BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 176
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah noticed the naming isn't working anymore.  
View Quote

Only works first time for each one, after that, it's random.

I've had good luck naming it what I don't want it to be and getting vapes or flares
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've had good luck naming it what I don't want it to be and getting vapes or flares
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not anymore, they patched it late last week. If you name something and it "works" it is just coincidence.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Everybody wants Vaporeon. You know what is super effective against water types, though? Electric types. I have two 1100-ish Jolteons on my gym takedown team. It's worked pretty much every time.

The difficulty on catching the common types is starting to piss me off. I hit level 20 yesterday, and it took me 3 Great balls and two berries to catch a CP218 Pidgey this morning. Seriously. That's f-ed up. I went on a Pikachu hunt last night and Caterpies, Pidgeys and Ratattas under CP100 kept breaking out of regular Poke balls (I did find the Pikachu spawn, though. Caught 6 of them in one park.)

The other thing that I think needs to be addressed is the power-up. You don't seem to get too good a return on your Stardust. You think you've got a lot... Until you actually start using it. And each power-up gives you shit for CP (2500 Stardust and 2 candies gets you +11 on a CP1000-ish Pokemon). Until they implement trainer battles and things like that to power-up your Pokemon, Stardust is it. And it sucks.

I did do an experiment, though. I caught a pretty close to maxxed out (or my level) Pidgey that had some good attacks. I used Stardust and candy to max out his CP, then I evolved him. The Pidgeotto that I got was also maxxed out for my level. So, I evolved him again and the Pidgeot was maxxed out as well. He learned new moves (which aren't as good as the ones he forgot), and a CP1100+ Pidgeot actually works pretty well in gym battles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I did do an experiment, though. I caught a pretty close to maxxed out (or my level) Pidgey that had some good attacks. I used Stardust and candy to max out his CP, then I evolved him. The Pidgeotto that I got was also maxxed out for my level. So, I evolved him again and the Pidgeot was maxxed out as well. He learned new moves (which aren't as good as the ones he forgot), and a CP1100+ Pidgeot actually works pretty well in gym battles.
View Quote

The arc at the top translates across evolutions.

IE the arc is 90% full, it stays that way after evolving. The candy and dust cost doesn't change doing it before/after.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IE the arc is 90% full, it stays that way after evolving. The candy and dust cost doesn't change doing it before/after.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. That's what I wanted to verify. I put the base 'mon at 100% and it stayed there across 2x evolutions. So it doesn't matter if you power them up prior to or after evolving them.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does a flopping fish, "run away?"

http://i.imgur.com/Ptm5dNA.gif

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everybody wants Vaporeon. You know what is super effective against water types, though? Electric types.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Everybody wants Vaporeon. You know what is super effective against water types, though? Electric types.

Obviously, but Vapes have much more HP, their max CP by level is a lot higher than Jolteons (at 21, my max for Vape is 1871 but Jolteon is only 1408), they attack quicker, and the bonus for STAB is only 1.2x. This all means that even a high level Jolteon is going to get spanked by a lower leveled Vape.

Quoted:
The other thing that I think needs to be addressed is the power-up. You don't seem to get too good a return on your Stardust. You think you've got a lot... Until you actually start using it. And each power-up gives you shit for CP (2500 Stardust and 2 candies gets you +11 on a CP1000-ish Pokemon). Until they implement trainer battles and things like that to power-up your Pokemon, Stardust is it. And it sucks.

This varies by Pokemon, and your trainer level doesn't matter. My Vapes get 40 cp per powerup. Jolteon gets about 30. There are charts online that show how much you get per Pokemon, but it doesn't increase or decrease depending on your trainer level. It stays the same. To me, spending 3000 dust to get a 40cp bump is worth it.

Quoted:
I did do an experiment, though. I caught a pretty close to maxxed out (or my level) Pidgey that had some good attacks. I used Stardust and candy to max out his CP, then I evolved him. The Pidgeotto that I got was also maxxed out for my level.

Correct. This stays constant when you evolve.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
does the naming trick only work for the first instance evolving of pyro, rainer and sparky?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

does the naming trick only work for the first instance evolving of pyro, rainer and sparky?
View Quote

Look up about 6 posts above yours.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
With the pokemon that have three evolutions it seems like the best plan is to wait until you get enough candy to evolve to the third level at once. If you evolve a 400 oddish to level 2 you will likely catch a 500 or 600 oddish before you get the 100 candies you need for the third evolution.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With the pokemon that have three evolutions it seems like the best plan is to wait until you get enough candy to evolve to the third level at once. If you evolve a 400 oddish to level 2 you will likely catch a 500 or 600 oddish before you get the 100 candies you need for the third evolution.
View Quote

Or catch a 1100 Gloom
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Or catch a 1100 Gloom
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or catch a 1100 Gloom

Finding a Oddish at lvl 30 will still net you higher: https://i.redd.it/eafo8tlb9bbx.png

Not my photo. But evolution without power ups from a player at level 30.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn it.

