Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2016 11:12:17 PM EDT
So, i need a new vehicle. mine is on its last leg without dumping 3k into it just to feel safe driving down the road. Current vehicle is an 05 Duramax, 4 door, LT 4X4 with 235,000 miles on the OD. The front end needs a complete replacement, factory just about everything, needs new tires and power steering gear box. I am thinking that 3k into it would maybe give me 3 more years

Now i went to a stearleership today and they quoted me 6k trade in and around 11k rebates off of a 2016 1/2 ton crew cab LT 2X4 with leather and an out the door price of 36k with trade.

everything is telling me this is a screaming deal, but a small part of me wants to keep the ole hag around and dump 3k into her

So, what say the hive, are the current GM deals legit? going to roll over into next month? The sales manager did say this was the last month and the last quarter of the year, so likely not going to happen again until the end of the year.

Also told me that he had 22 more to sell before closing tomorrow and to make him a real offer. I just said ill get back with you tomorrow morning sometime, but i will be buying something somewhere tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My first house cost less than you will be paying for your truck!

Does that help?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does that help?
View Quote

no, because my first house cost 450K
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Make payments and lose 4x4?

i'd keep the diesel and put $5K into it to keep it chugging.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

but the reality is, i work 3 miles from home, have used 4X4 maybe 2 times in three years, and have a vehicle i dont want to drive more than 30 miles from the house
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That doesn't seem right on 2WD, might be ok deal on 4WD think I'd do more research.

What model of 2WD cost 50K?

You could easily buy a 4WD for that.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Not really a screaming deal. I'd look around some more.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's never the right answer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That doesn't seem right on 2WD, might be ok deal on 4WD think I'd do more research.

What model of 2WD cost 50K?

You could easily buy a 4WD for that.

View Quote
this is what I am thinking, would be a good decent deal on a 4x4.

Edit: wait I missed something, he's selling you the truck for 42 then giving you trade in value of 6 leading to a out the door price of 36???

IMO that's not even a decent deal on the 4x4 unless it's loaded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

but the reality is, i work 3 miles from home, have used 4X4 maybe 2 times in three years, and have a vehicle i dont want to drive more than 30 miles from the house
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you want to spend $36k to drive 3 miles from home? You just said you don't want to drive more than 30 miles from home, but work is only 3 miles away.....

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put $5k into it, would you change your mind about it's reliability?

If you would feel OK, then drop the $5k.

If you won't, do what you feel is right.  Personally I would feel kind of hinky about paying $30k+ for a lower trim level 2x4 1/2 ton.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
That is not a deal.

I paid approx 44 for my '14 crew, Z 71 LTZ2 (I think) package.  The only thing my truck doesn't have is a sun roof.  And that was when they first released the new body style.  They weren't discounting them at all.

Having said that, I REALLY miss the '06 Duramax this truck replaced.  1/2 ton trucks are glorified cars these days.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you won't, do what you feel is right.  Personally I would feel kind of hinky about paying $30k+ for a lower trim level 2x4 1/2 ton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, do what you want OP, I dropped a load of money on my F250 front end this year but it's still cheaper than a new truck and i'll trust it for another 120K before I restore it and garage it for the rest of it life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Where's xd341? He usually pounces on these threads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
well hell, i just found a dodge 1/2 ton 6 cyl 3l Diesel 4x4  fully loaded for 39k

looks much better than the almost basic Chevy for 40k
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cause spending 8k every year for 5 years is somehow better? If 3 or 5k gets you 3 more years or 20k worth of savings how is that not better?

I know you have diesel PTSD but cmon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Where's xd341? He usually pounces on these threads.
View Quote
Oops! Fuck me I didn't even scroll far enough! Haha. I felt a disturbance...
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a fleet dealer in Whitesboro, North Texas that carries a nice lineup of Chevy and Ford trucks. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but their prices were fantastic on work trucks. I believe their website is commercialtrucktrader.Com or something like that. In any case, when I visited they had a hundred or so commercial trucks on the lot, and getting a great price took all of three minutes. Note, however, that these are work trucks mostly, so they don't have shaggy carpet. Hell, the one I looked at didn't even have power windows, just AC, engine, and rubber floor mats.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Who buys a truck with only 2WD? Might as well buy an old El Camino for a quarter  of the price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that help?

