Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 1:46:49 PM EDT
I've had interest when I've posted about NKP 765 before and caught some flack for insufficient notice, so I'm cross posting this from the Ohio HTF.

NKP 765, a fully restored Berkshire class locomotive, built at the legendary Lima Locomotive Works, will be running excursions in NE Ohio this September.

More information here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/602892_NKP_765__Berkshire_Steam_Locomotive__will_be_in_the_Cuyahoga_Valley_National_Park__Sept_.html

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The NKP version of the 2-8-4 Berkshire is one of my favorite steam locos, after the UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and UP 4-6-6-4 Challengers!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
More and more old steam engines are being re-born and running the rails on excursions. I rode behind 611 last year and it was awesome. I can't wait to see videos of the UP Big Boy running again.

Norfolk Southern actually even put 611 as power on a few revenue runs last year, she was heading in that direction anyway so why not? The 21st Century Steam Program is officially over but as long as NS allows 611 to use the tracks I think she will keep running. All of the excursions sell out.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather was an engineer for NKP for many years, he started out as an NKP fireman and also had a big part in the Nickel Plate Historical Society.  He "drove" for lack of the correct term, the NKP 587 on a trip back to the turntable/roundhouse here in 1991. I'm not sure how to imbed video but I'll post YouTube link to the video. He passed in December 2014 and I miss hearing all his old railroad stories

https://youtu.be/BgK_mkvYqzA

Edit: @ 3:00 there's a good shot of my grandfather. He also did a lot of work at the Indiana Transportation Museum where this locomotive (NKP 587) was being restored
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top