Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 10:38:20 AM EDT
After 40 years or so I finally wised up and started bringing a bath towel with me whenever going to do some activity in the stifling summer heat/humidity.  Obviously, it's a very convenient thing to have in order to periodically dry yourself of uncomfortable dripping sweat.  

But I found a new use for it yesterday.  When you're in the pounding midday sun and about to pass out from heat exhaustion, you can dip or soak one end of it in water.  Then with your shirt off, place the wet end over your head with the dry half draped down over your shoulders and back like a cape for shade.  (If the towel is completely wet, it will be too heavy and will slide off your head.) The cooling effect is dramatic.  It cools off the top of your head and if you're lucky enough to have a slight breeze, it literally feels as cool as being in air conditioning.  Very relieving.  

I'm sure lawncare professionals everywhere have known this trick for years but I thought I'd share.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After 40 years or so I finally wised up and started bringing a bath towel with me whenever going to do some activity in the stifling summer heat/humidity.  Obviously, it's a very convenient thing to have in order to periodically dry yourself of uncomfortable dripping sweat.  

But I found a new use for it yesterday.  When you're in the pounding midday sun and about to pass out from heat exhaustion, you can dip or soak one end of it in water.  Then with your shirt off, place the wet end over your head with the dry half draped down over your shoulders and back like a cape for shade.  The cooling effect is dramatic.  It cools off the top of your head and if you're lucky enough to have a slight breeze, it literally feels as cool as being in air conditioning.  Very relieving.  

I'm sure lawncare professionals everywhere have known this trick for years but I thought I'd share.  
View Quote

Not saying you're gay or anything but this all sounds really gay.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
OP is a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.

And for the naysayers...

“A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Found a pic of the OP:

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't handle the Alabama heat as well as I used to.  I use one of these occasionally in the hot months and it really helps.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations you discovered the turban.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I was amazed at how much of a difference bringing a towel made
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But I found a new use for it yesterday.  When you're in the pounding midday sun and about to pass out from heat exhaustion, you can dip or soak one end of it in water.  Then with your shirt off, place the wet end over your head with the dry half draped down over your shoulders and back like a cape for shade.  (If the towel is completely wet, it will be too heavy and will slide off your head.) The cooling effect is dramatic.  It cools off the top of your head and if you're lucky enough to have a slight breeze, it literally feels as cool as being in air conditioning.  Very relieving.  

View Quote

You were wearing a swamp cooler.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Always bring a towel.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
So when the Spanking Fight starts, which towel technique do you use?

- Tie it on tight
- Hold it with one hand and give spankings with the other
- Just let the towel drop. Happiness abounds!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep a kaffiyeh on my bug out kit. Some years back, I came across a lady on a trail in SoCal on a 90+ degree day suffering from heat stroke hiking by herself. A little bit of water for her and a soaked kaffiyeh on her head in the shade for 30 minutes and she was doing a lot better. They come in handy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I found a new use for it yesterday.  When you're in the pounding midday sun and about to pass out from heat exhaustion, you can dip or soak one end of it in water.  Then with your shirt off, place the wet end over your head with the dry half draped down over your shoulders and back like a cape for shade.  The cooling effect is dramatic.  It cools off the top of your head and if you're lucky enough to have a slight breeze, it literally feels as cool as being in air conditioning.  Very relieving.  

Now that you pointed it out, lol.  But you would know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Huh...most people I know that do that just use their bandana but similar idea I guess.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Huh...most people I know that do that just use their bandana but similar idea I guess.
View Quote

I'd think a little bandana pales to the cooling effect of a large, great gobs of water soaking and shady bath towel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'd think a little bandana pales to the cooling effect of a large, great gobs of water soaking and shady bath towel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet that's true, bandanas do seem more convenient though.   It can definitely give you cooling on your head where you probably need it most.

