Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They didn't mention, but are we supposed to hand over our concealed carry badge?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a cop.

To those of you who have had bad experiences with the police regarding CCWing, I truly am sorry and wish I had been there with you to let that cop know he was being a douche.

In Ok there is a duty to inform, I have never and most likely will never, disarm a person who is legally carrying.  I think any cop who does has a power trip issue.  I do know a lot of bullies become cops, but they generally don't last long.  Good cops know these assholes give us a bad name and are just as eager as the public to see them removed from law enforcement.

On traffic stops I let the driver set the tone.  If they are cool, 9 times out of 10 they will leave with a verbal or written warning.  Now if the driver wants to cop an attitude or try to make things difficult for me, I will go out of my way to be an even bigger dick.  I'm paid to enforce the law, not to take shit from people.

Been doing this for 17 years now, and believe me I'm on the side of legal gun owners.  I think everyone who can, should carry.  When I do come across a CCWer on a traffic stop, they aren't getting a ticket from me, unless they are doing something I can't ignore i.e. drunk driving or they have a warrant or something.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been pulled over 8-10 times in the decade that I've been carrying and not gotten a single ticket.

Windows down
Engine off
Hands on wheel with license and CHL in hand
Nothing gun related in the same place as insurance info is located
Polite, look him in the eye
"You carrying right now?" "Yessir 4 o clock on the belt"

Never had a single ticket or an ounce of trouble.

View Quote

Pulled over about once a year huh?

Work on your driving habits, and you won't get pulled over.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been pulled over twice since I added this sticker on my window. Both times it has instantly defused the situation turned into a mini conversation about all the shit going on and a warning to slow down.

I am pretty sure with this decal combined with my white privilege I will probably never get a ticket. Also I have no duty to inform, so I don't.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just dont break the law and I dont get pulled over
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dont get this "im not telling anyone unless they ask" mentality..

if you have a CCW then you've already submitted to the law, dont be an idiot and pull that attitude with a cop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

if you have a CCW then you've already submitted to the law, dont be an idiot and pull that attitude with a cop.

Well, the only time I was pulled over and had a loaded pistol with me, it was not legal, so I would've been a real idiot to tell the cop I was armed.

odds are, if you were pulled over, you were breaking the law and you know it.

Oh, yeah? I've been stopped maybe 7 or 8 times in my life. One was for failing to come to a complete halt at a stop sign.

In most of the rest I was breaking no laws. The stops were for actions that the LEOs deemed "suspicious" behavior.

And the last one was a bullshit stop by an asshole cop who was clearly trying to generate "activity" on a slow night.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In this thread we find out who thinks you should report a legal activity to the police.
View Quote

Indeed. It's sort of amusing, isn't it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, the only time I was pulled over and had a loaded pistol with me, it was not legal, so I would've been a real idiot to tell the cop I was armed.

Oh, yeah? I've been stopped maybe 7 or 8 times in my life. One was for failing to come to a complete halt at a stop sign.

In most of the rest I was breaking no laws. The stops were for actions that the LEOs deemed "suspicious" behavior.

And the last one was a bullshit stop by an asshole cop who was clearly trying to generate "activity" on a slow night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

odds are, if you were pulled over, you were breaking the law and you know it.

uh huh.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a respectful and friendly person.

Having a gun doesn't change that one bit.

The one time I was pulled over and asked ( assumed really ) if I had a gun, I said " Yep.  My shotgun. "

I was in camo and it was Spring Turkey season.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He was fired IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haha this reminds me of this polite trooper and an asshat up here...
https://youtu.be/GXY2fImfr7Y

Yeah, I don't know that I'd use that guy as a role model.

He was fired IIRC.

The troopah oh the drivah?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was fired IIRC.

Trooper.
Supposedly him and his co-worker had just gotten the cameras in the cars and were trying to see who could get the best video. They'd egg the drivers on and then turn on the camera after the driver was fired up and cursing. At least that's what I've read here on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Do you know why I stopped you?""Couldn't get a job with the Fire Department?"

