Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/8/2016 11:36:58 AM EDT
I'm embarrassed that I haven't already purchased it. Is the AR500 stuff good? I'd want a carrier and plates. Not a huge budget but would prefer something quality.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Too bad you missed out on the SKD group buy. Check out their 10x12 stand alone level IV plates.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to derail the thread (because I think it's good you're asking) but I believe there's an area here for that.  Likely tons of info there.

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/10_Tactical_Gear.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with some level IV ceramics highcomm and others have good prices.

I'd pass on AR500
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Coated steel works in a pinch, but I'd also look at the highcom SAPI plates. They're good for the money. Throw them in a banshee and you've got a basic set.

ETA: The SKD set above is also good
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You can get a set of two level 3 plates from Spartan Armor for $125. Decent basic steel plates.

Try to find a good carrier, there's a big difference in comfort between a budget carrier and a good one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Did these shooters have armor? whats the panic here about armor about?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd pass on AR500
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can get a set of two level 3 plates from Spartan Armor for $125. Decent basic steel plates.

Try to find a good carrier, there's a big difference in comfort between a budget carrier and a good one.
View Quote

I've been looking at Spartan plates and a Condor carrier.  Carrier is only like $60 so I consider that "budget" but I've always been really impressed with condor gear.  Thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pass on AR500

Why?

Most likely weight
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been looking at Spartan plates and a Condor carrier.  Carrier is only like $60 so I consider that "budget" but I've always been really impressed with condor gear.  Thoughts on that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Condor is for airsoft. Get a US made carrier.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too bad you missed out on the SKD group buy. Check out their 10x12 stand alone level IV plates.
View Quote

I like my GB setup very much, skd is a great site vendor.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Really nice stuff.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one of those, it definitely is not great, but technically works.

My main carrier is a Blackhawk STRIKE cutaway, it's a huge difference vs the condor. Very comfortable to wear for hours on end.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Damn..they are serious about selling those. They want a notarized document and a copy of your CCW and drivers license.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/spartan-armor-systems-concealment-plate-carrier-and-armor-platform/

This one has been fairly comfortable for me.  It's nothing like a lighter and more flexible vest but when you have a higher likelihood of something more substantial coming your way it's a good additional insurance policy.  High performance carries a high price tag.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]
SKD is good stuff and good people.

I got my plates a few years ago, right when the AR500 was first being used as inexpensive armor. There weren't affordable, easy-to-get level IV ceramic plates like there are now.

I'd spend the few extra $$ to get the lightweight ceramic or composite plates. Why?

M193, that's why. It's one threat the AR500 doesn't protect against, and it's a common one.

Also, weight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most likely weight
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pass on AR500

Why?

Most likely weight

And M193 goes right through it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Cancel that AR500 order and go to Spartan Armor. I ordered their armaply swimmer's cut plates last weekend and it arrived yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It appears that the shooter was indeed wearing armor.  Reports are that an officer was able to score a pistol hit on the shooter while his back was turned, shooter brushed it off, turned around and shot the officer, and finished him off execution style.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cancel that AR500 order and go to Spartan Armor. I ordered their armaply swimmer's cut plates last weekend and it arrived yesterday.
View Quote

Those guys seem to be the best in the steel plate business.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also whenever there is a mass shooting we keep hearing initial reports from the media where the shooter is wearing a bullet proof vest when it actually didn't happen. The Orlando terrorist also tried to buy body armor as well.

I can see where Congress will try to ban body armor before they move on guns.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it weren't for their stupid ID rules I would have possibly purchased from them but after the AIM debacle my ID goes nowhere unless it is required to by law.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
This is called chain mail.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pass on AR500

Why?

This.

I have the AR500 plate for my backpack (turns it into a 'in a pinch' armor vest from the front when I wear it with straps).

Is it a real vest?  No.  

Can I wear a real vest to my current job?  No.

Best of both worlds?  No, but it's better than a cotton dress shirt if TSHTF
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Level IV Ceramics or go home.  

