...you have a Wrangler, what does your Wife/Baby Momma drive?

Wife drives a Mazda 3, which I will probably assume and she'll get the SUV. I've want to get rid of the Wrangler anyway, as it is a soft top and offers no security to theft. I would like to keep a pistol under the seat or glove box, but I don't even lock the doors of the jeep, rather than getting the top cut. Its an older 2 door model, it'll be a bitch to have a car seat in.

Buy a hard top or locking center console?

Still doesn't make it any easier to get a car seat in and out of the back seat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When we had a kid...I switched from a TJ to a JKU...

Problem was solved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are expecting our first child in January, so my Wrangler is going to. Get traded in on something newer and safer. We are looking in the mid-sized SUV market. I've never bought "certified" vehicle, are they worth the dealers premium?

When we had a kid...I switched from a TJ to a JKU...

Problem was solved.

I don't know, that extra set of doors on a jeep never looked right to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most aftermarket plans (i.e., 99.999% of them) are an absolute ripoff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most "certified" used cars come with some sort of extended warranty.  

They aren't really inspected or reconditioned any better than a typical used car, frankly.

Do the math... can you buy a similar vehicle and add an aftermarket service plan for the same price or cheaper?  If so, go that route.

Most aftermarket plans (i.e., 99.999% of them) are an absolute ripoff.

Which aren't?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
.It's cost prohibitive to certify a piece of crap. Reconditioning adds up fast. When I was the GM of a Lincoln-Mercury dealer a decade or so ago, I only certified 2-3 year old used cars with 30,000 or less miles, simply because it cost me less to do it that way. As a manager, I hated having to do CPO. I made less money per unit overall, and had to answer to the factory. CPO is to a degree a benefit for the consumer, and a loss to the dealer.

When the finance gal offers you the extension to the extended CPO warranty, ONLY take it if it is factory backed - do NOT go 3rd party.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.It's cost prohibitive to certify a piece of crap. Reconditioning adds up fast. When I was the GM of a Lincoln-Mercury dealer a decade or so ago, I only certified 2-3 year old used cars with 30,000 or less miles, simply because it cost me less to do it that way. As a manager, I hated having to do CPO. I made less money per unit overall, and had to answer to the factory. CPO is to a degree a benefit for the consumer, and a loss to the dealer.

When the finance gal offers you the extension to the extended CPO warranty, ONLY take it if it is factory backed - do NOT go 3rd party.
View Quote

A lot of truth here.
We offer GMPP on CPO units however the certified warranty is 3 months/5000km which ever comes first.
That CPO does qualify the vehicle for extended warranty up to an additional 60,000 miles (typical) with a $100 deductible.
We rarely certify a used vehicle that is already out of the comprehensive warranty because of age and mileage, when we do we are at the mercy of the shop.
The shop makes drug money off the UCD when we give the go-ahead on certifying, they call EVERYTHING to be fixed or replaced and guess who has to pay for it ?
The customer that is purchasing that CPO vehicle, that's who.

However, a vehicle that is still under warranty gets fixed anyway and costs us around $300 for the inspection,  the manufacturer foots the bill if repairs are needed..

Sold a used Jeep Patriot a few months ago that had quite low miles on it, we certified it.
Customer called me this morning. Transmission puked its guts all over the highway.
He was very happy to hear that the extended warranty that he got a deal on was going to cover the new tranny less his $100 deductible.

Even though it was a Jeep, GMPP is the only manufacturer that covers other  brands  with their CPO extended warranty.

Kind of cool actually.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was, they put on new tires, changed all the fluids and a bunch of other stuff.  Don't have to touch it again until 100k.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
For some......i.e. those who can't (don't know how/what to look for, etc...) check out their own vehicles prior to the purchase.  Plus, it gives a buyer "peace of mind."

Then......

You know how insurance companies would write off a car if it's repairs are gonna cost them $XXXX?  Well, you know that some folks don't even try to or don't even have the coverage.   So sometimes, they make repairs on their own.  

Humm.......a car fax report with a "clean no accidents title."

Aloha, Mark

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top