Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2016 11:35:46 PM EDT
Im going to Alaska to erect a building for my brother. I leave on August 1st and going from Bismarck to Minneapolis to Anchorage and I've never flown before. The flight is on delta. I'm not going to lie to you, this has me a little apprehensive going into to unknown. I would appreciate your advice on how to make this as painless as possible.

And yes I want to bring a pistol.

So please lend me your wisdom, i can use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been on a plane since maybe 2006.

Wow, has it really been ten years?

So I guess that I haven't been tenderly fondled by TSA.

But I always preferred an aisle seat near the middle of the plane. Less bumpy that way, IMHO.

YMMV.

Never took a firearm with me, though...

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
TSA Declaring and checking a firearm

TSA Prohibited Items

TSA Liquids Rule

First Time Flyer - How to Grow the Fuck Up

Hope this helps, OP! I'll be flying on Tuesday. It's been a while for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't say bomb.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Boarding TSA procedures are the biggest pain in the ass.

If your brother has a pistol you can use when you get there, that would make things easier - but transporting a firearm isn't really a problem, it's just more of a hassle.

The flying part itself is a combination of fun and boring!

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im going to Alaska to erect a building for my brother. I leave on August 1st and going from Bismarck to Minneapolis to Anchorage and I've never flown before. The flight is on delta. I'm not going to lie to you, this has me a little apprehensive going into to unknown. I would appreciate your advice on how to make this as painless as possible.

View Quote

You are talking about flight anxiety or TSA gun transportation rules?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Do plenty of stretching and warm-up before you leave, otherwise your arms will get tired too soon.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep your shoes on during the flight
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Taking off is the best part, landing the second best, sleep in between those two things and you're all set
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My advice to you is to get on the plane, read a book or watch a movie, then get off when it lands. It's a pretty simple procedure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure to check in and get your boarding passes online, 24 hrs before.

If this is your first time, get a window seat so you can watch in amazement.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure to make fists with your toes. I hear that helps
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
If the guy beside you has headphones in leave him alone, he doesn't give a fuck about your kid or its your first time or whatever.

Also make sure you rush to get off the plane EVERY time otherwise you'll get delayed if you are waiting so as soon as you land undo your seatbelt and start getting your stuff out of the overhead compartment so you are ready to disembark as the plane gets to the gate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, don't look out the window....

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure to make fists with your toes. I hear that helps
View Quote

I don't know why this is so funny. But it is lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you carry a quran and where that little cap.  Look nervous, preferably sweaty.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#17]

No need to worry.

Unless you see the flight attendants praying and crying. Then you need to worry.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Mostly, flying is boring.

Bring something to read or listen to.

Take an aisle seat if possible, you'll want to get up and move around as much as you can.

Stay hydrated.

Don't eat airline 'food', bring something with you.

When you get to Anchorage, watch out for the suburban moose.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Not a big deal, even with a pistol.  Just read up on the rules from the airline and TSA before you go.

I've been to Alaska more than 100 times (literally).  You'll have fun.  Delta has always treated me pretty well, though most of my flying has been on Alaska Air.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No need to worry.

Unless you see the flight attendants praying and crying. Then you need to worry.

View Quote

This is perfect advice, and pretty much what I tell my wife when she flies (she doesn't much).  I've told her, if the flight attendants are calm, you're probably just fine.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Listen to death metal and scowl at the guy sitting next to you. Every 15 min look at that guy and say "Do you know what time it is?" followed with a fart.

Tell him you done shat in your drawers and your there to build buildings, tell him "now you know what a tv dinner feels like".
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both and then some. Going up there without my own set of tools is frightening all in itself. I just want to know tips on getting through the airport and being prepared for a comfortable flight. I'll do what I have to do the get the 44 mag through, it is Alaska after all.

I thank you all for answering even if I don't personally answer your posts tonight . One thing that is really nice about GD is you can ask a question about flying and you know a pilot will answer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Never make a complete seal on the toilet or it will "pink sock" your rectum if you flush.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Rule 1:  Don't crash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't think about the time
Take some sinus medicine before you go
Drink water, don't drink alcohol or caffeinated beverages on or before your flight
Sit over the wing - you'll not only have less felt turbulence but you can watch the wing bounce for reassurance.

Did a 10 hour a couple weeks ago, just embrace the suck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never make a complete seal on the toilet or it will "pink sock" your rectum if you flush.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Just keep in the back of your mind that some knucklehead on GD rebuilds the major components of the engines keeping you aloft.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#28]
You are going to love it OP.  No worries.  Get to airport early, lines suck.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Listen to death metal and scowl at the guy sitting next to you. Every 15 min look at that guy and say "Do you know what time it is?" followed with a fart.

Tell him you done shat in your drawers and your there to build buildings, tell him "now you know what a tv dinner feels like".
View Quote

K
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Get to the airport early! Makes everything less stressful.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I've not researched this particular hazard of flying but it seems serious enough to not risk it anyway.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just keep in the back of your mind that some knucklehead on GD rebuilds the major components of the engines keeping you aloft.
View Quote

Or maybe even flys them!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer a window seat but if you need to go to the bathroom aisle is better. If you don't do first class with Delta at least spring for Sky. Take a tablet and good ear buds in case your plane has no touch screen in the back of the seat so you can watch movies...try the scotch.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's a Boeing jet made between 1987 and 2013, there's a high probability that I worked on the wings.