I usually start off with that before telling a cop I have a gun.
View Quote

Heh heh, I've actually been told that before...to which I replied "No, I just came from your Mom's house and she said that you forgot your lunch."

The looks on their faces were priceless...no more smart-ass after that.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

More than one LEO on this site has posted that they disarm people legally carrying and run their guns when they encounter them on traffic stops as SOP.
I remember Bama strongly disagreeing with one of them when he posted it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any obligation to inform in my state, so I quit doing after the time my gun was taken and checked for being stolen, ammo removed from my magazines and given back to me after 45 minutes.

You and I are in the same state  
Yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude.

More than one LEO on this site has posted that they disarm people legally carrying and run their guns when they encounter them on traffic stops as SOP.

There's no reason to punish the good for the actions of a few idiots.  I've never done that to a CCW holder.

In my experience it's been pretty obvious which folks have legit firearms and which ones don't....but there are idiots on my department that can't make that distinction and have even made the news when the disgruntled CCW holder goes to the media and files an IA complaint.  Embarrassing.  Unfortunately most of the time those same idiot officers end up getting promoted and spreading their stupidity to newer officers.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lulz
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a cop.

To those of you who have had bad experiences with the police regarding CCWing, I truly am sorry and wish I had been there with you to let that cop know he was being a douche.

In Ok there is a duty to inform, I have never and most likely will never, disarm a person who is legally carrying.  I think any cop who does has a power trip issue.  I do know a lot of bullies become cops, but they generally don't last long.  Good cops know these assholes give us a bad name and are just as eager as the public to see them removed from law enforcement.

On traffic stops I let the driver set the tone.  If they are cool, 9 times out of 10 they will leave with a verbal or written warning.  Now if the driver wants to cop an attitude or try to make things difficult for me, I will go out of my way to be an even bigger dick.  I'm paid to enforce the law, not to take shit from people.

Been doing this for 17 years now, and believe me I'm on the side of legal gun owners.  I think everyone who can, should carry.  When I do come across a CCWer on a traffic stop, they aren't getting a ticket from me, unless they are doing something I can't ignore i.e. drunk driving or they have a warrant or something.
View Quote

"cop an attitude"

RACIST!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a cop.

View Quote

I will also apologize for the douches that seem to fester within just about every LE agency.  For awhile I'd call the idiots out on their stupidity, but all that did was get me in trouble.  Now it's considered "workplace violence" and will get you immediately fired.

Shit floats to the top, in my experience.  Peter Principle and all.  I'm glad that my 25 comes on October 1, I'm hanging it all up for good at the end of this year.  I've had enough.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I sometimes follow this advice. If it's late at night like the last 3 times I've been stopped (once was legitimate speeding though I didn't know they changed the speed limit, 2nd was suspected DUI, 3rd was brake light out) I just hand my cpl with the license. Funnily enough, the 2nd time I was asked to get out and do a DUI test. He knew I was carrying and never said a word about it the whole time. Test passed, Breathalyzer passed, and I went on my way.

My wife wrecked on the highway once while following me in the UHual. She ended in the median and when the police got there and looked at the damage, I said something about "Just so you know..." and held open my jacket so he could see I was carrying. I was up and down on the ground and trying to get the bumper off the truck so I could pull up the median and onto the shoulder, figured it would most likely come uncovered so it'd be best to let him know ahead of time. He said something like "You leave yours there and I'll leave mine here" and that was the end of it.

I've had pretty good encounters while carrying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There's no reason to punish the good for the actions of a few idiots.  I've never done that to a CCW holder.

In my experience it's been pretty obvious which folks have legit firearms and which ones don't....but there are idiots on my department that can't make that distinction and have even made the news when the disgruntled CCW holder goes to the media and files an IA complaint.  Embarrassing.  Unfortunately most of the time those same idiot officers end up getting promoted and spreading their stupidity to newer officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any obligation to inform in my state, so I quit doing after the time my gun was taken and checked for being stolen, ammo removed from my magazines and given back to me after 45 minutes.

You and I are in the same state  
Yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude.

Hmmm.....  It's a shame more LEO's won't admit that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:40:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't admit what, that marginally-competent ass kissers get promoted?