Just evolved 3x Eevee's. Levels ranging from 675 to 725... All Jolteons.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Finding a Oddish at lvl 30 will still net you higher: https://i.redd.it/eafo8tlb9bbx.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or catch a 1100 Gloom

I think most beginning evolution forms with high cp's at higher levels are better than the next evolution caught in the wild.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not anymore, they patched it late last week. If you name something and it "works" it is just coincidence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get that.  It's not like it was a glitch that they fixed.  They knowingly put it in there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I found two Tentacruels hanging out next to each other at the lake.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't get that.  It's not like it was a glitch that they fixed.  They knowingly put it in there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope they removed because they realized how imbalanced Vaporeon is in respect to the other two. And hopefully they will work on balancing down the line.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would hope they removed because they realized how imbalanced Vaporeon is in respect to the other two. And hopefully they will work on balancing down the line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't evolve a Vaporeon at all.  I'm overloaded on Jolteons and Flareons.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I have all 3 Evee evolutions, but mine are weak 4-500 cp versions, So I'm going to power up my evee as high as I can, before I evolve him. I'm only on level 15
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have all 3 Evee evolutions, but mine are weak 4-500 cp versions, So I'm going to power up my evee as high as I can, before I evolve him. I'm only on level 15
View Quote

Powering up before or after evolution uses the same amount of dust/candy. I would do it after so you don't risk evolving Jolteons and having wasted your candy/dust.

Edit: You should be seeing 400 ish Eevees now. Couple more levels you should crack 500.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
IMHO you don't get gym winning pokemon until you are above level 18

i am now catching critters with higher cp than ones i evolved at level 14

I have been grinding CP 300-400 Pidgeottos and Pidgeos to make candy for CP 240 pidgeys
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Living in a little 7 pokestop town has me thinking about using the van to start a little Pokémon touring business...driving Pokémon players to the city(couple million people) 10-20 minutes away and hitting the more popular Pokémon spots. Only thing is I think the vans gas mileage would kill profits and taxes would take the rest.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Living in a little 7 pokestop town has me thinking about using the van to start a little Pokémon touring business...driving Pokémon players to the city(couple million people) 10-20 minutes away and hitting the more popular Pokémon spots. Only thing is I think the vans gas mileage would kill profits and taxes would take the rest.
View Quote

There have been hundreds of Pokemon Go taxi and uber ads all over the country. Seen multiple ones here in my town. The lower rates have been $15-20 per hour per person.

They also have people willing to walk/hatch your eggs for money.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There have been hundreds of Pokemon Go taxi and uber ads all over the country. Seen multiple ones here in my town. The lower rates have been $15-20 per hour per person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is funny.

I am on level 21 but I think I need to step my game up on evolving and powering up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm 6.5 km into my next 10km egg.

I want to get out tonight and hatch it but I have a paper to write.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That is funny.

I am on level 21 but I think I need to step my game up on evolving and powering up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is funny.

I am just about to hit lvl 24. Every time I evolve something I find a bigger one an hour later... Evolve a 750 Ponyta? Find an 800 an hour later. Evolve a 696 Eevee? Find a 725 an hour later. Evolve a 775 Growlithe? Find a 850 an hour later.

You get the point.

In the end I'm not going to really worry about it until I get up to lvl 30. The most important thing for me right now is just maintaining supplies so I can catch everything that pops to help lvl quicker. Pokestops, pokestops, more pokestops.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am just about to hit lvl 24. Every time I evolve something I find a bigger one an hour later... Evolve a 750 Ponyta? Find an 800 an hour later. Evolve a 696 Eevee? Find a 725 an hour later. Evolve a 775 Growlithe? Find a 850 an hour later.

You get the point.

In the end I'm not going to really worry about it until I get up to lvl 30. The most important thing for me right now is just maintaining supplies so I can catch everything that pops to help lvl quicker. Pokestops, pokestops, more pokestops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is funny.

You get the point.

I have had that happen a few times. Once I hit level 20 over the weekend they have really been getting bigger. My office has 3 pokestops and 2 work from my desk. I stock up throughout the day.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://j.gifs.com/31gyV4.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was their objective it would make much more sense and be more effective to simply nerf vaporeon.