450k in Texas?!?, the bell you bought? A 10k square foot mansion with a guest house and 1000 acres of land?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I waited to spend $75 to get a muffler installed on my truck for fear it would get totaled soon after

If I had $3000 and I knew it would get me three years, that's a deal.  That said I sure would like a new truck, but that is a year or two off (unless we can move out of the city sooner, that will be the priority then).

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cause spending 8k every year for 5 years is somehow better? If 3 or 5k gets you 3 more years or 20k worth of savings how is that not better?    I know you have diesel PTSD but cmon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause spending 8k every year for 5 years is somehow better? If 3 or 5k gets you 3 more years or 20k worth of savings how is that not better?    I know you have diesel PTSD but cmon.

Because it won't be $3-5k. It will be $10-15k (unless OP has a fully equipped diesel shop in his yard) and MIGHT get you 3 more years... till your heads blow or your torque converter takes a dump, stranding you somewhere or costing you your job.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

450k in Texas?!?, the bell you bought? A 10k square foot mansion with a guest house and 1000 acres of land?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that help?

Well when you live on the outskirts of Austin, that gets you a mid level home on 1 acre
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because it won't be $3-5k. It will be $10-15k (unless OP has a fully equipped diesel shop in his yard) and MIGHT get you 3 more years... till your heads blow or your torque converter takes a dump, stranding you somewhere or costing you your job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much my fear.

I am sure the injectors are coming up on time for replacement and pretty much all the seals are leaking

also to add that my PVR? think thats what it is call, is going bad. I get a horrible surge at 60mph and everything is pointing to a loss in rail pressure
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Fuck that, and if you have to get a new truck, don't let the duramax go for 6k.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck that, and if you have to get a new truck, don't let the duramax go for 6k.
View Quote

and why is that?

its 11 years old, and could potentially cost several $k in work for the fact it is a duramax in the next few years.

With them giving me 6k i almost feel like i am saving 10k in what could go wrong in the up coming years
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#26]
They are screwing you on the trade in, you can get more than $6k for an 05 Duramax crew cab.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you need a truck?  Just get a cheap car if it's just for commuting or driving around town.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They are screwing you on the trade in, you can get more than $6k for an 05 Duramax crew cab.
View Quote

so you are the 5th person to say this, can you elaborate please??
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well just doing a quick cars.com search, they say its worth 11-17k..... But, it drives like shit, and needs some work
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Ross Downing in Hammond LA has that truck listed for 38K before trade

LT Double Cab for 33K
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Fix the duramax.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#32]
A LLY 05'? Id be more inclined to save it if it was a LBZ(sadly i wrecked mine). Anyways we have a 03' duramax still at work with somewhere around 600k-750k. These gen silverados had cluster problems where the whole cluster would die- odo, speedo, rpm, etc... Anyways it was drove like that for some time before we fixed it lol.
The 03 has the same motor, same trans- only thing replaced was the hydroboost(easy 1 hr job) and the radiator(at +600k miles it becomes a wear part) and lastly the power steering pump(not a fun job but i did it in with the radiator and fan in- 3 hour job) which is probably all yours needs. Now it runs like new! That powersteering pump is basically a wear part.
I now drive a 16' f350 lariat and its "nice" lots of annoying bings and alerts ALL THE DAMN TIME! But the seats are air conditioned!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fix the duramax.
View Quote

Sell the duramax. Some bro without a dozer will pay stupid money for it. Up here in the nw prices are tarded on diesels.

I paid 35k for my '16 4x4 tundra sr5 double cab. Keep shopping.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sell the duramax. Some bro without a dozer will pay stupid money for it. Up here in the nw prices are tarded on diesels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fix the duramax.

Dumb advice!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you looked at gm certified pre owned?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

A LLY 05'? Id be more inclined to save it if it was a LBZ(sadly i wrecked mine). Anyways we have a 03' duramax still at work with somewhere around 600k-750k. These gen silverados had cluster problems where the whole cluster would die- odo, speedo, rpm, etc... Anyways it was drove like that for some time before we fixed it lol.