I didn't think that was something that required admission. Isn't that how most of the world works?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I didn't think that was something that required admission. Isn't that how most of the world works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately most of the time those same idiot officers end up getting promoted and spreading their stupidity to newer officers.

Ass kissing on my PD doesn't do dick for promotion until you get past Captain. Everything up to that is based on promotional exam results, anyone can get promoted if they want.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
4th Amendment doesn't apply to traffic stops.

You are guilty until proven innocent--assuming you don't get shot.

Pick up that can!

...God, when did this country go into the shitter?
View Quote

Around 1864.

And it got worse around 1964---thanks to LBJ.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

And after I chatted about your error I would go back to the car and return

with a performance award.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't have any obligation to inform in my state, so I quit doing after the time my gun was taken and checked for being stolen, ammo removed from my magazines and given back to me after 45 minutes.  No thanks and FUCK YOU VERY MUCH.
View Quote

The cops in my area tend to be very professional and reasonable. If they had treated me like you were treated I would be pretty hostile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
how do you have your DL and CHL in your hand by the time the cop gets to your vehicle. both are buried in my wallet so do I drive slowly while digging at my ass to get my wallet then steer with my knee while finding both before pulling over? yeah, thatll make the officer non suspicious and in a real good mood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Are you one of those guys with a 5 inch thick wallet because you keep receipts from McDonalds for ten years?

Here's a thought, clean out your wallet and keep your CCW and DL right up front where you can see them as soon as you open your wallet.

Difficult, I know, but I believe in you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I DO NOT inform while carrying unless they ask.  There's no reason they should know anyway.  I'm polite, and respectful while I'm interacting with an officer.
The moment you tell them, you will be sitting there for another 5-10 minutes while he runs the gun, counts the rounds, and struggles how to operate it.
Keep your mouth shut and be polite, and only tell if they ask.
View Quote

Bullshit.

I've been busted speeding twice in two different States ( they got me fair and square) and gotten away without a ticket BOTH times simply because I immediately informed them I was carrying.

Never once had a problem with Cops while carrying.

Why? Because I'm not a dick to them and I let them know I'm carrying whether I have to or not.

They have enough bullshit to worry about without having some self righteous, couch-lawyer with an attitude making them nervous.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

I've been busted speeding twice in two different States ( they got me fair and square) and gotten away without a ticket BOTH times simply because I immediately informed them I was carrying.

Why? Because I'm not a dick to them and I let them know I'm carrying whether I have to or not.

They have enough bullshit to worry about without having some self righteous, couch-lawyer with an attitude making them nervous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I DO NOT inform while carrying unless they ask.  There's no reason they should know anyway.  I'm polite, and respectful while I'm interacting with an officer.
The moment you tell them, you will be sitting there for another 5-10 minutes while he runs the gun, counts the rounds, and struggles how to operate it.

Bullshit.

Wow, it is nice to know how to interact now that you have spoken.  I guess the couple of guys who mentioned a bad experience must be liars then.  I am honored to be allowed to post on the same board as you.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish the last trooper who stopped me was as forgiving.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you and I are in the same state  

yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude..

ONE time when I was pulled over, I was asked to leave the vehicle and directed the officers to my firearm(s).  once they retrived them they let me get back in the vehicle.
and continued with the ticket.

it didn't bother me one bit.
if it would bother you, youre probably showing attitude whether you know it or not (most people with a shitty attitude either dont realize it or dont care).

you keep doing what youre doing and you'll keep getting what you've been getting..

I'm doing what I've always done because 6or7 out of 10 times that I've been pulled over in the last 20 years, I've been given a warning and not a ticket..

it takes me less than 10 seconds to get them out, I've never been pulled over when a cop was at my window in less than 30 seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you and I are in the same state  

yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude..

ONE time when I was pulled over, I was asked to leave the vehicle and directed the officers to my firearm(s).  once they retrived them they let me get back in the vehicle.
and continued with the ticket.

it didn't bother me one bit.
if it would bother you, youre probably showing attitude whether you know it or not (most people with a shitty attitude either dont realize it or dont care).

you keep doing what youre doing and you'll keep getting what you've been getting..

