Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2016 7:12:55 PM EDT
From an email I received.  It's time to start neckbearding your leather goods.  

I’ve got some news that will make some people really happy
and some people really sad. The good news is that starting September 1st, we’re
raising prices significantly. The bad news is that starting September 1st,
we’re raising prices significantly with all Saddleback, Love 41, Mountainback
and Backcast designs.

I want to let you know now so you won’t be shocked when it
happens. And I want to be transparent so you understand that we’re not raising
prices trying to become some big fancy pants elitist brand. We’ve actually got
some really good reasons that hopefully you’ll be cool with and even excited
about.

Until recently, most everything has been priced way lower
than it should have been from the start, but we were clueless about how much
our designs cost to make and the cost to run the quality business to sell them.

My intent has always been to offer durable designs made with
quality materials at a fair price. I wanted to force the foofy elitist brands
to either raise their overall quality, lower their prices or go the way of the
phone book.

We’ve been pricing with our gut and not according to sound
accounting and business principles even though I got a D- in Accounting 101 and
didn’t take one math class in college. And I guess that’s why hundreds of our
customers, consultants and friends have been telling us that we’re grossly
under-priced for the quality we deliver.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I’ve got some news that will make some people really happyand some people really sad. The good news is that starting September 1st, we’reraising prices significantly. The bad news is that starting September 1st,we’re raising prices significantly with all Saddleback, Love 41, Mountainbackand Backcast designs.
I want to let you know now so you won’t be shocked when ithappens. And I want to be transparent so you understand that we’re not raisingprices trying to become some big fancy pants elitist brand. We’ve actually gotsome really good reasons that hopefully you’ll be cool with and even excitedabout.

Until recently, most everything has been priced way lowerthan it should have been from the start, but we were clueless about how muchour designs cost to make and the cost to run the quality business to sell them.

My intent has always been to offer durable designs made withquality materials at a fair price. I wanted to force the foofy elitist brandsto either raise their overall quality, lower their prices or go the way of thephone book.
We’ve been pricing with our gut and not according to soundaccounting and business principles even though I got a D- in Accounting 101 anddidn’t take one math class in college. And I guess that’s why hundreds of ourcustomers, consultants and friends have been telling us that we’re grosslyunder-priced for the quality we deliver.

View Quote

They better hope their customers are willing to pay significantly more, just because some of your customers tell you your stuff is underpriced doesn't necessarily translate to "I want to pay significantly more".
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I got $4-5K worth of their stuff. They don't make anything I want that I don't already have.

Sorry Dave, too slow.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Would have bought a wallet from them years ago, if it wasn't for the card breakage issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought when they sucked at pricing.

I'm interested to see what 'significant' is to them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny I was checking out leather slings for my Garand today. Haven't heard of anyone else doing this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Gently insert your significantly more expensive leather where the sun don't shine! I find it rather hard to get exited about higher prices, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
So how much do you think a pre ban saddleback wallet will go for on eBay?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got $4-5K worth of their stuff. They don't make anything I want that I don't already have.

Sorry Dave, too slow.
View Quote
Yep
I'm good
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I’ve got some news that will make some people really happyand some people really sad. The good news is that starting September 1st, we’reraising prices significantly. The bad news is that starting September 1st,we’re raising prices significantly with all Saddleback, Love 41, Mountainbackand Backcast designs.

I want to let you know now so you won’t be shocked when ithappens. And I want to be transparent so you understand that we’re not raisingprices trying to become some big fancy pants elitist brand. We’ve actually gotsome really good reasons that hopefully you’ll be cool with and even excitedabout.

View Quote

Until recently, most everything has been priced way lowerthan it should have been from the start, but we were clueless about how muchour designs cost to make and the cost to run the quality business to sell them.

My intent has always been to offer durable designs made withquality materials at a fair price. I wanted to force the foofy elitist brandsto either raise their overall quality, lower their prices or go the way of thephone book.

We’ve been pricing with our gut and not according to soundaccounting and business principles even though I got a D- in Accounting 101 anddidn’t take one math class in college. And I guess that’s why hundreds of ourcustomers, consultants and friends have been telling us that we’re grosslyunder-priced for the quality we deliver.

Forget them.  I have a nice wallet and portfolio from them which I thought were expensive when I bought them.  I used to give their stuff as gifts and what not - I don't recommend them to anyone anymore since they started using lower quality leather with branding marks and shit ("it might look cool" - that was the day I unsubscribed from your mailing list buddy) and raised their prices.  Now this?  Nothing made in "old mexico" with worth that, you can keep your overpriced Mexican crap.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll never be able to afford a Mexican purse now!
View Quote
You could book a flight to Mexico
Stay in a hotel for 2 nights

Buy a satchel on the street made as well, maybe by same guys

Fly home

Be about same price
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You could book a flight to Mexico Stay in a hotel for 2 nights

Fly home

Be about same price

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fly home

Be about same price

But will you make it home alive?