A good bandana is pretty useful.  I also have some of those Buff rags for various outdoor activities and they're nice too.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
So is a pool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]

There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Always bring a towel.

https://i.imgflip.com/7loyt.jpg

View Quote
You had one job....

It's "Don't forget to bring a towel"
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#21]
It's easier to just live somewhere that doesn't have soul crushing humidity levels, i.e. anywhere but the south.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
One of my favorites was picked up at a fair.   It's a flat cloth tube filled with some absorbent gel.   You drop this into a cooler and let it soak up cold water.   When you pull it out it's completely rounded out.  You then wrap it around your neck and tie it off.   The effect is awesome.   It's like a intercooler for your brain case.   Combined with a good wide hat, it makes working outside a lot more bearable.   I usually bring a small cooler just for these so I don't put sweaty stuff into my food cooler.   I can't for the life of me remember what they were called but we got two for each of us.   One is soaking again while we use the other one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I keep 3 towels of various size in my match shooting kit. One to dry me off, one for cleaning off mud from my hands and one tossed over the range bag to keep the sun off my ammo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#26]
A lot of the outdoor working Mexicans do the wet t-shirt or towel thing.
They also wear those goofy looking but very effective wide brimmed straw hats.

I have one of those cool wrap things in my emergency kit in my truck.
And of course, I don't forget my towel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought my hubby boonie hats and scarves with gel that absorbs water. I put a bucket out filled with ice water for him to dunk them in periodically.

I also bought him an ice vest years ago, but I need new inserts (like ice packs). Those really help with keeping your torso cool if you have to work in the heat for long periods.  They make them now where it's all one piece.

Arctic Heat
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You had one job....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Always bring a towel.

https://i.imgflip.com/7loyt.jpg

You had one job....

The meme speaks for itself.  I have no idea what's going on.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Jesus.

Buy an Underarmour shirt. Soak it in cold water. Put it on. Stay cool.

What is this bathhouse shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Early 70's mid summer we were all working out in the yard when we hear a car crash at the intersection a couple blocks away. My dad was sweating like a pig with a towel draped around his neck as we all walked down the street to see the carnage. It was pretty gnarly, one old guy was broken up and bleeding quite a bit but had been helped from the car. Police and ambulance arrive and they are trying to get the guy ready for transport when they decided they didn't have anything to clean all the blood off of him with. My old man hands over the sweat rag and they start wiping....
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Discovering the joys of a towel on the head is the first step towards becoming a suicide bomber...just sayin'.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Second Post Nails It.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I just prefer to stay in mom's basement with mah Doritos and Mountain Dew on hot days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#34]
You fatties sure do sweat a lot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I just use a couple of big bandanas, have to wet it more often but it doesn't weigh a ton like a wet bath towel does.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't handle the Alabama heat as well as I used to.  I use one of these occasionally in the hot months and it really helps.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Skc4TXD2L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

That works in a humid climate?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought my hubby boonie hats and scarves with gel that absorbs water. I put a bucket out filled with ice water for him to dunk them in periodically.

I also bought him an ice vest years ago, but I need new inserts (like ice packs). Those really help with keeping your torso cool if you have to work in the heat for long periods.  They make them now where it's all one piece.

http://www.icevests.com/uploads/2/6/9/8/26981711/14464.jpg  Arctic Heat
View Quote

That vest works? For how long?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm just here for the HHGTTG references. I was not disappointed.

But the winking, open-mouthed guy with the towel on his head? That's a reference I missed, and judging by the drawing, it's not an obscure one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

I don't believe you .
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#41]
I just wipe sweat from my face with my sleeves like an American.  Once your sleeves are soaked it keeps you nice and cool if there's is a breeze.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm just here for the HHGTTG references. I was not disappointed.
View Quote

True story.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been telling you guys this shit for years........  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Discovering the joys of a towel on the head is the first step towards becoming a suicide bomber...just sayin'.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first double post
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My first double post
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first double post

Congrats!

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Skc4TXD2L._SL1500_.jpg

Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top