Meh, no worries. The wings hardly ever fall off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm flying from ANC to MSP on Aug 1st on Delta. You'll be fine, if you plan to bring a pistol just put it in a locked hard case inside your checked bag and declare it at check in, easy as that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't been on a plane since maybe 2006.

Wow, has it really been ten years?

So I guess that I haven't been tenderly fondled by TSA.

But I always preferred an aisle seat near the middle of the plane. Less bumpy that way, IMHO.

YMMV.

Never took a firearm with me, though...

View Quote

TSA hasn't really changed much since 06. Might not remember it but it's actually easier now with the body scanners.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#37]
First, ship the gun to your brother ahead of time, and any long guns you may wish you had once you are there.

As for the flight, don't stress it. Its just a big bus ride.

The hardest part of the whole thing is the BOREDOM of sitting around in the airport(s) waiting for the flight, waiting in lines to get in, get on, get seated, get off, get out, get luggage, get away, ect. and once you are seated and flying there is nothing to do but wait some more.

Have a couple of drinks, before and during, they'll help you relax in the tiny seats. But not too many - you don't want to be getting up to pee all the time.

And remember, airlines make thousands of flight's everyday, its all just routine.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Be sure to ask if you can fly the plane

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#39]
What are you apprehensive about? I hadn't flown in my adult life til I was probably 23. I'm 28 now and have flown at least 10 times since. I was nervous as fuck. Hated flying and always wanted two feet on the ground. Now I love it and look forward to going through the shit show that is TSA. From one former apprehensive flyer to another, you'll be fine. Everything is a piece of cake and once you see that you'll look back at this post and laugh because its silly.

I always like to be prepared so I will always have my tickets printed out ahead of time. Now I learned to just go with the flow. Get to the airport, get to your gate, print your tickets on their kiosk. Check your baggage or just carry on then go grab a coffee and wait for your plane.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Being scared advice? I've been flying since I was less than 1, don't worry about it.

Dealing with airport and airline BS, it varies by trip and pray to god you don't have to deal with much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I get being apprehensive about flying.  I fly all the time and still get that feeling.

Just remember, even if one engine goes out, there is enough power in the 2nd one to carry the jet all the way to the scene of the crash.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#42]
The first couple of times you fly is fun as hell, but after the newness wears off, it's more boring than a Sunday service.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I fly all the time.  Best advice I can give you is:

-bring a tablet with videos and ebooks on it.  Seriously.  It helps a ton
-for the ~3 hour flight to Anchorage (unless you are going direct) upgrade to first class.  Usually $100 or so day of check in but helps a ton.  Also gets you in a different TSA line that is faster.
-bring a camera with you.  Anchorage is only 45 minutes from Alaska.
-remember they charge you for food and any drink that isn't coffee, juice, or soda.
-flavors of food change at high altitude, so expect stuff to taste differenty.
-yawn to pop your ears every few minutes.  Otherwise the changes in pressure are brutal till they pop on their own.

TSA is easy, don't sweat it.
Fill out the 'checked firearm' form and make sure it goes in your luggage
Pistol case needs to have a NON TSA lock that only you have the key to.  Open it for TSA at the station, close and lock, wait for it at pickup.  NOTHING goes on the outside of your bag to designate a firearm is present.
I do recommend a wire lock with padlock to secure your pistol case to the inside of your baggage.

Btw, if you stop in Seatac (Seattle) there is a fish place called Ivars or Ivan's, I can't remember.  Either way, they do some damn good fish.  I try to stop there whenever I hit Seattle every few months.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:22:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The time in the air can get  boring so you should bring something to read/listen to.
Chewing gum is nice to have to help relieve the clogged ears that you may get due to the pressure changes.
Be early.
Be patient.
Be personable if you have to interact with people because you will be crammed in next to them in the air for a long time
Don't be weird about the security checkpoint. It isn't a big deal so just go through whatever scan they tell you to and everything will go smooth
Enjoy seeing the world from a completely new perspective
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I get being apprehensive about flying.  I fly all the time and still get that feeling.

Just remember, even if one engine goes out, there is enough power in the 2nd one to carry the jet all the way to the scene of the crash.
View Quote

Lol.

I have a fear of flying. It kind of sucks. Don't know if it's the claustrophobia or not being in control. I'd rather walk to Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Relax. If you crash.... its not going to hurt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#47]
If you weren't going for the reason you stated or a similar one I'd say don't go. lol I'm scared shitless of flying.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#48]
TSA has a long history of theft, and my wife and I have had items stolen from our backpacks as they were inspected (sunglasses usually). Keep an eye on them if they start going through your stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#49]
It's frowned upon to masturbate on the flight. Even more so if you're in the middle seat...

Joining the mile high club can ease your nerves, ask your flight attendant for more details.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Hope you have great landings.   A good landing is when everyone walks away.  

Great landing... they can still use the plane...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top