Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/25/2016 8:39:19 AM EDT
I just went to switch my 2015 Colorado into 4 High as I pulled onto some rougher terrain. As I did I noticed it was already in 4 Low. I have no fucking idea how long it has been in 4 low, I NEVER use 4 low. It must have been bumped some how. How jacked up is my truck now?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
How the hell didn't you notice that immediately?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You would not accidentally drive any vehicle on the road at highway speed without it being obvious it was in 4L.

You accidentally bumped it.  I am not saying you could not have screwed up something, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it a dial? It likely never engaged, you have to be in neutral before engaging 4low. And your rpms would have been screaming if trying to do regular driving.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You'd know if it was in 4L.

Most vehicles that aren't designed by idiots will not let you shift from high range to low range without putting the transmission in neutral first.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Being a 2015 I'm sure there is some sort of over ride to bump it out of low range at a certain speed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't you know when you turned or drive at any amount of speed?  No way its been in 4L the whole time.  Unless the light is on and you don't have 4L anymore.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You know how I know you've never driven a 4x4 in low range
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe your husband turned it on.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL

Seriously tho OP.... you weren't driving around in 4 low without knowing it. Even when you need to use 4 low you almost cant wait to get back into 4 hi and get going again. Not noticing being in 4 low would be like not noticing you were stuck in first gear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
You would've noticed it if you were driving on the highway. Like engine screaming, only doing 50 mph.

But, if you are that incredibly retarded that you drove like that, any extended driving over 25 mph will cook your transfer case very quickly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
You were not in 4 low. The selector may have moved, but the safeties in place would not have allowed it. There's no way you would not have known in the first 20 feet of driving in 4 low.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
As has been said you will KNOW if you are in 4wd lo. You do not wonder if it is in or not. If the selector was in 4wd lo I'd bet some built in nannies kept it from actually going in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You would not accidentally drive any vehicle on the road at highway speed without it being obvious it was in 4L.

You accidentally bumped it.  I am not saying you could not have screwed up something, but I doubt it.
View Quote

I did once. It was push button and it wasn't until I hit 60 that noise was drowning out the radio. At that point the engine was redlined and I  nearly shit myself. Only reason I didn't notice earlier was because I only made one wide turn and the rest ofbthe road was striaght, and like I said the the radio was blaring. Never had any trouble out of it afterwards though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I think OP is reversing terms.

ETA: apparently not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You'd know if it was in 4L.

Most vehicles that aren't designed by idiots will not let you shift from high range to low range without putting the transmission in neutral first.
View Quote

It is a Chevy.

I had a Chevy 1500 years ago. It had the push button 4wd on the dash. I am thinking that you could push the button and would light up, but you had to go thru a special procedure for it to engage. I cant remember.

My Jeep will barely go 30-35 in 4L. And then the motor rpms are screaming much louder than in 2 or 4H.

You would barely be able to turn around a curve on pavement at highway speed.

You would notice in the way it drove, sounded, and felt. You would know you were in 4L
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
THIS.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I can only image the 'rougher' terrain that required you to engage 4 wheel drive.

OP must of needed to get over a curb in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Im not sure if you should be operating a motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, never engaged, truck is fine. Shifting into 4lo in a gm truck isn't done by accident and you sure as shit know when you're in low range.

You should try it op, just so you know. Stop the truck, select neutral on the column and hit the 4 low selector, you'll hear it clunk in. When the light lights, put your foot deeply into the brake pedal and shift to drive. The vehicle will try to push through the brakes. Accelerate gently and the trans will shift rapidly up through the gears...if you can get it above 40 mph I'd be surprised
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Check your fuse panel, some of the Chevy's have fuses for their electronic transfer case, my truck has one each for 4 hi and 4 low, if the switch was actually in 4 lo, you probably have a blown fuse.  Most vehicles have to be stopped before they will shift into 4 lo.  If you were in 4 lo, you would have noticed it by time you hit the end of your driveway.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Chevys with electronic four wheel drive systems have been horrible about that for the last 20 years. Switch, light, solenoid...something is fucked up. I had a Silverado that, while driving down the highway at 70mph, would suddenly show it was in 4wd.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the modern world where people are completely ignorant of what's going on around them unless OMG IS THAT A PIKACHU?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#24]
AAAHHH Arfcom

Yeah, my husband probably did it....

This stupid little nob is down where my left kneecap is. Somehow, I must have hit it. Yes, I'm aware that it needs to be in neutral to engage....no, I have almost ZERO need for 4 low. When I go onto the farm, I put it in 4 high on slippery days. I have no interest in screwing up my truck bombing around where it shouldn't be.

Nope, no screaming high RPM's, no crazy grabbing on the cement.....so I'm assuming electronics saved my misstep.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]

OP: everyone above is right.

and i want to reemphasize the opinion that you should not be operating a motor vehicle on public streets.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can only image the 'rougher' terrain that required you to engage 4 wheel drive.