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry Dave, too slow.
View Quote

If they raise their rates 20% and get rid of 20% of their customer's they'll make the same amount of money for less work which (should) mean quicker turn around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a leather shortage?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a front pocket briefcase last month, it was $600.  That's already expensive, if it was significantly more expensive, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
4-5k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry Dave, too slow.
4-5k

Ho lee fuk wow
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]

I have a Saddleback wallet and it's the best wallet I ever bought.

I liked it so much I bought each of my sons one so they wouldn't have to fight over mine when I'm dead.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, got the email too.... And thought nice knowing ya.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just use your prison purse.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

They got lots of trips to Africa and South America to pay for, from what I saw on the ad they were running on fb today.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fly home
Be about same price

More than likely....might get the Zika though
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Meh...leather is too heavy for "real" travel anyways.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a ploy to get a rush of orders
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Saddleback wallet and it's the best wallet I ever bought.

I liked it so much I bought each of my sons one so they wouldn't have to fight over mine when I'm dead.

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/20151225_175344_zpsq1ptg1is_edit_1451087867915_zpschuthouy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/20151225_175344_zpsq1ptg1is_edit_1451087867915_zpschuthouy.jpg</a>

View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking at that email. It says prices go up 9-1-16. Are they trying to get people to panic buy leather goods?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Have a $500 briefcase and several of their wallets.  Love 'em.  I would not have paid "significantly more" for any of them though.

Having said that, I wish them the best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I have all the Saddleback I want.

I'm not sure why they think they need to raise their prices significantly, but hey, up to them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I guess then it's good I have never heard of them, that way I cannot get worked up over it.
View Quote

<<<<< Peak leather wallets

You >>>>>>>
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't get it.

I mean,if yo can afford really nice shit, go for it, enjoy what you've earned.

But seriously, why the fuck would yo pay that much for fucking wallet or a belt when there are cheaper options available that do the exact same thing?

I'm wearing a gun belt right now that I got at a gunshow from a no name dealer. It's thick, it's comfortable, and it does what I need. I think I paid $40 for it.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Have a $500 briefcase and several of their wallets.  Love 'em.  I would not have paid "significantly more" for any of them though.

Having said that, I wish them the best of luck.
View Quote

That briefcase is what I've been eyeing.

Significantly more when I've been on the fence due to price?

Lol...nope.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
4-5k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry Dave, too slow.
4-5k

No Shit.  I want to see the scopes on his rifles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Have one of their wallets for several years.  My 4th card just started breaking last week, so I've been planning on buying a different one.

There stuff seems ok but spendy.  Nothing aside from their wallets appealed to me for that price.  I would have considered trying a backpack or briefcase for $100.  There is no way that I would ever buy another one of their products if they are more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Reading that email was painful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Hypalon Wallets are where its at.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
are they better than Louis Vuitton and Gucci?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Morlando Leather.  Same Mexican maker, similar products.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#41]
If they moved all operations to the USA, I'd consider the current prices ok. Increase prices and import materials, fuck that.

Just wait until there are import tariffs once Trump is elected.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I could use a new wallet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I guess then it's good I have never heard of them, that way I cannot get worked up over it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I have to see what "significantly" equates to before I get too wound up (if I get wound up at all.......it's a fucking leather wallet).

My Saddleback is the best and longest lasting wallet that I have ever owned, and if they jacked the price up by 20% I'd prob still but one, simply because it works so well and lasts so long, not because I care what the name is or what GD thinks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Until recently, most everything has been priced way lower than it should have been from the start, but we were clueless about how much our designs cost to make and the cost to run the quality business to sell them.
View Quote

Meh. I only buy fine Corinthian leather.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Morlando Leather.  Same Mexican maker, similar products.
View Quote
Get the word out

Saddleback is the Yeti of wallets

Had I known they were such fucking hippies I wouldn't have bought.

But this was some years ago.

I'm hAppy with the wallet but fuck hippies
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#47]
While their new wallets don't crack cards anymore, they still bend the shit out of them.

I'm done with Saddleback.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you toss the metro sexual man bag?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Meh. I'll wait till walmart runs the same shit with the Ozark Trail emblem on em.

Now if they had one available that is pretty much exactly like the wallet I've been using for the last 12 to 15 years I'd be all about buying a saddleback wallet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Thanks.  Just picked up a blem slim bifold wallet for $19 shipped.  Curious to give it a try.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top