I'm doing what I've always done because 6or7 out of 10 times that I've been pulled over in the last 20 years, I've been given a warning and not a ticket..
Quoted:
how do you have your DL and CHL in your hand by the time the cop gets to your vehicle. both are buried in my wallet so do I drive slowly while digging at my ass to get my wallet then steer with my knee while finding both before pulling over? yeah, thatll make the officer non suspicious and in a real good mood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

it takes me less than 10 seconds to get them out, I've never been pulled over when a cop was at my window in less than 30 seconds.

How did he act? Did I miss where he said he acted like a buffoon? You do it your way, he'll do it his.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wow, it is nice to know how to interact now that you have spoken.  I guess the couple of guys who mentioned a bad experience must be liars then.  I am honored to be allowed to post on the same board as you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

As you should be, Peasant.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the guys who posted bad stories fell into one of two categories:

1. They had the misfortune of running into a dickhead Cop. It happens, they exist, multiple Cops in this thread have talked about them. They are NOT the norm.

2. They were assholes and tried to pull some sovereign citizen shit and got exactly what they deserved.

Now that you have been informed, go forth and spread my knowledge to the masses. Perhaps someday I'll let you shine my jack boots.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highway Patrol/State Police guys seem to have a much higher number of "by the book" types with no sense of humor or sympathy.

One fo the guys who let me go was Washington Sate Police. He was pretty cool. The other was a small town Cop.

Anytime I've been pulled over by State guys when I WASN'T carrying I got a ticket. Heartless bastards.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Highway Patrol/State Police guys seem to have a much higher number of "by the book" types with no sense of humor or sympathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was actually a very nice guy but obviously takes speeding seriously. I had a car full of guns on my way to range and we BSd briefly about the gun club and policework because he asked to see my retired ID card. Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Enough

Will not:

"Declare" anything unless required by law to inform, and only as the driver
"Hand over" anything same as above
Consciously decide where to put hands
Turn on interior light for them to see in private conveyance

Will:

Respectfully decline to answer every question
Keep window as high as possible
Lock vehicle if legally ordered to exit
Decline to approve request for any and all searches

If they are upset about this approach, maybe they shouldn't have created a police state  

ETA: Here is the proper role of police in a free society

Prior to the age of the modern police patrol in English-speaking countries, state agents — often a sheriff-like official — were used primarily to compel named defendants to appear in court when another citizen had made a complaint in court against that person, usually to demand restitution for some wrong inflicted. It wasn't until the twentieth century that police agents routinely patrolled an area looking for places to intervene. In the United States, for example, as Jack Greene notes, "the American police service was originally cast as a reactive force, not as a preventive of interdicting force. ... America's police were to provide assistance on request, not to proactively intervene in the lives of the community."
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

How is not saying anything "pulling an attitude"? No one said to start yelling "Am I being detained?!?!?!?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How is not saying anything "pulling an attitude"? No one said to start yelling "Am I being detained?!?!?!?"

I have been pulled over by salt and pepper muscle head cops with their hands on their weapons and pulsating veins popping in their forehead and neck and did not tell them I was carrying and just kept my hands on the wheel and asked for a supervisor to come to the scene.

other times I would say my pistol is near my wallet, ditch bag, gun bag etc and have always been treated courteously  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ass kissing on my PD doesn't do dick for promotion until you get past Captain. Everything up to that is based on promotional exam results, anyone can get promoted if they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately most of the time those same idiot officers end up getting promoted and spreading their stupidity to newer officers.

I don't think your PD is all that typical. There are only 2-3 cities in my state with civil service boards that do that.

I didn't work for any of them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not informing the officer of shit unless directly asked or if I'm asked to step out of the vehicle. The only other exception would be traveling through a state where it's required.
View Quote

This.  In VA, they already know I have a permit when they run my plate.  I'll let them ask and answer truthfully.

In NC, I'll inform because I have to.  That's the law.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can't f'ing comply with that bullshit!!!

In AZ we don't need permits to CCW...now what???
View Quote

LOL This. No CCW needed on or about your property in NM.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top