Steel armor is for peasants
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
There is nothing wrong with AR500 plates if you can't afford anything more. People complaining about them not stopping M193, that is at close range out of a 20" barrel. Most higher armor won't stop common hunting rounds, so there is that. AR500 is certainly better at stopping bullets than harsh language and a carhart jacket.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought Shellback Banshees and compressed Dyneema plates for all members of my family years ago. Also bought them Shellback Aggressors and 3A soft armor. Coulda bought a boat, probably, with what I paid for their gear. Its good stuff. I think Shellback has a new carrier or that you can get with armor for like $600. You should do that. Skip that steel crap.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^ this

Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carrier or Shellback Banshee are about as "budget" as I'd want to go with a carrier.

ETA: level IV ceramic plates $145/ea http://www.midwestarmor.com/body-armor/proguard-iv

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck that was a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
How about another group buy?  Who ran it last time?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is the correct answer^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got Highcom level IV plates in a Shellback Banshee.  

I don't want to be shot. Ever. But if I get hit, I hope it's center mass while I'm wearing my PC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#33]
SKD if you are reading this, now is a good time for an ARFCOM deal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with AR500 plates if you can't afford anything more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with AR500 plates if you can't afford anything more.
I agree with you, but if you can afford some level III steel plates with the spray on liner, you should have just a few bucks more and get some Level IV ceramics.  Last time I did a cost comparison, the Level IV ceramics were only $16.50 more per plate.  
Quoted:People complaining about them not stopping M193, that is at close range out of a 20" barrel.

-- wrong. Here is a M193 out of 16" bbl defeating AR500 Level III plates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vkighPlBoc

Here is some 45 gr varmint ammo defeating AR500 Level III from multiple barrel lengths.  Any barrel length 14.5"+ defeated the armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfcJ1RtnDOg

Quoted:
Most higher armor won't stop common hunting rounds, so there is that.

What common hunting rounds are you referring to?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SKD if you are reading this, now is a good time for an ARFCOM deal.
View Quote

You just missed it
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Make sure you have a wife like Gecko45's

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
If I had the money I would just get quality ceramic plates.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I have AR 500 single curve shooters cut and multi current level for cera I have AR 500 single curve shooters cut and HighComm multi curve level 4 ceramic. The difference in weight and fit make the ceramics so much more comfortable. Spend the extra dough on ceramics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
This is the armor you seek

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have AR 500 single curve shooters cut and multi current level for cera I have AR 500 single curve shooters cut and HighComm multi curve level 4 ceramic. The difference in weight and fit make the ceramics so much more comfortable. Spend the extra dough on ceramics.
View Quote

I spent more on take out for the fam Tuesday night for dinner than the difference in price between 2x steel plates and 2x Level IV ceramic plates.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Level 4 highcom ceramic and PIG carrier is all you need to know. I'm with the crowd that thinks steel armor is sucks, even though it's better than a carharrt jacket.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#42]
If you really want armor get ceramics and a decent carrier. Realistically though, they will most likely sit in the closet and hardly ever get worn let alone used for their intended purposes. I say this as a guy whom has a fairly hard to source Crye JPC and other cool guy gear. I've worn my PC more when exercising than I have while training.

I don't need all the guns I have either.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with AR500 plates if you can't afford anything more. People complaining about them not stopping M193, that is at close range out of a 20" barrel. Most higher armor won't stop common hunting rounds, so there is that. AR500 is certainly better at stopping bullets than harsh language and a carhart jacket.
View Quote
Level IV ceramic is rated to stop a 30.06 AP round... what the hell are you hunting with?

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't want to be shot. Ever. But if I get hit, I hope it's center mass while I'm wearing my PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much this.

Steel if you are a tight wad. Ceramic is the way to go.

Banshee is a good carrier to start with

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Level IV ceramic is rated to stop a 30.06 AP round... what the hell are you hunting with?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is .300 WM defeating steel armor but not penetrating ceramics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuSg2DbyduQ
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]
If I were just buying for me, I'd go ceramics, but since I outfitted 4 LBV's with steel coated plates I wouldn't have the resources to put ceramics in it.
Depends on what you are going for.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
My choice was a HighComm Level 3+ single curve (lighter than multi). Very good plates and lighter than most for commonly encountered threats. I do keep them in a Condor carrier with the cutout MOLLE. Aside from the negative comments of the HSLD Commandos here, it is superbly built and a perfect fit for those plates.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#48]
My thoughts on armor.. Its better to have than not to have.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#49]
HighCom Guardian is what I want
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top