OP must of needed to get over a curb in the parking lot.
View Quote

I know you are trying to be a dick, but you are pretty close to the truth. 4WD for me is so I don't stuck on the farm or on 2 tracks while hunting/trapping. I couldn't give a fuck less about tearing up my vehicle "Off Roading"
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
AAAHHH Arfcom

This stupid little nob is down where my left kneecap is. Somehow, I must have hit it. Yes, I'm aware that it needs to be in neutral to engage....no, I have almost ZERO need for 4 low. When I go onto the farm, I put it in 4 high on slippery days. I have no interest in screwing up my truck bombing around where it shouldn't be.

Nope, no screaming high RPM's, no crazy grabbing on the cement.....so I'm assuming electronics saved my misstep.
View Quote

That'd be my guess.  You two would have definately noticed it in 4low once you started driving.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I did once. It was push button and it wasn't until I hit 60 that noise was drowning out the radio. At that point the engine was redlined and I  nearly shit myself. Only reason I didn't notice earlier was because I only made one wide turn and the rest ofbthe road was striaght, and like I said the the radio was blaring. Never had any trouble out of it afterwards though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't even need sound... You should know the second you hit the gas something isn't normal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure how that is possible unless you never go over 35 mph. You should def know because it would be like having no power steering.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is a huge difference.   It should be extremely noticeable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

AAAHHH Arfcom

View Quote
See....you say all that...and yet here we are....

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#35]
So you didn't notice the (approx) 3 to 1 reduction in speed?

If your head ever got above the dash it would have been obvious.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol done that before, it's scary.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but your question was surely an embarrassing one. BTDT!

But, at least you can look back on this post and laugh at yourself.

Back when I had my Chevy truck 15 years ago, it was basically an expensive status symbol. I guess the equivalent of a brodozer except I didnt have big tires(but everything was chrome!)
I never put it in low for use, but I did know how to do it. I couldnt remember now if it was the same as the jeep or if there was an extra step. For some reason, I was thinking you had to go to Reverse to lock it in.

In any case, I have only been jeepin since last year. I bought it as a toy and that is the only reason I know what the 4L sounds like. In fact, I took it down some nasty washed out dirt roads yesterday.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I just went to switch my 2015 Colorado into 4 High as I pulled onto some rougher terrain. As I did I noticed it was already in 4 Low. I have no fucking idea how long it has been in 4 low, I NEVER use 4 low. It must have been bumped some how. How jacked up is my truck now?
View Quote
did you find you had massive deceleration? I have no idea.  Maybe switch was set to 4 low but you never got into the rom range for it to engage?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep
lol yep.  Immediately would have eaten dash at high speed
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#41]
On trucks that actually have an honest t-case shifter (old toyotas) it was fun sneaking friends' trucks into 4-low.  They'd damn near go through the windshield when they panicked and lifted/braked.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but your question was surely an embarrassing one. BTDT!

Back when I had my Chevy truck 15 years ago, it was basically an expensive status symbol. I guess the equivalent of a brodozer except I didnt have big tires(but everything was chrome!)
I never put it in low for use, but I did know how to do it. I couldnt remember now if it was the same as the jeep or if there was an extra step. For some reason, I was thinking you had to go to Reverse to lock it in.

In any case, I have only been jeepin since last year. I bought it as a toy and that is the only reason I know what the 4L sounds like. In fact, I took it down some nasty washed out dirt roads yesterday.

View Quote

Oh it is for sure an embarrassing question.....but I'm totally comfortable being the dumb guy in the room.

I may be the only guy on ARFCOM who isn't a master mechanic, professional muddrunner, and who has an AR that hasn't taken out squads of terrorists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Oh it is for sure an embarrassing question.....but I'm totally comfortable being the dumb guy in the room.

I may be the only guy on ARFCOM who isn't a master mechanic, professional muddrunner, and who has an AR that hasn't taken out squads of terrorists.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, we are all Cheeto eating, basement dwelling, printer repairmen....that have never felt the touch of a woman.
Geez op get it right, you are just fucking this all up.

I swear....some peoples kids.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#44]
how did you not know when you turned?

I'll donate $5 towards making OP change his username, he doesn't deserve the one he has now
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#45]
It's fine. 4 Low is just extra traction anyways. If you get stuck in 2wd or 4 high, you can just put it in 4 low and you'll get right out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#48]
It's a GM. None of the knobs work anyway
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Alright since the dogpile already happened to the OP, I'll share something to lighten it up.

Shortly after getting my 4Runner (first 4x4 I've owned) I was parked on a slight declining hill and waiting for someone to show up. Decided to stretch out a bit and relax, didn't notice my knee had bumped the 4x selector into neutral.

So when it was time to go, I turned the truck on, shifted it to R, and just heard my engine spin up but I was rolling forward.

Panic sets in, I think the transmission has gone out, I try shifting to other gears to no avail.

Ten minutes of this went by before I noticed the OTHER shifter was in N.

Embarrassed yet laughing, I drove away just fine afterward.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top