The 03 has the same motor, same trans- only thing replaced was the hydroboost(easy 1 hr job) and the radiator(at +600k miles it becomes a wear part) and lastly the power steering pump(not a fun job but i did it in with the radiator and fan in- 3 hour job) which is probably all yours needs. Now it runs like new! That powersteering pump is basically a wear part.

I now drive a 16' f350 lariat and its "nice" lots of annoying bings and alerts ALL THE DAMN TIME! But the seats are air conditioned!
View Quote
They definately have a problem with them, but it's almost always the step motors and an easy/cheap fix. You can send it off if you dont have someone in your town, usually less than $100.

http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/gm_cluster_repair.asp

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

not the powersteering pump, but the gear box, which i have replaced three times now.

And no i dident buy once cry once with a read head, i bought an aftermarket and it is shit.....

But, i dont need the 3/4 ton anymore, i need a family ride that i can put shit in the back
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#38]
IM the VIN # of the truck you're looking at and I'll build your deal up for you

ETA:  I need your zip code too
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:18:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dont want to waste your time, after doing some more research, i have found that Dodge offers way more for way less

I dont really love the body style, but i can get a sport Laramie 4x4 loaded for 36k. and chevy can even touch that
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 05 2500hd extended cab Duramax with 180k on it needs new tires and front bumper fixed it's a farm truck I've been offered $16k to buy it outright and $11k trade in at a GMC dealer on a Denali HD.

Eta: the speedo is out too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dont want to waste your time, after doing some more research, i have found that Dodge offers way more for way less

I dont really love the body style, but i can get a sport Laramie 4x4 loaded for 36k. and chevy can even touch that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until incentives are released for July....
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:35:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you PM me more info?? i feel like being the end of the quarter that they are going bye bye?

edt: no offence, but i have a hard time trusting someone from the internet to wait because they know whats coming, and they live in AZ.

But i want to believe
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have a 05 2500hd extended cab Duramax with 180k on it needs new tires and front bumper fixed it's a farm truck I've been offered $16k to buy it outright and $11k trade in at a GMC dealer on a Denali HD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, but mine has 325k on the OD. Hell i dident even change brake pads till 210K on it
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I waited to spend $75 to get a muffler installed on my truck for fear it would get totaled soon after

If I had $3000 and I knew it would get me three years, that's a deal.  That said I sure would like a new truck, but that is a year or two off (unless we can move out of the city sooner, that will be the priority then).

View Quote

Yep.

$3K for three ys vs more than $3K depreciation when it's driven off the lot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

or 3k into it now, and 3k trade in value in three years..... if nothing goes out on it in those three years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#46]
I think they've got about $4-6k of wiggle room, between the sale price and your trade in value.
Take a look on craigslist at similar trucks to yours and see what they are selling for. Don't worry about the work it needs, everyone shopping that market should be aware of what a 200k plus mile vehicle needs.
Look up the vehicle they are trying to sell you on truecar and see what they are selling for.
Take a look at the Dodge trucks, they are making extremely great deals on them and they are blowing the other trucks outta the water in all of the tests.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:23:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who buys a truck with only 2WD? Might as well buy an old El Camino for a quarter  of the price.
View Quote

Yeah, because, same thing. Because, bed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Post the window sticker, because 36k after 17k off makes no sense for a 2x4 LT crew cab.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

not the powersteering pump, but the gear box, which i have replaced three times now.

And no i dident buy once cry once with a read head, i bought an aftermarket and it is shit.....

But, i dont need the 3/4 ton anymore, i need a family ride that i can put shit in the back
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on actual build date it may be mechanically an LBZ. They started doing that in 05 and the tune was the only difference . the LLY and LBZ are very similar , there are technical differences but they aren't dramatic. The Allison using all 6 of its gears is the biggest difference.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm getting older, and I like driving new shit.

Sit down and invest time into research. Now is the end if the quarter, reports to stockholders are due.

Idk shit about buying new trucks, buy i will tell you I've been right at 25% off msrp on my last 4 new car purchases, end of year-end of quarter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top