I can understand not wanting the name trick to work for every single eevee, but I think giving every player the option to get each eevee evolution one time seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Everybody wants Vaporeon. You know what is super effective against water types, though? Electric types. I have two 1100-ish Jolteons on my gym takedown team. It's worked pretty much every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except my maxed out Jolt is 1505, and my max Vape is 1984. The vapes will own any Jolteon of similar trainer level.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that was their objective it would make much more sense and be more effective to simply nerf vaporeon.

I can understand not wanting the name trick to work for every single eevee, but I think giving every player the option to get each eevee evolution one time seems reasonable.

I don't want any more damn vaporeon! I already have 11! I want some flareon, but the naming trick doesn't work, so noooooooooo, you get more vapes!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Just caught a Exeggutor with 1150 CP.  Do I blow my 30 candies on leveling him up or wait to evolve an exeggcute that is currently 441 CP?
ETA: I'm level 16 and have only collected the 30 candies during all 16 levels.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I FINALLY got my second 10 km egg.

Considering I've caught over 50 Pinsirs I'm just going to assume that's what it will be so I'm not disappointed.

Hell, I'd prefer an Eevee even.  At least it's candy is useful.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just caught a Exeggutor with 1150 CP.  Do I blow my 30 candies on leveling him up or wait to evolve an exeggcute that is currently 441 CP?
View Quote

Unless you have a burning desire to battle him at a gym very soon, I say wait.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#33]
My trainer has been going crazy and walking all over the place today. He walked 4.7km today so far just sitting on my desk. Have 4 5km eggs about to hatch without actually walking today. The empty maps for a half hour at a time today have sucked though. 2 of them were about 5 minutes into a lure and lucky egg at the PokeStop I can usually hit from my desk. Of course, with all the GPS drift, my trainer was out of range half the time too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most definitely. I have a handful of first evolutions in the 400-800cp range that I'm waiting to evolve until I have 124 candy. It takes longer but you're guaranteed to get some tanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait. Don't evolve or spend dust on anything before trainer level 20.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My trainer has been going crazy and walking all over the place today. He walked 4.7km today so far just sitting on my desk. Have 4 5km eggs about to hatch without actually walking today. The empty maps for a half hour at a time today have sucked though. 2 of them were about 5 minutes into a lure and lucky egg at the PokeStop I can usually hit from my desk. Of course, with all the GPS drift, my trainer was out of range half the time too.
View Quote

Same here.

It can be a good thing if there's nothing around you.

If you're currently between two overlapping pokestops with duel lures going... not so much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone else having issues getting Vaporeons?  I've been evolving Eevees all day, and I keep getting Jolteons and Flareons.  Several days ago I got my first and only Vaporeon, and he's only 753cp.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I have noticed a huge drop in Eevees around here and a huge uptick of those fuckin rats.   Even using poke vision all I see is rats and birds.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Well I was only half paying attention and transferred my 1200CP Exeggutor instead of powering it up
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well I was only half paying attention and transferred my 1200CP Exeggutor instead of powering it up
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I hit lvl 18 today and still getting shit Pokemon.  Even my eevees are <400.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't want any more damn vaporeon! I already have 11! I want some flareon, but the naming trick doesn't work, so noooooooooo, you get more vapes!
View Quote

You are certainly in the minority with that outlook.  It seems pretty much everyone wants most, if not all, vaporeons from their eevees.

I won't say vaporeons are ruining the game, but they are taking some away from what made the original game great as kid. Part of what I loved about it was the variety of so many different Pokemon and Pokemon types as well as having to decide what Pokemon you wanted to level up and what Pokemon you wanted to use when you battled.  What Pokemon you chose usually depended on what type you were facing.

A lot of that goes out the window when easily the most common gym matchup is vaporeon vs vaporeon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Ha, I just realized that the same two Pokemon can have different skills.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You are certainly in the minority with that outlook.  It seems pretty much everyone wants most, if not all, vaporeons from their eevees.

I won't say vaporeons are ruining the game, but they are taking some away from what made the original game great as kid. Part of what I loved about it was the variety of so many different Pokemon and Pokemon types as well as having to decide what Pokemon you wanted to level up and what Pokemon you wanted to use when you battled.  What Pokemon you chose usually depended on what type you were facing.

A lot of that goes out the window when easily the most common gym matchup is vaporeon vs vaporeon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I remember loading different pokemon dependant on types to counter different loadouts that my opponents had.  Vaporeon battles are so...boring
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Think I'm good on water type for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What pokemon type are good against water?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ha, I just realized that the same two Pokemon can have different skills.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC electric and grass
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know of electric and grass.

Of course, with Pokemon GO that matters a hell of lot less than it did with the games.
Page / 176
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top